• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson on BF2042's troubled development and identidy. How DICE management were looking to CoD to change Battlefield's formula

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
1.) star wars battlefront. a cold hollow experience wrapped in a pretty Star Wars shell.

2.) BF 1. not terrible. and improved over time with some maps. But still not a GREAT game. And at launch it was dumbed down and boring

3.) star wars battlefront 2, somehow was even worse than the 2015 game at launch. And with a terrible user experience. Now its in a good state and u can certainly have a good time. Still missing the fun and spirit of the original titles however. And just like the recent battlefields is dumbed down compared to older games.

4.) BF V. the worst Battlefield i've played. Has some good maps, features etc.....but gameplay isn't good. Somehow not even as fun as BF 1 which wasn't a great game to begin with.

5.) BF 2042. Nothing i've seen leads me to believe this will be good at launch. Maybe 3 years down the road when its stable, they add tons of content and work on core gameplay it could have a chance

Ill agree with Battlefront, that looked like a rush job and wasnt that great.

Mirrors Edge Catalyst didnt have the same charm as the first game, but it was still an excellent experience.

BF1s main problem was slow content drops, but the core game was actually pretty damn good, alot of people forget it was a good game because they got bored of the content. But go back in time and find any of your captures of the game way back when it was super active. Its not even nostalgia talking the game had brilliant atmosphere and the sound design was peak DICE. Remember how at the start of the match you had your "commander" hyping the whole army up as you rushed for A or whatever was closest.......then the squad leader GOGOGO being that whistle aww hell so good.
The ping of kills was so satisfying I really dont get why they got rid of it.
But again content was so scarce it didnt take long for most players to basically be stuck in a loop of ive got everything I need and play only like 2 or 3 matches and ive seen it all.....not enough Battlefield moments to keep me hooked.
I dont even know how many warbonds I had stockpiled in that game cuz I just never really spent them.

Battlefront II was legitimately a great game and i dont know how you say gameplay wasnt good.....its major fault was the whole mtx situation which was rectified but gameplay was absolutely amazing and funny enough its a better Battlefield game than what came after.

Battlefield V I honestly dont know what really went wrong with it, I was looking forward to it, they had some really cool ideas but they might have just missed the mark with what made Battlefield Battlefield.

BF 2042 is the most hype ive been for a game since BF3....even though I liked BF4 more overall it might have come too soon after 3 so I felt like it was an evolution.
The 2042 beta didnt fully sell me on the promise I dont think its completely dead in the water. A delay is pretty much out of the question at this point.....they will just have to work super hard to get the day one patch to fix a bunch of issues....and please for the love of god let us customize the HUD to be more reminiscent of the the BF4 or even BF1 HUD.

Dr.Morris79

You want a proper Battlefield this year (on cosoles), play this. Had a go last night and damn. This is what i'm talking about, this is the BF1942 update I was looking for.

the commander called in an airstrike 200 yards out from me, I actually shit myself, it was an awsome sight to behold

It's hard as hell but well worth investing in. I tried the battlefield beta, just zip line nonsense COD wannabe, utterly sad to see Battlefield go that way personally.

4H7OwbZ.jpg

Loke

Battlefield 3 was the last good Battlefield game IMO. Even though it had issues (mostly map related) and was a big step down from BF2 it was a lot of fun.

i played BF 2 for maybe 5 years. Played Bad Company 2 for 4 years. I played BF4 for at least 3.

i put down BF ONE after a month. I can barely stomach 1 match of BFV

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Fuck off people who says bf1 was a bad game , bf1 was absolutely amazing , if I remember right launched without issues , bf5 however wasn't launched in a good stage but at the end bf5 was a solid game

If you think BF1 launched "without issue" I suspect you might have rose tinted glasses in reguards to the entire affair of BF1.

The game was "Fun" compared to other shooters released at the time. However it was incredibly simplified to prior entries, and really lay the groundwork for BF5 to take the extra step into baby's first battlefield.

Last edited:

Starfield

You want a proper Battlefield this year (on cosoles), play this. Had a go last night and damn. This is what i'm talking about, this is the BF1942 update I was looking for.

the commander called in an airstrike 200 yards out from me, I actually shit myself, it was an awsome sight to behold

It's hard as hell but well worth investing in. I tried the battlefield beta, just zip line nonsense COD wannabe, utterly sad to see Battlefield go that way personally.

4H7OwbZ.jpg
No. Don't compare this game to the Battlefield formula. Apples and oranges

Dr.Morris79

No. Don't compare this game to the Battlefield formula. Apples and oranges
True, I just meant it's the 'Battlefield' I wanted per se.

I will say one thing too, Americans. I fooking love em, most of the time though it's just brash 'i'll fuck your mom' bullshit in gaming, Cod etc, urgh. Last night in Hell let loose, I jump in, 1st time.

We had an American commander talking about incomming bombing runs and check points, an American tank commander who knew his shit and an English bloke in a tank that sounded drunk but able. Hearing it all together you'd of thought you'd stepped into high command during a proper conflict :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It was bloody marvelous. THIS is what people should be supporting this year!

Yes, it's a bit jank but damn, them open fields, the artillery bombardments, the fear of not knowing

Proper war game that. Hope it gets the support it needs.

tbh I wasn't feeling it. only played for 3 hours an didn't feel the need to be on it much because the performance on my rig was shocking.

True, I just meant it's the 'Battlefield' I wanted per se.

I will say one thing too, Americans. I fooking love em, most of the time though it's just brash 'i'll fuck your mom' bullshit in gaming, Cod etc, urgh. Last night in Hell let loose, I jump in, 1st time.

We had an American commander talking about incomming bombing runs and check points, an American tank commander who knew his shit and an English bloke in a tank that sounded drunk but able. Hearing it all together you'd of thought you'd stepped into high command during a proper conflict :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It was bloody marvelous. THIS is what people should be supporting this year!

Yes, it's a bit jank but damn, them open fields, the artillery bombardments, the fear of not knowing

Proper war game that. Hope it gets the support it needs.
I agree with you but lets keep the casuals out of hell let loose. Battlefield had a good place as that in between. I think im done with the series.

Black_Stride

If you think BF1 launched "without issue" I suspect you might have rose tinted glasses in reguards to the entire affair of BF1.

The game was "Fun" compared to other shooters released at the time. However it was incredibly simplified to prior entries, and really lay the groundwork for BF5 to take the extra step into baby's first battlefield.

Did the game have some glitches.
Yes.
Its main issues wasnt with glitches it was with a lack of content drops in a timely manner.

P.S Thats a compilation of Alpha and Beta footage.....kinda disingenuous dont you think?

It’s amazing how the beta just completely fell flat for me. I was looking forward to it and had my expectations in check for a prettier BF4, but it wasn’t even that. It was a mess of ideas that made no real sense and feels like EA are trying to emulate CoD gameplay within Battlefield. Super strange.

It kind of reminds me when EA made Medal of Honor (2010) and it was basically the same as call of duty. Even then, that was a good game I thought.

I didn’t think I would but I cancelled the preorder and ended up picking up Vanguard instead. At least I know what to expect with that game and even though it won’t be perfect, it won’t be trying to be something it isn’t.

I agree with you but lets keep the casuals out of hell let loose. Battlefield had a good place as that in between. I think im done with the series.
Agreed, HLL is completely different and won’t appeal to the mass audience who play either CoD or BF. I’ve seen enough one man armies on HLL this past week to last me a life time. It’s frustrating to say the least.

I still play BF1. Who the fuck is complaining about it still?

Same. Worth returning as there's no more satisfying guns in the Battlefield series as the RSC-SMG, Chauchat, RSC 1917 and the Martini Henry for me. Already the audio & visual peak for the series to date, I sometimes wonder how much more they could have added if they didn't have to work on Star Wars Battlefront & Mirrors Edge Catalyst alongside it. I'll probably still be playing it alongside 2042 anyway :messenger_grinning_sweat:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

4H7OwbZ.jpg
This game is hardcore and unforgiving and the vast majority of the COD player base will hate and I LOVE IT.

I have finally got to use the sniper rifle a couple of times (have to be fast) but that is a game changer having that scope.

I enjoyed BF beta at first but since trying HLL I am for sure holding off of BF especially with Halo and Forza coming those will eat up a lot of my time

Black_Stride

What happened to Bad Company?
What would a Bad Company 2021 game look like?

Whats the appeal of a Bad Company game that BF3 and BF4 didnt handle?
Yeah Rush maps werent as good but there were still some great Rush maps to be had by the time both games reached their end of life and we never devolved into first few minutes destroy everything....now lets play the game.

Controversial opinion reskin BF1 with modern guns/gadgets and arenas then call it Bad Company so Bad Company champions can finally shut up about it.

They wanted to make an BattleRoyale clone but Battlefield?
No wonder theres barely any teamwork in the Beta.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Battlefield started big open maps before Battleroyale, what about Firestorm? We saw that in BFV.

tmlDan

The problem is that this time it isnt just a broken game but also fundamental changes in the gameplay (which cant be as easily fixed as bugs and glitches or performance issues)
and its better, the shooting was the worst part of BF before, the guns had no punch you felt like you were shooting spitballs.

The movement was jank, jumping over walls felt weird and there was no fluidity in movement.

- Movement, and sliding feel great in BF2042
- The parachute feels like the most realistic chute ever
- summoning vehicles gets you out of that walking for 15 min before action
- the guns are punchy and feel good and the bullets/hit icons feel like most BF's, the sniper especially feels like all BF's with the same bullet drop.
- As for destruction, we'll have to see more maps before we make judgement - i know people want buildings to fall all over but that's a small thing.

Hate COD all you want but the movement is good, I still like it to be a bit faster but its good and MW2019 is the best COD in at least 5 years.

Kokoloko85

What did people expect… The fans are delusinal.
Dice, BF and EA are mostly trash and have been for awhile.

