• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021... I mean 2020 Thread

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Any idea where to watch the opening? Maybe 4k hdr feed somewhere?
I loved 2012 london opening... shame I missed this one
edit: nevermind.. .just seen it. it was nothing. 30 minutes of weird dance of covid and then countries.
London stays unbeaten

Last edited:

McCheese

How fucking boring, I get covid has made it a shitty year but having a low-key emo "pain" "broken" ceremony that said very little about Japan was such a let down. We could all have done with some fucking giant robots, manga, videogames and hello kitty and it wouldn't of been in bad taste, instead they completely dropped the ball with representing cool japan.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

MBC:

Screen_Shot_2017-11-06_at_12.41.31_PM.png

Any idea where to watch the opening? Maybe 4k hdr feed somewhere?
I loved 2012 london opening... shame I missed this one
edit: nevermind.. .just seen it. it was nothing. 30 minutes of weird dance of covid and then countries.
London stays unbeaten

I remember sitting down to watch, expecting the UK to be thoroughly embarrassed, but fuck me, did Danny Boyle do us proud.

Tschumi

This is great, free to air sports all day here.. i know allll about the scoring system in archery now

Opening ceremony just the sort of flex you want from the country that gave us Akira.. that drone globe was insane, i mean that's a new benchmark imo.. it was looking watching an anemone script in grasshopper animate... But stately and epic..

Bet the American dude in this archery competition has a bunker in Montana (jk i know nothing jon snow) they do appear to be getting schooled by Indonesia though

Kabuki kaijyu and improv pianist another real highlight, as well as the acted out pictograms, so cool haha even had one error

Last edited:

Tschumi

The lady on the treadmill at the start of the opening ceremony was a Japanese boxer* who couldn't compete because her qualifier got cancelled during covid, so the whole crowd of sprites encouraging her to get back up and keep going was actually pretty poignant and ghibli

* I wanna say boxer, not 100% sure

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

This is a much cooler way to represent the countries...by various Japanese anime artists:

Example:

io57VXi.jpg

More here:

This is a much cooler way to represent the countries...by various Japanese anime artists:

Example:

io57VXi.jpg

More here:

Still less cringe than the NHL and Stan Lee's "Guardian Project"

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Summer Olympics features such weird sports.

3v3 half court basketball, what the fuck? I've never seen this before.
Not every Summer sport can be as badass as Winter sports like Curling.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Still less cringe than the NHL and Stan Lee's "Guardian Project"

I dont watch allstar games since the 80s when they actually tried to play a real game an scores were 4-3.

So I never saw that intro. Most retarded thing I've ever seen. It's like Fox's puck tracker in 1995. What the fuck does Stan Lee and CGI superheroes have to do with the NHL?

ManaByte

Example:

io57VXi.jpg

More here:

usa-min-5d0c876ad0772__700.jpg

Man that's so 2021.

Cyberpunkd

SJRB

Gold Member
I have to say watching this fucking sucks, straight up. No crowd, no reactions. Face masks, social distancing. It's surreal, borderline uncomfortable.

Not to mention an increasing number of athletes dropping out because of Covid contaminations, it's crazy.

They should've delayed to 2024, fuck this shit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have to say watching this fucking sucks, straight up. No crowd, no reactions. Face masks, social distancing. It's surreal, borderline uncomfortable.

Not to mention an increasing number of athletes dropping out because of Covid contaminations, it's crazy.

They should've delayed to 2024, fuck this shit.
I dont care about Olympics as its 95% filler events where half of them are slight variations of the same core event, so delaying it makes no difference to me. Imagine if they had soccer and there's 6 different versions based on adjusting number of players or length of a match.

But if it's delayed what happens to Tokyo going through all the costs? Olympic cities are set 8 years in advance? Maybe promise Tokyo can have it back 12 years from now?

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I dont care about Olympics as its 95% filler events where half of them are slight variations of the same core event, so delaying it makes no difference to me. Imagine if they had soccer and there's 6 different versions based on adjusting number of players or length of a match.

But if it's delayed what happens to Tokyo going through all the costs? Olympic cities are set 8 years in advance? Maybe promise Tokyo can have it back 12 years from now?

The most obvious answer is "skip a beat" and delay every city +4 years. Compensate Japan for some costs and soft reboot in 3 years.

There are athletes winning medals in empty stadia, having to put up their own medal because people aren't allowed near them. This is dogshit, for both host country, athletes and spectators.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The most obvious answer is "skip a beat" and delay every city +4 years. Compensate Japan for some costs and soft reboot in 3 years.

There are athletes winning medals in empty stadia, having to put up their own medal because people aren't allowed near them. This is dogshit, for both host country, athletes and spectators.
Olympics is a business. They arent skipping anything with big moolah on the line. Gate and food receipts might be zero, but there's billions of TV and advertiser money on the line and there's no way execs are giving that up. Better to make small profits than no profits.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Nobody says shit about curling and gets away with it, this sport is fascinating. Did you know all curling stones in the world are made in one factory in Scotland?
You are talking to someone that loves curling at the Olympics lol

Porcile

Without crowds this is just too weird. The only enjoyable one to watch so far is the cycling because there are actually people there generating a tiny bit of atmosphere.

The weightlifting is like > twenty seconds of guy doing everything to prevent himself shitting his pants > drops the weight > a few seconds of silence > a computerised GOOD LIFT announcement > silence lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom