• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard "can't say" whether Skyrim Switch is the original or enhanced edition

Which industry personality is most deserving of the benefit of the doubt with PR?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm guessing it'll be based on Enhanced Version, modified to run on the Switch with a bunch of Nintendo-themed add-ons (like Bayonetta's costumes) and Switch exclusive features. They won't officially call it the "Enhanced" version which is why he's being cagey with what version it is.

They also had that weird "we can't tell you if it's even real" statement when the Switch was first revealed, so I'm guessing this is just some weird NDA restriction.

coughlanio

I imagine its somewhere in between. It definitely looks closer to the original, but I assume it likely has higher resolution textures, but lacks a lot of the higher end lighting effects.

phanphare

Banned
I imagine its somewhere in between. It definitely looks closer to the original, but I assume it likely has higher resolution textures, but lacks a lot of the higher end lighting effects.

the footage they've shown so far does not look more like the original

jury's out if that footage is indicative of the game that will eventually release for Switch, however

What a bummer. The Bethesda RPG™ stuff has given me some of my favorite gaming memories over the years, but stuff like this and lying about why they don't give game copies to the press makes me want to spend my $60 elsewhere.

Meesh

Wow!!! Seriously...like, Holy. Well ill buy it anyway cuz Skyrim portable just sounds awesome. But it would've been great if it was the enhanced edition.

grim-tales

When people say "Enhanced" do they mean the Special Edition? I thought it was confirmed as being the SE ages ago :s
(I havent played Skyrim before BTW)

Rezbit

That is pretty ridiculous. I'd buy portable Skyrim but it really does need to have all the DLC and be touched up a bit or no bueno.

270923-BS1.jpg

I bought a Vita for that. Obviously that was a risky and irrational purchase, and I certainly don't regret owning a Vita, but that shit burned me hard.

Vitacat

I bought a Vita for that. Obviously that was a risky and irrational purchase, and I certainly don't regret owning a Vita, but that shit burned me hard.
I still love my Vita. I just regret going 99% digital with it. A lot of wasted money, can't resell any games, paid stupid money for a big memory card. Never again. Going 99% physical on Switch.

Nintendo exclusive content???

So...how does that explain why they wouldn't want to be more open with which version the Switch is getting? If it's an enhanced version of the original or a downgraded version of the remaster they could say the Switch is getting it's own version - or however they want to word it.

I don't think they are getting a true, vanilla port of the PS3/360, but considering the silence I wouldn't be too confident in what they are getting.

Mercador

That is pretty ridiculous. I'd buy portable Skyrim but it really does need to have all the DLC and be touched up a bit or no bueno.
I'm expecting that Skyrim Switch Will have all the contents of the SE, but not visually as good as on One nor PS4. Come on, it's an handheld console...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm going to guess it's a special Nintendo edition, that falls somewhere in the middle. Which begs the question of whether it'll have any mod support if it's the black sheep of the group?

Massa

Could be they had a cancelled mobile port of the 360 version in the works and that's what they're bringing to the Switch.

Either way, it's Bethesda, don't be surprised at a stunningly poor looking and performing game.

Doesn't surprise me at all. The PS4/ X1 release has effects and a resolution the Switch obviously can't match. In that respect it's not the same game, and saying it is could be misleading if people buy it and think "Wait, why does this look like the 360 version? This isn't the Enhanced Edition at all!"

On the other hand I'd be surprised if it doesn't come with all the DLC. In that respect it is the same game.

The "I don't know" is probably him not wanting to start a discussion about how makes the Enganced Edition enhanced, the graphical fidelity, the content, or some mix. Simplest thing to do would be to call it Skyrim: Switch Edition or something like that, in which case it is not technically the Enhanced Edition.

Personally I really doubt it'll have anything extra like HD rumble. If there's motion controls it'll be half-assed stuff like Twilight Princess-era waggle to attack. They know how old the game is, they know what it looks like, they know many fans bought the Enhanced Edition already and may not be excited to double or triple dip. I don't see any incentive on their part to put in anything but the minimum effort to port it, it's going to appeal to a very niche audience.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's probably custom. Maybe some better texturing with some improved lighting. Whatever gameplay features they can build in.

My guess would be that it's a port of the enhanced version with possibly less tessellation and polygon detail in general, lower res textures akin to the original 360/PS3 release and probably running at 720p 30fps when undocked and if we're lucky 900p 30fps when docked.

In all honesty I would be fine with that, If I can just have the original 360 Skyrim on a portable console then I'll be happy, anything better than that is just a bonus IMO.

It's probably custom. Maybe some better texturing with some improved lighting. Whatever gameplay features they can build in.

This is what I'm expecting, given the super vague response. Much of what was in the SE plus some custom Switch version tweaks.

I'm expecting that Skyrim Switch Will have all the contents of the SE, but not visually as good as on One nor PS4. Come on, it's an handheld console...

This is pretty much how I feel. I dunno if I'll buy it or not since I burned myself out over 150 hours of it on PC but having a game of that scale on-the-go is enough for a lot of people. Doesn't have to be some graphical showcase.

Top Bottom