• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toby Kebbell claims he is "done" as Doctor Doom unless Marvel Studios gets him back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Are we posting our favorite Doom panels? Cause I love this one

iIy3svO.jpg

Curse that fool, Philips!

From the greatest Marvel Saga of all time.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
If Andrew Garfield didn't make the leap, this dude doesn't have a prayer.

MCU Doom should be Mads Mikkelson, but they wasted him on a nothing villain in Doctor Strange.

...Who else from the 2015 FF would come back?

And Kinberg is saving face by talking about a sequel to that. You would have to be crazy to think the FF isn't a poisoned well unless it was buoyed by the MCU's good will.

No one wants this version of Doom.

Sadly don't even remember who this guy is. Partly because no one has put a picture of him without the "Doom" suit on lol.

Iceman

Based on the quotes in the OP it reads like he's ashamed of the Doom he portrayed and that it was afar cry from the Doom that could stomp Thor in the comics. He's admitting that he represents a weak version of the character and it couldn't stand up to a MCU interpretation.

Now, if somehow Marvel takes the reigns from Fox on FF and also decides to build on Kebbel's Doom then he'd be all in.

Of course, that's a fools hope. But why not send out that message to Marvel, just in case?

CazTGG

DOOM WAS NOT PLEASED WITH HIS PORTRAYAL IN THIS FILM! DOOM WILL ONLY RETURN IF GRANTED THE OPPORTUNITY TO KICK CAPTAIN AMERICA IN THE STOMACH.

All this shade thrown at him in here but I think he's a dope actor and would have killed it if they gave him something good to work with

Oh well. Fox is fucking killing it with some of the xmen stuff right now. Legion the best comic show by far. And Logan is getting that "best since dark knight" buzz

F4 is a dud for them. Just cut their losses short already

smurfx

get some go again
lol if anybody from the fantastic 4 movies think they will ever be invited on any new disney ff4 movies.

I'm confused why everyone is wiping their ass on Toby here:

He straight up said "Doom is too good to be stuck in those shitty Fantastic Four movies. I'd only come back if he was being lent to Marvel."

Which is, last I checked, the exact same fuckin' shit 98% of you guys have been saying since 2006?

Am I wrong here? I'm pretty sure I'm not.

edit: JD said almost the exact same thing I did, heh.

Zombine

Banned
Who can pull off the corny theatrics of Doom? I'm assuming that they would want someone young enough to stay with the part, but old enough to go toe to toe with some of their older cast.

If Sam Neill wasn't so old I would say him, but even he is too small. Would love it if Michael Shannon made a jump to the MCU but I'm not sure he would be down for it either.

Who can pull off the corny theatrics of Doom? I'm assuming that they would want someone young enough to stay with the part, but old enough to go toe to toe with some of their older cast.

If Sam Neill wasn't so old I would say him, but even he is too small. Would love it if Michael Shannon made a jump to the MCU but I'm not sure he would be down for it either.

ACTUALLY doing doom correctly would mean that casting doesn't actually matter. He should be behind a mask the entire time sort of like V from V for Vendetta- post secret wars Doom aside.

Get a decent voice actor and you're set- and you can get one of those that's good for 50 years.

Zombine

Banned
ACTUALLY doing doom correctly would mean that casting doesn't actually matter. He should be behind a mask the entire time sort of like V from V for Vendetta- post secret wars Doom aside.

Get a decent voice actor and you're set- and you can get one of those that's good for 50 years.

That's...100% true. I wasn't thinking about it from that angle.

This is why the Mads Mikkelsen fan casting never made sense to me. Why would you want Mads to do a role where he can't use his face?

- J - D -

I'm confused why everyone is wiping their ass on Toby here:

He straight up said "Doom is too good to be stuck in those shitty Fantastic Four movies. I'd only come back if he was being lent to Marvel."

Which is, last I checked, the exact same fuckin' shit 98% of you guys have been saying since 2006?

Am I wrong here? I'm pretty sure I'm not.

edit: JD said almost the exact same thing I did, heh.

You are wrong though, Bobby. 98% is a bit too conservative an estimate. :D

Anung

Un Rama
It's a shame as Tony Kebell is a great actor with the right material. Not even Mads Mikkelson, who I'd cast as Doom, could have made this material work.

Edit: Plus Christ Marvel had Mads and wasted him on a bland Dr Strange 2D villain.

Still, while recognizing that the reboot's serious tone didn't work, producer Simon Kinberg says that Fox is still interested in making a sequel — just as long as it's ready to be made and hews closer to the comics.

hahaha, yeah, it was really the actually well framed serious shots and not the 'we doing exposition now' flat reshoot shots that were the problem. Or the choice in music, something I'm really convinced now Kinberg is fucking terrible at (to be fair, not knowing music tends to correlate with not knowing story, and Kinberg is two for two on that one, so that's not surprising), and not paying off what was set up before. However, that one was because it was a last-ditch patch effort by committee.
Honestly though, they should have released the Trank cut, because that would have been interesting, even as a failure.
I mean, the one thing that the Fantastic Four have that nobody else in comics gets to have, is family. That was really the only point it needed to sell, and the Trank shots show signs of that being the aim, so that cut probably worked as a movie of the F4.

As for "give Doom to Marvel", after having seen Dr. Strange where a cape out-characters every magician in the movie. I'm going to say 'no thanks' to "dark magic science man". Just have an Iron Man clone go dark, problem solved. Oh wait, they already kinda tried that with Ultron. Hey, remember how that villain was supposed to be the all-awesome according to comic gaf? Because the movie version sure wasn't.

There is no magic solution here, nor does having Doom in the MCU make any difference. In fact, it's mostly Reed you would need because of that council of Ricks thing. Doom? Pfff.

come at me, comic gaf.

The Kree

Banned
As for "give Doom to Marvel", after having seen Dr. Strange where a cape out-characters every magician in the movie. I'm going to say 'no thanks' to "dark magic science man". Just have an Iron Man clone go dark, problem solved. Oh wait, they already kinda tried that with Ultron. Hey, remember how that villain was supposed to be the all-awesome according to comic gaf? Because the movie version sure wasn't.

There is no magic solution here, nor does having Doom in the MCU make any difference. In fact, it's mostly Reed you would need because of that council of Ricks thing. Doom? Pfff.

come at me, comic gaf.

OK, this is good, this is good... lets get the rest of the bad ideas out of the way now. Keep it going.

Kid Ying

He was the worst part of that movie, and that's saying something. The last fight is seriously the worst fight i have ever saw in a Hollywood movie made with money. It's unbelievably bad.

Although i dont think tbe movie is as bad as people say, that last part is insane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom