• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today, PS Vita is 4 years old

HOSKINGJ

Neo Member
I bought it solely as a portable Persona 4 machine, it delivered more than that, so I was satisfied.

Ha exactly the same here, managed to buy a used one on eBay with a faulty trigger for £22 and P4G for £15. 80 hours of rural Japan/classic Japanese game dev here I come...

Fardeen

the vita was supposed to be the choose one :( the one that would bring balance to a world of mobile games and triple A titles. sadly it turned to the darkside

omg_mjd

The Vita got me back into gaming after not owning a console since the PS1. Also the reason I found GAF, come to think of it. Thanks and happy birthday, old chum.

Tarin02543

I've sold all my ps3 stuff without regrets...but I've secretly been following vita threads.

I'll see what NX is all about. If that's not for me, I might be going for a vita

vato_loco

Even though Sony killed it on arrival, made the memory cards expensive as balls, refused to do any more AAA games for it and forgot all about it during its presentations, the Vita lives on and is a fantastic machine.

Happy birthday you undying little console, you.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I was saw determined to get one around launch, for hobbyist development purposes. And sony so killed my determination with all the wrong moves.

If not for my Vita, I never would have experienced the Danganronpa series so it's pretty much my favorite handheld ever.

I also jumped into a few other series I wouldn't have tried on PS3 like the Atelier and Neptunia games. Speaking of which, even though I was feeling a bit burned out after Re;Birth 2 I just snagged the Noire game off Amazon for just a bit under $13. I wasn't planning on getting any games for a while but no way I'm passing on that price.

J Jizzle

I haven't put as many hours into a handheld since maybe my first Gameboy Color with Pokémon Red.

This has mostly been due to remote play on Bloodborne & Destiny but Persona 4 Golden and the monthly PlayStation plus titles have contributed.

Love the machine and there are no regrets on purchasing it. Even using 4 years on it doesn't feel 'dated' compared to most other consoles I've had after the same lifespan.

Certainly the best handheld out there in terms of hardware and design. Library could be a lot better obviously, but it's not bad.

The library is insanely massive from most angles

I do imagine you are referring to genres and gametypes that the Vita is weak on?

Korezo

I remember when I couldn't wait to get a vita for MH... Then I got one years later but then sold it because I didn't want to pay $89 for a memory card. System was cool though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Please give me a good reason for Persona 5 not being announced for Vita as well ? That's only 1 example.

In Japan, they have been forcing people towards PS4 by all means necessary.

lol what ? Persona 5 is an Atlus game developed for the PS3/PS4. Who knows how big it is and if it could even fit on Vita - they cant just strongarm devs to put their games on Vita when the dev in question has enough trouble finishing the console versions.

Bishop89

The Vita is the main reason I still don't trust Sony. For all the cool shit they've done this year, basically leaving the Vita to die is a real punch to the gut.

sacrificing the vita means ps4 can blossum and become a juggernaut.

Im ok with that as a primarily console gamer.

My launch Vita is still going strong.
What an amazing handheld, I've spent a ton of time with it.

It's gathered dust at points in its life but games like Hotline Miami 1 and 2, Velocity, Gravity Rush etc and remote play have always kept me coming back.

After I'm done with Witcher 3, it's time for P4G to see what all the fuss is about.

ajim

I love my white matte finish Vita

So sleek and no fingerprints!
Where can I buy one of these online?

I've got a regular vita and a pink/black 2000 I bought in Tokyo, but would love that white one!

And happy bday vita. Great little portable.

Persona 4 golden has been the best video game I've played in a long time.

Dayum, its been 4 years already.

Well I've had mine for three years now and it has seen frequent use.
There is just something for me to play on it. I am very happy for the Vita to have been a thing, and will be enjoying its company for more years to come.

Happy birthday my friend :)

Got mine last month with a 64gb card and all the PS Plus vita games I've been saving since Day 1 of the service.

All those games and remote play... Sigh... Feels good, brehs :')

Probably the best built console I have ever bought (Psvita 1000) .
For what it is,I really like it: great fast UI,still a beautiful screen. Shame I haven't played many of the games I bought yet,including Persona4 golden which everyone talks about.

vita2016m0ou4.jpg

To a healthy 2016, Vita!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Well... That's frightening. The passage of time...

The only PS platform I've never bought.

I'll buy one eventually, because the cross-buy indie thing really sold me... But that's afterthought territory. It was certainly never an actual game platform that compelled me with unique games.

"Final Fantasy blah blah dumb spinoff VITA" was all it would take to get me to need one, and it didnt even have that...

Shinriji

My portable JRPG, Hunting, SNK, indie, rhythm, Minecraft, Terraria, PSP, PS1, Visual Novel, PCengine, Crunchyroll and remote play games machine.

Its funny how I was a bit lukewarm with the VITA at first but ended up playing it more than the 3DS: I will admit the exclusive new games on the 3DS appeal more in general but the ergonomics and tech of the VITA (plus account infrastructure) makes it a generation above. I wish Sony could continue the handheld race since the VITA is a great upgrade from the PSP. Could not say the same about the 3DS as I am so tired of shoulder buttons getting ruined and screen scratches. It is without doubt my favourite handheld after the OG gameboy.

Consumer

? Where have you got this from? I've never heard that before in any form.

Anyway, underrated handheld, great piece of kit.

Several years ago I distinctly remember reading in a gaming magazine that the PS Vita released with reduced specs than originally planned, since it would've been too expensive.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble finding a specific source, but it's not like it's hard to believe. MS/Sony always want maximum power in their consoles but for a reasonable selling price, so it's not too shocking that they'd need to scale down their original plans to sufficiently meet consumer demand.

With better specs, more proper games would've been developed for the system. It's not very inspiring that BL2 can't run its signature 4-player MP on the vita. But at the same time, a higher price would've also probably made the vita DOA... In retrospect, the Vita was just a bad idea in general at the time it released.

18-Volt

Such a shame. The hardware is so fucking cool, too bad there was never really a proper market for it.

There was a market but the developers and publishers didn't want to waste their resources on a "toy". Handhelds are "toys" to publishers who want the gaming market to move into full "m-rated" adult phase and will stay that way forever.

Nintendo hardware and Vita are trying to stay alive in this ridiculous environment.

Top Bottom