• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021... I mean 2020 Thread

Raven117

There’s this fucking weird infatuation in America with failure. Maybe failure is the wrong word. Because this isn’t failure. It’s victimhood. She’s a victim of her own mental health now.

It’s like if Roberto Duran said “No Mas” against Sugar Ray Leonard, and instead of getting crushed for it, the media wrote articles about how brave it was for Duran to quit and how he’s the real winner.
I don't know about victim...regardless, she choked...that's what they used to call that. Its understandable, but its not something to be celebrated.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As someone said earlier, it would be hilarious if she's back for the individual event which is I think on Thursday.

Quit on the team, but when individual glory is on the line, I'm in.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
guys, she choked and bitched out. I'm sure she's got a giant ego who didn't want the haters to celebrate her failure on the main stage in front of the entire world, so she stepped out quietly. you think she hasn't trained her entire life for this moment and this isn't going to fuck her up mentally for the rest of her life? let's move on, no need to kick a dead horse.

of course her fans are going to spin this in the best possible light; so brave, so daring, etc all this garbage is just giving thanks and offering their support for all the joy and entertainment she gave them...that's fine

she lost, Osaka lost; there is no glory to be found in the failures of others. move on
I agree. My post is more around the celebration of non-winners. It takes away credit from everybody else who has the mental resilience to deal with the pressure.

The idea that quitting was brave is such fucking bullshit. What is brave is knowing you don’t have your best stuff and putting it all on the line anyway. Knowing your might not win, but giving it whatever you have to try. Quitting is the opposite of brave. It’s cowardly. By definition. The idea anyone with any credibility is calling this brave is completely upside down.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well, part of me wants all the supportive stuff to continue to get her back to work earning those medals, we can slam her after the Olympics.

Still, it ain't a good look if she choked. Maybe we shouldn't be talking about her so much. We have some awesome swimmer, surfers, and fencers to discuss.

Raven117

I agree. My post is more around the celebration of non-winners. It takes away credit from everybody else who has the mental resilience to deal with the pressure.
To be fair, the pressure on her was particularly intense.....But still...all great athletes have that kind of pressure...most don't quit.

Im just saying, she deserves sympathy as a human being and still be credited as one of the best gymnasts ever...But choking will be a blemish on her record. Choking is not something to celebrate. No matter if its framed as "mental health."

Raven117

We have some awesome swimmer, surfers, and fencers to discuss.
Hell yeah we do. Lee Kiefer crushed it!
Video of the first US Women's Gold in fencing. (And first American, man or women to take Gold in this event... and beating a Russian to do it.....So cool).

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
To be fair, the pressure on her was particularly intense.....But still...all great athletes have that kind of pressure...most don't quit.

Im just saying, she deserves sympathy as a human being and still be credited as one of the best gymnasts ever...But choking will be a blemish on her record. Choking is not something to celebrate. No matter if its framed as "mental health."
I do agree that perhaps she received more pressure than other athletes going into these olympics. Nevertheless, the same narrative that celebrates Biles for prioritizing her mental health should also acknowledge that they created the pressure monster that eventually defeated Biles.

The media cannot have their cake and eat it to, but oh they fucking will as always.

Last edited:

Raven117

I do agree that perhaps she received more pressure than other athletes going into these olympics. Nevertheless, the same narrative that celebrates Biles for prioritizing her mental health should also acknowledge that they created the pressure monster that eventually defeated Biles.

The media cannot have their cake and eat it to, but oh they fucking will as always.
You aren't wrong.

This wasn't choking. Choking is going out there and fucking up every routine because your nerves got to you, but you keep going out there for the next one because you have self pride. That's choking, and it happens. Nerves can get to nearly anyone. This isn't even comparable, it's literally quitting. Choking isn't even in the same zip code. Imagine the most ridiculed sporting choke, and then imagine if they quit instead. It's pathetic.

Part of the problem too is that these people think that they are intrinsically valuable, intrinsically famous. They take their position for granted, like it is just how things are, forgetting that the only reason anyone even knows their name is because they compete as an athlete. If they don't compete, they don't eat. These first few might be able to survive being professional victims with their sponsorships patting them on the back, but the gravy train won't last very long when everyone is doing it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It was reported as a "medical issue." She wasn't injured? She just quit because she was making mistakes in her routines? Beyond pathetic.
There was confusion. I was wasnt sure either because the first ESPN article that came out this morning said it was a medical issue as their was speculation right away she messed up a twist move due to a physical issue. But after words, its was a mental health pull out.

