• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TNG: must watch episodes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The Troi mind rape episode is an atrocity though.

Agree, this episode was atrocious. I am not a huge fan of Troy, but the Lawxana episodes were enjoyably silly, especially due to the interaction with Picard.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Riker above Data? The fuck, man?

Shit man, it's fucking Riker.

Here's my list.

1. Jean-Luc Picard
2. William T. Riker
3. Worf
4. Data
5. Deanna Troi
6. Geordie LaForge
7. Beverly Crusher
8. Wesley Crusher
9. O'Brien
10. Guinan
11. Tasha Yar
12. Lawxana Troi
900. Alexander Roshenko
901. Katherine Pulaski
902. Ensign Ro

I'm only on season 4 now, but I think season 1+2 is worth it. I mean, a main character dies! (I understand why she wanted to leave though)

I remember watching that episode when it came out
and just thinking she would be back. They barely even mention that she dies in the tar pit. Yeah they mention it in later episodes like the one where Data is dealing with the concept of death but it was still weird how she dies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

I mean, he has a beard and is alright, but no way he is above our positronic Pinocchio.

But I agree that the Captain is the GOAT, and Worf is the man too.

And yes, fuck Tasha Yar, Ensign Ro, and everyone working in medical.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
"The Inner Light" Season 5 Episode 25.

Thread over. Some of the best tv ever aired, and easily the best episode sans maybe the finale which I thought was perfect.

The Inner Light is a fine piece of episodery, but you need context of the type of person Picard is. It can't stand alone without Picard's earlier characterization.

Kamin changes Picard, but you won't know how big of a deal that is if you don't experience who Picard was.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I mean, he has a beard and is alright, but no way he is above our positronic Pinocchio.

But I agree that the Captain is the GOAT, and Worf is the man too.

And yes, fuck Tasha Yar, Ensign Ro, and everyone working in medical.

Bev Crusher is aight tho

jb1234

Yes. First season writing was a disaster for everyone, but Wesley, genius kid, came off the worst.

Two bad people still reflexively hate the character because Wheaton wasn't actually bad and Wesley did have his moments sometimes.

At the same time, I can't blame him for leaving. Wesley was more tolerable in the third and fourth seasons but that's partly because he got practically nothing to do aside from sitting in the chair and saying, "Aye, sir" every once in a while.

BobLoblaw

Banned

Here's my list.

1. Jean-Luc Picard
2. William T. Riker
3. Worf
4. Data
5. Deanna Troi
6. Geordie LaForge
7. Beverly Crusher
8. Wesley Crusher
9. O'Brien
10. Guinan
11. Tasha Yar
12. Lawxana Troi
900. Alexander Roshenko
901. Katherine Pulaski
902. Ensign Ro
Hoo-doo knows what's up.

Genesis. For me it's one of those "so bad it's good" episodes, I don't think it's spooky enough to justify the absurd premise, unlike the Riker is Crazy episode which actually is legitimately kinda disturbing. But I haven't seen it in a few years--I have about 3 episodes left on my current rewatch to get back to it.

Frame of mind is very disturbing actually. I love it.

TNG has so many amazing episodes, I find it hard to choose. But tons of people here are mentioning the all time greats!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I agree with just about all of this, but how could you leave out Worf's saga- Sins of the Father (season 3), Reunion (season 4), and Redemption (seasons 4 & 5)?
Sorry, but I never really got into Klingon centric episodes.

I guess some are okay, but I don't put them very highly on my lists.

Natetan

I just started watching these from season 3. I'm amazed that these episodes are from the late 80s yet they look pretty timeless.

I love that 'girl talk' scene with crusher and troi in their workout clothes though. So done posted a gif of it. That they scene was silly but funny.

I totally agree that one of the best things about this series is that it doesn't have space battles. I love that it's philosophical and diplomatic. I think it's very fitting of the time when the show aired that after the collapse of the Soviet Union that human civilization had united and that major war any way was a thing of the past.

Erevador

On the subject of amazingly terrible episodes, the Outrageous Okona definitely feels like one.

It features this guy seducing Terri Hatcher....
tumblr_n3bzd0hjq31trbh6do1_400.gif

and Data's attempt to be a comedian...
tumblr_n3bzpdeL0k1trbh6do1_400.gif

Dr Prob

Banned
Sorry, but I never really got into Klingon centric episodes.

I guess some are okay, but I don't put them very highly on my lists.

Sins of the Father is amazing for this exchange alone:

In what seems to be the briefing room repurposed, the bridge crew have gathered for a welcome dinner in honor of Commander Kurn. He, along with Picard, Data, Geordi, and Beverly Crusher are standing while Picard carves a turkey. Kurn examines his plate.

Kurn: How long has this bird been dead? It appears to have been lying in the sun for quite some time.
Geordi: Well it's not dead, it's been replicated. You do understand that we cook most of our foods?
Kurn: Ah yes! I was told to prepare for that. I shall try some of your burned, replicated bird meat.
Picard: I've attemted to select a menu that will allow you to sample a variety of dishes, Commander.
Crusher: (offering) Try some caviar.
Kurn: (grabbing a handful, sniffing) The odor is not palatable. What is it?
Data: The unhatched eggs of a large, scaleless...
Picard: Later, Data. A fish, Commander; a delicacy from the Caspian Sea on Earth. It's a favorite of mine; our replicator has never done it justice, but I manage to store a few cases for special occasions.
Kurn: I am honored, Captain. (smears the handful on his turkey)

Kurn and Crusher move to the dining table, joining the rest of the crew.

