• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

HTuran

Just started playing this, fantastic so far!

Main complaint is the repetition involved in unlocking new animals, and how they always appear in the same place (Shibuya Jungle).

Managed to find a shortcut playing as a Chick, ended up being chased around some caves by 3 bears for 20 minutes.

I just got to 128 years old!

Kinda gutted though as I was assuming that if you hit 130 then
the Business Man might appear.

Pure speculation, but as the Dinosaurs come at 70 years and Cave Men at 100 years then I was guessing another 30 might bring the final characters in.

In the end it was the 100% toxicity that got me.
If portable beds reset it as nests do then I could've went for longer.

Sera O

Banned
I finally tried the local co-op stuff with a friend over the weekend. We made it to 72 years with the retriever which was a new record for us and proved once again what we've always known - we're bad at surviving.

A question - there were a couple of areas we saw an (x) prompt come up. We were being chased so we didn't stop to check it out. What does it mean, though? I think it's the first time I've come across that in this game.

Unfortunatly gave the controller to my bro halfway through, we're on the last chapter now. It was a long adventure, but we're almost there.

Celegus

I finally tried the local co-op stuff with a friend over the weekend. We made it to 72 years with the retriever which was a new record for us and proved once again what we've always known - we're bad at surviving.

A question - there were a couple of areas we saw an (x) prompt come up. We were being chased so we didn't stop to check it out. What does it mean, though? I think it's the first time I've come across that in this game.

Kind of old, but I believe that prompt you're talking about is actually just a notification saying that your animal is too big to fit through an area. The larger ones can't fit through train cars and such.

Sera O

Banned
Kind of old, but I believe that prompt you're talking about is actually just a notification saying that your animal is too big to fit through an area. The larger ones can't fit through train cars and such.

Haha thanks! I was so sure it was a button prompt or something and not just 'don't go here, you're too tall.'

Finally got a new PS3 to play this game. It's really awesome, the wife is addicted too, it could be a little more forgiving when it comes to the challenges but it's ok.

Only one questions, every time I breed, I only get better stats right? So by my 99th pomerian generation, those should be a beast?

Finally got a new PS3 to play this game. It's really awesome, the wife is addicted too, it could be a little more forgiving when it comes to the challenges but it's ok.

Only one questions, every time I breed, I only get better stats right? So by my 99th pomerian generation, those should be a beast?
Do quests to get stat points. Breed to store a portion of those points forever. I forget the ratio, but I think it's 25% for desperate, 33% for good, and 50% for best.

Example, you complete quests and have a +10 to HP. When you mate, you will forever keep a 2.5, 3.3, or 5 bonus hp. Then you immediately mate again. You didn't do any new quests so you get +0 added permanently. Do more quests, and get +5 atk. Mate to store 1,2, or 3 atk.

Daigoro

is it just me, or do you have to accept the online agreement every time you start the game?

every time i fired it up i had to scroll to the bottom of the wall of text to accept before i could play. new ps3 owner here, so i dont know if this is normal or not. (the system was defective though and im waiting on a replacement).

Celegus

is it just me, or do you have to accept the online agreement every time you start the game?

every time i fired it up i had to scroll to the bottom of the wall of text to accept before i could play. new ps3 owner here, so i dont know if this is normal or not. (the system was defective though and im waiting on a replacement).

Nah that's everyone. Just hit d-pad to the right to skip to the bottom fast.

Just showed a friend, who adores the game, this shirt.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/drewwise/works/9389766-welcome-to-the-jungle

fig,lemon,mens,ffffff.jpg

Bought this in the sale and played through the tutorial. I guess it's pretty simple, but I found the stack of lessons one after the other overwhelming, so when I actually started the game proper I was just mashing buttons and died almost instantly.

Will give it another go tonight, I like the idea - it does look very simple/repetitive though. The tutorial was just very poorly put together - here's how to do this, then this, then this, then this, then this, then this, then this, then this, ok that's everything, now go!.... Errr what was the first thing again?! Oh well, I'm dead!

Hauk

Neo Member
This sounds so good, but I've read a lot of reviews/impressions that say it gets repetitive quite fast so I'm afraid it would just be left sitting on my HD after a short try. Plus so many games on holidays, and then school stuff :/

Tomodachi

Please tell me I can buy the soundtrack somewhere. The game is fine I guess, I played it for two hours straight on my first session, I never do that. But the soundtrack is really out of this world.

flyover

This sounds so good, but I've read a lot of reviews/impressions that say it gets repetitive...

It is repetitive, but most most games are, in some fashion or another. I'm just now weaning myself off playing it, after it's been my main game for over a month and a half.

The weird thing for me about Tokyo Jungle is that I'm usually more a of a marathon gamer when it comes to consoles: preferring to play something for hours and hours at a time on weekends and days off.

But with Tokyo Jungle, I find myself playing it more in whatever spare time I have available. I love playing it for an hour or two on a weeknight, and then I'm done for the day. It's actually filled the niche I usually had for mobile gaming, but on a big(ger) screen.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
How the fuckdo you turn the soundtrack off? Worst bgm ever considering the setting...

You can't, which sucks. Sometimes I can tune it out but man, it is annoyingly repetitive and totally out of place. This would be the perfect game for custom soundtracks and podcasts.

This sounds so good, but I've read a lot of reviews/impressions that say it gets repetitive quite fast so I'm afraid it would just be left sitting on my HD after a short try. Plus so many games on holidays, and then school stuff :/

I stopped playing it (for now, I'll return) due to the repetition, rather than reaching completion, but it took a good 12 hours or so before that happened. That's plenty of playtime for a downloadable game, especially at it's sale price.

Please tell me I can buy the soundtrack somewhere. The game is fine I guess, I played it for two hours straight on my first session, I never do that. But the soundtrack is really out of this world.

Wait what? Er... did we listen to the same thing? oO Literally gets my award for most out of place soundtrack in anything, ever. What the fucking fuck were they thinking? This isn't ReZ...

Tomodachi

Wait what? Er... did we listen to the same thing? oO Literally gets my award for most out of place soundtrack in anything, ever. What the fucking fuck were they thinking? This isn't ReZ...
It is indeed a bit out of place but it adds to the weirdness of the game, imho. In any case I was talking about the soundtrack per se, I think it's really good regardless of how it fits the game (many tracks at least, they remind me of Nabuyoshi Sano's stuff), that's why I was asking for a soundtrack, but it appears they didn't release any :(

very weird game. just in my second session i dragged a train of lions beside a real train station. i don't know if this was intentional, but it was funny. the whole screen was full of them.

I played a little more last night and got the hang of it a little more. Killed a bunch of pigs, chickens, cats (who seem quite aggressive) and then I got mauled by a tiger that jumped out at me from the dark! Wondering when I can unlock other animals.

It takes forever to run through the results screen after game over though, and even longer if you're online - I'm mashing R1 to fast foward but get nothing, and then X to skip and it still takes forever.

Fun little game so far but I do really wonder where the ~4.3GB it needs come from.
I thought that too, quite the download/install time over PSN.

Daigoro

now that ive had a chance to sink some time into it, i LOVE this game. it is fantastic.

im proud to say that this was the first game i bought and played on my first PS3. its just awesome.

Tomodachi

Got my PSVita a few hours ago from amazon.it, just in time to try the new Remote patch for this game!

It plays really good on handheld, makes me wonder why they didn't develop it for the Vita in the first place. I can sense a little bit of lag but it's playable just fine. The remote power on/ff is amazing. What a great piece of hardware!

Sera O

Banned
Sweet, I need to try the remote play thing. If the range is decent then playing in bed is really appealing, given how freaking cold it's been in my living room lately. I love portables.

Like the game so far, only played Survival mode and managed to get to like Generation 4 with my Pomeranian(s).

So you can actually play local co-op then? Nice!

Also: Why do i get intoxicated sometimes even when NOT running through areas filled with purple mist?

Make sure the meat you're eating isn't intoxicated. Also, I don't think you see purple mist for the lower levels of intoxication.

Not with a Pomeranian. :p

What do you mean by that? Pretty sure i ate a regular crow i slayed just before... It is possible i let it sit there for a while as backup food in case i wouldn't find other stuff soon, but meat doesn't "rot" in this game and goes toxic does it?

Also: The mist is just the area that was full of it i thought and that that was WHY i even got intoxicated in the first place? So you're saying what i was seeing was simply hallucination because my toxicity levels were too high??? ugh

Number45

Meat does indeed go toxic if it's left for too long. It should glow purple (though it's not so easy to see on the smaller animals when it's just starting) then gradually darken to black.

Meat does indeed go toxic if it's left for too long. It should glow purple (though it's not so easy to see on the smaller animals when it's just starting) then gradually darken to black.

So it's best to ALWAYS eat meat right away whenever you kill something then? Are there other ways of getting yourself intoxicated?

Number45

At the very least try and make sure that it's clean, but it's better to be safe than sorry if you don't have a ready way of combating it. Remember you can carry the meat around in your mouth as well.

You can get intoxicated drinking in contaminated areas as well.

Damnit i just CANNOT find that beagle boss, it says it's in Dogenzaka district, i checked everywhere but it's NOT! The quest IS red though does that mean i need to come back later or something?

also: got stuck in an apartment with no issue and a huge wolf in it :( safe to say that was the end of my last Cat... you can't break windows can you lol?

Damnit i just CANNOT find that beagle boss, it says it's in Dogenzaka district, i checked everywhere but it's NOT! The quest IS red though does that mean i need to come back later or something?

If it doesn't say "active" (or something to that effect) next to the challenge, you can't do it yet (or missed the chance when it was active).

EDIT: You can finish some challenges before they become "active" but they won't count until you finish other challenges first.

Ultimadrago

Finally got to get my hands on this game. I'm having good fun with it, but I wish progression didn't rely so heavily on Survival mode. Along with mechanics virtually identical for all animals, Tokyo Jungle wears and tears a bit in lengthy sessions.

Tomodachi

Finally got to get my hands on this game. I'm having good fun with it, but I wish progression didn't rely so heavily on Survival mode. Along with mechanics virtually identical for all animals, Tokyo Jungle wears and tears a bit in lengthy sessions.
I found the perfect balance after many sessions: only one story chapter and the relative group of three archives in survival more (every time with a new animal, and trying to achieve the goals to unlock another animal), per session, at most. Any more and I end up getting bored and hating the game. This way every time I play I enjoy it a lot.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So GAF, is the Complete Animal DLC Pack worth the $6.99? Gonna be picking this up on sale tomorrow and am curious if the extra animals are worth it lol.

Top Bottom