• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

randomkid

So how do you get the Pteranodon's eggs in Act 7, the lioness hunting chapter? I can't seem to reach it or find a way to get up on top of the subway car. Feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Edit: I knew as soon as I typed I'd figure it out! Super dumb.

Mandoric

Banned
As a predator, your siblings aren't there primarily for damage (damage is a Clean Kill/Critical thing) or backup (they like to walk straight into attacks and most close melees end with you as the only one left).

They're there as backup hunger/toxicity meters.

It's important to remember that unless you're in a smog area, toxicity builds slower than hunger and it's usually a smart idea to drink from poisoned pools/eat rotting corpses if necessary.
Also, remember that full tox/empty hunger cause gradual HP damage rather than instadeath. And the second you raise hunger to 1/drop tox to 99, your HP starts recovering.
So if you're in a really desperate situation, you want to wait until you're almost dead to drink that bottled water or eat that pet food, just to stretch out the extra 20 or so seconds while your life ticks down and hopefully make it to a safer place.

Finally got to year 100. lol, I didn't realize this game literally does everything in its power to make you die at that point. How can you even survive past a few years at that point? Just drinking and resting?

Anyway, thing I'm finally done with the game now. Didn't unlock all the carnivores, and have absolutely no motivation to unlock most of the herbivores, but this was a damn good game while it lasted. Don't think I was this addicted to any since Persona 4. Easily worth more than double or triple its asking price and probably making my top 5 for the year.

Glad I got this out of the way. My dog is pretty sick and probably won't make it to the end of the year, and I definitely wouldn't want to play it then.

Kazzy

Finally got to year 100. lol, I didn't realize this game literally does everything in its power to make you die at that point. How can you even survive past a few years at that point? Just drinking and resting?

Yep, the arrival of certain species, essentially spells the end for your animal. You just have to accept that warm embrace!

It's cool when it first happens, but it does pull away that mystique.

Flipyap

This part of the end bugged me. I said yes the first time and it just ended, you are supposed to say no.
Nope. You're supposed to choose.
One completes your mission in the most unspectacular fashion and makes you feel bad for sacrificing a large chunk of the "jungle's" population, but saves humanity as the AIBOs knew it.
The other gives you a chance to play the hero and feel good about yourself as you try to maintain the status quo and make your heroic escape... neither of which works out in the end. Eventually a much deadlier hominid will return, the jungle will turn into a lifeless wasteland, but at least your corpse will turn into a statue, a symbol of your sacrifice understood by absolutely no one. So, good job, hero.

Yep, the arrival of certain species, essentially spells the end for your animal. You just have to accept that warm embrace!

It's cool when it first happens, but it does pull away that mystique.
I saw a tiny blip appear on Shibuya Shopping District's meat meter around the 120 year mark. I wonder if that becomes more common as time goes on.

SxP

So I did 13 story missions and went to the sewers to collect the final 3 archives. I took the
elevator down
but the door to the
secret lab
was closed. There were two crocs in front of the door. Do I need to kill them or do I need to do something else to open the door?

Kazzy

So I did 13 story missions and went to the sewers to collect the final 3 archives. I took the
elevator down
but the door to the
secret lab
was closed. There were two crocs in front of the door. Do I need to kill them or do I need to do something else to open the door?

It should open when you walk up to it, if the archives are in the lab, the route should be accessible. The only problem should be how you're going to get through there, because its usually taken up by some rough animals. My tactic was to go on a straight-suicide run with a grazer, something which I did with all the archives.

SxP

It should open when you walk up to it, if the archives are in the lab, the route should be accessible. The only problem should be how you're going to get through there, because its usually taken up by some rough animals. My tactic was to go on a straight-suicide run with a grazer, something which I did with all the archives.

Yeah, that was my plan as well. I guess it just glitched then. I'll try again later today.

apricot

so no one plays this in Multiplayer ??

I do. The camera's a bit weird and fights can get kind of confusing, but it's a lot of fun. But a word of caution: it's a LOT easier if you both play as the same animal. It only does the challenges for P1, so if P2 isn't the same species, none of their actions (kills, etc.) count.

