• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Game Show 2009

Subliminal42 said:
"CAPCOM! Woo! Yeah!"

But i disagree the Japanese game industry isn't over.

FFXIII
FF Versus XIII
Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce
MGS: Rising

Down. But not out.

Missing The Last Guardian. The Japanese game industry is still the best to me.

Dascu

CiSTM said:
Haven't been following TGS at all this year so I have to ask: Any new info about Parasite Eve 3 ?
There was a new trailer with some really short gameplay clips posted somewhere in this thread. I haven't watched it myself, but they've apparently turned it into a 3rd person shooter. Yikes.

CiSTM

Banned
Dascu said:
There was a new trailer with some really short gameplay clips posted somewhere in this thread. I haven't watched it myself, but they've apparently turned it into a 3rd person shooter. Yikes.

:mad:

Still I have hope for it. I'm going to search the link now.

edit: Ugh, it tries to take the RE4 route... At least it seems so (from the very short clip). :(

Subliminal42 said:
"CAPCOM! Woo! Yeah!"

FFXIII
FF Versus XIII

Down. But not out.

Japan still makes some of the best games ever. The second that industry dies, my love for the medium dies with it. I bought maybe 6 games in the last 5 years that were made in the west.

kinosama

Neo Member
All most japanese companies do nowadays is try and cater to western audiences. The big japanese publishers aren't going anywhere, but the games they'll be putting out will majoritarily be made in the US/Europe. Just look at Capcom or Sega's publishing track record this generation.

The trend started last gen, but I'd say the definite success of the 360 was a strong catalyst.

Xelinis

DMPrince said:
Just read that wild arms 6 was announced during a private showing?

Even if that's true, I'm not sure I'd want that. The direction that the series has taken post-WA3 is less than stellar and we know for a fact that the main series designer is no longer with that company.

Astery

Subliminal42 said:
"CAPCOM! Woo! Yeah!"

FFXIII
FF Versus XIII

Down. But not out.

and they take a decade or so in development.

DW? lulz.

Beezy said:
Like? They haven't done much on the PS3/360. Capcom has put out the best effort so far.

Who said anything about PS3/360? The DS has some of the best games period. The reason I think the consoles suck this generation is because all the Japanese talent has been going to handhelds and non-FPS fans are completely unsatisfied with the HD twins. There's also some good efforts from Japanese devs on the Wii (mainly Marvelous) but the DS is where it's at.

7Th said:
DS/PSP is where true gaming is at, bro.

Exactly!

CiSTM

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:

Google it down. Thats the way I found it. There isn't much to see, it's about 20secs long or less and very little of gameplay. It shows that it has over the shoulder view like RE4/5 and seems bit more actiony then orginal games... Still it is very short clip so can't really say what kind of game it is eventually going to be.

edit: nevermind. It was some fake vid constructed along the lines of 1up description.

Darkman M

cosmicblizzard said:
Who said anything about PS3/360? The DS has some of the best games period. The reason I think the consoles suck this generation is because all the Japanese talent has been going to handhelds and non-FPS fans are completely unsatisfied with the HD twins. There's also some good efforts from Japanese devs on the Wii (mainly Marvelous) but the DS is where it's at.

Exactly!

Blasphemy or maybe im just not a true gamer? I have no interest in handhelds and im satified with the HD twins i can't play Bayonetta & Uncharted 2 on handhelds laters this fall or next year.

Leckan

BigBoss said:
Lost Planet and RE5, Capcom is the only JPN publisher that knows what the hell they're doing.

From Wikipedia:

"Keiji Inafune is the head of Research & Development and Online Business at Capcom, best known for being the character designer of Mega Man and producer of Onimusha and Dead Rising video game series."

The guy doesn't even make games and he didn't even produce any RE game nor LP: Jun Takeuchi did. He was only a executive producer of these games. It's pretty ironic to hear a guy who's main fame still comes mainly from designing Mega Man characters back in the 80's claim that the Japanese gaming industry is dead. I do agree that it's ailing and something needs to be done but still, it's a bit over the top to claim that I think.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
_dementia said:
more like Tokyo Lame Show amirite

The Hori booth is enough to make the show for me. So amazing.

Anyone tried out those 360 pads? I'm quite liking the design of them. If the Dpad is nice, I may pick up one as a 3rd controller. Since it looks like they include all the buttons too ^_^

Darkman M said:
Blasphemy or maybe im just not a true gamer? I have no interest in handhelds and im satified with the HD twins i can't play Bayonetta & Uncharted 2 on handhelds laters this fall or next year.

Okay, let me extend that non-FPS generalization to non-shooter fans. TPS is also a big part of this generation with Uncharted and Gears of War and stuff.

I'm not saying there's nothing to look forward to for people who aren't fans of those and I obviously don't speak for everyone, but I personally am not satisfied. Yeah, I'm totally hyped for Bayonetta and Final Fantasy and all that jazz, but there are several genres not represented well at all on 360/PS3.

Dascu

Y2Kev said:
a106f5.jpg
all hail scoopz
mmvu4j.gif

Darkman M

cosmicblizzard said:
Okay, let me extend that non-FPS generalization to non-shooter fans. TPS is also a big part of this generation with Uncharted and Gears of War and stuff.

I'm not saying there's nothing to look forward to for people who aren't fans of those and I obviously don't speak for everyone, but I personally am not satisfied. Yeah, I'm totally hyped for Bayonetta and Final Fantasy and all that jazz, but there are several genres not represented well at all on 360/PS3.

What about fighters? SFIV,Blazblue, Tekken 6 this year has been the year of the fighter more so then shooter, only fps im interested in is MW2.

Emotions

I doubt they will do a Wild Arms on PS3 . If there's any it will probably be on PSP.
With WA 5's engine or just following the SRPG one route.

Aexact

travisbickle said:
Wild Arms exclusive to 360? in Japan?

Also

gamescoopz said:
slim ps3 sales down 50000% in everywhere
7:13 PM Sep 21st from web

gamescoopz said:
MS in negotiations to make GTA5 an exclusive...a member on GAF is party to the negotiations. But who is it?
5:26 PM Sep 1st from web

gamescoopz said:
shout out to keikoku on gaf, a warrior who fell at the hands of the evil gaf moderation team. the industry salutes you. <3 MS community team
6:23 PM Sep 23rd from web

You gotta click further then the initial page, you know?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I don't think Japanese development is dead or any of that, but it definitely seemed to be a pretty lackluster show this year.

Top Bottom