• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

Flipyap

Thanks for that map, looks pretty useful!

I had a challenge to go to the Parking Lot, and ran around that area on the map forever (near bike and stop sign) and didn't get a challenge clear. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance!
The actual spot you have to stand on is a bit closer to the camera, almost in the middle of the road.
Those challenges aren't designed very well, I had similar issues with the rooftop garden challenge.

W1SSY

I think I agro'd like 30 lions in Yamamoto Line West. God fucking damn, beagles never stood a chance.

I know that feeling. On my last game last night as the beagle I was trying to get out of the sewers and ended up in an area filled with lions, tigers, and bears
oh, my
. My beagle pack was either going down to the hunger or go out fighting so I made a stand and got destroyed. This game is so much fun and I am glad I picked it up.

Mondriaan

The beagle can outrun a pride of lions, although it might die of hunger during a prolonged pursuit.
My grazer experience so far is that wolves are much more of a problem than lions as far as their willingness to chase you down until you die, but it might be a function of the terrain. The Yamanote Line animals don't seem interested in long chases in general.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I know that feeling. On my last game last night as the beagle I was trying to get out of the sewers and ended up in an area filled with lions, tigers, and bears
oh, my
. My beagle pack was either going down to the hunger or go out fighting so I made a stand and got destroyed. This game is so much fun and I am glad I picked it up.

This is always the best way to go out, it's how much Jackal run ended last night. Die with pride and take down as many as you can with you.

kiyomi

Put about 5 hours into this and still not beaten a single boss I don't think D:

I'm terrible at following the challenges, I'm just constantly thinking survival, which is testament to the game's design I guess. It's more tense than I ever expected it to be.

My best run was with a 3rd gen white pomeranian, was doing great, until I came up on a group of jackals in the sewers and thought I could take them, I lost most of my pack, but had one guy left and was spamming circle to eat as much food as he could so that he could mate with an average female that was nearby. Got the female interested, and saw the haystack icon, came within about 2-3 seconds of getting to it before my little guy just gave up and died. :(

Jintor

Golden Retriever needs so many calories to rank up, it's ridiculous. Add that to the RNG deciding to throw several zones devoid of life at me and I starved to death just as I managed to kill a single chicken...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You know what? Fuck the haters. This is a legitimately good game, even without the zaniness.

I actually haven't seen many haters. But I do agree. I was sold on the concept since the day of the announcement but surprisingly, the actual gameplay is just as novel as the concept. It's not perfect but it's good, addictive fun and I've been playing it more than anything else over the past week. I bought Borderlands 2 at full price but whenever I have a moment for gaming I can't help but go with Tokyo Jungle instead.

I actually haven't seen many haters. But I do agree. I was sold on the concept since the day of the announcement but surprisingly, the actual gameplay is just as novel as the concept. It's not perfect but it's good, addictive fun and I've been playing it more than anything else over the past week. I bought Borderlands 2 at full price but whenever I have a moment for gaming I can't help but go with Tokyo Jungle instead.

Same. I have Dead Space 2, Syberia, DMC1-4, Bioshock 2 and AC2:B primed to play, and 2 weeks in which to play them. I've been drawn to Tokyo Jungle time and again though. I started a Survival game earlier with the intention of just picking up the Archives and quitting, and ended up putting like 30 years into it

And I didn't really mean haters, I just meant people who question the legitimacy of the game's systems, depth and controls. There's been a few elsewhere, not read it on here I think.

tsab

Sorry if this have been asked before.
I played the tutorial and unlocked the first chapter in survival, but I lost due to hunger.
Can't you hunt at night? I couldn't find any food and my beagle died from hunger.

Loving it so far
even with the generic music

the chris

I played the tutorial and unlocked the first chapter in survival, but I lost due to hunger.
Can't you hunt at night? I couldn't find any food and my beagle died from hunger.

Loving it so far

You can bring up the map at the start menu and press the triangle button to zoom out and see which areas have food.

Koroviev

Loving it so far

You can definitely hunt at night. The issue was probably that you were in a food-scarce area. On the other hand, you should be wary of venturing into food-abundant areas as they're often swarming with large herbivores and their complimentary carnivores.

I survived like 67 years and several generations as a pomeranian, turn the corner in the Shubuya Shop District and boom, a velociraptor family reunion in progress. 15 dinos chasing me and clogging my escape lanes. Got cornered and... oh god... the horror...

tsab

You can bring up the map at the start menu and press the triangle button to zoom out and see which areas have food.

You can definitely hunt at night. The issue was probably that you were in a food-scarce area. On the other hand, you should be wary of venturing into food-abundant areas as they're often swarming with large herbivores and their complimentary carnivores.

I see, thanks for the tips. My weekend is starting and I want to die dive into Tokyo Jungle :D

hertog

bought thegame. just wtf!
And why is there no food around the subway station :(
Only living thing there that I found was a flea ridden desperate female

Koroviev

bought thegame. just wtf!
And why is there no food around the subway station :(
Only living thing there that I found was a flea ridden desperate female

It's best to check the food meter (zoom out on the map) prior to moving to a new area. A balanced meter is ideal.

Lucent

I was playing with my black pom and I was killing cats. Then I snuck up on some deer. And then I wasn't paying attention and attacked a sleeping panther (I think?) thinking it was a deer and got killed. Poor pom pom...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I was playing with my black pom and I was killing cats. Then I snuck up on some deer. And then I wasn't paying attention and attacked a sleeping panther (I think?) thinking it was a deer and got killed. Poor pom pom...

