• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"To Begin With? Everything." The Official ROCK BAND Thread (M3wThr33: WE HATE YOU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bah, I've beaten every song solo in Peace Sells except My Last Words.

Also having RB2 installed is amazing. It's like I've literally turned Rock Band into it's own platform.

AMUSIX

Trax416 said:
I am on the fence between Rockband 2 and GHWT. so hard to decide.
If it's only one or the other, I'd easily go with RB2.

The fact is, they're the same fucking game. There are good and weak charts in both. Either round gems or square gems can be gotten used to. Solo buttons and touch pads both have their positives and negatives.

In the end, it's about track list. If you're just talking about on-disk tracks, then you've got 85 in both camps, again, with great and terrible tracks in both sets. Then you turn to DLC. GH:WT simply can't compete with RB's offerings...no matter how many MegaMan tracks people make in the music studio.

xbhaskarx

bounchfx said:
RB2 man, it's really not a hard choice.

Does anyone know how well GHWT DLC sells?
In the Marketplace - Game Add-Ons - Most Popular section, 11 of the 20 items are RB2 and only one is GHWT (the Hendrix Pack is 12th).

xbhaskarx

AMUSIX said:
Then you turn to DLC. GH:WT simply can't compete with RB's offerings...no matter how many MegaMan tracks people make in the music studio.

RB obviously had a head start, but I wonder what the "# songs per week" breakdown is for both games over the last month.
Someone please do the calculations and report back to us.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
xbhaskarx said:
Does anyone know how well GHWT DLC sells?
In the Marketplace - Game Add-Ons - Most Popular section, 11 of the 20 items are RB2 and only one is GHWT (the Hendrix Pack is 12th).
Activision is always careful to word their figures as "downloads" and not "sales". It's probably the main reason they have the regular versions of the guitar battle tracks as downloads. Gotta inflate those numbers.

AMUSIX

xbhaskarx said:
RB obviously had a head start, but I wonder what the "# songs per week" breakdown is for both games over the last month.
Someone please do the calculations and report back to us.
A 300+ song headstart is tough to overcome. But, you're right, Activision going balls-out could level the playing field considerably. Still, Activision's claims for frequency of GHII downloads didn't really come to fruition, nor did their claims for GHIII's. World Tour is, of course, a different project, and in an entirely different pool, but we'll know how it goes come Spring.

As for numbers...if you move Death Magnetic to the week of October 13th...between then and now Activision has released 32 tracks. In that same time, Rock Band has seen 71 new tracks. Even if you remove the 20 track pack, there is still quite a gap.

painey

Whereabouts do I purchase the thingy to let me Export RB1 tracks for RB2 on the marketplace? The NXE is a clusterfuck and I have to look through 340 items so if I knew what it was called or if it was in RB1 or RB2 it would save me time

neorej

ERMYGERD!
AMUSIX said:
A 300+ song headstart is tough to overcome. But, you're right, Activision going balls-out could level the playing field considerably. Still, Activision's claims for frequency of GHII downloads didn't really come to fruition, nor did their claims for GHIII's. World Tour is, of course, a different project, and in an entirely different pool, but we'll know how it goes come Spring.

As for numbers...if you move Death Magnetic to the week of October 13th...between then and now Activision has released 32 tracks. In that same time, Rock Band has seen 71 new tracks. Even if you remove the 20 track pack, there is still quite a gap.

I've played a little GH: WT and I must say there's something missing. I don't know what it is, but I enjoy playing Rock Band more than GH: WT. Rock Band seems to be less punishing and more rewarding in some way. I just can't put my finger on it....

I'm assuming that if I'm going to be playing RB2 pretty much exclusively then the RB drums are the best choice, right? Is it worth upgrading from the RB1 to RB2 kit?

AMUSIX

painey said:
Whereabouts do I purchase the thingy to let me Export RB1 tracks for RB2 on the marketplace? The NXE is a clusterfuck and I have to look through 340 items so if I knew what it was called or if it was in RB1 or RB2 it would save me time
Put your Rock Band 1 disk in, go to options, and then to export.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
painey said:

Buy it in game when you click "Export Songs"

randomwab

Gaf, I need your help.

I'm planning on picking up a band box next week, but I don't know which I would be best to get, Rock Band or GH: World Tour?

At first, I was thinking World Tour, because I heard a lot of complaints about the Rock Band guitar, but the drums are going to be the most used part of the purchase (most likely) so I'm really wanting to get the box with the better drum kit.

I'll be using it for both Rock Band and World Tour, but mostly Rock Band.

So which would I be better getting GAF?

xbhaskarx

neorej said:
I've played a little GH: WT and I must say there's something missing. I don't know what it is, but I enjoy playing Rock Band more than GH: WT. Rock Band seems to be less punishing and more rewarding in some way. I just can't put my finger on it....

I feel the same way. I keep going back because I want to give it a fair chance, but it's just not doing it for me.

AMUSIX

randomwab said:
Gaf, I need your help.

I'm planning on picking up a band box next week, but I don't know which I would be best to get, Rock Band or GH: World Tour?

At first, I was thinking World Tour, because I heard a lot of complaints about the Rock Band guitar, but the drums are going to be the most used part of the purchase (most likely) so I'm really wanting to get the box with the better drum kit.

I'll be using it for both Rock Band and World Tour, but mostly Rock Band.

So which would I be better getting GAF?
If you're going to be mostly using it with Rock Band, I'd say go with the RB2 Band in the Box. The GH drums really don't work very comfortably with the RB charts.

