• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today is the 25th anniversary of Tomb Raider

stranno

Or8MH9W.jpg

According videogameschronicle.com, today is the 25th anniversary of the game. I haven't seen the exact day before (because Europe and release dates).

The game was a temporal exclusive on Sega Saturn, it didn't came out on Playstation and Windows until the 15th of November 1996. But, on the other hand, with some improvements over the Saturn version.

SSfox

Just replayed recently 3, Legend and Underworld. I wish we got remaster but Square Enix super slow at thinking as usual.

SirTerry-T

Brilliant game, brilliant character.
I do think the franchise lost something though when it's development went overseas. It was very much the jewel in the crown for the UK Dev scene.
I used to work alongside the late Neal Boyd, the head environment artist and level designer before he left the studio I was with to go and work at Core Design and the game that would become Tomb Raider, a great fella with lots of stories to tell about the industry.

Alpha Male

One of my favorite games as well as gaming experiences of all time!

The music was and still is phenomenal!

I had just gotten my first surround sound home theater system but I don't think this game or any other game had been coded for Dolby surround yet.....was still able to play with fake surround. The memorable experience really came from CD quality sound of PS1 because very few games had that in 1996.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

In the original concept art, you could clearly see the influence of Aeon Flux art style. Her signature weapons were dual Uzis at that point. My opinion on puppy fat, bow and arrows Lara is no thanks. Call me stuck in the 90s if you like, I don't care. I'm never watching Hunger Games, and that is also some crusty old nonsense at this point anyway.

I don't care, laugh at me but here's the thing: She had more personality with her one liners and as a basic character that only spoke on cut-scenes than right now with her mommy and daddy issues or as they call it a "complex character" now:

I swear if the next game is another beginning i'm going to lose it.

tommib

I don't care, laugh at me but here's the thing: She had more personality with her one liners and as a basic character that only spoke on cut-scenes than right now with her mommy and daddy issues or as they call it a "complex character" now:

She was such a strong character. How did they go from sassy and intelligent to tortured dumb princess in distress. Bloody hell.

SirTerry-T

It needs the same understanding and TLC that Nintendo and Mercury Steam have just given Metroid. They need to embrace what made those first few entries in the series and Lara so special. The T & A stuff was always driven by the press and marketing at the time rather than the developers.
Lara "was" cut from the same cloth as Bayonetta ..a character who was in full control of their actions and perception.
Get back to that and fantastic level design and the franchise will be back on track.
There is nothing wrong with video games looking and playing "videogamey" instead of trying to replicate B -Movie knock offs all the time.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I really loved the original Tomb Raider. To me, it felt like a 3D version of the "cinematic platformer" genre like Flashback and Blackthorne. Some really good puzzles and a lot of lonely atmosphere.

The series never quite managed to replicate that, either. By the second game, it had sort of run into the Uncharted problem where Lara was more mass murdering sociopath than the Indiana Jones explorer she was meant as. There have been good games in the series since but it hasn't quite managed to replicate the vibe of the original.

Fredrik

I really loved the original Tomb Raider. To me, it felt like a 3D version of the "cinematic platformer" genre like Flashback and Blackthorne. Some really good puzzles and a lot of lonely atmosphere.

The series never quite managed to replicate that, either. By the second game, it had sort of run into the Uncharted problem where Lara was more mass murdering sociopath than the Indiana Jones explorer she was meant as. There have been good games in the series since but it hasn't quite managed to replicate the vibe of the original.
So true. The original Tomb Raider was never about the shooting, there was some shooting but she auto aimed and the action was mostly about dodging, she mostly killed animals too, and 95% of the game was about exploration.
Today you have to aim and do headshots and all that and it’s barely even 50% exploration.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
So true. The original Tomb Raider was never about the shooting, there was some shooting but she auto aimed and the action was mostly about dodging, she mostly killed animals too, and 95% of the game was about exploration.
Today you have to aim and do headshots all that and it’s barely even 50% exploration.
Also you were shooting animals and monsters, not murdering hundreds of soldiers.

Back then you would get "ripped" copies of a game. Basically they remove cinematics and music so it has space for more than one games. Thats how I experienced TR and it was glorious lol. On one CD I had : C&C, TR and Worms.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Groundbreaking game. An indisputable classic, THE one game that defined PlayStation in the mind of the general public. Yeah, it was Saturn first, but nobody had a Saturn so nobody ever knew, or needed to know. People bought and modded PlayStations just to play a bit of this masterpiece - and fail miserably, because Tomb Raider is a gamer’s game, not something casuals can ever hope to grasp. This is not me being elitist - TR’s second level is already beyond anything a person who doesn’t play games can ever hope to beat. It’s a 90s game through and through, very hard to figure out and master. But it’s also a joy. There was simply nothing like it at the time. I replayed it a few years ago and it still holds up. The atmosphere, the secrets, the incredible level design. It does get way too fucking hard in the final levels, and it was a nightmare on console with limited saves and looooong loading times, but it was worth it. They never recaptured the same feeling again.

tommib

Groundbreaking game. An indisputable classic, THE one game that defined PlayStation in the mind of the general public. Yeah, it was Saturn first, but nobody had a Saturn so nobody ever knew, or needed to know. People bought and modded PlayStations just to play a bit of this masterpiece - and fail miserably, because Tomb Raider is a gamer’s game, not something casuals can ever hope to grasp. This is not me being elitist - TR’s second level is already beyond anything a person who doesn’t play games can ever hope to beat. It’s a 90s game through and through, very hard to figure out and master. But it’s also a joy. There was simply nothing like it at the time. I replayed it a few years ago and it still holds up. The atmosphere, the secrets, the incredible level design. It does get way too fucking hard in the final levels, and it was a nightmare on console with limited saves and looooong loading times, but it was worth it. They never recaptured the same feeling again.
It’s top 5 on my list, for sure. And it’s criminally underrepresented on GOAT lists across the “academy”. It was as groundbreaking as Mario 64 and Quake in my book.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The originals are pretty agonizing to play at this point, but I replayed TR Anniversary about a month ago and that game is still fantastic. Totally worth revisiting or playing for the first time.

The tank style controls are pretty terrible today. Back in the day it was fine. I played the first 2 games a few months ago and totally forgot how the controls were.

Elios83

I still play with Tomb Taider 2, one of my favourite games ever.
They stated that with the next game they want to somehow bring back Lara as the adult character she was in the classic TR games instead of the boring character she was in the reboot trilogy.
I really hope it's true and more infos are released soon. I guess that Eidos Montreal will take the reins of the franchise going forward.

Last edited:

amigastar

You know, i've never understood why they didn't give her about 10 - 20 polygons more and made her breasts round.
149465-st-article450.jpg

Last edited:

Star-Lord

They really need to remake the original trilogy aka GTA Trilogy. And then release Last Revelations as a stand-alone title. People would eat it right up.

God I love those levels. I still go back to this when I’m tired of videogames and think they suck. It resets my passion.

Why can’t we get a simple up-res port of this on current consoles?
Would love to see an up-res port. You know, as long as they don't mess it up.
You know, i've never understood why they didn't give her about 10 - 20 polygons more and made her breasts round.
149465-st-article450.jpg
It's probably based on inspiration

madonna-jean-paul-gaultier-bra-garticle.jpg

nush

Gold Member
Brilliant game, brilliant character.
I do think the franchise lost something though when it's development went overseas. It was very much the jewel in the crown for the UK Dev scene.
I used to work alongside the late Neal Boyd, the head environment artist and level designer before he left the studio I was with to go and work at Core Design and the game that would become Tomb Raider, a great fella with lots of stories to tell about the industry.

The series would be cancelled into the sun these days.

They really need to remake the original trilogy aka GTA Trilogy. And then release Last Revelations as a stand-alone title. People would eat it right up.
It's not cool to say this for some reason but the original series peaked with Tomb Raider The Last Revelation even if Tomb Raider 2 will always be my favorite Tomb Raider game.

The decision to create a new team after Tomb Raider 2 to work on Tomb Raider 3 (basically the same game but harder and stupider) while the Tomb Raider 2 team (and the original creators) worked on Tomb Raider The Last Revelation was the best thing they could've done. It was a much more ambitious game than its predecessor and it shows.

Chronicles was a cashgrab though.

So why did i quote you? Because the true trilogy is Tomb Raider 1, 2 and The Last Revelation. 3 and Chronicles was Eidos demanding yearly entries and were the 2 games that didn't evolve a lot when compared with their previous entries.

tommib

It's not cool to say this for some reason but the original series peaked with Tomb Raider The Last Revelation even if Tomb Raider 2 will always be my favorite Tomb Raider game.

The decision to create a new team after Tomb Raider 2 to work on Tomb Raider 3 (basically the same game but harder and stupider) while the Tomb Raider 2 team (and the original creators) worked on Tomb Raider The Last Revelation was the best thing they could've done. It was a much more ambitious game than its predecessor and it shows.

So why did i quote you? Because the true trilogy is Tomb Raider 1, 2 and The Last Revelation. 3 and Chronicles was Eidos demanding yearly entries and were the 2 games that didn't evolve a lot when compared with their previous entries.
3 was a slog of a game and had these endless city levels where you couldn’t see shit. Still finished it though.

Revelation was adorable and a return to form with great graphics. I remember trying all my new graphic cards with that game.

Star-Lord

Nah, see, I really enjoyed TR3. I remember playing a demo on one of the discs they gave away with OPM, and I just knew I had to get the game - despite, at that point, having not played the first two. So I begged my parents to get me all three, and they did. I was thrilled. I booted them up and played through all three over two weeks. Then, I got my Dreamcast at Christmas, and I got Revelations in a bundle of games from one of the auction channels on Sky — I got 15 DC games for £10, so I was ecstatic.

For me, Revelations is my favourite in the series, followed by 2, 3, and finally 1. I never bothered with Chronicles as, like you said, it seemed like nothing more than a cash cow. But if they were to remake the trilogy, along with Revelations, I’d just throw all my money at them. If they can do it with Uncharted and shitty Nathan ‘Fake Croft’ Drake, why not our beloved Lara?

Top Bottom