• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: PS5 Pro releasing on November 2024

The PS5 feels more like a disappointment than the PS4, at least when the PS4 released we had some properly good looking games compared to PS3 gen. This gen has just been slow and trash thanks to Covid none the less.

I feel like base PS5 still hasn’t stretched its legs properly and we already have Pro models supposedly coming next year, and I’m sure we we will still be cross gen gaming even then.

Have we truly seen any game take advantage of the geometry engine??

What a disappointment.

twilo99

If you are good with just fine then surely you wouldn't have a problem with a lot better?

Or are you one of those people that just doesn't like knowing there is something better than what you have out there?

Oh, well, that depends on your perspective, does it not?

If you have a 4090 build, a PS5 "pro" wont' be anything spectacular at all and it would go into the "just fine" category as well...

Does knowing that there is something better out there automatically render what you have not good enough?

CGNoire

Please be true!

squirt GIF
Wtf is that?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
And where exactly are you going to see 8K at its full fidelity for UE5 if you don't have a 8K TV or monitor? Looking at a 8K video on a 4K or lesser monitor you won't see anything. And no, I haven't see the PS5 UE5 demo your talking about, are you talking about Matrix? Thats the only thing I saw and as as I recall it wasn't at 8K and even if it was, I don't have a 8K monitor to view it on.

And yes, I couldn't tell the difference between 8K and 4K at best buy while looking side by side, maybe it's the footage that was on, but I don't see the hype.

Good luck finding a 8K monitor with 60 herts or 120 at an affordable price.
There is no point but if you have a 4k monitor you can add 8k drs on nvidia.
Launch something like dark souls 3 with it. 15fps but my god. It looks like a postcard. Just like ground truth render.
You don’t need 8k monitor.

But that only works for games with poor AA like ds3. If game supports good TAA or dlss, there is no point using 8k

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The PS5 feels more like a disappointment than the PS4, at least when the PS4 released we had some properly good looking games compared to PS3 gen. This gen has just been slow and trash thanks to Covid none the less.

I feel like base PS5 still hasn’t stretched its legs properly and we already have Pro models supposedly coming next year, and I’m sure we we will still be cross gen gaming even then.

What a disappointment.
It’s just a nature of 3d graphics. Ps4 games already look fantastic so upgrades are getting smaller.
You look at games released this year like hogwarts or burning shores and you are in awe. But these games have ps4 versions too. It’s just graphics nowadays are scalable

My gaming time nowadays ain't the same but damn I'll get the PS5 Pro day one. It's gonna be awesome to have both high frame rate and ray tracing.

Have to upgrade my OLED TV for one which has hdmi 2.1.

What a disappointment.
Yes I am really disappointed about the lack of true exclusives on PS5. Game like Demon's souls should have being the norm and now it will clearly be the exception. On PS4 we had Resogun, Driveclub, Bloodborne and many others gems. And PS3 was even better still.

Current games and planned games are now multiplats Ubisoft / Activision / Marvels wannabe movies I am not interested in.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Like what reality do you actually live in?

There are 30FPS games.
There are 60FPS games that can't maintain a solid 60FPS.
There are 120FPS games that definitely DO NOT stay at 120FPS.

No solid frame rates unless its 30FPS and if you're playing a 60FPS or 120FPS game it's not a solid fps they constantly dip below expectations and on top of that sacrifice resolution.

Where is this world that you live in where things are just fine? Because I haven't seen it yet in actual reality of games I've been playing.
What world do you live in? The vast majority of PS5 owners will not care to upgrade. Just because you want the best for a console, doesn't mean others do. Most upgrade happy people game on PC. Games always push the limits then make tradeoffs. Releasing a more powerful version so a small fraction of people can upgrade and create a small influx of used systems for people to gobble up is a weird tactic. It sends a weird message to people who bought the system already too. The PS4 Pro had the 4K angel, the only angle here is that the base PS5 is not good enough.

SenkiDala

Come on guys, this is crazy, why would Sony want more money? Why would they want people to have more options and choice?

Its not like PS4 Pro did well anyway, it was only for 4K and stuff, ZERO reason exist for this to really be a thing /s

I still don't get why some were betting against a company looking to make money. This was always inevitable to me and a matter a when then if.

It would be like acting shocked that Switch 2 has a "lite" version or "OLED" version or some shit while ignoring the entire history of them doing this.

Who is to say they are not already working on PS6 right now?

I mean, did you really think they'd stop to focus on a Pro version? I mean shit, did PS5 literally not come out after PS4 Pro or? lol They have many teams and its very, very likely its just split the exact way we saw with PS4 Pro and PS5....thats it.

So I don't see this as an either or and Sony as a company still need to make money, to then fund PS6's development, thus would need the sales of PS5 Pro, PS5 Slim etc.

Yea, no one is forcing anyone to... PS4 broke many records for them and did just fine lol

So...no disrespect Senki, what you are saying literally has nothing to do with how that company operates. Their job is to make as much money as they can.
I've been misunderstood I think.

I know they are right to do so, a company is here to make profit obviously, so as long as you sell your products (PS4 Pro, iPhones at 1200$ etc) they are RIGHT to make them, obviously. Opposite exemples were the 32X or Mega CD for exemple, the results showed us they were wrong and yes that R&D was a "waste" (except for the gain of experience for the company).

So yes if the PS5 Pro sells well and they make more money than they spent to make this project happen, of course they were right make it. That is "absolute obviousness". I mean the day it is released I sell my old PS5 to get a Pro version, I'm that kind of consumer.

I was of course talking from my, and only my, perspective, from what I'd like as a gamer.

About wow effects, yes obviously it's gone, I'll never feel again what I felt in front of Starfox, Donkey Kong Country, Mario 64, Shenmue, Soulcalibur, Crysis, FFVII, and so on. Generation gaps stopped to be that impressive from the 360/PS3 era to me, at that moment we reached a peak, and after that everything was just "evolutions", and polishing from the previous generations. So yes this is not all due to "Pro versions" but it reduces it even more. :)

Last edited:

onQ123

I will be honest I have looked at 4k and 8k side by side and unless you have a 75" screen and are sitting literally 2 feet away there is no difference.

Edit - So just looked and even Sony says for 8k @ 75" you need to sit 4 1/2 feet away from the screen.

People had these same conversations about going from 720P to 1080P then they went through it with 1080P to 4K .

I was really attacked on this website for talking about 4K gaming lol

Justin9mm

What a disappointment.
PS4 Pro was to service 4K TVs. PS5 Pro is to service poor optimisation by lazy devs.

Massive disappointment.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
People had these same conversations about going from 720P to 1080P then they went through it with 1080P to 4K .

I was really attacked on this website for talking about 4K gaming lol

Those jumps at lower res you can sit further back from your TV and bitbydeath bitbydeath explained to me his TV is only about 4 feet away which than 8k does come into play with a decent sized TV

But yeah I remember that whole can of worms even IGN weighing in on it and I used to remind that Ryan McCaffrey often their talk timestamped here until he blocked me

Dream-Knife

Banned
If this is the case then we need new hardware every 3 years just to keep up..

It would be more consumer friendly to make that first hardware iteration more future proof so you don't have to buy new hardware so soon
Why not just make the APU on a card, and have consoles have removable cards? Then every 2 years you can have a 6, 7, 8, or 9 tier card replacement.

onQ123

Those jumps at lower res you can sit further back from your TV and bitbydeath bitbydeath explained to me his TV is only about 4 feet away which than 8k does come into play with a decent sized TV

But yeah I remember that whole can of worms even IGN weighing in on it and I used to remind that Ryan McCaffrey often their talk timestamped here until he blocked me

Wild times lol but I learned a long time ago that you will notice it more in reverse than going forward lol by that I mean looking forward you can say I'm not going to notice much difference but if you use a 8KTV (with 8K content) for some time then try to go back to 4K you're going to really notice the difference.

If we never seen 720P , 1080P ,4K & so on we would still be perfectly fine with SD TV .

supernova8

Banned
It’s just a nature of 3d graphics. Ps4 games already look fantastic so upgrades are getting smaller.
You look at games released this year like hogwarts or burning shores and you are in awe. But these games have ps4 versions too. It’s just graphics nowadays are scalable
I'd say it's the result of Sony and Microsoft having switched over to relatively "boring" (design wise) x86-based systems since last gen.

I've seen others claim that, for instance, MW3 being cross-gen (still!) is because the PS4 installed base is so large and therefore it would be a wasted opportunity. However, think of all the developers/published that dropped Xbox and PS2 like a sack of potatos in favor of Xbox 360 and/or PS3 despite PS2 having a gigantic installed base (Xbox not so much). You'd think those same companies would go out of their way to make a version for PS2 if they could (resource-wise). It's obviously because it probably would've been a pain in the ass to try to get a game made for PS3 to run on PS2.

The sad reality is that as long they stick with these comparatively "vanilla" glorified compact gaming PCs, we're probably going to be stuck with cross-gen bollocks.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'd say it's the result of Sony and Microsoft having switched over to relatively "boring" (design wise) x86-based systems since last gen.

I've seen others claim that, for instance, MW3 being cross-gen (still!) is because the PS4 installed base is so large and therefore it would be a wasted opportunity. However, think of all the developers/published that dropped Xbox and PS2 like a sack of potatos in favor of Xbox 360 and/or PS3 despite PS2 having a gigantic installed base (Xbox not so much). You'd think those same companies would go out of their way to make a version for PS2 if they could (resource-wise). It's obviously because it probably would've been a pain in the ass to try to get a game made for PS3 to run on PS2.

The sad reality is that as long they stick with these comparatively "vanilla" glorified compact gaming PCs, we're probably going to be stuck with cross-gen bollocks.
Yeah that too. x86 allows "to some degree" just use these consoles as budget pcs. Lower settings un unreal engine and done.
They work like that but if the dev allows time and learns the system, it can be so much more.
On older systems, devs HAD TO learn the system to put out anything on it

Caio

And I will enjoy my Pro for 3-4 years while you wait!
I will buy PS5 PRO day one, I don't have a PS5 yet; I was thinking from the beginning to wait for the PRO model, as I managed to buy a XSX very soon, and decided to wait for the Mid Gen refresh for PS5, 'cause I was sure it was coming out, my sixth sense :D And, maybe I will do the same every gen, unless there is a killer app on launch. I got bored of all the cross-gen games in the first 3 years, so, unless there is a very good reason to buy the new hardware on Day one, I'll simply wait, and if(very unlikely), the "PRO" model is not coming in the future Gen, I'll buy the standard console. Easy as that.

MikeM

After owning both PS4 and PS4 pro previous Gen, the pro console is the most useless piece of crap.
PS5 pro?
No thank you.
Even more useless this gen, because their exclusives are coming to PC anyway, want more power? Play on PC.
Demon Souls on PC when?
Bloodbourne on PC when?
Day 1 Sony releases on PC when?

Until then, PC is not the answer. I’ll take a PS5 Pro today, especially considering games like Elden Ring (and others) can’t hit a proper 60fps on the current PS5.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I will buy PS5 PRO day one, I don't have a PS5 yet; I was thinking from the beginning to wait for the PRO model, as I managed to buy a XSX very soon, and decided to wait for the Mid Gen refresh for PS5, 'cause I was sure it was coming out, my sixth sense :D And, maybe I will do the same every gen, unless there is a killer app on launch. I got bored of all the cross-gen games in the first 3 years, so, unless there is a very good reason to buy the new hardware on Day one, I'll simply wait, and if(very unlikely), the "PRO" model is not coming in the future Gen, I'll buy the standard console. Easy as that.
When the PS3 was out, the desert caused by the HD transition was awful, and made worse when compared to the PS2 golden age. So I wanted to wait for a Slim version for the PS4. Bloodborne forced me to jump earlier than planned. And in 2016 the Pro announcement made me livid! So I wanted to do like you and wait for the PS5 Pro, and Demon's Souls happened... Damn it Sony, always one step ahead! At least I am happy with my PS5, and the Pro being one year later means that I will have used it enough to not have any regrets when the Pro launches. I hope that next gen I will be as strong as you, but I doubt it...

Last edited:

Caio

When the PS3 was out, the desert caused by the HD transition was awful, and made worse when compared to the PS2 golden age. So I wanted to wait for a Slim version for the PS4. Bloodborne forced me to jump earlier than planned. And in 2016 the Pro announcement made me livid! So I wanted to do like you and wait for the PS5 Pro, and Demon's Souls happened... Damn it Sony, always one step ahead! At least I am happy with my PS5, and the Pro being one year later means that I will have used it enough to not have any regrets when the Pro launches. I hope that next gen I will be as strong as you, but I doubt it...
I was tempted, and there are some PS5 games I'm really interested in, but somehow I could resist; you couldn't, because Demon's Souls is kind of a Killer app for you. I would have done the same if I had my killer app on Launch, like a new IP from Naughty Dog(dreaming I know), or a New KillZone Game(again, dreaming is free :) ).
With PS5 PRO I will enjoy the best Games of 2023 and 2024 on Day One, in full glory, and older games like TLOU Part I, this I really want to play again.

HTK

Banned
What world do you live in? The vast majority of PS5 owners will not care to upgrade. Just because you want the best for a console, doesn't mean others do. Most upgrade happy people game on PC. Games always push the limits then make tradeoffs. Releasing a more powerful version so a small fraction of people can upgrade and create a small influx of used systems for people to gobble up is a weird tactic. It sends a weird message to people who bought the system already too. The PS4 Pro had the 4K angel, the only angle here is that the base PS5 is not good enough.
You asked for a reason and I gave it to you. Wether people want to upgrade or not is irrelevant to the reasons I listed.

If majority don’t upgrade which by the way there is nothing wrong with that, why are you so compelled to be against a Pro console it doesn’t hurt the majority and it gives those that want more an option. It’s a win win. I don’t understand this hard-on people have against a Pro system like it will affect their lives so much.

Sony themselves also don’t want to bleed out that fan base that wants a more powerful console and are not willing to wait another 5 long years for next gen.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Demon Souls on PC when?
Bloodbourne on PC when?
Day 1 Sony releases on PC when?

Until then, PC is not the answer. I’ll take a PS5 Pro today, especially considering games like Elden Ring (and others) can’t hit a proper 60fps on the current PS5.
I just think a PS5 Pro and Wolverine launch go hand in hand

And yeah I do not understand people saying no need for a PS5 Pro just get a PC

That argument only works if Sony was launching everything day and date on PC

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't feel compelled to buy PS5 Pro as PS5 has barely any current gen games, i'm sure that will improve in 2024 but has PS5 anywhere near peaked? l don't think so. Heck the new MW:COD3 is cross gen.

Last edited:
PS4 had tons and tons of exclusive and great games before PS4 pro came
And the reason of that pro was 4k TVs.
Ps5 on the other hand hardly have any truly next gen games and they want u to buy a pro version now which is ridiculous

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Top Bottom