• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To you people who post those "free magazine" links: thanks a lot, a$$holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason

I just got a call from Stuff wanting to know how I was enjoying the subscription. And that, oh yeah, the price is going up from $1-something an issue to $3-something an issue, but I get to keep the low $1 price when they go ahead and renew me for another 2 years. Then she hung up before I could respond.

Mason said:
I just got a call from Stuff wanting to know how I was enjoying the subscription. And that, oh yeah, the price is going up from $1-something an issue to $3-something an issue, but I get to keep the low $1 price when they go ahead and renew me for another 2 years. Then she hung up before I could respond.
NEVER get those. They're just a way to get your info.... legally.

if you gave a credit card number for a "free" subscription, then thats your own fault. If you didn't give a credit card number, then what are you worried about?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
To be honest, my family members and I have way too many free magazine subscriptions (I'm talking about 10-20 subscriptions), and we've never received a problem ever. Perphaps you should call customer service or check the Stuff website (magazine sites usually have a customer service page that allows you to check your subscription status, if the bill is paid, etc.) I usually check my status on each of my subscriptions to make sure there's no hidden fees occuring

Anyway, I don't think this phone call means you're gonna have to pay for your free subscription. They're just telling you that the price is up, but that doesn't mean crap since you didn't pay for your bill. I'd check your status on your subscription and if it says the bill is already paid, don't worry about it. It's common for the magazine to ask if you're liking the magazine, and they'll try to pursuade you to renew the subscription or whatever.

And I've actually had a few magazines where I was renewed automatically without me consenting to a renewal. And somehow those renewals were already paid :p

If they re-subscribe you and get a bill, you can choose not to pay it since if you agree to subscribe, they should be recording you saying that you understand that you're being renewed. Also, anytime you get a free publication, you are thrown onto a "comp list" that the publishers maintain, and they have the right to contact you, or in this case, make an offer for subscriptions.

Pimpwerx

I don't know what free sub you got where you had to give away any real info. My free subs to Stuff, FHM, Maxim, PC Mag and XBN :lol: all come under various aliases and variations of my name, and the most information I've had to give for any of them has been my throw-away email address. :D If you gave out any info that could let them bill you, then you really didn't get a free sub. Call them back, bitch them out, ask to speak to a manager if they resist, and bitch that person out too. If they don't fold after 10 minutes, tell them you're calling back with your bank. That gets me out of the worst jams. PEACE.

SKluck

Banned
Only time those retards called me about the free subscriptions is to see how I liked it, and that I was going to get a prize or some shit? And a complimentary extra 3 years added to my sub...

Happened 3 times, never got any damn prize. Dunno what the point of that was, I think they were supposed to ask me to buy something, but they didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom