• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021... I mean 2020 Thread

reksveks

Women's Road Race was pretty great.

As a brit, Jade Jones going out so early was a shock.

Also on people saying it should have been delayed. I think competing at a crowdless Olympics is better than missing out on your possible final Olympics as an athlete.

Last edited:

Porcile

Women's Road Race was pretty great.

As a brit, Jade Jones going out so early was a shock.

Also on people saying it should have been delayed. I think competing at a crowdless Olympics is better than missing out on your possible final Olympics as an athlete.

It's really not. Maybe for the international TV audience it's okay, but I walked past one of the venues hosting an event today, and it felt like I was at the edge of a crime scene investigation. The lack of atmosphere and joy is utterly palpable and in the air, like the aftermath of a riot or accident.

Last edited:

reksveks

It's really not. Maybe for the international TV audience it's okay, but I walked past one of the venues hosting an event today, and it felt like I was at the edge of a crime scene investigation. The lack of atmosphere and joy is utterly palpable and in the air, like the aftermath of a riot or accident.
I am thinking about it as a competitor not an audience viewer.

Ballthyrm

TBH the USA doesn't play a lot of sport that are played internationally.
Most of the players only know what's like to play for a Club and nothing else.

It really hard to build yourself a team when everyone think they are superstars, and even harder when they actually are.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Team USA lost two exhibition matches already so the writing is on the wall.

The Americans then had a host of stars to lean on such as Durant, Jayson Tatum and Damian Lillard. But they failed as the French ran an execution clinic.
That's the norm in basketball. International teams do their best with less talent relying on pass and play, and pinpoint shooting (which seems like everyone from guards to centres all shoot solid 3 pt and FT). The US cobbles together allstar teams and expect them to gel in 1 or 2 weeks based off raw talent.

And most of the time that is good enough to win. Not this year (so far). USA already lost 3 times (two in exhibition).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Triathlon on now (or maybe its a replay I dont know). It starts with swimming. Half of the starting grid false started (there's probably 60 of them?) and swam 100 metres before being told to go back and start over. How dumb. lol

You could see on the replay it was hilarious. Half the grid jumps in the water and the other half couldnt as there was this big boat in the way.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
CBC or Sportsnet showing some Mens Field Hockey - Canada vs GB. Thats got to be the worst team sport I've even seen. Absolutely zero flow and constant whistles, violations and video replay. And due to the game mechanics, it's basically impossible to score a shot from way out. Nobody even attempts it. And there's no pass and play flow like ice hockey. Its non contact too so if you bump someone it's a penalty.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

13y old Brazilian girl won silver medal in skate... despite the lower score compared to the male category, was a fun final to watch

reksveks

13y old Brazilian girl won silver medal in skate... despite the lower score compared to the male category, was a fun final to watch
Woke up early and bbc was showing that, yeah it was good fun watching that. Half of the finalists looked like they had already taken some knocks in the process getting there.

The final run from the gold medalist was pretty good.

C4.lukin

Banned
So is anyone routing against your own country in certain events because you dislike....

I totally route for USA, in all events, but in Basketball not so much. As a Dallas Mavericks fan, I am routing for Slovenia. Because for all of the US team, they are villains in the NBA of my favorite team. And the fact that so many of our best Basketball players are sitting out, fuck off with them.

Ballthyrm

They are actually scored on the same table than mens are. Which is pretty cool as they specifically asked for it.
I think we will see that gap close by quite a bit in Paris 2024 when these Gals are all teenagers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Heads up. If surfing is on TV in your area watch it. It's on now on Sportsnet.

It's actually a shitty sport where half the time the surfers are wading through the water waiting for a good wave to try their attempt (I think they get a 5 minute time limit or something as theres a timer where it ends) and the commentators have to kill time. But each time they do it an attempt they wipe out after 5 seconds. It goes like this:

- Somehow the event works 1 vs 1 as two people are surfing at the same time
- Something about "priority" which I didnt understand. The commentators didnt explain it while I watched t
- Paddling out to find a wave (takes forever)
- Surfing a bit to get speed
- Attempt a 360 flip
- Wipe out
- Judge gives points

Last edited:

Allforce

That's such a dead-on description of Olympic Surfing lol. I was lightweight hyped to see it on the menu yesterday, watched about 20 minutes and quit to go watch paint dry.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Women’s Volleyball USA vs China right now. I wanted to see the women’s basketball USA vs Nigeria but I guess they aren’t showing it, only updates throughout

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Olympic Surfing is 1v1? Are there handcuffs?

phSIV3O.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's such a dead-on description of Olympic Surfing lol. I was lightweight hyped to see it on the menu yesterday, watched about 20 minutes and quit to go watch paint dry.
I totally forgot about surfing, but when I saw it on TV, I was thinking it would be a bunch of uber talented Jeff Spicolis doing killer cuts and riding waves like a tunnel like the stereotypical surfing baller the media tells.

In reality, it was shit and nothing like it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Olympic Surfing is 1v1? Are there handcuffs?

phSIV3O.gif
I didnt understand it. But maybe its done to save time. I dont know. But the guy getting more points won. There's some kind of "priority" system too which I didnt understand so maybe one guy gets first dibs on a wave or something. The commentators were shit and didn't really explain anything how the sport works.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you guys want to see the worst basketball ever, womens USA vs Nigeria. Nigeria started out fine and were leading. In the second quarter theyve scored maybe 5 pts and have bricked perimeter shots 3 pt shots for like 10+ shots in a row. There's more structure in boys high school team.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
USA women's basketball team secured their 50th straight win in the Olympics w/ that win over Nigeria

USA men's basketball plays against Iran today. Iran hasn't won a game in the Summer Olympics since 1948

Mohonky

imagine losing 0-3 and complaining about not being paid enough

im-373343
Rapinoe is an awesome player and on another level to so many in the womens game; but her incessant bleating in the face of the fact she actuallu makes more per game than her male counterparts is grating.

Watching Aus vs US now

Simone Biles fucked up and pulled out of the team finals. Wrong jump and badly executed. Will cost Team America the gold, and the way the contest goes they might lose the bronze too.

reksveks

Simone Biles fucked up and pulled out of the team finals. Wrong jump and badly executed. Will cost Team America the gold, and the way the contest goes they might lose the bronze too.
Ain't losing the bronze, the substitute is doing pretty well.

Sorry, might have jynxed it into the floor routine

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I didnt see what happened to Biles as I just logged into work but ESPN says she missed a twirl and left due to medical reasons.

I did see her in the prelim qualifying and she totally fucked up the floor even jumping out of bounds, but USA was still second best so I guess that mistake wasnt big.

Rapinoe is an awesome player and on another level to so many in the womens game; but her incessant bleating in the face of the fact she actuallu makes more per game than her male counterparts is grating.

Watching Aus vs US now
Not to mention her completely immature attitude. This clip:

Really sums her up for me. There is a longer version where she goes on about deserving everything, but I can’t find it. She just strikes me as a very entitled, ungrateful person. Like a spoiled 8 year old who needed a parent to teach them some humility and grace but they never did.

She’s a fantastic female soccer player. But she’s not a great person. She’s an arrogant, self-aggrandizing jerk who used her elevated platform only to elevate herself while at the same time pretending she was doing it for others.

I didnt see what happened to Biles as I just logged into work but ESPN says she missed a twirl and left due to medical reasons.

I did see her in the prelim qualifying and she totally fucked up the floor even jumping out of bounds, but USA was still second best so I guess that mistake wasnt big.
She’s been slipping up in very uncharacteristic ways. I heard her interview where she talked about getting older and the difference between these olympics and the last ones. How more things hurt and her recovery time wasn’t as good. Seemed like a bit of a red flag. Apparently the said on the broadcast it was “mental health” reasons, but then announced it was “medical reasons”. Her leg was taped up, so I guess it could be an injury. There has been a lot of pressure put on her.

Top Bottom