• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To smartphone owners: Will you get a PlayStation Vita?

Labadal

Ultima_5 said:
Why are we getting so many doom and gloom threads about handhelds?

This is not a gloom and doom thread. I actually think the Vita will be successful at this price point as long as we get a steady flow of games coming.

I game a ton on my iphone but you are limited to the type of games that you can actually enjoy on it. The Vita is open to so many possibilities with its two touch screens, two sticks, and physical buttons.

YES! I have a Nexus One and I will be getting a PSV. It will join my PSP 1000, Go and DSL and they will hang out together!

Massa

It will have exclusive first party Sony games and remote play so I can play PS3 games while the gf watches TV. That's more than enough to justify the platform for me.

I also have a smartphone and play the occasional time-killer on it (Angry Birds, GameDevStory, etc) but that doesn't compete with the gaming I'll do on the Vita in the slightest.

Labadal

FJ0372 said:
Yep, However the results on this forum will be very biased considering we are gamers.

Well, I posted it here, because I'm interested in what actual gamers thought and their reasoning.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I usually wait out handhelds. Let them go through hardware revisions and price drops first. Not to mention building up a library. Vita is appealing, just not day one appealing. So, what _dementia said. Eventually.

cloudyy

No. But hey, I don't have a smartphone either and I wasn't interested in the psp. I might maybe get a 3DS though, only for Paper Mario.

Don

I played games on my iPhone like Angry Birds, Infinity Blade, Mirror's Edge, Flick Kick Football and Game Dev Story quite a bit while at university, but haven't played anything on it since I finished a few months ago.

I still play my PSP and DS all the time and will definitely be getting a 3DS and Vita at some point, although probably not straight away since I still have a lot of PSP/DS games to play through.

pramath

Banned
I have an Android phone, and an iPod Touch. I still have a DS that I regularly use, a 3DS that gets decent usage too (although more from playing DS games than anything else), and I plan on getting the Vita as well.
Barring Game Dev Story, I have not played a single game on my smartphone that is compelling to play and can actually hold my attention beyond a casual level for more than five minutes.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If people want to base arguments or stupid facts for creating debates or news on handhelds vs smartphones then go ahead. It's all stupid and was annoying like last month.

I buy the games I want for the platforms I want. I have little interest in smartphone gaming and that will never replace my handheld as my go to for games. If anything, the advent of apps and such on the Vita (and 3DS to a lesser extent) is going to take more time away from those particular things on smartphones.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I have a HTC Wildfire, so pretty useless for smartphone games anyway, but on a £12 contract, phone was free and does everything I need a smartphone to do.

Would I want to be pay like £200 and some insane £35 per month tariff just to play the paltry few iOS games that interest me, or instead buy a Vita flat out for that price and hope the most interesting wisely get ported to the multi-touch screen Vita for extra revenue anyway.

CoG

Nope. Have an iPod Touch and iPad and that's all the portable gaming I need. I'll save the epic type games for the TV.

KAL2006

Banned
Of course, but I won't buy it day 1, I never buy hardware day 1, due to quick price drops (3DS, PS3), hardware problems (screen scratching, RROD) and lack of games. However I will buy a Vita a year down the line, when I may be able to for cheaper price or a good bundle, as well as games prices of titles I have missed earlier will go down I will get a Vita as long as it has games I want to play. So far I am interested in Uncharted, Hotshots Golf and LittleBigPlanet and maybe Gravity Daze if it gets good reviews.

As for owning a Smartphone, I do own a iPhone, and I play the occasional game on it, I actually think iOS games are more appropriate to play on the go. Before I never used to play games on the go, but with iPhone, and can play a quick game of Angry Birds or Doodle Jump while I am on the go. But most of the time, I use my iPhone to web browse or listen to music. As for why I would want a handheld like 3DS or Vita as I reckon iPhone games are more suitable for gaming on the go. Is because I mainly play handhelds at home, or when going out in a long journey, holidays, staying over in another place, long trips and etc. TO be honest I bet many people will say the same thing, there are so many DS's that sold, yet I barely see anyone playing DS outside, it just shows that many people use handhelds for the same reason I do.

And like one of the above posters has said, heavy gaming on a phone isn't good as I wouldn't want my phone battery to die, I rather play light games like Angry Birds on a phone for 5-15 mins than play a proper game and kill of all my battery life on my phone.

Yeah, I will. I game on my phone, but have yet to find anything that can keep my attention for more than twenty minutes or so (besides game dev story).

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
get2sammyb said:
Just a heads up: Vita will do much more than this. But I guess it's down to Sony to inform you of that, not me. Clearly the messaging hasn't got through to you yet though.

None of the announced features interest me. For me it comes down to being able to get my handheld fix from a device I always have on me.

Got an iPhone and yes definitely getting a Vita. There are good games on the iPhone but they don't give the same experience as a full fledged handheld gaming device.

Hyuga

Banned
Ultima_5 said:
Why are we getting so many doom and gloom threads about handhelds?
People are believing what the "media" tells them.
"olololol smartphones are replacing handhelds" bullcrap

odhiex

I am planning to get one, the wifi ver. Probably not the 3G one.

Yes I do have a samsung android phone, a galaxy tab and my sister got an i-phone.

inner-G

Banned
Yes!

When I got my iPhone I gamed a lot on it, but rarely do anymore. Relying solely on touch input doesn't cut it.

StuBurns

Banned
Yes, but I'm not going to be carrying it anywhere. That's not to say I game on my phone, I don't, those games are shit.

orioto

Good Art™
Hm i would say a board like Neogaf is probably the place in the world where you'll find the most people who could indeed buy a vita despite having a smartphone.. The answers won't be that much of a legitimate picture.

Dali

What would I need a vita for if I've got a smartphone? Touchscreen controls are the pinnacle of video game input.

Probably at launch. I have a windows phone, the HTC trophy that I love, but I only have two games on it. I play things on my 3ds way more than I do on my phone.

I need my phone for work. I can't really be chewing up my battery playing games on it. Plus I have bought the currently available hames that interest me, zombies!!! and Pac Man Championship edition DX.

The vita looks powerful and fully featured. Plus there's that silent hill exclusive to think about.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Smartphone gaming is a joke and I've had my fill.

Will I get a Vita? When it runs a wide range of emulators, sure. No interest in playing console ports on it.

orioto said:
Hm i would say a board like Neogaf is probably the place in the world where you'll find the most people who could indeed buy a vita despite having a smartphone.. The answers won't be that much of a legitimate picture.
I believe that Sony are initially aiming at hardcore gamers with the vita. The question makes sense. If we weren't going to get the vita that'd tell you a lot, and I'm sure wider uptake will come when the price drops.

Vita can make Sony money selling to enthusiasts with its off the shelf components and break even hardware price.

Kyaw

Depends what kind of games Vita offer.

I don't game on my smartphone so that is not the deciding factor of me getting a Vita or not.

PerZona

Yeap i will get a Vita. But that has nothing to do with me owning a smartphone or not, i hardly play games on my smartphone at the first place.

iOS and Andriod games tend to get boring quickly. No replay value at all.

JimboJones

Yeah sure, rarley play games on my phone there crap and waste battery for calls.
Once there is a bunch of games on it i want and launch hardware bugs are ironed out i'll be interested.

Labadal

StuBurns said:
Yes, but I'm not going to be carrying it anywhere. That's not to say I game on my phone, I don't, those games are shit.

Oh, don't get me wrong, my portables have never ever left the house. I play them in bed mostly, or when the TV+computer are being used by other people. A couple of months ago I was sick, so I was bedridden for 3-4 days. The PSP became my best friend. And I still play it on a regular basis.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
EviLore said:
Smartphone gaming is a joke and I've had my fill.

Will I get a Vita? When it runs a wide range of emulators, sure. No interest in playing console ports on it.
That seems a little strange - wanting to play emulated games but not ports, I mean.

Anyway, far as I know, not many console ports have even been announced yet. Mortal Kombat, Blazblue and, I'm guessing the CoD game will be a port as well. Not a huge lineup there. We also have to remember that since it'll likely get a bigger following in Japan, they won't have very many console games to port, so we're safe on that end.

Naar

Of course I'll get a Vita.

Vita = gaming and everything else is a bonus

Phone = calling/texting and gaming is a bonus that I personally use for 5-10 minutes once a month (or even more) and the games I would think of playing on a phone is stuff like Angry Birds which you can play a level in less than a minute and shut it down.

Battery is important and I don't want to waste my phones battery playing games when I could have important calls coming in.

I currently have a DS, DSi, PSP-1000, PSP-2000, Android phone, laptop, and getting a tablet next month and will be getting a Vita when it's out. Because all of these things have their different uses and advantages.

EDIT: I knew I forgot the 3DS that I have :O

Top Bottom