Sounds like when I was playing as a sheep and attacked a sleeping animal in the Shibuya Shop district during year 15 and IT WAS A FUCKING LION. In Shibuya Shop district, year 15. What the fuck. Lions NEVER show up there, especially not that early in the game.

Dizzy

Banned
Sounds like when I was playing as a sheep and attacked a sleeping animal in the Shibuya Shop district during year 15 and IT WAS A FUCKING LION. In Shibuya Shop district, year 15. What the fuck. Lions NEVER show up there, especially not that early in the game.
I had one show up there early in my game today too, can't remember the year but it was probably around the same....if not even earlier.

I absolutely love the randomness of survival mode though. Some days you can go almost all the way to 100 relatively easily, other days an armada of Lions or Bears just randomly spawns in your path and you're dead before lvl 30 due to carelessness or being overconfident. Keeps you on your toes.

This is always the best way to go out, it's how much Jackal run ended last night. Die with pride and take down as many as you can with you.
Definitely better than starving to death a sewer. I want that lion to think, "What the hell was that beagle thinking?"

He was...fighting for the future. A beagle posessed of a singular will to dominate, even against impossible odds.

Sgblues

Like 97-98 before
homo erectus
showed up early in groves and with no meds and hunger/poison I met my end on dilophosaurus.

I wasn't really paying attention much but I know I can reach 100 np.

Flipyap

How long has your longest sessions been peeps?
My pomeranian dynasty lasted almost 120 years - first time I passed the 100 year mark and so far my best run. I could have easily gone longer with the most expensive animal, but that felt like cheating and I didn't want that to be my best run, so I just that one die.

The pomeranians spent most of those final 20 years hiding in sewers and the caves under Yoyogi park, the outside world becomes far too dangerous by that point, and resources become so scarce, my poms had little choice but to try and survive on toxic sewer water until the final family made their way to the safest spot in the death trap that is the Yoyogi cave system, with at least (at last) some clean water they could use for sustenance until old age caught up with them and they couldn't even drink anymore, so all I could do was to watch them starve and drop dead, one by one.
Not the most noble of deaths, but I wouldn't let them get my pups, they'd go out on their own terms.

8sbPFl.jpg

JZEybl.jpg

This game.

Kazzy

I completed the story mode! It actually become interesting towards the end, and I was fully expecting the reasons behind the Tokyo Jungle, would be the usual cliched nonsense

I guess constructing a time machine to displace your future population, is certainly something different!

The final bosses are pretty bullshit, and are just more tedious than difficult. I nearly outright quit the game at one point, namely the final escape sequence. I had no idea it was going to occur, so naturally I squandered a second or two, scrambling for the controls. To say I was annoyed, once I was kicked back to the beginning of those boss fights, would be an understatement!

I also finally wrapped up my 100+ years survival...

Which were kind of cheating, to be honest. I used the robot dog, so it became more of an issue of not dying due to boredom.

Its a cool moment when you first break the century mark, especially when you encounter your first homo-erectus. It does get ridiculously hard, though. Getting mobbed by those things is not fun!

Oreoleo

TUXEDO IS OP! 3x HP, 2x hunger, and 2x stamina should be illegal.

Just made it to 120 years with the wolf, spent a couple years in the end hiding in a box from
homo erectus
waiting for night fall, at which point I tried to mark the spots in Dogenzaka to try and mate. Those guys have really good vision, turns out all the toxicity in the later years actually ends up working out to your advantage. I had two sleeping bags saved up, and found out to my pleasant surprise that on top of advancing it to night time, it also restores all of your HP!. Good stuff B)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Man, this game is incredible. I just iced a bunch of jackals as a badass pomeranian, then got snacked on by a croc as I was running past some water. Scared the shit out of me. Dove right back in for some more. There's a weird sort of arcade-like 'see how far you can get with another life' feel to this.

Top five game of the year, easily.

That'll teach me to assume. Spent 15 minutes walking around Shibuya Woods under the assumption that the Tosa boss would be there, then found out it was an Yomagazi or whatever its called. On the way there I had about 10 lions chasing me, and they mauled me to death :(

Torraz

Just got the game. Too bad its not on PC also, would love to see some mods / community balance tweaks.

Had two decent runs so far.
My first one was ended due to there being absolutely no food around :(. I guess that one was my bad, because I just read in this thread that you can check for food supply on the map.

My second run ended due to something much more annoying - toxicity. How is one supposed to get rid of this? It seems I was auto-poisoned directly after a new generation and there wasn't enough water, use-items, or animals to eat to bring it down. Especially if one takes into consideration the calories needed to rank up to be able to mate.

Just got the game. Too bad its not on PC also, would love to see some mods / community balance tweaks.

Had two decent runs so far.
My first one was ended due to there being absolutely no food around :(. I guess that one was my bad, because I just read in this thread that you can check for food supply on the map.

My second run ended due to something much more annoying - toxicity. How is one supposed to get rid of this? It seems I was auto-poisoned directly after a new generation and there wasn't enough water, use-items, or animals to eat to bring it down. Especially if one takes into consideration the calories needed to rank up to be able to mate.

Sometimes you have to leave the area, if the game throws toxicity, sparse food and no items at you at once

Top Bottom