• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

flyover

Weird, I completed the challenge that says its reward is the ability to play as a cat, but nothing actually unlocked.

Once you win the challenge, you still have to pay (in points) to unlock the new animal. That may be what's happening. When starting a new game move the selector to the cat, and you may see an option to purchase it.

Otherwise, not sure what happened.

Once you win the challenge, you still have to pay (in points) to unlock the new animal. That may be what's happening. When starting a new game move the selector to the cat, and you may see an option to purchase it.

Otherwise, not sure what happened.

Err, I guess I hadn't actually met the challenge (it just put it as my current objective). What's the point of unlocking the other cat colors? Is it purely an aesthetic change?

Mandoric

Banned
Err, I guess I hadn't actually met the challenge (it just put it as my current objective). What's the point of unlocking the other cat colors? Is it purely an aesthetic change?

Yep. Some animals have stat variants (female lion is a big one), you can see them by selecting and watching the chart.

TEJ

I want to enjoy this game but I don't get it. I'm playing as a pomeranian, who can kill small defenseless things and maybe small creatures that can defend themselves and i'm trying to find a cat territory but i'm always getting killed on my search for one. where exactly is the cat territory? I always try to do the missions so i'm powered up but I always seem to die.

Number45

The location is random I think, but when I did that one they were in the suburbs (most south easterly part of the map). How are you dying?

Finally managed to get a couple of new unlocks tonight - Tosa and Wolf. I do like the speed of the Tosa, although it sucks on hunger.

I want to enjoy this game but I don't get it. I'm playing as a pomeranian, who can kill small defenseless things and maybe small creatures that can defend themselves and i'm trying to find a cat territory but i'm always getting killed on my search for one. where exactly is the cat territory? I always try to do the missions so i'm powered up but I always seem to die.

Go to the map. Click the zoom out button. Look for the area where it says "Event", go to the area where the "event" is occurring. Get used to using the map a lot if you want to get deep into this game.

Number45

I always tend to run into animals much stronger than me.
You'd be surprised what you can take out, even as a Pomeranian, but the key is to get the jump on them. Creep around (L1) and use the cover when it's available - you can one hit kill a LOT (including wolves and the like) by timing your R1 strike.

Sometimes the game will just screw you over of course, but I didn't have it happen often early on in the game.

EDIT: Also, you can animation cancel your R1 (if it connects) by dodging straight out of it (right stick) as long as you have the stamina available.

Do the non-predators get any more fun to play? I just started playing as the first deer and I'm finding it to be pretty dull.

It can get pretty awesome when you play as the speedy grazers with their double-jump, and some of them have attack stats like that of a carnivore. That said, those animals take a long time to unlock...if you're not a fan of stealth and platforming, grazers might underwhelm for a while. Personally speaking, I've lasted the longest with a grazer.

cj_iwakura

It can get pretty awesome when you play as the speedy grazers with their double-jump, and some of them have attack stats like that of a carnivore. That said, those animals take a long time to unlock...if you're not a fan of stealth and platforming, grazers might underwhelm for a while. Personally speaking, I've lasted the longest with a grazer.

Toxicity is hell on a grazer, though. I find carnivore stick and move and devour to be vastly more fun.

Haunted

What do the _G numbers mean under an animal in the selection screen? Number of generations? Is it like a record best or is it how often I played survival mode with that animal?

Mandoric

Banned
Definitely. I prefer the carnivores because I genuinely enjoy the game's combat. Once you realize you can right-stick out of the bite animation battle flows so smoothly.

Midsized herbivores can be good for combat too, the early ones just suffer too much from the effective -1 to size for Clean Kills. Some of them get a proper 3-hit combo too.

randomkid

I guess I'm one of the few who maxed out the grazer path first just for the sheer variety: chick, chimp, pig, cow, hippo, elephant, these are all animals I needed to play as. Also, kicking things across the screen as a goat/sheep is endlessly satisfying.

Meanwhile I'm still stuck in the endless feeling rut of dog/wolf types on the carnivore path, I'm at lycaon so hopefully almost done.

I guess I'm one of the few who maxed out the grazer path first just for the sheer variety: chick, chimp, pig, cow, hippo, elephant, these are all animals I needed to play as. Also, kicking things across the screen as a goat/sheep is endlessly satisfying.

Meanwhile I'm still stuck in the endless feeling rut of dog/wolf types on the carnivore path, I'm at lycaon so hopefully almost done.

Yeah, a lot of the the early carnivores sort of play the same. After lycaon, things get a bit more interesting.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I can confirm that if your PS Plus subscription runs out you don't get to keep the first DLC pack if you got it for free with Plus. I'd seen a few posts implying otherwise so I thought I should mention it. My Plus subscription ended, and all the animals from the first pack have the red locks on them and it says to purchase them from the Playstation Store.

Played Survival for 2 hours with fat cats before I realized these were a dead end because they're from the PS Plus DLC. At least I had tons of fun.

I'm really loving the game so far. Such an amazing concept.

Mandoric

Banned
Played Survival for 2 hours with fat cats before I realized these were a dead end because they're from the PS Plus DLC. At least I had tons of fun.

I'm really loving the game so far. Such an amazing concept.

A couple hours of free play isn't a waste of time. Even besides just being fun, 100% unlock takes a few more points than you'll probably pick up just doing unlock challenges. :D

I currently have a fuckload of lions chasing me and I don't know what to do to escape--they can never let me get far enough away to hide. What should I do now?

edit: nevermind; now dead

Dizzy

Banned
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I can confirm that if your PS Plus subscription runs out you don't get to keep the first DLC pack if you got it for free with Plus. I'd seen a few posts implying otherwise so I thought I should mention it. My Plus subscription ended, and all the animals from the first pack have the red locks on them and it says to purchase them from the Playstation Store.
Sonys taking back dlc now? Lame.

Anyway I'm struggling with the Panther boss. Every unlock until now has been a piece of cake but the panther has spawned twice in Yamanaoto line west, and theres hundreds of them! To make matters worse they're always chasing after cows and buffalos so its hard to catch them off guard. They just tear apart my cheetahs in seconds. Gonna try it in 2 player so I can double my army, and sleep cus its damn hard to spot them in advance at night.

OMG Aero

Wow that's kind of bullshit. I assumed like themes and avatars you just kept DLC you get with Plus. What happens if you are playing a game with story DLC and your subscription runs out when your only save is in some DLC you got with Plus, are you just fucked and have to get Plus or buy the DLC to play on that save again?

I'm still loving the game, it's pretty engrossing.

So far, the pace is great because I try to go back and forth between story and survival, whenever I'm done unlocking an animal and the next story section, I move back to the story.

Funny fact: I'm more of a dog person than cat person but playing with cats and taking down wolves or jackals feels really awesome.

I really like how they've managed to give an epic feel to the whole thing while most of the time, it's about pets/farm animal killing each other.

Mondriaan

Wow that's kind of bullshit. I assumed like themes and avatars you just kept DLC you get with Plus. What happens if you are playing a game with story DLC and your subscription runs out when your only save is in some DLC you got with Plus, are you just fucked and have to get Plus or buy the DLC to play on that save again?
The game probably only checks when you're starting a new game, but that's speculation on my part.

Anyway, I've always assumed that anything free with Plus is available only while you have Plus.

flyover

Biggest one is probably the animation cancelling out of the bite attack with the right stick.

Yeah, that one's essential. It's useful enough for going after groups of prey. But it can actually save your life if you're attacking a pack of something that might attack you back.

For example, this weekend I was a cheetah going after the black panther boss, who himself was surrounded by panthers. I hid in the grass, lunged and killed a panther, and then immediately sprang backwards back into the grass. My caution level jumped to 10% for a few seconds, went down when no other panthers saw me, and I could then repeat the process until I got the boss.

It also works well at night, even if there's no grass around. When the Yamanote lines fill up with lions, you can attack a lion, jump away, and any lions that come to investigate are unlikely to see you (unless you leap the wrong way, of course).

Anyone know where JUNGLE24 is?

MuOzj.jpg

Click to enlarge. It's kinda cluttered, but Jungle24 is almost directly north of BuJin.

zulux21

from the playstation store blog update
NEW DLC
spoilered for certain odd DLC
Tokyo Jungle
Animal Character Bundle 3 ($2.49) – Download this Animal Character Bundle 3 to play as the Homo Erectus, Businessman, Saber-toothed Tiger and ERC-X in TOKYO JUNGLE.
Complete Animal Character Bundle ($6.99) – Download this Complete Animal Character Bundle to play as the Black Pomeranian, White Pomeranian, Silky Terrier, Fat Cat, Kangaroo, Giraffe, Panda, Crocodile, Homo Erectus, Businessman, Saber-toothed Tiger and ERC-X.
Mawashi Costume (Free) – Download this costume and dress up your character in TOKYO JUNGLE.
Famitsu Swag Costume (Free) – Download this costume and dress up your character in TOKYO JUNGLE.
Pipo Helmet Costume (Free) – Download this costume and dress up your character in TOKYO JUNGLE.
ERC-X Character ($0.99) – Download this character to play as the ERC-X Character in TOKYO JUNGLE.
Saber-toothed Tiger Character ($0.99) – Download this character to play as the Saber-toothed Tiger Character in TOKYO JUNGLE.
Businessman Character ($0.99) – Download this character to play as the Businessman Character in TOKYO JUNGLE.
Homo Erectus Character ($0.99) – Download this character to play as the Homo Erectus Character in TOKYO JUNGLE

zulux21

Damn, talk about DLC spoilers! Lol. Pretty crazy shit in there, though.

Businessman??? Wat

*goes back and spoil tags it* I didn't even think about that given I just copy and pasted from the store update post lol

Do you think that it will get cheaper soon guys? I'm planing on get it, but I want to wait a little bit!

given that this is the psn we are talking about and not steam the 20% off that plus had at launch will likely be the cheapest you will see it for a long time. Earliest I would expect it to go on sale would be perhaps during the spring sale next year.

flyover

from the playstation store blog update
NEW DLC
spoilered for certain odd DLC

My wife is playing the next-to-last thing in that list now. It's pretty hilarious. This game is silly and super-tense and wonderful.

Its really fun to play as the
Business Man
, but it don't seem he can mate... saw no
Business Women
anywhere.

Poor guy...

Yeah, we were surprised by that at first, too. Guess it makes sense, but it would be funny if there were mates/offspring.

Archon473

Seeing as there is a Complete DLC Pack offered, do you think this week will be the last offering of all DLC for awhile? I have no problem buying the game and the complete DLC pack, but I don't want a DLC Pack 4 to be released in a couple weeks.

Top Bottom