• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson on BF2042's troubled development and identidy. How DICE management were looking to CoD to change Battlefield's formula

Starfield

Edit: sorry for the typo. Its identity not idy

Basically suits at DICE looked at Modern Warfare 2019 and said "hmm operators sounds like a good idea, who needs classes?"
Then they invited only CoD streamers to their closed beta event, BF veterans were left out.

Beta build was from September 19, not July as DICE claims.

The reason they didnt show any footage was bc the build they have (and still do now) is so shitty and bugged that they didnt wanna show any footage of it.

yeah. I just cancelled my pre-order on steam. This game is going to be a mess on launch

Thanks for saving me money DICE management!

Last edited:

Starfield

All previous Battlefield game betas were hilarious broken.

And we all know how good BF1 and BF3 turned out in the end. We will have to wait for the release to see how the game is going to turn out.

The problem is that this time it isnt just a broken game but also fundamental changes in the gameplay (which cant be as easily fixed as bugs and glitches or performance issues)

Draugoth

Gold Member
The problem is that this time it isnt just a broken game but also fundamental changes in the gameplay (which cant be as easily fixed as bugs and glitches or performance issues)

Yes, i wasnt referring to the gameplay changes. But the technical issues can probably be fixed by the time the game releases.

On the gameplay aspects, i very much doubt they will be changing anything

Holy shit, which legend did this video!?

Crowbcat

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I was drawn to BF due to its differences from the CoD series. When I played the beta I felt like I was playing a worse version of Warzone with some BF elements sprinkled in so they could call it their own. Biggest issue is the things they removed on top of what I just mentioned come together to make the game feel like something I no longer can get behind as a long time BF fan.

I don't see this one having legs and EA will use its failure as an excuse to say the BF series is a failure when really people just want a updated BF3/4 game with new maps instead of this garbage chasing microtransaction money.

Urban

Tom Henderson leaked stuff about BF2042 multiple times over the past months. i'd say he knows abit more than we do
Thank you. Didn’t know that. Is it not always the same tho ? If EA gave the studios 6-12 months more they would all deliver a better product ?
i had fun with the beta but I’m not going to go Day1 ( which I never do on any game )

Zoanoid33

Portal mode will be the only saving grace of the game if it really does allow the community to fully customize their servers. My bet is it won't be available til Spring or Summer 2022 and I am also skeptical the Hazard Zone mode makes it in at launch.

Which would mean 2/3 of the advertised product won't be available at launch and the 1/3 you get will be a COD infused version of BF.

EA has no shame it is actually a joke at this point.

Hezekiah

Banned
Didn't they do this before - copy the CoD model?

Different core audiences though so it doesn't make sense. They pissed off their fanbase with BF1 and BFV, and now they risk doing it again. Not to mention the bugs.

Last edited:

A.Romero

They didn't have to do an open beta and they did. Anyone that jumps in can do it fully informed. The rest that decide to wait can get in in a few months and probably at a lower price. What's the problem?

If they kept all this under wraps and had a review embargo then yes, it would be releasing in bad faith.

Haven't play the beta but I don't get why people get all worked up about something that is pretty much tradition: a BF game riddled with bugs at launch. Just as Total Warhammer, people know what to expect (although the latter have been improving with recent releases).

I still think this will be the best sold BF in a while which, in turn, would validate all decisions they've made.

DICE needs to just go away. They haven't made a good game since BF4. We're looking at 5 bad games in a row. Whoever still works there are not the same ppl that made the classic BF games we all liked. They are these new ppl that made BF One and V...and the star wars games. These soul-less dumbed down reimaginings of what Battlefield is.

time to wake up and stop funding them

I’ve played every battlefield beta since they were available.....this one felt wrong and off. Even more off than BF4 beta i played on both the 360 and PS3. Even that somehow felt better shooting wise.

the shooting didn’t feel right and I’m really disappointed by this. I was really looking forward to this.

A.Romero

DICE needs to just go away. They haven't made a good game since BF4. We're looking at 5 bad games in a row. Whoever still works there are not the same ppl that made the classic BF games we all liked. They are these new ppl that made BF One and V...and the star wars games. These soul-less dumbed down reimaginings of what Battlefield is.

time to wake up and stop funding them

What am I missing?

BF4 - BF - BFV

Even assuming BF and BFV suck big time (they don't) I fail to see where are those 5 games in a row...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I sometimes casually play BFV and even BF1 and I swear that those games looks and plays better, than whatever that beta was. Glitches aside, especially gameplay felt bad. Like modern guns are different, but I doubt that much...

It feels like some B team did that.

Maybe because A team is doing a Mirrors Edge 3, right? Believe™

A.Romero

also let's not act like the Battlefront reboot was a failure (other than PR)

That's why I'm asking "What am I missing?"

Which one of those is the reboot and how does it amount to 5 bad games in a row?

They might not hit expectations but I don't see EA throwing money at something that is not giving them cash back.

It's been a while but even back in April-May I didn't experience trouble finding full servers to play MP at any time of the day. There are enough people interested in playing what they have done.

Disclaimer: I would have bought and played WW3 if it wasn't because it has really bad reviews in steam. It's still in my wishlist. I'll give a chance to any game as long as it has a topic I'm interested in and it hits what I deem a fair pricing point.

GHG

Maybe because A team is doing a Mirrors Edge 3, right? Believe™

Youtube GIF by Shane Dawson

Complistic

Yeah I'm going to pick this one up once I'm bored of Halo and they've actually completed it about a year from now for about $20.

What am I missing?

BF4 - BF - BFV

Even assuming BF and BFV suck big time (they don't) I fail to see where are those 5 games in a row...
1.) star wars battlefront. a cold hollow experience wrapped in a pretty Star Wars shell.

2.) BF 1. not terrible. and improved over time with some maps. But still not a GREAT game. And at launch it was dumbed down and boring

3.) star wars battlefront 2, somehow was even worse than the 2015 game at launch. And with a terrible user experience. Now its in a good state and u can certainly have a good time. Still missing the fun and spirit of the original titles however. And just like the recent battlefields is dumbed down compared to older games.

4.) BF V. the worst Battlefield i've played. Has some good maps, features etc.....but gameplay isn't good. Somehow not even as fun as BF 1 which wasn't a great game to begin with.

5.) BF 2042. Nothing i've seen leads me to believe this will be good at launch. Maybe 3 years down the road when its stable, they add tons of content and work on core gameplay it could have a chance

A.Romero

1.) star wars battlefront. a cold hollow experience wrapped in a pretty Star Wars shell.

2.) BF 1. not terrible. and improved over time with some maps. But still not a GREAT game. And at launch it was dumbed down and boring

3.) star wars battlefront 2, somehow was even worse than the 2015 game at launch. And with a terrible user experience. Now its in a good state and u can certainly have a good time. Still missing the fun and spirit of the original titles however. And just like the recent battlefields is dumbed down compared to older games.

4.) BF V. the worst Battlefield i've played. Has some good maps, features etc.....but gameplay isn't good. Somehow not even as fun as BF 1 which wasn't a great game to begin with.

5.) BF 2042. Nothing i've seen leads me to believe this will be good at launch. Maybe 3 years down the road when its stable, they add tons of content and work on core gameplay it could have a chance

Alright, understood.

Personally I haven't played Battlefront because I'm not really into Starwars and while the rest of the Battlefield games have had their issues, I've spent quite a few hours on them and they are still my favourite FPS franchise.

While it has changed greatly over time, I guess they still hit a spot somehow.

I haven't played a CoD game outside of the single player campaign ever. Other than BF the only other game I normally play is Squad with is a very different game to BF so I can see why my opinion is shortsighted. I might be easy to please.

Killer8

People forget DICE absolutely bungled BF4's launch. It was broken for months.

That's not meant to be a defense of 2042 (it's likely going to be dogshit months later, too, because its issues are deeply rooted in the game design itself).

It's just funny that people say "since BF4 DICE have sucked" when the rot was already setting in even with that release.

Lorianus

Neo Member
That Tom Henderson who said since may on twitter that its Battlefields year and CoD is a mess according to his sources?
Which way is it now?

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
If BF devs have been looking to cod for inspiration it doesn't look very good for Dice.
To improve BF they only need to go back to their roots from pre BF4 and bring back private servers. Pushing 128 player servers should also be happening, its battlefield ffs. Make it a battlefield.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just because it is written you can still make up your own damn mind. I like it a lot and see tons of potential despite a glitchy beta.

If you need validation for a reason to criticize or to have your eyes opened to a situation where you had little interest then I'd just stay away from it.

For me, this hits all the fun notes.

S0ULZB0URNE

Star Wars BF had rushed written all over it.

Star Wars BF2 was excellent.

BF1 was soso.

BFV was BF1 done right.

BF4 was terrible at launch and not good until the following year. But ended up amazing.

BF 2042 will likely have shit at launch similar (although not as bad) as BF4.

Fake

If you've played the beta you don't need an article to know they are going after CoD crowd and that the game is a mess. No bueno.

100% this. I played the beta all this weekend. Was surprise about how much BF looks like to MW.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
If this is true, DICE suits looking to CoD of all games on how to move forward with Battlefield, is all the reason I'll need for this to be the first BF game I didn't buy day one since....shit, I can't remember the last time that happened.

You really wonder why these idiots never learn.

Oh wait, there's plenty of "gamers" who buy this pile of shit regardless because "battlefield" and "it'll get better over time, battlefield is always work in progress".

Enjoy.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I loved BF1. Every BF youtuber hated it. Constant bitching and moaning. Several got banned by DICE due to how toxic it got. Three years later after a year of suffering through BFV, people came back to BF1 and realized just how incredible it was.

Incredible atmosphere. They nailed down what it felt like to be in a war zone better than any game before it. Almost matching saving private ryan at times. I remember crouching and struggling to get myself to get up because i had bullets whizzing past my head and it was so real, i would forget it was just a game and i should get moving.

I also loved the gunplay. No long range assault rifles masquerading as sniper rifles. You had to be up and close to take those people with SMGs. all the action was in front of you thanks to Operations game modes keeping everyone in front of each other at all times. No bullshit helicopter strafing and hovering runs. If you wanted to do a strafing run you needed a slow moving airplane. It was bloody and messy but it was bloody beautiful.

I have no idea what this game is trying to be. It's not cod. It's not warzone. It's not battlefield that i fell in love with in BF1. It feels like a game designed by people who dont play video games. I dont see how you can ship a game thats missing features from the last game. It makes no sense. why start over/ Just build upon the DLCs and all the quality of life changes you've added.

I am a 100% sure the BF1 was a happy accident. It's probably not the game they set out to make. It just worked because of the fact that everything from guns to tanks to planes was nerfed to fit the WW1 era and it gave us some of the best face to face battles lacking from a series that puts scale over fun every time.

What a disaster. EA should just kill this studio. They are clueless.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If BF devs have been looking to cod for inspiration it doesn't look very good for Dice.
To improve BF they only need to go back to their roots from pre BF4 and bring back private servers. Pushing 128 player servers should also be happening, its battlefield ffs. Make it a battlefield.
They always have. Same with other shooters. When I played Crysis 3 (first time ever playing a Crysis game) and in MP it had the exact same 3-5-7 killstreak as old ass COD4 I was like, "Wtf?" And even the same kind of perk.... Radar, some kind of artillery barrage and a 7 kill called in a futuristic gunship help you out.

Titanfall 2 felt COD-ish too. TF1 was a better game even if more barebones.

Game companies cant shake the sales COD gets, so many think if they get the right combo of "COD-ish + Our Game-ish" the average shooter fan will flock to their game as it's the best of both worlds.

Competing game makers got to get away from that strategy. I wouldnt be surprised if the average COD gamer just plays that shooter game or spends 95% of their shooter time playing that series. They probably dont give a shit if Titanfall 2 or BF is 90% COD. Gamers definitely didnt care about Crysis 3. If they want to play COD, they'll play COD.

There's enough of a shooter crowd for other franchises. Thats why all the Apex, Destiny, BR and F2P games have done great. BF sells a decent amount too.

But EA and DICE have their eyes always on COD. Aside from this year with a delayed 2042 (comes after COD), they always have to sell their game first by a a few weeks or a month. No other big shooter franchise chases this. Check out the dates Destiny, Apex, Overwatch, Fortnite, PUBG all came out. All over the place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom