• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So GAF, is the Complete Animal DLC Pack worth the $6.99? Gonna be picking this up on sale tomorrow and am curious if the extra animals are worth it lol.

Looks like the DLC pack includes some powerful animals.

The plus side is that unlocking powerful animals takes a lot of time, and you might get tired before you get to the really good ones. This way you can play them right away.

On the downside, it could kill your sense of progression and motivation to unlock stuff.

Some of the unlockable content is just palette swaps but some of it would be better purchased if you still want more content after everything in the vanilla game.

creid

Just started this the other day and I'm mostly loving it. A game hasn't made me laugh this much in a long time.

Searched around on the internet for a while to find out what the Japanese trophy list was like (I assumed since it was a retail release it had more trophies,) but only found my answer on the 2nd page of this thread. Thanks for delivering, GAF.

Enjoyable game, but can get outright annoying. Went to Shibuya Shop District by the time I got to Gen 3 and 4. Started making my way back north because food supply went to shit. I was running on water and killing fucking ostriches as a Pomeranian because there was jack shit to eat in the next 3 areas. By the time I got to Dogenska (whatever it's called) I had to mate 2 times with a flea bearing whore dog and the place was littered with bears and tigers.

Fuuuck thaaat.

just bought this game as it was on sale.

is it me, or does it tend to just fuck you over REAL bad sometimes? i feel like i'm doing real well and within 10 minutes there's nothing to eat that isn't toxic, nowhere i can go that isn't polluted (that's within reach before death) and nothing i can do except starve to death or get eaten by something because i was panicking.

i see these high scores with animals iike small dogs or the rabbit or even the damn sika deer. the game is a bit too random for my tastes, but i'm really digging it. just a few design decisions that i think work against the game's overall experience.

i keep trying to get every goal, but since they're randomly selected, sometimes you just get bum deals on some of them. i think i'm starting to see how it's best to play for longevity (ignore the goals and just focus on pure survival/mating with primes, etc) but i want to unlock all the pretty clothes!

flyover

For me, focusing on longevity as I learned the game was the way to go. That and doing just enough challenges quickly enough to earn new animals.

Eventually, surviving becomes second-nature. That's when you can become a total challenge whore in playthroughs.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
For me, focusing on longevity as I learned the game was the way to go. That and doing just enough challenges quickly enough to earn new animals.

Eventually, surviving becomes second-nature. That's when you can become a total challenge whore in playthroughs.

I dunno about that, even if you get the challenges done, you're basically waiting 9-10 years/minutes for the limit to end. I really wish they'd just allow you to focus on the challenges with no time limit other than 100 years being the failure or something. As soon as E/D/C/B/A challenges are done/hit the "age limit", you have to wait a minute for the next challenges to unlock. WHY?

And the previous poster is right: You get screwed with challenges at times. "Mark 6 times" Okay, I can do that right no--NOPE, you gotta wait until you're 30 instead of 25 and wait until you're 31 for it to unlock. TROLLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

(As for suriving toxic, go into the sewers, but then you have to wait for it to stop raining which seems to take FOREVER for it to do.

Night/Day cycle/mating/crossing into new zones is what changes meal levels, BTW)

Got the two hardest trophies the other day (survive 100 year and complete all challenges). Just got the story to do now.

This is the first game I will 100% since Halo 3.

Tomodachi

I'm ashamed to admit that I dropped this game, I just wanted to at least complete all the story chapters but it takes too much patience and with the large amount of games I have yet to start I felt it wasn't worth it (although the archives really make me curious of finding out what the story is all about).
I might come back to it at a later time, but I just wished they unlocked all the story chapters since the beginning, without having to find the archives (which in turn could have been unlocked by clearing the chapters).
The survival mode is nice but it takes to much patience to start it all over again every time... these open ended approaches are not for me.
I still think this was a great purchase though.

just bought this game with the credit + others.

holy shit. that was amazing. tried to take down a bear and he killed me :(

(pomeranina) - I think I'll be spending a lot of time with this. its quite fun

This could have been the package design of Tokyo Jungle (the right one is the final design done by @KATAOKA_Yohei)

bgz9g-xcaaalhwbdbcgh.jpg

http://twitter.com/yosp/status/317078382653341696/photo/1

TheSeks

The one requested by sales looks better. Shows what the actual game is like instead of the other one which is more a horror one.

Tomodachi

The one requested by sales looks better. Shows what the actual game is like instead of the other one which is more a horror one.
While I agree on the bolded part (I actually thought it was an horror game the first time I saw that artwork) I think the one they went with looks much better. Less messy and the deserted Tokyo looks haunting.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just completely blew away my old record. Managed to last 126 years with a Hyena, of all things. Ended up starving to death in the underground area of Yoyogi Park, heh.

Daigoro

i just finally finished story mode today. got the last 3 archives in the sewer area finally and did the last story chapter. took my time with this game and played it in large chunks spread out over months. dont usually do that, but the survival mode is good to just pick up and play as you feel like it.

i loved the two endings. great way to cap off the story mode. didnt expect that, pretty wacky stuff.

survived my longest at 64 years. got caught by a tiger when i was above ground looking to breed. 100 years seems doable, but hard. im going to keep working at it.

great game.

The one requested by sales looks better.

nope.

cj_iwakura

I agree, I like the low-key simplicity of the final cover. It tells you everything you need to know about the game. One Pomeranian against the world.

TheSeks

Nope, the final design looks terrible. Sells the game as something it isn't.

Both designs are winners in my eyes. Couldn't go wrong with either. I do think the final one is a bit too subtle and minimalist, though, while the sales one is actually a perfect reflection of the game as a whole and backs up the name of the game.

The second demonstrates the despair of when there's no food in the entire southern half of the map for about fifty years straight.

lol, were I in charge of advertising a game I'd select the image that demonstrates the game at it's best, not at its worst. That's subjective, of course. I know a lot of people play specifically to reach the end game and starvation.

flyover

lol, were I in charge of advertising a game I'd select the image that demonstrates the game at it's best, not at its worst. That's subjective, of course.

Yeah. I can see that. I can totally see arguments for either, actually. The first promotes the action of the game. The second could be viewed as making the assumption that the person looking at it already knows something about the theme of the game. Personally, I find the second more striking -- and better-looking.

If they really wanted an honest cover for how most of the game feels to me, it would show a porcupine running through Yamanote, being chased by about 20 Lions and three crocs. Or a beagle's failed one-shot kill on a hippo. Or a stupid cat that insists on fighting me when I'm a bear.

cj_iwakura

Well, strictly from a sales perspective, it must have worked, since it topped Media Create when it came out.

Also, the isolated Pomeranian probably drew more attention than a horde of animals.

cj_iwakura

This is an extremely trivial quirk, but uh... I can't find any footwear gear. Any idea how to track some down?

Also, this Hyena is The One. I can feel it. Took out a herd of Cheetahs and Lions, sticking and moving like a Boss.

I do. The camera's a bit weird and fights can get kind of confusing, but it's a lot of fun. But a word of caution: it's a LOT easier if you both play as the same animal. It only does the challenges for P1, so if P2 isn't the same species, none of their actions (kills, etc.) count.

i just started playing this yesterday with my gf, and when we were the same species we had trouble dying of hunger. our solution was to always have one carnivore and one herbivore so we aren't stepping on each other's toes trying to find enough to eat. we suck though. is it really better to combo up on the same species?

duckroll

This game is fucking amazing. The story mode stuff you unlock is hilarious too. So far my best run is a decent one with the Silk Deer where I managed to last 30 years across 3 generations and ended up with a 65k score or something. What ultimately did me in was a mix of poison, lack of food, and being chased all over the map first by a tiger, then by a pack of hyenas or something, until I was eventually cornered and totally destroyed. All because I was trying to find Bujin before the challenge expired as the 30th year was approaching. Lol! Crazy stuff.

The game really reminds me of the crazy and wacky JP PS1 games of a previous era. Soooooo good. <3

Celegus

This game is fucking amazing. The story mode stuff you unlock is hilarious too. So far my best run is a decent one with the Silk Deer where I managed to last 30 years across 3 generations and ended up with a 65k score or something. What ultimately did me in was a mix of poison, lack of food, and being chased all over the map first by a tiger, then by a pack of hyenas or something, until I was eventually cornered and totally destroyed. All because I was trying to find Bujin before the challenge expired as the 30th year was approaching. Lol! Crazy stuff.

The game really reminds me of the crazy and wacky JP PS1 games of a previous era. Soooooo good. <3

This post is exactly why Tokyo Jungle is so amazing. The concept is so ridiculous but lends itself perfectly to all these gameplay systems that compliment eachother so well. It can be a very intense, but it's always fun and there's always a great story.

I just recently managed to get an "all challenges" run with the Zebra (the Tuxedo you get is insane), which lasted about 76 years. The last 15-20 years were me running away from packs of tigers, lions, bears and
dinosaurs
the entire time, while every area was poisoned. I still had to change 2 generations and eat about 4000 Kcal. I don't know how I did it but it was so much fun.

The last two missions of the story mode are absolutely incredible. Some before that are cool as well but a little tedious sometimes. The last two blow everything away though.

Hopefully everyone's cool with me bumping this thread, but the game is $0.99 right now on the PSN Store. I'd always been interested in the game but didn't want tob pay the full price and never noticed when the game went on sale, so this was an instant buy for me. And judging by the amount of people who were telling everyone to get this, more people might start popping up in here. I'm loving the game so far, I just finished the tutorial and MAN there's so many things to do in this game, hunting, hiding, eating, mating, etc. I can see myself dumping manyyyy hours into this.

RPGCrazied

How do you save? I got this game from the .99 cent deal. Its so weird, but in a good way, but I don't know how to save. I have to keep starting over.

TheSeks

How do you save? I got this game from the .99 cent deal. Its so weird, but in a good way, but I don't know how to save. I have to keep starting over.

You don't. Survive as long as you can. ARF ARF ARF.

(Okay, you can save and quit at dens. But you have to mate first to do that, IIRC. No save scumming though.)

So I saw the PSN Flash Sale and saw a few things I wanted and Tokyo Jungle was not one of them. Go to GAF and see one guy recommending it, I think he's joking. See ten more guys recommend it, ok so figured it's just a dollar might as well see what everyone is raging about.

THANK YOU GAF!

Great game, absolutely love it. It's not at all what I thought it was. I remember seeing it on gaming websites and only lightly browsing screenshots and text and it came off as some sort of cheap 2D fighter with animals, not this 3D (albeit with select passage ways) survival game. Anyways, as much as I love this so far I'd like to share a few complaints:
  • Why are some regions completely deserted at times? I get that the region you just mated at is deserted because you need to move on and find new stuff, but sometimes I'll travel to a new region and there's just nothing there.
  • It feels like the game is pushing you along too fast because of how quickly your hunger goes down, especially in co-op. Gives you little room to actually take it slow and stealthy. Would be nice if they had different options for how quickly the years go by and thus how quickly your hunger drains.
  • I like how the other animals of your litter are essentially your lives, but damn it'd be nice if they actually helped you attack bigger animals when you come across them opposed to doing nothing. Most the time all they do is sit there and get killed while I'm the only one attacking.
  • The method of unlocking animals is too damn tedious. I get that they want you to try out all the animals, but you have to go through so many of nearly the same creature and once you unlock the next one you simply die intentionally to move on faster, I've never actually progressed too far so far because I'm focused entirely on unlocking new creatures. Would be nicer if say you can unlock any creature using any creature but it would be extremely difficult to unlock say a lion with a pomeranian for example.
  • Why can't I have one save per creature instead of just one save?

Just a few things after one day of playing. Though don't get me wrong, overall I absolutely love this game and really hope Sony decides to do another and have co-op online as well as larger environments and other various additions.

Garcia

Hey GAF, thanks a lot for the recommendation during the Flash shale. We just started playing Tokyo Jungle and it is really addictive!

Multiplayer is superb. Full of stress, action and strategy; speaking of which: Is there any way to revive your partner once the 4 revival pills are gone?

Top Bottom