• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard "can't say" whether Skyrim Switch is the original or enhanced edition

Which industry personality is most deserving of the benefit of the doubt with PR?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fredrik

Any edition is good to have on the go right?
That's my honest opinion, I already have it on PC if it's the graphics I'm after so that's not really what I'm after here.

And come on now, it has to be 30fps and honestly is that even possible for the Special Edition on Switch if it's just slightly above WiiU in power?

ramparter

Banned
I dont think its an NDA thing. I beieve it will have extra content that will also be released as dlc for tbe other versions and they dont want to announce it yet.

JimPanzer

Well, what I get from it is that it's definitely not the remastered version. If so, why wouldn't he just say so.

So it's either the original version or a remaster 0.5 version.

nomis

Maybe its a "custom" version lol

tumblr_mxvvoz1xnh1qz7kjgo1_500.jpg

Caelus

So Nintendo's biggest third party game this year is a literal port of 2011 game huh

Wow

Why do you put so much effort, lol

I'm thinking it's a slightly downgraded version of the enhanced edition at 900p/30fps, assuming it's still in development, they might be trying to get more performance out of it, then decide what title they wnat to slap on it.

EDarkness

I dont think its an NDA thing. I beieve it will have extra content that will also be released as dlc for tbe other versions and they dont want to announce it yet.

I think that would be interesting. It's Skyrim: Special Edition: Special Edition and everyone can get these new features with the latest update!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe you can "switch" between the 2011 version and the 2016 version. LOL.

The Big N

Banned
Epona makes a cameo appearance with the Dovakin and Epona amiibo. Skyrim the N edition.

Honestly, the whole point of this game is playing Elder Scrolls on a portable console. I don't expect the visuals to be a selling point. Probably will be a custom edition with visuals set to the best performance.

I'm thinking it's a slightly downgraded version of the enhanced edition at 900p/30fps,

I see no reason why they wouldn't just render games at 720p (for the portable mode) and just upscale from there. I would not be surprised if it winds up being something weird like 720p/30fps, but it upscales to 1080p/30fps when docked.

jwillenn

It's the edition that changes the combat in a major way by including a new mode that goes berserk with motion based sword play, spell casting, and pointer style aiming of projectiles...

No, I assert that it cannot do 60fps.

Better textures, lod and basically og stuff on ultra settings yes but 60fps? lmao

They could but it would be ps3 tier quality.

Now tell me which one do bethesda prioritize?

I just implied that if they go for motion controls, well then maybe, just maybe, they'll prioritize performance over eye-candy.

And 720p OG Skyrim runs on a toaster.

EDarkness

It's the edition that changes the combat in a major way by including a new mode that goes berserk with motion based sword play, spell casting, and pointer style aiming of projectiles...

I'd be totally down with that. I hope this is the direction they're going.

patapuf

I have a feeling games PR and secrecy is getting worse.

It's always been silly, but there's been some true headscratchers this past year.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I mean he couldn't say that the game was coming to Switch after the game was in the initial teaser. This doesn't mean anything.

Just that they are keeping information or specs about the Switch version for a later point. Might be part of Nintendos e3 showcase.

There isn't much reason for them to talk about the game months before it's release. Actually that's the case for most Switch titles that aren't launch window games.

I mean he couldn't say that the game was coming to Switch after the game was in the initial teaser. This doesn't mean anything.

Just that they are keeping information or specs about the Switch version for a later point. Might be part of Nintendos e3 showcase.

There isn't much reason for them to talk about the game months before it's release. Actually that's the case for most Switch titles that aren't launch window games.

That's what I've been saying lol. There's no need to talk about it. E3 makes sense to talk to about it.

Yeah. It should be able to run the game with most of the features present at 30fps. From what they've shown it's definitely the Special Edition, but the real question is what else are they doing to it? This is probably why they're not talking about it. The goal will be to get people to triple dip so my guess is that they're working to do something "special" with it. This would mean that it's not really the Special Edition, but something else entirely. I imagine they want to push this being the most unique way to play the game.

Of course, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, but they're comments so far have been extremely positive of Nintendo and the NS. Let's see what they're going to do before we start getting all hot and bothered. Since it's their first game on Nintendo hardware, we don't have any idea for how they're going to approach this.

I guess I'm just worried with Nintendo consoles, and third parties, especially after the Wii U. Mass Effect 3 "Special" Edition...more expensive, and less content than all other versions! "Huh? No one's buying it, well fuck you, we thought you'd like being screwed."

I'm wary that the one thing special about it is just gonna be "well it's portable now" and just ends up being the xbox 360 version or something.

NewGame

Banned
It's neither.

It's a new version with three treasure chests that unlock for $20, one of which as a Switch logo shirt in it.

Classy GOTY material.

EDarkness

I guess I'm just worried with Nintendo consoles, and third parties, especially after the Wii U. Mass Effect 3 "Special" Edition...more expensive, and less content than all other versions! "Huh? No one's buying it, well fuck you, we thought you'd like being screwed."

I'm wary that the one thing special about it is just gonna be "well it's portable now" and just ends up being the xbox 360 version or something.

If this was EA or something, then we should worry (looking at you FIFA), but with Bethesda we have no idea what to expect. On one hand they released the PS3 version in a shitty state, but then they seemed to do right by the PS4 and XOne versions. With as much praise and the amount of time they're taking to work on the game, I think it's probably safe to expect something fairly good. At the very least, we should expect the Special Edition. The fact that they aren't talking doesn't mean anything since they couldn't even confirm the game even after we saw it in the NS announcement trailer. Heh, heh. Best to wait until they show something, then get mad if it's crappy.

Coreda

So it went from a thread about seeing the commercial and appearing like the non-enhanced version (with some sharp disagreements), to a statement by a site (IIRC) that suggested it was some kind of enhanced version (with posts of 'I told you so'), to Howard himself not even confirming either way.

Stay tuned for more!

Of cource it's the special edition. This is crazy. It will probably be called Switch edition which has at least hd rumble with it, maybe motion controls. He just didn't want to reveal those enhanted features yet so he couldn't talk about any enhances.

Seijuro

Since it isn't called Special Edition like the current gen releases of the game we should know what to expect. The old version with a few touch ups here and there.

Of cource it's the special edition. This is crazy. It will probably be called Switch edition which has at least hd rumble with it, maybe motion controls. He just didn't want to reveal those enhanted features yet so he couldn't talk about any enhances.

This is going to be a looooooong gen for you.

Top Bottom