You can even see by the URL it was first a medical description. But the link on the home was changed to Mental Health.

oQuCBk7.jpg

Last edited:

Amory

Tbh Biles quitting is very lame but it's whatever. The Olympics only matters because sometimes underdogs win. It's the insane amount of support and praise from the loony left that really pisses me off. It's more than if she'd done great and won.

I just can't empathize with the kind of person who rushed to Twitter to gush about the importance of prioritizing mental health. It's so weird and comes off more as trying to stay ahead of the PC spin cycle than actually caring about her mental state

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I really don't see the issue. She did what she thought was right for herself rather than risk messing things up for the team. All while resisting overwhelming pressure. That to me is strength. Not weakness.

But everyone is going to see this differently I guess. It definitely sucks though. I was looking forward to see her win gold.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That would be the American thing to do
Cant wait to see what happens. Sick leave, stress leave, mental health leave are deep rooted issues that take time to sort out.

Or maybe Biles will be the innovator of 48hr Mental Health.

Work for two days, off for two days, work for two days, off for two days........

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Look at these messes in cycling.

IZU, Japan -- Officials at Fuji International Speedway apologized to the Dutch team after world time trial champion Anna van der Breggen was pulled from her bike by security during a recon of the Olympic course for Wednesday's race against the clock.

The guard apparently did not know that van der Breggen was a competing athlete. She wound up falling in the incident -- she was not hurt and will still compete -- and video showed the Dutch riders surrounding an official's car at the track.

Kyosuke Takei, the coach of Japanese rider Eri Yonamine, said in a tweet: "Everything stopped due to a mistake by the organizer. And in the turmoil with the guards, Anna was threatened and overturned."

In another tweet, Takei wrote: "It was a big mess today time trial test run I was very sad. The organizer has too little respect for the riders. I know everyone is working hard in their own place. It was a terrible mess I haven't seen these days."

Tokyo officials have been criticized for their work at several cycling venues.

On Monday, former BMX world champion Niek Kimmann collided at full speed with a race steward who had wandered onto the course during a training run. Both of them went down in a heap and Kimmann, one of the favorites to win a medal when competition takes place later this week, said that he hurt his knee in the impact.

"So this is what happened today," Kimmann wrote on social media in a post that included video. "Hit an official that wanted to cross the second straight. Hope the official is OK. My knee is sore, but will do my best to be ready for Thursday!"

Organizers have struggled with the cycling program since the moment the Olympics were awarded to Tokyo.

First, there were plans for a temporary velodrome to be built in the Japanese capital, allowing the biggest portion of the cycling program to be held in the heart of the Olympics. But the plan was scrapped in an effort to curb spending. The program that begins next week was moved two hours southwest of Tokyo to an existing track in the remote city of Izu.

That is also where mountain bike racing was contested the past two days and just south of Fuji International Speedway, where the road races and time trials were to be contested. The long distance to all of those facilities from Tokyo has caused headaches for team officials and media, who must use only Olympic-approved transportation during a 14-day soft quarantine but were unaware that there would be extremely limited bus service each day.

As a result, only a couple of reporters from the normally huge contingent of British media that typically follows its powerhouse cycling program were able to cover Tom Pidcock winning his country's first mountain bike gold medal.

In the women's road race, the long-standing policy of Olympic organizers to preclude teams from using race radios caused the Dutch team to be unaware of the situation on the road and potentially cost them a gold medal.

Winner Anna Kiesenhofer of Austria was still ahead of the peloton after an early breakway, but van der Breggen and her teammates thought all the riders had returned to the main group. So when teammate Annemiek van Vleuten, who like van der Breggen will also contest the time trial, broke away and crossed the finish line alone, she thought she had won the race.

"The only information we had was from the car or from a motorcycle, which passed by every 10 minutes or so. I was told that Anna Plichta was up front, so when I caught up with her, I thought we were in the lead," van der Breggen said. "The worst part about it is that it's because of the (lack of) information."

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
She's been on centre stage scooping up endless medals at the last Olympics and at various global tournaments. But Olympics 2020 is much different?

Personally, I think she messed up and is a quitter.

So she's not entirely focused and if she continued, she could have hurt herself seriously or cost the team their placement... You'd rather her injure herself? Or get killed?

Frankly, I'm glad she took herself out of the game ... I think she knows herself better than any of us do.

She's taking care of herself and her mental health. Why is this a problem? How is she a quitter?

Edit: the vault, uneven bars... Even the floor exercise. If your mind isn't 100% committed, you can face serious injury, paralysis or even death.

