• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Hardy joins Batman 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEJ

Furret said:
but you can't have Catwoman in the film because she wouldn't fit.

I have never seen anyone say that catwoman wouldn't fit. And why wouldn't she fit? She's not supernatural, she's just an athletic woman who dresses in a skintight outfit and steals things.

Dead

well not really...yet
If Catwoman doesn't fit Nolan's movies, than neither does Batman... They're both "normal" people in costumes...

The supernatural stuff was exclusive for the Burton movie as far as Im aware

TEJ

Dead said:
If Catwoman doesn't fit Nolan's movies, than neither does Batman... They're both "normal" people in costumes...

The supernatural stuff was exclusive for the Burton movie as far as Im aware

The only supernatural thing about his movies that I remember is when Selina Kyle is brought back to life via being licked by dozens of cats.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
hardy_riddler1-283x400.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
open_mouth_ said:
So mysterious, he needs TWO masks!

But are why people still debating who the Riddler will be?

That dude from TDK was named Mr. Reese... Mysteries! Oh my god!!!

TEJ

Dead said:
So mysterious, he needs TWO masks!

But are why people still debating who the Riddler will be?

That dude from TDK was named Mr. Reese... Mysteries! Oh my god!!!

Wait, are you talking about the guy who knew that bruce was batman?

!!!

p01ar

GameTrailers
I don't think that Killer Croc would be that big of a stretch. Why not make him a serial killer with that murders his victims and then eats them? They can even have him sharpen his teeth into points.

Furret

Banned
TEJ said:
I have never seen anyone say that catwoman wouldn't fit. And why wouldn't she fit? She's not supernatural, she's just an athletic woman who dresses in a skintight outfit and steals things.

People are constantly saying this and I often call them out on it, but never get any sensible explanation for their comments, for example.

It seems to me most Nolan fans just want the films to be Heat in silly costumes and they're so insecure in their own sense of what does or doesn't appear to be mature content that they don't want anything even slightly fantastical.

Which of course defeats the whole point of making a Batman film.

Furret said:
It seems to me most Nolan fans just want the films to be Heat in silly costumes and they're so insecure in their own sense of what does or doesn't appear to be mature content that they don't want anything even slightly fantastical.

That's quite the
misguided
conclusion you have come to.

AkuMifune

Banned
I love how everyone has already decided what is and isn't possible in the "nolanverse" based on like 4 films.

Croc would be great. We need a villain that can kick the shit out of Batman.

m3k

i love how this thread is made instead of batman hype 3 thread

its like that thread is only for unconfirmed conjecture and this is actually confirmed :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
m3k said:
i love how this thread is made instead of batman hype 3 thread

its like that thread is only for unconfirmed conjecture and this is actually confirmed :lol
That's what news threads are made for, I guess: discussing news :p

AkuMifune said:
I love how everyone has already decided what is and isn't possible in the "nolanverse" based on like 4 films.

That is why he must be Bane. Please.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Ellen Page portraying Robin as a girl :O i could see that, so long as she doesnt do her juno dialogue on it.

MjFrancis

WrikaWrek said:
With Batman running from the Police it would certainly make sense to bring Bane into the picture.
1.Batman running from the police at the end of second movie.
2. ???
3. ???
4. Bane appears in third movie.

As much as I would like to see a good take on Bane in the third Christopher Nolan Batman flick, I'm not following you here. :lol

Monocle said:
Not a hint of the supernatural has ever appeared in Nolan's universe, and currently there is no reason to expect it will feature in the third film. It's a good thing, too. Once the rules of a fictional world are established, arbitrary foreign elements that contradict those rules cheat the audience by undermining the logical foundation of the story, and by extension, everything that relies on it.
That's what I've enjoyed about the Nolan films. They have a semi-realistic take on things; all we have to accept is that a playboy millionaire moonlights as a crime-fighter in a costume. Technically possible though infinitely improbable. They could probably get away with a few supernatural additions, but the potential to break this level of suspension of disbelief is probably something Nolan won't do. He's kept his distance from any supernatural aspect of the Batman mythos in a very deliberate manner.

That's why if we ever saw Killer Croc in a Nolan film, it would likely be closer to his appearance in The Joker graphic novel than anything else.

And, I'll be happy to see Hardy in another Nolan film. Loved him in Bronson, even if I didn't like that movie.

MjFrancis said:
1.Batman running from the police at the end of second movie.
2. ???
3. ???
4. Bane appears in third movie.

As much as I would like to see a good take on Bane in the third Christopher Nolan Batman flick, I'm not following you here. :lol

well, part of how Bane broke Batman was by making him exhausted before making his move. Having police, mobsters, and other crazies after Batman is a lot of pressure.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I doubt Nolan is ever going to have Killer Croc, Bane, or any of the other steroidal monsters from the comics. I don't know how people think those characters would work in the Nolanverse the way they do in the comic books. If he went anywhere near them he would have to totally re-imagine them, not just twist them a little which is what he's done with his villains so far. Besides, this will be his final Batman film and the end to this Batman story, the audience will expect him to close out the films with some big guns like Riddler and Catwoman, not some hideous creatures that the average viewer has no attachment to.

