• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU2's player count after 45 days vs other Sony games in the same timeframe

yurinka

The numbers of this page are bullshit. An example: it says Street Fighter V has 6.2M million players on PS4, when Capcom said that 3 months ago the game sold 4.5M combining PS4 and PC. Even if counting 2nd hand or 2nd accounts for players it's bullshit.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
The numbers of this page are bullshit. An example: it says Street Fighter V has 6.2M million players on PS4, when Capcom said that 3 months ago the game sold 4.5M combining PS4 and PC.
Player count isn't equal to sales.

Player count included 2nd hand copy of the game, game sharing on a different profile, free PSN copies, and etc.

Last edited:

yurinka

Player count isn't equal to sales.

Player count included 2nd copy of the game, game sharing on a different profile, free PSN copies, and etc.
This website says the first TLOU had 43.5 million users, 600k new players and 390k with trophies. Explain that.

Last edited:

Fake

I spoke with Benji sales about that. One thing is getting the initial number from pre-order/sales that don't mention a heavily plot game. The other thing is the legs.
As much the pre-order are high is due to the countless of trailers that simulate a journey that don't exist inside the game. Taking into consideration the amount of time you spend in the game.
I admit, I feel that playing Days Gone (OMG this game will never end?), but the advantage of being a open world is after you beat the story mode you can do whatever the shit you want... unlike TLOUS2 linear approach.

Last edited:
From what I gathered, TLOU2 is plateauing similarly to Horizon when you measure the slope in 7 day increments. In contrast, Ghost of Tsushima, GOW, Spider-Man, and Uncharted 4 had greater 7-day slopes.

TLOU2 leg is very weak and already out of top 10 in UK(PS4 most dominant market)
In digital sales, the game got outsold by some 4 year old nobody game on PSN EU last month.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We'll have to see what the long term effect is.

LoU 1 and the remake sold around 20 million copies combined on PS3 (end of cycle) and PS4 (year two of cycle). Combined console sales was probably 110 million at the time

LoU 2 launched at the end of PS4's cycle. PS4 console sales around the same at 110 million.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
TLOU2 sales will pick up in a few months if Naughty Dog releases a 4K 60fps "boost" patch for PS5 owners. I've yet to buy the game because I want to play it on the PS5.

TLOU remastered was given away for free in so many Sony PS4 promotions and the holidays sales price was around $4.99-$9.99.

Splatoon 2 with 10M sales generated more revenue than TLOU with 20M sales lol.
Legs are legs for a game. Beyond was released in the same year but sold a lot worse than Heavy Rain (ofc I'm not comparing QD with ND). The game did not exploded with the remaster, nor it was a priority. TLOU 1 clearly was a game with an high sales potential, and it's commercial potential was truly fullfilled thanks to the remaster. We can't deny that.

If a game doesn't have commercial strenghts even price promotions won't help.
Nintendo revenues on both hardware and software are historically on a league on their own, it doesn't mean anything on other publishers achievements.

Not exactly surprising. A hugely anticipated game will have huge initial sales, which will inevitably lead to a much sharper drop in player numbers. Considering the game had no multiplayer at launch and another big Sony AAA exclusive came out just a few weeks after its release, these are about the numbers I'd expect.

Did you even play the game? Abby is 50% of it. Playing as her is not some major spoiler my dude unless you're a baby.

Unless I'm a baby? What? What is wrong with you. You should probably go out for a walk or something if a developer deciding to not drop the whole story in trailers is triggering you this hard.

Unless I'm a baby? What? What is wrong with you. You should probably go out for a walk or something if a developer deciding to not drop the whole story in trailers is triggering you this hard.

Play.The.Fucking.Game before you post stupid shit and stop embarrassing yourself with these replies. You play as Abby in the first hours of the game lmfao before the big events happen. With your logic, Ellie killing people in trailers is also a spoiler because why is she doing it unless something bad happened.... Holy shit dude.

Play.The.Fucking.Game before you post stupid shit and stop embarrassing yourself with these replies. You play as Abby in the first hours of the game lmfao before the big events happen. With your logic, Ellie killing people in trailers is also a spoiler because why is she doing it unless something bad happened.... Holy shit dude.

I am playing the game. I'm closing in on the end in fact. You're the one whining about "scummy marketing" because they "hid" the fact you'll be playing as Abby but they had Joel in the trailer. Remember. Remember when you wrote that in your comment that I originally replied to.

You are so worked up over basic marketing tactics used in all forms of media for decades that you come across as a lunatic right now. You're not even making sense. Like I said, maybe it's time for a nice peaceful walk through an arboretum or something. Go check out some shrubbery.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Why should it, the game is absolutely amazing. Crybabies can whine all they want.

Yes, I don't think Naughty Dog cares that much some guys didn't like their game. When you're an artist you accept some people won't like what you do anyway. If everybody loves what you do, it probably wasn't art.

Plus the game sold extremely well and had stellar reviews, so I don't see why they should change anything.

Don't think you're the center of the world, you're not.

I mean, anyone who played the game to the end - whether they loved it or hated it - probably didn't feel like jumping right into it immediately after beating the game.

I loved the game, and I sure as hell don't.

ND did what they wanted to, make the game un-fun.

I loved the gameplay and the additional mechanics in combat, don't get me wrong, but goddamn was that game depressing and bleak and those hours and hours and hours of going into dark hallways with the threat of clickers and what have you's with super scarce resources was juuuuuust not something I want to replay from start to finish anytime soon.

Rikoi

Yes, I don't think Naughty Dog cares that much some guys didn't like their game. When you're an artist you accept some people won't like what you do anyway. If everybody loves what you do, it probably wasn't art.

Plus the game sold extremely well and had stellar reviews, so I don't see why they should change anything.

The whole point of this thread is that numbers talk.
Paid reviews don't matter.
Do you mean TLOU wasn't art because the majority liked it? Weird statement.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I think in time once the anti-sjw crowd find another outrage this game will be looked at much better. Believe there are many people who do love it.

ZZZZ

I mean this is by no means a disaster. Part 2 did extremely well in sales make no mistake. But there's going to be long-term financial repercussions for the direction the story took. Whether that's a good or bad thing, or whether you just don't care at all, depends on the individual I guess. This is not to say Part 3 will flop, but like I said before, it's definitely not going to have the same level of excitement as Part 2.

Part 2 was riding off the wave of the widely beloved Part 1. Part 3 will be riding off the wave of a much more divisive game, that is already showing it doesn't have as strong legs as other big PS4 releases.
You have to take into consideration that over 2000 people worked on the game, the expenses are huge, plus insane levels of marketing by Sony, i don't think Sony and the investors were expecting this game to do worse than God of War, especially after putting a fortune into making it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

The critics gave the game stellar reviews. Actual players? Considerably less so. As The Last Jedi showed, if people are turned off by one product, the next product will do considerably worse.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
All evidence points to TLOU2 having brutal word of mouth, hopefully this triggers some soul searching within ND.
Unlikely. When people don't gleefully consume woke fare the purveyors always blame the people, not their product.

The bluehairs at ND will conclude that a significant portion of their audience are misogynist, racist, homophobic deplorables who don't deserve the glory that is a ND game. You've already seen it from the bluehairs at some of the woke game "journalism" outlets.

Personally, I think the story is decent, even with what some would consider woke elements. What I don't like is how they went about telling it and interspersing it with the gameplay sections. The order/pacing is all fucked up. Almost every other aspect of the game is exceptional, which probably makes it even more aggravating to the hardcore fans.

Last edited:
I am playing the game. I'm closing in on the end in fact. You're the one whining about "scummy marketing" because they "hid" the fact you'll be playing as Abby but they had Joel in the trailer. Remember. Remember when you wrote that in your comment that I originally replied to.

You are so worked up over basic marketing tactics used in all forms of media for decades that you come across as a lunatic right now. You're not even making sense. Like I said, maybe it's time for a nice peaceful walk through an arboretum or something. Go check out some shrubbery.

No, you're the one whos not making any sense and arguing over the fact that showing Abby in trailer is huge spoilers while I proved you wrong but hey keep making shit up to save face kid. Feel free to disagree with the fact that hiding Abby in trailers was not a scummy marketing attempt just to garner sales but saying they did it because HUGE spoiler is absolutely dumb. Take care.

Ulysses 31

Permadeath mode would make me really happy is if Abby dies at the earliest part of the game and gives me a new ending based on that.
Maybe then the game could go into where that army of zombies at the start came from. :lollipop_grinning:

Maybe it was a sign of a greater threat to come and Ellie's immunity could've been the key to stopping it, making her less angry that Joel ruined her death in the first game. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

The critics gave the game stellar reviews. Actual players? Considerably less so. As The Last Jedi showed, if people are turned off by one product, the next product will do considerably worse.
Also, Naughty Dog cannot rely on the same marketing tactic if they want to make a 3rd entry. People will look at their marketing with more caution now ND has already played the misleading trailers card.

manfestival

I dont think adding UC4 to that list is fair but the rest is fine. Mainly for the fact that UC4 has multiplayer but that is all. Just a thought,. Nothing more

No, you're the one whos not making any sense and arguing over the fact that showing Abby in trailer is huge spoilers while I proved you wrong but hey keep making shit up to save face kid. Feel free to disagree with the fact that hiding Abby in trailers was not a scummy marketing attempt just to garner sales but saying they did it because HUGE spoiler is absolutely dumb. Take care.

You proved me wrong how haha. Where did I say it was a HUGE spoiler. If you watch any of the promotional material it is obvious that what happens to Joel and the introduction of Abby was meant to come as a surprise to the player, regardless if it was an hour in or ten. The leaks kinda threw a wrench in that plan but it is clear they were trying to drive home the emotional impact on the player for what Ellie is using to fuel her revenge. Which ends up being the main crux of the story. It makes total marketing sense that they would want to keep that on the down low in the trailers.

I will disagree with "hiding" Abby in the trailers as being a scummy move but it makes no fucking sense how that would he portrayed as a scummy move. Why is that scummy? Why not explain yourself instead of working yourself into such a froth filled frenzy over something so stupid. Is this really how far you've latched onto the Abby hate?

Zok310

Banned
All evidence points to TLOU2 having brutal word of mouth, hopefully this triggers some soul searching within ND.
Yup, go back to making fun games or break off into 2 studios , one makes your mature uncharted while the other team do more classic ND platforming games.

Woggleman

I don't think the comparisons to TLJ work because Star Wars and TLOU are two very different franchises. One of them is a fight between good and evil and the other one of a world where almost nobody is all evil or all good. It's apples and oranges.

I think in time once the anti-sjw crowd find another outrage this game will be looked at much better. Believe there are many people who do love it.

You and your anti sjw bs...You bring that up so much you remind me of this guy stopping his friend from talking to a women.
rTPAk4a.jpg

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned

You and people like you didn't like it. But you're a vocal minority, nothing more. Most people loved the game, I have no doubt about that. I highy doubt Naughty Dog will sell a lot less next time, I think you're wrong. We'll see.

You didn't like the game included LGBT people and a woman had muscles ? Wow, big deal. They knew some people wouldn't like that, it's okay.

Top Bottom