Like I said, I'd rather her quit than hurt herself or the team.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

I don't understand why it always has to be one extreme or another. Why can't this be neither brave nor cowardly? Why can't this just be a personal decision that she made and leave it at that?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I don't understand why it always has to be one extreme or another. Why can't this be neither brave nor cowardly? Why can't this just be a personal decision that she made and leave it at that?
Because it's not that simple.

If this was just some random Olympian it could be that simple, but it's not. So it isn't. It's one of the US's top athletes. So for her to do what she did knowing full well all the eyes were on her is a big deal no matter which side of the fence you fall on. It can be anything but nothing given who it is and the position she is in.

Last edited:

Raven117

That’s the spin…. That she could have been severely injured if not 100 percent in it. That is I’m sure true…. But that’s not the point. People are saying “she could have died” to try and shut down any conversation about how she did in fact fail.

Every one of those other competitors were facing the same thing. The same vault. She as an athlete, as the best gymnast in the world…. Failed to get her head in the game. She may have made the right choice, but the question is why was she not 100 percent ready? Everyone else was.

I do hope there is more support for these olympians dealing with the immense perssure that is put on them.

But her chocking and cracking under pressure (even if understandable) is not something to be celebrated. It’s a problem to be addressed by the US olympics committee (and the media should take a long look at the monster of pressure they thrust on her).

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
That’s the spin…. That she could have been severely injured if not 100 percent in it. That is I’m sure true…. But that’s not the point. People are saying “she could have died” to try and shut down any conversation about how she did in fact fail.

Every one of those other competitors were facing the same thing. The same vault. She as an athlete, as the best gymnast in the world…. Failed to get her head in the game. She may have made the right choice, but the question is why was she not 100 percent ready? Everyone else was.

I do hope there is more support for these olympians dealing with the immense perssure that is put on them.

But her chocking and cracking under pressure (even if understandable) is not something to be celebrated. It’s a problem to be addressed by the US olympics committee (and the media should take a long look at the monster of pressure they thrust on her).

I'm not celebrating her quitting. I just understand it. Even the best succumb to pressure and right now she's the best gymnast in the country, if not the world.

AmuroChan

Because it's not that simple.

If this was just some random Olympian it could be that simple, but it's not. So it isn't. It's one of the US's top athletes. So for her to do what she did knowing full well all the eyes were on her is a big deal no matter which side of the fence you fall on. It can be anything but nothing given who it is and the position she is in.

I'm not saying it has to be nothing and ignored. I'm saying the reaction doesn't have to be so extreme. On one side you have people saying she could have died. On the other she's somehow betraying her country. It's ridiculous. She's not the first well-known athlete to take herself out of an important competition, and she won't be the last.

So she's not entirely focused and if she continued, she could have hurt herself seriously or cost the team their placement... You'd rather her injure herself? Or get killed?

Frankly, I'm glad she took herself out of the game ... I think she knows herself better than any of us do.

She's taking care of herself and her mental health. Why is this a problem? How is she a quitter?

Edit: the vault, uneven bars... Even the floor exercise. If your mind isn't 100% committed, you can face serious injury, paralysis or even death.

Like I said, I'd rather her quit than hurt herself or the team.
Give me a break. No one was dying. You’re being dramatic to avoid the fact she’s a quitter. She faced a little adversity for the first time in a really long time, and she quit. This is a fact. Pretending she was in some kind of mortal danger is just you being a drama queen. We don’t need to make excuses. She’s admitting she quit because the pressure got to her.

There is no other context in high level athletic competition where this would be acceptable behavior. How would people talk about Tom Brady if he threw 2 picks in the first quarter of the Super Bowl, then refused to come out for the second quarter? What about if Lebron missed his first 5 shots then took himself out of the NBA finals? That’s what we are talking about here. She came out, things didn’t go well and she pulled herself.

She wilted under the pressure. That doesn’t make her anything more or less than a quitter. She was faced with a challenging situation and she shrank from the moment. That’s not commendable. It’s understandable, but not anything to cheer or admire.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Give me a break. No one was dying. You’re being dramatic to avoid the fact she’s a quitter. She faced a little adversity for the first time in a really long time, and she quit. This is a fact. Pretending she was in some kind of mortal danger is just you being a drama queen. We don’t need to make excuses. She’s admitting she quit because the pressure got to her.

There is no other context in high level athletic competition where this would be acceptable behavior. How would people talk about Tom Brady if he threw 2 picks in the first quarter of the Super Bowl, then refused to come out for the second quarter? What about if Lebron missed his first 5 shots then took himself out of the NBA finals? That’s what we are talking about here. She came out, things didn’t go well and she pulled herself.

She wilted under the pressure. That doesn’t make her anything more or less than a quitter. She was faced with a challenging situation and she shrank from the moment. That’s not commendable. It’s understandable, but not anything to cheer or admire.

Who said I was cheering or admiring? Her? Yes. Her choosing to leave? No.

And like you said... It's understandable. Don't know what is going through her mind but when you're THAT good an athlete, the pressure or whatever can fell the best of them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Agreed.

And even worse. It's a team event. And she is supposed to be the veteran leader and best gymnast. And she bailed on her teammates.

Now if you want to see perseverance, the womens Nigeria basketball team gave the US team a good fight. They still lost by about 10 pts. They came out strong and were winning then tanked it losing by 22 (I think that was the bottom of the barrel). At one point the US went on a (get this) 23-0 run.

In the fourth quarter they chipped away and ended up losing very respectfully by 10 I think, when last game they played USA blew them out. They got the lead down to single digits but ran out of gas and time. And its not like the US eased up and let them chip down knowing they'd win. Both teams were trying hard.

You could tell the team just doesn't have the talent or playcalling structure (they have a very unorganized run the fuck wherever they want and pray one of their hail mary bricks goes in strategy!), but they fought hard and came back.

The commentators commended them all game at how hard they play and never quit no matter who they play.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Read some bullshit article about Japan 'lying' about their weather before the olympics.

I reckon if you asked the pacific north west if it was going to have a 'heat dome' and forest fires this year they would have said no, too

I live here, have for years now, this current time is traditionally the hot summer between end-of-spring Tsuyu wet season and late-august typhoon season. They scheduled the olympics to occur smack dab in the middle of their rain-free, super sunny, hot months. Any athlete should have known they were in for humidity, and the typhoon is a freak event - something that'll become more common, for sure.

--

Lovely to see all the Japanese athletes elevating and getting gold, I have a theory that the 'home field advantage' has been exacerbated by COVID... other competitors have to contend with interrupted training schedules as well as a new climate/etc. But there are some legit great achivements, my pick being Mima 'murdereyes' Ito and her male partner with the geeky specs beating the untouchable Chinese in the mixed doubles table tennis final from 0-2 games down.

I hear the chinese nickname her 'devil'

aflo_95093858.jpg

--

In other news it turns out Skateboarding is a apparently sport for 13 year olds, being a 40 yr old skateboarder is now comprable to having a polly pocket :'P And Typhoons are good news for Surfboarders.. kami no kaze indeed

Who said I was cheering or admiring? Her? Yes. Her choosing to leave? No.

And like you said... It's understandable. Don't know what is going through her mind but when you're THAT good an athlete, the pressure or whatever can fell the best of them.
I’m referring to this:
She’s a quitter because she quit on herself and the team. It’s understandable but it’s still a failure. And when her teammates really were counting on her both as a leader and the star of the team. Again, we would excoriate pretty much any other athlete who did this.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Watching volleyball for the men US vs TUNISIA, in the 4th set one US commentator told the other US commentator that he heard they threw their Olympic match in the 80s. You could hear the tone of the commentary change and say “I was there I played the worst match of my life and we didn’t throw it”. Other guy goes, “that is what they say”. Accused commentator “it isn’t true”. Dead silence for about a minute after. 😀

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Imagine if Tom Brady or Micheal Jordan did this.
Some people thrive off of pressure, some collapse. I don’t blame hate or feel bad because biles quit, but I do think the current generation of athletes lacks some mental toughness.
Everyone gets a trophy mentality.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I understand why she backed out, and won't condemn her for it. She choked plain and simple. Sucks but it happens. Everyone has bad moments.

But I'm also not going to praise her or say this was a heroic thing to do.

TylerD

It's disappointing that Biles withdrew but if she wasn't in it, she wasn't in it. That's only for her to know because look at the fucking history of success that she has had previously in pressured situations. I read that she said she "got lost" in mid-air on the vault and ended up doing 1.5 rotations instead of the 2.5. Seems pretty spooky to me. Would it have been better for her to continue to compete and maybe continue to have problems in more events and maybe cost her team a medal altogether?

It's not heroic or cowardly but it took a ton of guts to do that knowing how so many would view the decision negatively.

Raven117

I'm not celebrating her quitting. I just understand it. Even the best succumb to pressure and right now she's the best gymnast in the country, if not the world.
Of course anyone with half a brain can understand it. It’s tragic really how much pressure is out on these young athletes.

You are wrong about truly the best best succumbing to pressure though… that’s when heroes are made. Legends. And why sports are so compelling to begin with. (See Kerri strugs)

its not something to celebrate. It’s something the us olympic committee needs to help with and give support to. Address the problem

Last edited:

Porcile

Trying to figure out what Japan won to go right to the top of the medal table.

As far as I can remember, the Asian countries usually do well at the beginning of the Olympics, after that, the erm physical limitations of their athletes hold them back somewhat. Also home advantage etc.

Porcile

Read some bullshit article about Japan 'lying' about their weather before the olympics.

I reckon if you asked the pacific north west if it was going to have a 'heat dome' and forest fires this year they would have said no, too

I live here, have for years now, this current time is traditionally the hot summer between end-of-spring Tsuyu wet season and late-august typhoon season. They scheduled the olympics to occur smack dab in the middle of their rain-free, super sunny, hot months. Any athlete should have known they were in for humidity, and the typhoon is a freak event - something that'll become more common, for sure.

--

I am pretty sure Japan did exaggerate the "pleasantness" of summer in Tokyo lol. Even if you are prepared, nothing really prepares you for Asia humidity, especially if you are coming from Europe. It also isn't really the athletes fault that their events are scheduled at the hottest time of day.

reksveks

I am pretty sure Japan did exaggerate the "pleasantness" of summer in Tokyo lol. Even if you are prepared, nothing really prepares you for Asia humidity, especially if you are coming from Europe. It also isn't really the athletes fault that their events are scheduled at the hottest time of day.
One of British gold medalist apparently trained in a heated tent in his garden.

As far as I can remember, the Asian countries usually do well at the beginning of the Olympics, after that, the erm physical limitations of their athletes hold them back somewhat. Also home advantage etc.
Yeah, I was just wondering what events. I keep waking up too late.

Then you know nothing about sports.

Since they don't twirl around in the air and risk a major injury, they'd get deserved shit.

Don't get me wrong I don't think she's a hero for this. It's prudent decision that deserves everybody's respect. There is a reason they have backup gymnast for these things.
You’re kidding right? Do you understand American football? For as dangerous as women’s gymnastics is in theory, it’s not American football. Guys have actually been paralyzed during games. Arms and legs are broken fairly routinely. Not to mention the brain damage. So no, whatever you think of Biles, her sport is not more dangerous than football and her quitting is not somehow more understandable than Tom Brady quitting in the middle of a game because he didn’t want to play anymore. Any shit you think Brady would “deserve” would also easily apply to Biles.

INC

So since this bird pulled out, shouldn't there be a penalty for her, I mean she's stopped another athlete competing? She's not the only one who's trained for 5 years only not to be picked. Not just about her.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
I had a vague idea how it works but I looked it up.

In team competition you have a team of 4. There are 4 apparatuses for women. Floor, vault, uneven bars, balance beam. 3 have to perfom on each apparatus and all the scores are added together. So 4x3=12 scores total.

Biles did the vault and got a lowish score so she kind of just quit and the others had to perform the other events not expecting to. They lost by 3 points and Jordan Chiles got a terrible score on floor I think she wasn't expecting to perform. Anyways if Biles had done her floor routine it would have been really close.

VMOnxQ7.jpg

KielCasto

How unfortunate Biles's withdrawal is. I don't think it's worth celebrating nor shaming although I find it a bit of a head-scratcher. I can't stop myself from comparing her situation with an athlete from my country who didn't do well in his signature event but will continue competing.

I had a vague idea how it works but I looked it up.

In team competition you have a team of 4. There are 4 apparatuses for women. Floor, vault, uneven bars, balance beam. 3 have to perfom on each apparatus and all the scores are added together. So 4x3=12 scores total.

Biles did the vault and got a lowish score so she kind of just quit and the others had to perform the other events not expecting to. They lost by 3 points and Jordan Chiles got a terrible score on floor I think she wasn't expecting to perform. Anyways if Biles had done her floor routine it would have been really close.

VMOnxQ7.jpg
It’s pretty obvious she completely cost her teammates a gold medal. The other girls had to try and compete with all that uncertainty. What about their mental state? Some of them had to compete in events they weren’t really prepared for going in. Obviously if there’s an injury and she can’t compete that is different. But to choose to quit and put her teammates in that position is pathetic. Then you have people saying she quit for the team. It’s just sad what people will make excuses for.

Top Bottom