MjFrancis

That actually fits quite nicely, thanks for filling in the blanks for me Tom Hardy Avatar Gaffer. :D

Now, if Tom Hardy was to play Bane, he would have to start bulking yesterday. He was impressive in Bronson, but it seemed like he had his shoulders shrugged and tensed the entire movie to show off his traps. A good 20 - 30 pounds of lean dry muscle would make him an impressive baddie. Camera angles could fix the rest, lol.

Stealth edit: Riddler and Catwoman do seem like obvious additions in this movie. Time will tell.

jett

D-Member
Catwoman, Killer Croc, Robin...............yeah people I doubt any of those are happening. Did I see someone asking for Clayface? :lol

KevinCow

Banned
AkuMifune said:

Four films?

...Did I miss two of them?

Furret

Banned
jett said:
Catwoman, Killer Croc, Robin...............yeah people I doubt any of those are happening. Did I see someone asking for Clayface? :lol

Here it is again, what an Earth do you people have against Catwoman? It's completely inexplicable when it always comes from those demanding ultra realism.

Also, to the guy that said Nolan had only twisted the villains he'd already used a little: Ra's al Ghul was changed almost completely out of recognition from all his other incarnations.

Killer Croc could be portrayed as a circus freak with eczema and he would still be far more faithful to the comics.

.GqueB.

Banned
Furret said:
I think it's the height of stupidity to pretend any of it makes a lick of sense, but why should it? It's a superhero film.

Having to castrate the Batman mythos just to placate joyless twenty-somethings desperate to pretend that any of it is in the least bit plausible is profoundly depressing.
Its not so much that its a superhero movie but the type of superhero movie that Nolan has decided to make. This is what people are trying to explain to you.

Consider for a moment Kick ass. That movie was extremely grounded in reality. Moreso than the Batman films. If at the end of that film, someone just off and started flying or something mystical had happened, it wouldnt fit. It would seem so far out of left field especially if the writers chose not to even hint at it in the course of the story.

Also see: LOST

Furret said:
People are constantly saying this and I often call them out on it, but never get any sensible explanation for their comments, for example.

Every other movie having to do with this character has been fantastical for the most part. Whats so wrong with having this one series of movies be grounded in reality and relate able?

vooglie

Furret said:
And that's why I find the Nolan films to be silly, po-faced and often fairly dull.

The characters in the film are psychologically impossible, the ones left out are physically impossible.

It doesn't matter which is which (some are both) they're both... impossible.

Frankly I'd rather have both and have a fully entertaining film

Better that than pander to the sort of unimaginative nerd that thinks a man dressed (badly) as a bat talking the way Bale does to the police is "grounded in reality", but you can't have Catwoman in the film because she wouldn't fit.

Go Watch Tim Burton or some shit then.

The problem with Catwoman for me is that she's just a thief. I'm not saying it can't work, but I just can't see the Batman from the past two films really care about that. They can tie it into the mob or something else, but in the end, this is a guying punching out drug dealers, the mob, psychopaths, and an organization of secret ninja that were trying to destroy Gotham.

Again, they can change the character as other characters were, but there are better characters out there unless they just want to introduce a new love interest for Bruce. Even then, there are better characters like Talia al Ghul. If they really want to make Bruce pressured in the third movie, she is a character may still have connections with the League Of Shadows, plus she could also know that Bruce is Batman.

MjFrancis

.GqueB. said:
Consider for a moment Kick ass. That movie was extremely grounded in reality. Moreso than the Batman films.
I'll temporarily derail this thread to say that Kick Ass messed this up big time. They had me captivated, then Big Daddy and Hit Girl came in with ridiculous superhuman reflexes and skills. It was stupid. Kick Ass established a mythos, that real people made horrible superheroes, and then it added two protagonists that break these rules tens times over and displayed more physical prowess than Christopher Nolan's Batman ever did.
What happens with Big Daddy doesn't change his superhuman Ninja status before that. Not to mention the real life jetpack and gatling gun.

It would have been the coolest movie in the world if I was a 13 year old boy, but it ended up being a passable way to spend two hours on a Sunday evening. Basically, I disagree that it stayed grounded in reality. :D
[/silly internet rant]

.GqueB. said:
Its not so much that its a superhero movie but the type of superhero movie that Nolan has decided to make. This is what people are trying to explain to you.

Consider for a moment Kick ass. That movie was extremely grounded in reality. Moreso than the Batman films. If at the end of that film, someone just off and started flying or something mystical had happened, it wouldnt fit. It would seem so far out of left field especially if the writers chose not to even hint at it in the course of the story.

SPOILERS.

MjFrancis said:
I'll temporarily derail this thread to say that Kick Ass messed this up big time. They had me captivated, then Big Daddy and Hit Girl came in with ridiculous superhuman reflexes and skills. It was stupid. Kick Ass established a mythos, that real people made horrible superheroes, and then it added two protagonists that break these rules tens times over and displayed more physical prowess than Christopher Nolan's Batman ever did.
What happens with Big Daddy doesn't change his superhuman Ninja status before that. Not to mention the real life jetpack and gatling gun.

It would have been the coolest movie in the world if I was a 13 year old boy, but it ended up being a passable way to spend two hours on a Sunday evening. Basically, I disagree that it stayed grounded in reality. :D
[/silly internet rant]

Holy cow, this is pretty much exactly what I was thinking throughout Kick Ass. I'm not alone!

And Catwoman may just be a thief, but if she's stealing big enough shit, Batman would get involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom