• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Cruise’s ‘Top Gun’ Sequel Gets July 2019 Release Date

Link.

Paramount Studios has given Tom Cruise’s “Top Gun” sequel a July 12, 2019, release date.

Variety reported on May 24 that Joseph Kosinski — who directed Cruise in “Oblivion” — was the frontrunner to direct “Top Gun 2” for Paramount and Skydance Pictures.

Skydance CEO David Ellison and Jerry Bruckheimer, who produced the 1986 original, will produce with Cruise. This latest project will be set in a world of drone technology and fifth generation fighters and explore the end of an era of dogfighting.

Cruise said recently that the title would be “Top Gun: Maverick.”

The movie is the first title to land on the July 12, 2019, release date. It will open a week after Sony’s “Spider-Man: Homecoming” sequel.

The original film, directed by the late Tony Scott and set at the Navy’s Fighter Weapons School at Miramar Naval Air Station in San Diego, was a massive hit with more than $350 million in worldwide grosses. Val Kilmer, Kelly McGillis, Tom Skeritt and Anthony Edwards also starred in the original and Kilmer has said he’d like to return for the sequel in the role of Tom “Iceman” Kazanski.

Take me to the danger zone if old.

wonder what kinda fighter they're gonna use this time around. and had Val Kilmer get in shape lately? otherwise his chance of starting in this might not be too high.

Busty

Banned
Even as a HUGE Tom Cruise fan I can tell you now I won't be going to see this.

Everything about this feels like Cruise trying to hang onto his leading man status beyond the Mission Impossible films.

He should just be doing smaller things like American Made as he gets older with larger franchise films dotted around them. This feels like a misstep. Who is the audience for this? the original has a kitsch, 80's nostalgia going for it the sequel won't.

This has disaster written all over it.

jchap

He will be training people how to fly predators from a cubicle in Maryland

Set to a new Kenny logging song of course

Chumley

Banned
Joseph Kosinski is a very very odd choice.

It would be really sad to see him become a hired gun director, that dude has legit visual style and atmospheric chops.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm ready to ride the roadway to the hazard area.

sflufan

Banned
Sittin' at the keyboard
Sippin' on a medium latte
Log-on screen waitin'
Beggin' for that secure password

Baaaaaandwidth to the danger drone
Keystoke entry to the danger drone

Kinyou

JCHandsom

The need for speed.

giphy.gif

120v

betting anything either gosling or gyllenhaal is attached. to "pass it on" or whatever

could be decent seeing old man maverick but it's going to be zzzzzz

Xero

Thought it was funny in the original for how good maverick was, he got in 1 combat engagement then quit to become an instructor.

I'm down. Bring back John McTiernan and I will be there day 1.

Joseph Kosinski seems too stylistic for me.

Tony Scott directed Top Gun, and he's sadly no longer with us.

Sure, I'll see a Kosinski-directed sequel. Surprised Cruise didn't wait out MI6 or Skydance to put McQuarrie on it.

Even as a HUGE Tom Cruise fan I can tell you now I won't be going to see this.

Everything about this feels like Cruise trying to hang onto his leading man status beyond the Mission Impossible films.

He should just be doing smaller things like American Made as he gets older with larger franchise films dotted around them. This feels like a misstep. Who is the audience for this? the original has a kitsch, 80's nostalgia going for it the sequel won't.

This has disaster written all over it.

It is an odd choice. Cruise has the clout to star in smaller movies with top notch talent for the rest of his career. Instead, he keeps chasing that leading man, action persona. Eventually, he's got to come to grips with the fact that he's an older actor and take some age appropriate roles. Or, I don't know, pull a McConaughey and chase an Oscar.

Instro

It is an odd choice. Cruise has the clout to star in smaller movies with top notch talent for the rest of his career. Instead, he keeps chasing that leading man, action persona. Eventually, he's got to come to grips with the fact that he's an older actor and take some age appropriate roles. Or, I don't know, pull a McConaughey and chase an Oscar.

He probably enjoys the thrills of big action, doing his own stunts, etc. If Liam Neeson can be an action star in his 60s, Tom still has some time left to do this stuff.

Top Bottom