Also, I think the RB2 drums are the best game drums out there (not including the Ion set). If you're worried about the RB2 guitar (which is very good, by the way, just people have their personal preference) then buy the RB2 Band and a GH:WT guitar as your second guitar controller.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
AMUSIX said:
As for numbers...if you move Death Magnetic to the week of October 13th...between then and now Activision has released 32 tracks.
Still, it's a ridiculous argument to make. It's like saying that Harmonix released hundreds of DLC tracks for the RB2 launch week. Also, I count 79 RB songs since GH:WT launch week.

xbhaskarx

AMUSIX said:
A 300+ song headstart is tough to overcome.

I think it's fair to count both Death Magnetic for GHWT and the 20 free songs for RB2... so let's say 71 RB2 - 32 GHWT.

If RB2 is going to be releasing twice as much DLC as GHWT, it would be a smart idea for Harmonix to go after some of the more popular GHWT songs and make it increasingly superfluous to new consumers who are choosing between the two games by comparing song lists.

I bought more Rock Band DLC when they didn't release loads every week. It's overwhelming the number of tracks put out now. I can't afford to just buy them all and in turn thats made me more picky with my purchases.

AMUSIX

TAJ said:
Still, it's a ridiculous argument to make. It's like saying that Harmonix released hundreds of DLC tracks for the RB2 launch week. Also, I count 79 RB songs since GH:WT launch week.
What argument? xbhaskarx asked for number of songs released in the past month, I took the number of songs released for GH and compared them to the number of songs released for RB. It has nothing to do with the hundreds of tracks previously released for RB.

However, my previous point (that it's ultimately about the track list) does have to do with those tracks, and, unfortunately for Activision, it's nearly impossible for them to catch up. The only thing they can do is keep buying up exclusives. Not the greatest practice (I find it horrid) but there's not many other options.

McBradders

Finncognito said:
Got mah Rawk Band 2!:D

Fucking Gameplay are fucking with me. Not only did they not acknowledge my cancellation request for MK vs DC, they haven't sent me Rock Band 2.

Wankerssssssssssssss!

To be honest, if you order an MK game you deserve trouble.

Listening to my "most played" playlist; I wanna play drums for Who Was In My Room Last Night. C'mon, GH2 re-release!

Bah, Game haven't even shipped me my RB2 and Tomb Raider apparently and now their order status is dead so I can't check, if L4D wasn't out and I didn't have next week off I'd be much more annoyed right now, I wanna drum train damnit.

McBradders said:
Fucking Gameplay are fucking with me. Not only did they not acknowledge my cancellation request for MK vs DC, they haven't sent me Rock Band 2.

Wankerssssssssssssss!

they are going to ruin International GAF saturday!! :(

McBradders

TheGreatDave said:
To be honest, if you order an MK game you deserve trouble.

Listening to my "most played" playlist; I wanna play drums for Who Was In My Room Last Night. C'mon, GH2 re-release!

You shut your damned mouth, unless it has my copy of Rock Band 2 in it... in which case; GIMME!

<3 u dave

painey

just found out game and gameplay havent received their stock.. livid. I cant cancel my order with game because I used my points up.

solid2snake said:
any infos about Rock Band 2 for Wii?

According to Amazon it looks like the software is delayed to the 12/22 but the bundle is bumped to 12/30. The individual instruments are still coming out on 12/16. Don't know if any of that is really accurate, that's just what Amazon says.

McBradders

painey said:
just found out game and gameplay havent received their stock.. livid. I cant cancel my order with game because I used my points up.

Oh fuck, really? I'm currently in a livechat with a gameplay representative, looks like I'll be up early tomorrow scouting for a copy elsewhere then.

ANGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

EDIT: Gameplay has indeed not recieved stock. Wanker suppliers. I booked a day off work and everything :( :( :( :( :( :(

VistraNorrez said:
According to Amazon it looks like the software is delayed to the 12/22 but the bundle is bumped to 12/30. The individual instruments are still coming out on 12/16. Don't know if any of that is really accurate, that's just what Amazon says.

well, i live in Yulope and we just got the 360 version of RB2 :/
i'm planing in getting GHWT, but personally i'm more interested in RB2 for Wii... oh well.

Bah, no wonder they didn't attempt to take the money earlier in the week like they did for Tomb Raider. Now I just need the damn order page to work so I can cancel and pick it up in town Saturday.

TAJ

AMUSIX said:
What argument?
The idea that Death Magnetic should count when it came out six weeks before GH:WT, and was usable in GH3.
If you're going to count DLC from a previous game that happens to work later in GH:WT, you might as well say that RB2 has had 400 DLC songs released since September.
Or if we wanted a more fair comparison, we could throw in the six weeks of RB DLC before the GH:WT release date.

McBradders

painey said:

Shopto.net have it in stock... trying to order there :D

xbhaskarx

TheGreatDave said:
I bought more Rock Band DLC when they didn't release loads every week. It's overwhelming the number of tracks put out now. I can't afford to just buy them all and in turn thats made me more picky with my purchases.

Right, having more choice is better for the consumer, now you can buy only the high-quality DLC instead of desperately buying up everything that is available.

xbhaskarx said:
Right, having more choice is better for the consumer, now you can buy only the high-quality DLC instead of desperately buying up everything that is available.

It's better for the customer, but at the same time I kinda feel like my enthusiasm for DLC in the RB franchise has dimished a little. Probably because I'm sick of scrolling through hundreds of songs in RB1 so much as anything else.

Harmonix, may I suggest:

Blast From the Past Pack 01

Godzilla
Bark at the Moon
Crossroads
No One Knows
Killer Queen
Ziggy Stardust
Bad Reputation
Who Was In My Room Last Night?
Hangar 18
John the Fisherman
Search & Destroy
Crazy On You

TAJ

TheGreatDave said:
But then we have a whole new bunch of problems.
But hyperspeed, full albums and hyperspeed. Also, hyperspeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom