• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard "can't say" whether Skyrim Switch is the original or enhanced edition

Which industry personality is most deserving of the benefit of the doubt with PR?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinjica

Why do you put so much effort, lol

I'm thinking it's a slightly downgraded version of the enhanced edition at 900p/30fps, assuming it's still in development, they might be trying to get more performance out of it, then decide what title they wnat to slap on it.

Then why not saying it?

EDarkness

Then why not saying it?

These are the same guys who couldn't confirm the game was coming to the NS even though we saw the game in the announcement trailer. Heh, heh. That's craziness right there. No idea why they're holding so much to the chest, but here we are. All we can do is wait until they're ready to confirm information regarding the game. Pretty sure it's the Special Edition, though.

Then why not saying it?

I'm guessing that he was asked if it has enhancements and he couldn't answer that without telling their Switch special features which they don't want to spoil yet. If he would have answered with just those normal SE version enhancements people would have thought those would be the only enhancements.

CmdBash

Doubt there's much of a reason getting it even if its the enhanced edition, its nintendo so zero chance of mod support.

ncslamm

It doesn't even have to look that good for me to buy it. If I want to play the definitive version I'll play it on PC. I want to slay dragons on the shitter.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
This seems most likely otherwise I don't understand why they wouldn't be able to talk about it.

Because per their contract with Nintendo, they don't get to announce new information. Only Nintendo decides that. That's my guess, anyway. It has nothing to do with new Switch enhancements or motion control (don't bet on it, IMO), and everything to do with Nintendo's insistence on controlling information.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Switch will always be held back by it's handheld form factor.
And while portable, it's a smidge more powerful than a Wii-U, which is generally in line with Xbox 360 and PS3.

And seeing that Skyrim already struggled to run properly on 360/PS3, i'm guessing Switch is getting a straight port of the 360/PS3 version that (maybe) runs at 900p when docked.
I mean, they would be shouting it from the rooftops if it was the enhanced edition. Nintendo would be, too.

duckroll

And while portable, it's a smidge more powerful than a Wii-U, which is generally in line with Xbox 360 and PS3.

And seeing that Skyrim already struggled to run properly on 360/PS3, i'm guessing Switch is getting a straight port of the 360/PS3 version that (maybe) runs at 900p when docked.
I mean, they would be shouting it from the rooftops if it was the enhanced edition. Nintendo would be, too.

The biggest bottleneck for games with open areas and tons of interactivity is memory. Not CPU or GPU speeds because those can be scaled pretty easily. The Switch has literally 8 times the amount of RAM the PS3 and 360 had. So I don't really buy this being a technical bottleneck at all.

PMurphy1978

Neo Member
Not saying doesn't half give the wrong impression for something that's handicapped by not launching with the system, which IMO was the only feasible way of releasing a game that's five years old.

I'm still excited for it, don't get me wrong, but late 2017 is too late for any sort of success.

ksamedi

This isnt true. Even in handheld mode its way more powerfull because of RAM and a lower resolution screen devs have to work with. The docked specs blow WiiU away so you are painting a wrong picture of the Switches power here.

It will probably be the enchanced edition with some compromises at worst.

EDarkness

Not saying doesn't half give the wrong impression for something that's handicapped by not launching with the system, which IMO was the only feasible way of releasing a game that's five years old.

I'm still excited for it, don't get me wrong, but late 2017 is too late for any sort of success.

It really depends on what they do with the game. If it has more stuff and is more interactive along with the ability to take it with you, I think that may be some incentive for people to jump in again. I think they know that, so perhaps they're giving the game what it needs to be successful, especially releasing so late in the game.

Hanmik

man, maybe Todd took notice of the tweet I sent him..

CAWyu22.jpg

Taker666

The fact that he "can't" answer is not a good sign.

I'd say the fact he "can't" answer could be a great sign...as it may well mean that Nintendo are heavily involved/publishing...meaning more chance of exclusive features/Nintendo IP mods/a non-rushed and less buggy game.

Gurish

I feel like people don't remember what 360/PS3 Skyrim actually looked like. I remember actually seeing it (after I had played over a hundred hours of a lightly modded PC version) and was actually stunned by how bad it looked.

RqSEvsg.jpg

56cqeDB.jpg

O0Q3G7l.jpg

UChrOYc.jpg

LPJf7xr.jpg

8sNycXu.jpg

wXUNLhc.jpg

yUc9urX.jpg

Uct0AAO.jpg

Damn that's ugly as sin, people often don't realize how bad games used to look just last gen, when you look at that you realize how massive of a jump Horizon is.

Mithos

Whatever version, old, new, custom... Unless Bethesda and Nintendo allows...
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch

Well then the game is too broken to be interesting.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
If he can't say then it's because it would be negative which means it doesn't have all the features of the SE or maybe even none.

Wil348

My guess is it will be somewhere between both versions, maybe closer to original in undocked and closer to SE in docked. Would make a lot of sense and I suppose it could tie in with "I can't say". Maybe I'm just being hopeful but the bit of footage they showed definitely looked better than the original.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This isnt true. Even in handheld mode its way more powerfull because of RAM and a lower resolution screen devs have to work with. The docked specs blow WiiU away so you are painting a wrong picture of the Switches power here.

It will probably be the enchanced edition with some compromises at worst.

So Zelda BotW will have a higher frame rate in handheld mode since it's rendering at a lesser resolution?

Harlock

Skyrim going to be the perfect benchmark on how the Switch stands in comparison with ps3/360 and ps4/xb1. The topic will have at least 60 pages.

Hermii

The biggest bottleneck of last gen was ram, and Switch has significantly more of it. Combined with a much better architecture and maybe the best developer environment of any console it should be possible to implement at least some of the improvements from the enhanced edition.

Dremorak

Banned
Considering Pete Hines outright lied about the existence of werewolves in skyrim about a month before release just to save the surprise... I wouldn't be surprised if they we're waiting for a nintendo direct or something.

Who am I kidding, they don't give a shit, will probably port ps3 version and call it a day

iMerc

I'm telling you, it'll be the Special Nintendo Edition with all sorts of Nintendo themed mods and HD rumble support, possibly optional motion controls.

Book it.

nail on the head, i reckon. this is probably the most likely scenario.

they will likely take the ps360 'legendary edition' as a base and try to apply as much lighting & graphical upgrades as they can from the ps4/x1 version, that the switch can handle.

what you will end up having is a game that is superior to the ps360 versions, but visibly inferior to the ps4/x1 version.

the fun question is though, when this comes out, which one do we compare it to? the legendary editions on ps360? or the SE on ps4/x1?

Skyrim going to be the perfect benchmark on how the Switch stands in comparison with ps3/360 and ps4/xb1. The topic will have at least 60 pages.

only if it's a good port, which, depending on how much importance nintendo/bethesda place on this game, could poss be likely.
if it's a terrible port & not optimised for the switch, then it doesn't matter if it's skyrim or fucking Super Mario Bros.3 from the NES, it won't run smoothly.
now anyone with half a brain understands this doesn't mean the switch isn't powerful enough to run SMB3.

you have two camps of people: people who want this game to turn out terrible because they see the switch as an affront to their video game senses, and those who will rose tint anything.
both sides, on a logical basis, know that the switch is objectively more than capable of running this well (the ps360 version, anyway. not the SE); their 'vocality' will depend greatly on their bias/agenda as per usually console war stupidity.

Zedark

Who am I kidding, they don't give a shit, will probably port ps3 version and call it a day
I mean, why even bring it over in the first place if they are going to half-ass it? It's not like they bothered with porting to WiiU at around launch, for which a direct port of the currently available version (i.e. Skyrim 2011) would be more feasible.
this is probably the most likely scenario.

to slightly expand on this further, they will likely take the ps360 'legendary edition' as a base and try to apply as much lighting & graphical upgrades as they can from the ps4/x1 version, that the switch can handle.

what you will end up having is a game that is superior to the ps360 versions, but inferior to the ps4/x1 version.

the fun question is though, when this comes out, which one do we compare it to? the legendary editions on ps360? or the SE on ps4/x1?
Yeah, no one should expect Skyrim to be as good as the PS4/XB1 remastered versions, though (a bit) better than last gen versions should be doable. The additional hardware features that Howard seemed excited about are the more interesting addition for this version imo.

Xiao Hu

Thank god TES games have never been about graphic fidelity or such. Honestly I could live with TES VI looking like Skyrim as long as the streamlining of the TES formula has been reversed and a proper RPG system been reestablished ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯

Top Bottom