Troi: Are you adjusting to your new environment, Commander?
Kurn: I find the constraints a bit difficult to comform to. (casually) Just a short while ago I had to stop myself from killing Commander Riker.

Glances are cast around the table while Kurn nonchalantly continues.

Erevador

Inner Light, Best of Both Worlds, Tapestry, Darmok, and Measure of a Man definitely come out on top for me, at least those are the ones that first come to mind.

Episodes that dive deep into Picard are always very memorable.

Lagamorph

All Good Things is definitely a tie with Best of Both Worlds for me when it comes to topping a Best Episodes of TNG list.

Genesis is also a really enjoyable episode. Spider-Barclay haunts my nightmares to this day.

I'm currently in the middle of a Deep Space 9 rewatch, but I definitely recommend just watching every single episode of TNG.

Just watch roughly one episode a day and the series will last you for the better part of a year.

While we're currently in the golden-age of television (sans the reality show dreck), there just isn't anything on TV anymore like the Star Trek series. No show currently on TV tackles social and philosophical issues on a weekly basis the way Star Trek did. And most of the Sci-Fi on TV these days is mostly comic-book/superhero related, there's nothing space themed with dozens of alien races and spaceships.

I'd love to see a new Star Trek. It's been exactly 10 years since the last Star Trek aired on TV. I imagine they would probably have to make Star Trek "gritty" and "edgier" to appease today's audiences. If they do resurrect the TV series, I hope it's placed sometime in the future after TNG and DS9, rather than yet another origin story series.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Been watching S1 lately after having bought the Blu-Ray set last Xmas for super cheap(still need to buy S3-7). Transfer looks amazing next to the streaming options obviously, and the documentary was fascinating regarding its re-mastering process.

But anyway, I decided not to skip S1 at all in my rewatch and really it's been a real fun trip so far(just finished Datalore e12). Yes, most episodes are pure cheese or downright dated in tone, but goddamn Picard is still equally as incredible this early on as he is in better seasons. In many ways he kind of grounds the show and helps steer it through some of the most clumsy writing and situations making it still extremely watchable. Previous pages had some great lists of necessary S1 episodes and most I agree with, but none have been unwatchable really.

Well, the introduction of luwxanna troi was a real groaner, 'Haven' I think it was called. Featured a lame forced marriage plot for Deanna.

Also, the first holodeck episode featuring Picard as Dixon was super tame considering where later holodeck malfunctions end up going, making it kind of a bore. Cute how everyone whinces at Data's awful 40's mannerisms at least.

Code of Honor? Terrible yes, but sort of endearing in a 'this was a lost script from the 60's' kind of way.

Goldrush

The Outcast is one that don't usually appear in most lists. It's not the greatest episode, but it is interesting example of using the wrapping of sci-fi to tackle controversial issues without subtlely.

Out of my head. Don't kill me for the improvised ranking.

1) The Best of Both Worlds ½
2) The Inner Light
3) Chain of Command ½
4) Data's Day
5) Family
6) Tapestry
7) Darmok
8) Disaster
9) Clues
10) Remember Me
11) Lower Decks
12) The Measure of a Man
13) Parallels
14) Cause and Effect
15) Sins of the Father

also

Q Who
The Pegasus
Sarek
I Borg
Deja Q
All Good Things... (series finale)
The Emissary
YESTERDAY'S FUCKING ENTERPRISE how did I forget that
A Matter of Honor

others I'm probably forgetting.

I'm behind these lists 100%! Probably a different order though.

I consistently lose it with my emotions when watching Inner Light.

nitewulf

finished up...so good. Season 6 specially and yes The Inner Light just took me by surprise, I was annoyed at first but I couldn't believe how heartfelt that episode was by the end.

Where do I go from here though....I don't like the idea of DS9, should I watch Voyager, is it any good?

finished up...so good. Season 6 specially and yes The Inner Light just took me by surprise, I was annoyed at first but I couldn't believe how heartfelt that episode was by the end.

Where do I go from here though....I don't like the idea of DS9, should I watch Voyager, is it any good?

What about DS9 sounds unappealing to you? It's actually really good, arguably the best Trek series. It starts out a little slow (though DS9 Season 1 is still light years ahead of TNG Season 1 in quality) but once it gets going it's great. Of course, depending on what sounds bad to you about DS9, it may just not be right for you.

Voyager isn't absolute trash but it's nothing special. There's a few great episodes and a few really terrible ones, but most of it is just pretty average. The premise is kind of neat, but the writers mostly ignored it in favor of telling stories that would've worked just as well on TNG and it just felt pretty stale.

foxtrot3d

Banned
the fact that DS9 is more of a space station sounds unappealing, i love the adventure aspect of space opera/sci-fi.

There is plenty of space adventuring in DS9 and they eventually get their own cool little starship. DS9 is the best Trek you should watch it.

Branson

I'm watching it all, and I'm in season 2 currently thanks to the remastered on Netflix now, and keep hearing that it gets great after this. Im already enjoying what I'm watching so far so if it gets better I'm pretty excited. I feel like I have to experience it all though. It's going to take me so long to finish this lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom