• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan (Platinum Games) art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

Thats because 80% of it was! after the first 8 or so episodes

The amount of times Leonardo shouted "Turtles fight with honor" in his gay voice..........good grief.

It has not aged well at all, it was entertaining for 6 year olds and that's about it and at the time i absolutely loved it but trying to defender it in 2015 against the cartoons that followed is ridiculous, the 2k3 and Nick cartoons are 100% more watchable than the 80's in 2015!

There's nothing worse that cartoons that dumb down the villains and makes them complete buffoons (which i guess is a trait of 95% of 80/90's cartoons) which 80's Turtles did massively even shredder was an idiot!. Least the cartoons that followed had more capable villains who were actually a match not just physiologically but mentally for the Turtles

you're a real bright guy it seems.

No there's a lot of hyperbole and it seemingly is used often by 2k3 fans against the 80's turtles whom they hate. Looks like I'm the reverse of that and it's 2k3 turtles I despise.

But hey I guess saying 'what the shell' 400 times doesn't get old. Talk about bland ass turtles.

Russ T

Banned
It's fine. It's not consistently goofy and stupid as that movie made it out to be, they didn't constantly act like idiots every minute.

Those guys were super biased and wanted to make their precious 2k3 turtles look good.
Yeah it is. And yeah they did.

Anyone who actually tries to watch the series these days will not enjoy it. It is a steaming pile of trash.

I get it. I understand the nostalgia. Even knowing how bad the 80s cartoon actually is, I still have affection for it. That's how much that cartoon meant to me as a kid.

But it ain't good. It's bad.

Skilletor

I'm rewatching the first episode of 80s turtles now.

They all act the same. Donatella has turned to the camera to break the fourth wall once. An old lady pulls out a machine gun on the turtles and April calling them monsters and telling them to back away, and then they go down and alley and find a clothes store like that's not something to be alarmed about. Raphael does a humphrey bogar impression when April gets them the trench coats.

Raph.

Does a Humphrey Bogart impression.

Awful.

But nostalgia makes me smile about it.

Edit: LMAO

Some hustler wants the turtles to play 3-card monte, and he says to Leo, "Cut the cards, Slim." So Leo pulls out his katana and slices the hustlers setup in half.

Edit 2: LMAO x 2

Shredder has a bunch of businesses in the same block that are all prefixed with "Ninja"

Ninja Pizzaria
Ninja Drycleaners
Ninja video rentals

G-Fex

They all act the same. Donatella has turned to the camera to break the fourth wall once. An old lady pulls out a machine gun on the turtles and April calling them monsters and telling them to back away, and then they go down and alley and find a clothes store like that's not something to be alarmed about. Raphael does a humphrey bogar impression when April gets them the trench coats.

Raph.

Awful.

Edit: LMAO

Some hustler wants the turtles to play 3-card monte, and he says to Leo, "Cut the cards, Slim." So Leo pulls out his katana and slices the hustlers setup in half.

Wow it's almost like the live action movies that people like so much. Who knew.

Yeah it is. And yeah they did.

Anyone who actually tries to watch the series these days will not enjoy it. It is a steaming pile of trash.

I get it. I understand the nostalgia. Even knowing how bad the 80s cartoon actually is, I still have affection for it. That's how much that cartoon meant to me as a kid.

But it ain't good. It's bad.

Pretty much objectively wrong.

And no it's not nostalgia.

They all act the same. Donatella has turned to the camera to break the fourth wall once. Raphael does a humphrey bogar impression when April gets them the trench coats.

Raph.

Awful.

yep that the 80s series in a nutshell

while i don't think it is bad as some people say it's differently not good

The 80's cartoon doesn't really hold up outside the pilot episodes after that it became super formulaic and Shredder was a major joke that even have had his mom show him up.

Mugy

We obviously need the Mecha-teenage mutant ninja turtles

turtlesanime.jpg

Warxard

Banned

Pretty much objectively wrong.

And no it's not nostalgia.

Shredder was a jobber, Leonardo was the atethesis of a proper leader, Raph sucked, Spinter sucked. April was the only redeeming point of the show, along with introducing Bebop/Rocksteady/Mondo.

Do you actually have an argument for the Wolf-era cartoon being a better representation than other pieces of media or are you just shitposting like that Dragon Punch guy?

Skilletor

Wait...When does Raph do a Humphrey Bogart impression?

Mikey does one in the second old movie, but I don't think Raph ever does.

It seems out of character for him. For anybody that actually likes their personalities, anyway. The 80s cartoon just makes them all act the same.

Geeky

The 80's cartoon doesn't really hold up outside the pilot episodes after that it became super formulaic and Shredder was a major joke that even have had his mom show him up.

The pilot episode had some really unique things that they dropped or didn't follow up on.

Like, for no real reason Krang frees Michelangelo.
Bebop and Rocksteady are more intimidating in their speech.
Leonardo’s voice is a bit deeper.

It is funny that when they first fight the Foot robots Leonardo is surprised that when he slices it to find a robot. The implication being, that in a children’s cartoon, Leonardo MEANT to cut into a human and more than likely killing him.

I am in agreement of all the cartoons 2K3 is the best. It of course drops down in Flash Forward and I never got a chance to see all of Back to the Sewers since I don’t think they ever released it on DVD. But that “lost season” of the Ninja Tribunal as well as that arc where the turtles are spread through time and space by the scepter easily outclasses the 80’s toon and anything I have seen of the modern show.

The 80’s show has its place and made positive contributions by giving the turtles truly unique personalities and colored masks. I think it probably had the better toy line up as well. I only casually saw the 80’s and modern stuff but I don’t think they had anything like the technodrome or drill. I noticed there is a new blimp which is cool.

I am excited for this game as I don't think I have enjoyed an TMNT game since Mutant Melee which was 10 years ago. I have also been following the IDW comics since day 1 so I am excited to see that series get some love.

Sciz

Has 3 gens of Turtles in it and just underlines how stupid the 80's cartoon Turtles are!!
No it doesn't, all it did was make the 80's turtles look bad and treat them like the entire 80's show was garbage.

Turtles forever = "HURRR LOOK HOW STUPID AND SILLY UR TURTLES ARE AND HOW COOL THE NEW TURTLES ARE WHILE THEY POINT OUT HOW STUPID UR TURTLES ARE"

Fuck that stupid movie

Man, what?

That film's entire point is that none of the different continuities are any more or less valid than any other, no matter how silly or serious the tone gets.

Just hope it has a bigger budget and more variety than Transformers, while awesome was a bit limited in the environments used.

I have to agree. I'm playing through Transformers Devastation and I find everything outside of the combat less interesting and fun.

jett

D-Member
It's gonna be a Transmorphers-sized game with a lot of reused assets throughout the game. I wouldn't expect much more than that friends.

I also expect the Foot to be robots that will end up getting sliced and diced Rising style.

Ranmo

Oh god I'm so hyped now. I was hoping for 80's turtles, but official IDW Turtles is MORE then fine. Comics are so good right now. Hype train!

PSqueak

Banned
Looks like all the turtles got nose jobs. I read the B&W Mirage comics as a kid, so I've been constantly disappointed in this IP since they turned it into a Hanna-Barbara cartoon. The one bright point is that Platinum is doing it, so the gameplay could be pretty great.

I'm still waiting for someone make a TMNT RPG based on the cool pen & paper game:
dYv1jl.jpg

With "a concusion can turn you gay permanently" mechanics and all?

Tizoc

this still my main big problem with the 80s series, Raph just feels wrong

Umm Raph being the angry rebel turtle wasn't introduced until the first movie IIRC. Granted going back yes Raph feels wrong for those used to his more recent interpetation.

Personally I just go back to it for the lulz, besides it had Uncle Phil as Shredder, that's reason enough for me to have turned a 180 on how I disliked it years ago.

Umm Raph being the angry rebel turtle wasn't introduced until the first movie IIRC. Granted going back yes Raph feels wrong for those used to his more recent interpetation.

yeah i guess so, i'm just used to there more modern personalities so it makes so a bit hard going back to the 80s cartoon and not have judgement from the later stuff

though i still find them all to be to simlar most of the time and it can get abit annoying at times

edit; never mind raph was the angry rebel of the team from the start of the comicsso my point still stands

Jhoan

I'm in the camp that likes the designs as it will translate well in game. It sticks close to the current IDW comics run which I need to get around to checking out at some point. Color me excited for Platinum's take on TMNT since I heard nothing but great things about Transformers: Devastation.

I just hope that a 2D sidescroller beat em up gets include as an Easter egg/bonus ala what The Warriors did by including Armies of The Night after completing the game. While I wouldn't expect a faithful Turtles In Time recreation, it would be great it if it was something similar to that.

aett

No, Raph was established as the angry rebel pretty much from the start. I don't remember if it was in the very first Mirage TMNT issue, but it was definitely early on. In 1985, after the third issue of the comic, there was a Raphael solo issue in which he ditches his brothers and meets Casey Jones - which is what the scene from the first movie is based on.

Personally I just go back to it for the lulz, besides it had Uncle Phil as Shredder, that's reason enough for me to have turned a 180 on how I disliked it years ago.

Nah Raph was always the most violent in the original mirage comics which is what the first TMNT movie was based on.

He was toned down in the original show and became "sarcastic" instead of being a loose cannon.

Tizoc

No, Raph was established as the angry rebel pretty much from the start. I don't remember if it was in the very first Mirage TMNT issue, but it was definitely early on. In 1985, after the third issue of the comic, there was a Raphael solo issue in which he ditches his brothers and meets Casey Jones - which is what the scene from the first movie is based on.

Nah Raph was always the most violent in the original mirage comics which is what the first TMNT movie was based on.

He was toned down in the original show and became "sarcastic" instead of being a loose cannon.

Fair enough, thanks for correcting me, been so long since I READ the og comics XO

Skilletor

Yup, in the first arc of the Mirage comic, after Mousers capture Splinter, Raph says, "I knew I should have killed that Baxter when I had the chance," and then wants to rush out to do something without thinking. Leo then comes up with a plan, gives out orders and adds to Raph, "And don't argue!" Instead of listening, he just rushes out to do what he wants. He's brash, angry, and more violent just like he is in most interpretations of the character.

Yeah, the turtles were never edgy:

Really feels like people don't know the source material.
In all fairness, the majority were first introduced to TMNT via the 80s cartoons. Nobody(as in mainstream audience) knew about the comics. The only ones that did were(as I said before in a previous post) "indie nerds" that(the same kind that would've knew about The Crow, Dredd and Savage Dragon back in the day), I would guess, would be over 40 now(unless they are just younger fans that DID grow up with the mainstream versions, but are just hipstering around). I, personally, was too young to even give a damn, and didn't start gettting into comics until the late 80s(and they were mainstream Marvel titles, like Spider-Man and X-Men). Cartoons were my thing, though, and I loved me the TMNT cartoons!

I was too. This looks good though. Hopefully.

I think the designs are crap. Not as bad as the Out of the Shadows game designs, but still pretty ugly. Still, if this game plays fuckin' sweet, designs don't matter to me. Gimme that sweet TMNT gaming experience, Platinum!

Looks pretty damn good to me, and makes me want to check out the comics (and as it turns out, the kindle version of the first volume is on sale for $4).

Jobbs

Banned
Shit like this made me forget that the turtles are actually teenagers

The movie wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, that said, I never really liked the design that much. They made them look big and tough and scary, when I'd rather them be a bit smaller and less imposing. They should be short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom