• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard "can't say" whether Skyrim Switch is the original or enhanced edition

Which industry personality is most deserving of the benefit of the doubt with PR?

Results are only viewable after voting.

iMerc

I mean, why even bring it over in the first place if they are going to half-ass it? It's not like they bothered with porting to WiiU at around launch, for which a direct port of the currently available version (i.e. Skyrim 2011) would be much more feasible.

fair point, but remember not to underestimate the apathy western developers have towards nintendo systems, in general.
this is not to accuse OR put the blame on their shoulders alone, of course; nintendo hold a big part of this blame too. no doubt.

Chao

They're probably experimenting with the system and haven't decided on the graphics fidelity or controls yet, so saying one or the other would be lying

jts

...hate me...
As when he couldn't say that skyrim switch was a real game after the October reveal?
Exactly. People will just jump to the worst conclusion and run with it because hur hur Nintendo and also, reasons.

When they are proved wrong the subject won't even be touched again. And hey, sometimes they will be right!

iMerc

He 'can't say'? What? This is absurd.

maybe. maybe not. it's more than likely NDAs.
those are same the same group of people who denied the switch version existed, even after nintendo previewed it in the switch reveal.

come on guys. i know we have better common sense than this.

Cartho

Maybe its a "custom" version lol

Patch notes, Skyrim Switch version
- Even more jank has been added
- Various animations have been removed to make the game perform better
- Framerate runs at an unlocked 10 - 24 FPS
- An issue was discovered where certain quests were not bugged. This has now been fixed. Look forward to exploring a whole new world of annoying glitches!
- Several voice actors were cut to reduce the size of the game file. There is now one VA doing every single voice in the game.

Fredrik

It's not.
But Switch is closer to 360/PS3/WiiU than XB1/PS4, right? Maybe they'll add some of the features from the Special Edition though, and half the framerate from PS4/XB1. It'll still be an awesome version though just because of the portability.

I wasn't a sure lock-in to buy the game, but this shit is stupid. This is the kind of verbiage that knocks potential buyers right off the fence.

AzaK

Of cource it's the special edition. This is crazy. It will probably be called Switch edition which has at least hd rumble with it, maybe motion controls. He just didn't want to reveal those enhanted features yet so he couldn't talk about any enhances.

Who the hell is really going to buy it though, given it's on every other platform and will have been for sometime? There will be a few people who want it on the go but I guarantee those will be a minority.

Nintendo probably gagged them from saying it's the old gimpy version. Then Reggie will spin at E3 saying "It's not the same game, it's not the same content!".

massucci

Banned
So far as the future goes, Howard says he just wants to carry on doing what he does. "There's a long way to go. We have so many ideas that we didn't think we were ready for. But given our size now and how the tech is coming together, we can do some of the things that we've talked about for a very long time. Now they are within our grasp."
The hell he is talking about here? I don't remind any leaks from them, except the same IP well known.

Shiggy

It's obviously the NDA that keeps all third parties from announcing or talking about their Switch games. Of course he cannot say anything.

Taggen86

Probably the original version, at least in portable mode. Interestingly the switch appears be weaker than both the ps3 and the xbox 360 in portable mode if we believe the specs in the DF article ((256 * 2) * .3072 = 157.2864 gflops) compared to 192 gflops (ps3) and 240 gflops (xbox 360). The console is around twice as powerful as those consoles in dock mode (switch dock=393 gflops) so they could probably increase the resolution or the graphic effects in doc mode.

Sources: last gen specs: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/gflops-last-gen-and-current-gen.55710/
switch specs: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis

Isurus

I would expect it's neither, but will be interesting to see. My high-level expectations are as follows:

-Graphically: more similar to the X360 and PS3 versions than the most recent special edition, mainly due to the horsepower of the Switch not being up to X1 and PS4 standards.

-DLC: this could be interesting. The special editions that recently launched on X1 and PS4 include all of the Skyrim expansions. Will be very interesting to see how they handle this with the Switch. Maybe they are still trying to figure it out and that is why he can't comment. I'd expect it would be included, but maybe there are other limitations getting in the way, like space constraints.

Ganondolf

I expect it is the remastered edition with effects removed. It will be easier to lower effects/assets from the remastered edition till it works than to go from the original and add stuff.

Docked: 900@30fps
Mobile: 720@30fps

Lowered textures
Removal of lighting effects
Will need to fit into 32GB game card

PSFan

It's obviously the NDA that keeps all third parties from announcing or talking about their Switch games. Of course he cannot say anything.

Oh bull. This is a 6 year old game, not a new one. Why would a NDA prevent anyone from saying what edition it is? Especially when they've shown supposed footage from the game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Which industry personality is most deserving of the benefit of the doubt with PR?
Well, obviously....
Lucifer Morningstar, the Wicked One, the Serpent of Old, the Acuser of Bretheren and Prince of Lies (^___^)

switch is just going to get a bunch of last gen ports as "third party support" isn't it? :/
Third party support on Switch? Never heard of it.

those are same the same group of people who denied the switch version existed, even after nintendo previewed it in the switch reveal.

All evidence points to that not being the case.

Those of you touting this as proof that it's one version or the other, ask yourselves what his answer would be if they'd asked him if there'd be any bonus modes? How about if they'd asked what use it would make of HD rumble? How about if it includes all the DLC? The answer to all of those would be exactly the same - it's not time to talk about that yet.

keraj37

Actually who cares. I have this remastered version and it looks to me the same as original. When I switched from on version to other I couldn't say which one looks better - they look same.

If it's anything other than a pared back Enhanced Edition with mod support and optional motion controls/HD Rumble, it's a half assed port.

Throw the Switch a bone, Todd and co.

m6GcCQ4h.jpg

Leaked screenshot of what it looks like in tablet mode

Why would there be NDAs on explaining which version of a game is being ported over. The cats out of the bag, the console is out in 2 weeks, games are being announced and confirmed on a pretty regular basis, yet I'm supposed to believe that Nintendo has Bethesda on a very specific NDA that won't let them tell us which version of Skyrim this is based on? It's not like Capcom isn't able to tell us what Ultra SF2 is.

If he can't say then its not the Enhanced Edition. If it was the Enhanced Edition then of course you would say - so if you can't say then its not. QED or somesuch.

Slayven

Why would there be NDAs on explaining which version of a game is being ported over. The cats out of the bag, the console is out in 2 weeks, games are being announced and confirmed on a pretty regular basis, yet I'm supposed to believe that Nintendo has Bethesda on a very specific NDA that won't let them tell us which version of Skyrim this is based on? It's not like Capcom isn't able to tell us what Ultra SF2 is.

After finding out what first person mode for the game was, I thinking that might not have been a bad idea

Hermii

Probably the original version, at least in portable mode. Interestingly the switch appears be weaker than both the ps3 and the xbox 360 in portable mode if we believe the specs in the DF article ((256 * 2) * .3072 = 157.2864 gflops) compared to 192 gflops (ps3) and 240 gflops (xbox 360). The console is around twice as powerful as those consoles in dock mode (switch dock=393 gflops) so they could probably increase the resolution or the graphic effects in doc mode.

Sources: last gen specs: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/gflops-last-gen-and-current-gen.55710/
switch specs: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis
Yea because flops is everything, memory and architecture doesn't matter. Why did Sony waste money on 8gb gddr5 when they could have had way more flops without it?

Top Bottom