BF 3 was the last decent BF for multiplayer. The campaigns just suck and its funny how the fans try and tell everyone its the gamer’s game version of COD or it is better. It doesnt compare

The best studio from EA are the smaller ones

Dr.Morris79

This game is hardcore and unforgiving and the vast majority of the COD player base will hate and I LOVE IT.

I have finally got to use the sniper rifle a couple of times (have to be fast) but that is a game changer having that scope.

I enjoyed BF beta at first but since trying HLL I am for sure holding off of BF especially with Halo and Forza coming those will eat up a lot of my time
I'm still such a noob :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Shmunter

What would a Bad Company 2021 game look like?

Whats the appeal of a Bad Company game that BF3 and BF4 didnt handle?
Yeah Rush maps werent as good but there were still some great Rush maps to be had by the time both games reached their end of life and we never devolved into first few minutes destroy everything....now lets play the game.

Controversial opinion reskin BF1 with modern guns/gadgets and arenas then call it Bad Company so Bad Company champions can finally shut up about it.

They wanted to make an BattleRoyale clone but Battlefield?
No wonder theres barely any teamwork in the Beta.
Bad Company 2021 =
Next gen only - a technical marvel
Next level procedural simulation of destruction & physics
Modern war setting
Rush focused. Too many modes dilutes player base. Conquests etc. can come as part of GaaS down the track if needed
Character driven buddy war campaign

Bliss…

Last edited:
I wondered why the reveal was nothing but cgi cutscenes- now we know. Gonna stick with COD - at least there will be a single player campaign - that and zombies is always fun.

Black_Stride

Bad Company 2021 =
Next gen only - a technical marvel
Next level procedural simulation of destruction & physics
Modern war setting
Rush focused. Too many modes dilutes player base. Conquests etc. can come as part of GaaS down the track if needed
Character driven buddy war campaign

Bliss…

So you basically wanted Battlefield 4.......just badged as Bad Company?

P.S Rush Focused with Conquest down the line might as well just close DICE a few months before the game drops so the employees dont get murdered on their way home.

Shmunter

So you basically wanted Battlefield 4.......just badged as Bad Company?

P.S Rush Focused with Conquest down the line might as well just close DICE a few months before the game drops so the employees dont get murdered on their way home.
Bad Company has a completely different identity to BF4 for me. Going rush only, we’ll that’s bad company, otherwise it’s a mainline BF game ala bf4. Different games, different focus.

Fake

Saying Vanguard is a mess does not exclude BF from being too.

100% this. I played Vanguard BETA. I find a totally shit. I played 2042 BETA and find totally shit too.

People here get so much wrong ideia about gaming. If I shit BF, I'm a CoD fan. If I shit CoD, I'm a BF fan. There is no such a thing.

EDMIX

Edit: sorry for the typo. Its identity not idy

Basically suits at DICE looked at Modern Warfare 2019 and said "hmm operators sounds like a good idea, who needs classes?"
Then they invited only CoD streamers to their closed beta event, BF veterans were left out.

Beta build was from September 19, not July as DICE claims.

The reason they didnt show any footage was bc the build they have (and still do now) is so shitty and bugged that they didnt wanna show any footage of it.

yeah. I just cancelled my pre-order on steam. This game is going to be a mess on launch

Thanks for saving me money DICE management!

A lot of this shit doesn't even make sense.

Operators exist in BFV....

Second, they left out BF vets? To my understand, Jack Frags was playing this and giving impressions, so I don't know about "left out"

Draugoth Draugoth Agreed. If I bought BF's based on the betas, I'd never fucking buy them at all lol

I was in BF1, BF3, BF4's and BFV's beta and had no issue putting literally fucking hundreds of hours in each game and loving the shit out of it. Imagine trying to judge a game like this, if people ignored BF4 based on its launch, you'd basically miss out on one of the best BF titles. Many BF titles have iffy launches but to be honest, all MP titles have questionable launches to the point where i don't buy that anyone can perfect this shit, its like asking MS to make a PERFECT OS at launch, its just not happening. It takes time, patches, updates, fixes based on feed back etc.

I just can't choose a MP title based on its beta, it sounds silly as fuck. I if anything understand if someone wants to wait 6 months to a year before picking up or something, but I'd advice they fucking do that with ALL MP titles, I've yet to find even one game that just launched with zero issues or something.

If they never made a beta, people would just bitch that EA isn't listening to fans....

Shows BETA (literally NOT THE FUCKING FINISHED PRODUCT) fans bitch anyway.

No winning with this tbh.

Fake Fake Agreed, I hate that shit. Someone should be allowed to give a view point without this automatic "day must be da OPs" and or "DA UTTER SIDE" lol If anything, I think it shows that even the company that moves some of the most units with COD isn't making some perfect beta or launch or anything like that. If not them, then who? Who the fuck can we even make as a measuring point to really be demanding something thats NEVER happened? Before I ask, demand, question etc, I first need to learn who the fuck did the thing I'm asking or if its even ever been done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom