• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

Mandoric

Banned
Wait you can play as the crow?

No, it's just the only carnivore chickens/bunnies/porcs can instagib.

Also, unlocking the cheetah is a pain in the ass. Even doing multiplayer it's a ridiculous piece of shit in some areas because they'll detect you from so far away and just bolt to your face. Wife and I have tried entirely too many times and always meet in failure for one reason or another.

Dogenzaka is great for catching him. Lots of bushes and deadends.

Finished story mode. I can't think off-hand of any other game I've enjoyed as much this year.
Now begins the grind to buy the 'creature' you unlock at the end :'(
Such an amazing touch to have him/them included though, that era Sony was best Sony for sure!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just finished the story mode, too. With
both endings. The boss in the true ending reminded me almost of an Ys boss.
I'm surprised at how well the story is told. Even if most of the "real" story is told in the archive, it still connects very well with how the "normal" story unfolds.
It's such a wonderful and unique game.

Now back to Survival mode. I've got something new to play with. :)

Haunted

I've stopped trying to go for longer survival runs and started just unlocking things, it's the best way to keep things fresh and switch it up since the layout is really always the same. I still think it's poor to have systems I've already encountered and mastered in survival explained to me in simple and limited steps in the story mode afterwards, but whatever. Just did the pack combat tutorial with the Beagles and the Tosa after using pack combat all the time during the previous survival run that unlocked that story. >_>

The game is simple, but it gets real vicious somewhere around 40+ years in, when some of the more dangerous hunters are let loose on the map (at least that's when I mostly encounter panthers, lions, bears and crocodiles). Good stuff!

I thought the same at first, but I think there's something to be said about learning the layout of the city. This simply works better with the (admittedly broken) challenge system. Otherwise, you'd probably spend half the game staring at the map screen.
Plus, it might help make it feel more like a real place than yet another random dungeon.
Why is the challenge system broken?

Celegus

No, but you know you want to buy it. Give in.

Yeah, really. Especially when your name is OldJadedGamer... I can guarantee you've never seen anything quite like this before. It's great!

I've actually been playing as herbivores more than carnivores. I'm up to the Cow and Hyena respectively, and only have a couple of story missions left.

Flipyap

Do some animals have a different starting point than others?
Nope! It's always right in the middle of Shibuya Station.

Why is the challenge system broken?
Because of its (and the map's) random nature. More often than not you will get a set of challenges that are simply impossible to complete.
Stuff like: get to the other end of the map + mate 2 times + eat 4 specific plants that happened to spawn in the one area you didn't run through, or kill 40 animals as a pomeranian when all that's left in the city are dinosaurs and lions.

Just finished the story mode, too. With
both endings. The boss in the true ending reminded me almost of an Ys boss.
Just got the
true ending as well
I get what you mean in gameplay terms, but calling it that makes the story feel really dark. Well, darker

Mandoric

Banned
Nope! It's always right in the middle of Shibuya Station.

Because of its (and the map's) random nature. More often than not you will get a set of challenges that are simply impossible to complete.
Stuff like: get to the other end of the map + mate 2 times + eat 4 specific plants that happened to spawn in the one area you didn't run through, or kill 40 animals as a pomeranian when all that's left in the city are dinosaurs and lions.

Eh, that's honestly pretty rare, especially if you keep track in advance--you can EASILY do Yamanote West to Vintage Threads in six or seven years with most critters while stopping to mate twice, and if you've got your eyes open you can be sitting at the nest in Shibuya Station with a mate by your side ready to tap ○ when it hits year x1.

Getting animal/plant screwed happens a lot less once you realize that both mating and sleeping reroll food distribution. The harder ones tend to only come up when you've got 14 years to complete, too. And especially for animals, you get a good feel of where pigeons and crows can be farmed.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I get what you mean in gameplay terms, but calling it that makes the story feel really dark. Well, darker

The game calls it that (or at least the trophy description does). Also,
from the animals's perspective, the normal ending is a lot more brutal

Flipyap

The game calls it that (or at least the trophy description does). Also,
from the animals's perspective, the normal ending is a lot more brutal
That's messed up, game!
I thought the same thing when I first saw the endings, but my opinion changed completely once I reached the 100 year mark. It's a Pyrrhic victory either way, but the "heroic" option is devastating for everyone.

Yeah, really. Especially when your name is OldJadedGamer... I can guarantee you've never seen anything quite like this before. It's great!

I've actually been playing as herbivores more than carnivores. I'm up to the Cow and Hyena respectively, and only have a couple of story missions left.

It looks right up my alley but I have a big no demo = no buy policy only broken for Journey.

flyover

so are the DLC animals (the most recent batch with the croc and roo) worth paying for?

If you're a completionist, you're really enjoying the game, and you don't mind shelling out $2.50, then sure. I did, and I'm glad I did, but I honestly have only used each new animal once. It was fun to get to "skip" right to some of the bigger animals, but I kind of prefer playing smaller things -- at least so far.

I do like the kangaroo a lot, though... Just wish it was omnivorous. That would be a fun twist (even if it would overpower them).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Open up your map and choose Quit (last option on the right).

I wouldn't recommend this. If you abandon the game by quitting, you won't receive any of the survival points you've earned. I learned this the hard way. A retire option would have been nice for when I'm just trying to unlock a new animal, though.

Is there a way to suicide in this game (so that I can continue with the story) other than to find something to kill me/wait?

Unless you really want to quit, wouldn't the sleep option at a captured nest be a better option? You can continue your Survival round afterwards, though I don't know if new archives pop up in a continued game.

I suppose that would also give you a chance to look around while capturing the area to see if something will get you. ;)

Joni

Unless you really want to quit, wouldn't the sleep option at a captured nest be a better option? You can continue your Survival round afterwards, though I don't know if new archives pop up in a continued game.
No, you need to die for them to appear.

Number45

No, you need to die for them to appear.
Yeah, doesn't look like there's an easier way of doing it. Never mind.

I'm starting a survival game, going for the archives and challenges, but as soon as I have the archives (and assuming I've failed one of the challenges, otherwise I'll keep going until I do) I'm just dropping straight out and playing through the story.

I finished the last story mission this morning. Damn, that was intense.
Robot Dog is a badass.
Now I can focus more on my survival game. So far, I've only survived a maximum of 66 years because I've made a point of devoting each playthrough specifically to unlocking animals and picking up data cards. Now that I don't have to worry about unlocking story missions, I can get deeper into Survival.

I picked up Dishonored and Pokemon White 2 thinking they would eclipse Tokyo Jungle and that I'd have to pick it up at a later date, but to my surprise I just kept coming back - game is impossible to put down once you get into the groove of it. Easily my GOTY after Dragon's Dogma.

randomkid

Made it to 108 years with my wolf pack in a pretty cheesy way (previous record was 88 with goats I think), I just hung out in Yoyogi Park Underground for about 30 years, drinking water. It was empty when I first got there with my mate in Year 70, so it was just a matter of running out the clock, making sure I drank water at the last possible minute each time both generations. Finally ventured above ground at the 99 year mark to claim my territory and mate at the last second. The reward was pretty cool, I wish I hadn't spoiled it for myself accidentally, got in one clean kill too!

flyover

Made it to 108 years with my wolf pack in a pretty cheesy way (previous record was 88 with goats I think), I just hung out in Yoyogi Park Underground for about 30 years, drinking water. It was empty when I first got there with my mate in Year 70, so it was just a matter of running out the clock, making sure I drank water at the last possible minute each time both generations. Finally ventured above ground at the 99 year mark to claim my territory and mate at the last second. The reward was pretty cool, I wish I hadn't spoiled it for myself accidentally, got in one clean kill too!

I did pretty much the same thing with my Jackals, except I hid out at Shibuya Station, drinking from the water pools and ducking into the sewers when Toxicity got too high.

So funny how I went from being the biggest jerk/stud in the city -- killing virtually everything I saw over the first 30 years and mating only with prime females -- to the lowest coward on the planet by year 70 or so.

I slunk my way back from Yoyogi Park to Shibuya Station, surviving on the occasional porcupine and toxic water. And then I spent my last few generations (had a sleeping bag, luckily) racing for puddles, smacking down the odd crow, mating with desperate fleabags, and cowering back underground to make it past year 100.

It was pathetic -- and yet still so satisfying when I broke the century mark.

Owensboro

I'm assuming the larger animals can't make it into the sewers at all?

I just unlocked the Horse and Zebra and gave both a go, only to find out none of the manholes or even any of the paths that lead to the undergrounds are open. Also, I'm pretty upset horses don't have a double jump because I was excited to see the ridiculousness of it. I'm assuming this means the Hippo doesn't have one either? So sad, so sad. At least horse kicking dinosaurs is awesome. Time to try that Zebra "Take the Hippo's territory" challenge again!

Mandoric

Banned
I'm assuming the larger animals can't make it into the sewers at all?

I just unlocked the Horse and Zebra and gave both a go, only to find out none of the manholes or even any of the paths that lead to the undergrounds are open. Also, I'm pretty upset horses don't have a double jump because I was excited to see the ridiculousness of it. I'm assuming this means the Hippo doesn't have one either? So sad, so sad. At least horse kicking dinosaurs is awesome. Time to try that Zebra "Take the Hippo's territory" challenge again!

Size 4- only. 5 and 6 are condemned to life on the surface.

Mandoric

Banned
Man, those chimps in act 10 are kicking my ass!

□□ to stun/make vulnerable, clean kill, IMMEDIATELY rstick out, against swarms the best strategy is to rack up three or four clean kills in a row using that animation cancel. don't be afraid to train them and use terrain against them.
if you're still having trouble, there should be medicine up the stairs to the left.

cj_iwakura

□□ to stun/make vulnerable, clean kill, IMMEDIATELY rstick out, against swarms the best strategy is to rack up three or four clean kills in a row using that animation cancel. don't be afraid to train them and use terrain against them.
if you're still having trouble, there should be medicine up the stairs to the left.

Yeah, stick and move with R stick makes you feel like such a badass, as the piles of wolf corpses around my hyena can attest.

Mandoric

Banned
So, I know this is probably a dumb question, but where exactly is "Vintage Threads"? I can't find it.

Middle of the southernmost street in the Shibuya shopping district, a couple buildings west of the flag and right around where the present spawns.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Equipment degrades with use, so once your Pet Clothes hits zero, it'll break entirely and you won't be able to wear it anymore. The 0 / 0 DLC stuff won't ever break though.

flyover

What do the numbers next to equipment mean? All of the free DLC armor has "0/0" next to it, while my Pet Clothes have "60/60".

What Semblance said. The non-0/0 stuff all wears out and has to be re-bought between games (except for the stuff that can't be purchased, like the tuxedo).

Once you've found an item, it then is available for future purchase. If you've unlocked a particularly useful item, it helps to have some in reserve. For example, I always have a few spare headlamps, just in case.

Much obliged, y'all. Is the only thing that carries over after death equipment? What does it take to unlock more animals? I made it pretty far with the Pomeranian (or so I thought).

Much obliged, y'all. Is the only thing that carries over after death equipment? What does it take to unlock more animals? I made it pretty far with the Pomeranian (or so I thought).

Check your list of challenges. Near the bottom, you'll see a challenge that should open up after a generation or two that will either have you defeating a boss, simply touching a boss, or dominating a territory filled with a particular animal. Complete the objective and you've unlocked the animal.

flowsnake

Weird, I completed the challenge that says its reward is the ability to play as a cat, but nothing actually unlocked.

The challenge wasn't active, perhaps. Each challenge has requirements you have to meet first to unlock the ability to get it. If you do the objectives before that, they don't count.

Top Bottom