I do. The camera's a bit weird and fights can get kind of confusing, but it's a lot of fun. But a word of caution: it's a LOT easier if you both play as the same animal. It only does the challenges for P1, so if P2 isn't the same species, none of their actions (kills, etc.) count.

I've not had that problem. Every time I played in co-op, we always got the requisite kills and kcals together...

Anyway, I was going to reply to the original question but found it too tricky on the phone so here are some bullet points :)

• Survival mode is multi-player but you can only play story mode in single-player
  • You get less survival points when playing multi-player (because the game becomes slightly easier)
  • The aim is the same as before. Survive as long as you can
  • Carnivores can't eat any animal that's the same species as your partner (similar to how you can't eat an animal of your own species - except different types of dogs)
  • When finding a mate, the mates are usually both for you or your partner - not both
  • When using an item, both players receive the benefit (I don't know if this applies to items which increase stats)

Hope that helps :)

Sarcasm

I've only played multiplayer. Its awesome. Though I have some quirks like the delay after attacking..if there are two say rabbits and both of you have one targetted only the one that attacks and when done other rabbit just runs away.

ElFly

elevator down
but the door to the
secret lab

Did you grab the keycard?

flowsnake

I try to follow the challenges, but I never know what to do in the gap between challenges. When I try going to other areas in the mean time, it often takes too long to run all the way back when the challenges finally do unlock. Am I missing something?

It's also really annoying that the initial challenges require 1 year to have passed, at least some of them do.

ElFly

Not that I recall. Where can I find it?

It's the only sd card available when you completed the next-to-last mission. Without it, you can see the three cards in the facility, but they are transparent. Once you grab it, they become 100% opaque and visible.

And without it the door won't open.

I try to follow the challenges, but I never know what to do in the gap between challenges. When I try going to other areas in the mean time, it often takes too long to run all the way back when the challenges finally do unlock. Am I missing something?

It's also really annoying that the initial challenges require 1 year to have passed, at least some of them do.

I just check where the next challenge is and head there. There's almost always a location challenge and maybe a generation change.

Of course, old age and the odd predator will chuck the spanner in the works. Unless desperate, save food for the kcal challenges and really save mushrooms or berries if the challenge requires them. Just prepare as much as you can and finish the challenges early.

Kazzy

I just check where the next challenge is and head there. There's almost always a location challenge and maybe a generation change.

Of course, old age and the odd predator will chuck the spanner in the works. Unless desperate, save food for the kcal challenges and really save mushrooms or berries if the challenge requires them. Just prepare as much as you can and finish the challenges early.

Pretty much, the challenges such as the change 2 generations can really be time consuming too, so you can go claim a territory in the meantime.

SxP

It's the only sd card available when you completed the next-to-last mission. Without it, you can see the three cards in the facility, but they are transparent. Once you grab it, they become 100% opaque and visible.

And without it the door won't open.

Yeah, I must've missed that they first time around. Thanks.

I know certain elements of this game are supposed to be random, but sometimes I have a hard time believing the game is not intentionally being a dick. Playing survival as a cow I'm in Shibuya Suburbs, and the zebra boss appears in Yoyogi Park West. I actually manage to get there, and the zebra bolts immediately. As a cow I have zero chance of catching this thing. No idea how I'm supposed to unlock it. Then there's a bunch of lycaons, which quickly turns into a lot of lycaons and the cow dies.

Well this may not be the best place to ask but does this seem like the type of game Sony will put on sale eventually? Yeah 12 is nice but eh RCR and Jet Set Radio are coming soon too.
Opinions? I want it eventually but I want to get it on sale too lol

WatTsu

Well this may not be the best place to ask but does this seem like the type of game Sony will put on sale eventually? Yeah 12 is nice but eh RCR and Jet Set Radio are coming soon too.
Opinions? I want it eventually but I want to get it on sale too lol

This is a better game than Jet Set Radio would be nowadays. I would not wait on it.

Haunted

Who came up with the Surival -> Story game structure? It should be completely the other way around. Story missions acting as a tutorial should be unlocked from the start (sequentually, naturally), unlocking stuff for the survival mode, not the other fucking way around.

:boggle:

Mandoric

Banned
Who came up with the Surival -> Story game structure? It should be completely the other way around. Story missions acting as a tutorial should be unlocked from the start (sequentually, naturally), unlocking stuff for the survival mode, not the other fucking way around.

What's wrong with it? You're exploring, finding new and interesting content in the sandbox, then switching over to a strict challenge mode to prove you've mastered it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Survival mode is supposed to be the main event of this game, but the market is trained to always assume that story is the main event, and most people would probably only play story mode if that was an option. I'm glad that story mode is actually a reward within survival mode. Otherwise I probably would have just played the story mode and hated this game because the story mode wasn't that good.

When the story mode is put in the context of being just a little reward found in survival mode, the entire story mode is just more palatable.

Haunted

What's wrong with it? You're exploring, finding new and interesting content in the sandbox, then switching over to a strict challenge mode to prove you've mastered it.
I definitely feel it's the other way around. The story missions basically feel like prep training for the survival mode, introducing and explaining concepts one at a time. Ideally, one should complete these smaller and more focused challenges and then apply what you've learned from them to the much bigger and more encompassing survival/sandbox mode. At least I think that would be a much more natural and logical progression.

Survival mode is supposed to be the main event of this game, but the market is trained to always assume that story is the main event, and most people would probably only play story mode if that was an option. I'm glad that story mode is actually a reward within survival mode. Otherwise I probably would have just played the story mode and hated this game because the story mode wasn't that good.

When the story mode is put in the context of being just a little reward found in survival mode, the entire story mode is just more palatable.
Yeah, maybe that was their thought process for switching these around... but the game structure doesn't really support it, imo. Again, all the story missions I've played so far feel like tutorials/training for the survival mode, yet I only unlock them by having already done well in survival mode.

Really feels turned around/backwards. It's more puzzling and a bit annoying than an outright deal breaker, but still, weird.

Number45

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but it's definitely the reverse of how most games do this (which is play through it in campaign mode, unlock it in arcade mode). It works here though.

After my initial concerns about the tension I managed to get into this last night. Reached 31 years I think, taking the first two districts (didn't find the alley cat though)... made my way towards the next set of objectives and got completely mauled by a pack of tigers. RIP my Pomeranian. :(

Having survival mode being the main focus is definitely an interesting way to do things. I'm one of those people that would have played story mode and never touched survival mode otherwise.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've been eyeing the Croc, personally. The Roo should be fun too since he can punch the shit out of stuff. Of course they release this DLC just as I've finally started to unlock the big predators in game. Oh well, I can't say no to new animals (I can say no to buying different colored animals, lookin at you white Pomeranian).

I was expecting the DLC packs to be free for Plus members. Probably won't pick up the new ones right away.

EDIT: Is there a list of what event animals give you items? I got a lion costume from a silky terrier, but nothing from the giant rabbit.

Haunted

Steam? Please?!
Never. Sony game.

Having survival mode being the main focus is definitely an interesting way to do things. I'm one of those people that would have played story mode and never touched survival mode otherwise.
Honestly given how the story mode itself is structured - linear, tightly focused mission introducing concepts - I don't think it's a stretch to think that reviewers and players would've understood that it's basically a training mode for the main game mode, survival. The game's a roguelike-like, I do think the audience for that is smarter and more knowledgeable than your average player. I personally think it would've worked better that way. And I do get the feeling that it was intended like that from the devs initially, but for some reason they changed it during development, but oh well. :)

Still, even while Tokyo Jungle has some design decisions I don't necessarily agree with (the way story chapters unlock, the way characters unlock and the levels/environments not being randomly generated), it's still a lot of fun to play. :) One of the weaker roguelike[-likes] this year but it's a genre that has been neglected for a long time, so it's just fantastic in itself to have more of them. :D

Top Bottom