• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: "Xbox baffled by the extend of rumors. Sources tell nothing set in stone for xbox ports apart from Hifi Rush and Sea of Thieves"

Draugoth

Gold Member
According to Tom Henderson sources inside Xbox, the only ports coming to PS5/NS is Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi. Xbox was very surprised by the scale the rumors got.

Make of this what you will, but speaking with a few folk over there, they [xbox] was very surprised at the extent of the "rumours" because nothing was set in stone apart from Hi-Fi and SoT from what I've gathered. Honestly sounds like for the most part it's been a prime example of Chinese whispers or people just making shit up to capitalise off the hysteria. It will be interesting to see what is said because the rumours seem to be fueling decisions that might need more time in the oven so to speak.

Last edited:
Sale Smile GIF by INMINDSEYE

Kuranghi

Probably just a bunch of submentals cannoning dreich out of their oversized clamholes.... so to speak.

It'll be funny if the announcements are totally unrelated to all of this but they still don't address or deny it.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yes, I'm quite sure Phil Spencer said...

"We're listening and we hear you. We've been planning a business update event for next week, where we look forward to sharing more details with you about our vision for the future of Xbox"

... about Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves coming to Playstation.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Show up Monday with the gasoline then.

Emergency meeting this morning; Phil managed to get them to reverse course. Xbox Direct on 2/14/24 will open up with Phil holding a copy of Hi-Fi Rush physical for PS5, smiling. Then slowly, a serious look shows up on his face as then covers the case in gasoline and lights it on fire. Phil stares at the flames as it melts for 20 minutes while the camera slowly zooms in on his face so you see the flames in his eyes reflected, accompanied by the Halo choir theme song in the background. As soon as the direct is done, every Minecraft and Call of Duty player not on Xbox has their saves deleted.

Morons. I don't believe they weren't planning much more. Trust gone. Now PC is my best friend.

Robb

Gold Member
Then why not just go out and say it’s false. Makes you wonder what their PR staff is even doing other than cashing paychecks.

then why have they been so quiet? if nothing beyond that was set in stone they could have denied it or even just put out the classic “we don’t comment on rumors and speculation”

instead they let this go rampant unchecked to the damage of their own brand 🤦🏼‍♂️
Yeah, 100%. If SOT and Hi-FI rush were the only ones, Xbox would have certainly spoken or leaked out info saying that. SOT and Hi-Fi-Rush are the beginning of Microsoft testing the viability of going multi-platform

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Yes, I'm quite sure Phil Spencer said...

"We're listening and we hear you. We've been planning a business update event for next week, where we look forward to sharing more details with you about our vision for the future of Xbox"

... about Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves coming to Playstation.
Agree on that, talking about the "future of Xbox" in my mind isn't just saying Hi-Fi Rush is coming to PlayStation. There's some drastic changes to the entire platform coming.

tr1p1ex

people on the internets making a mountain out of a molehill? A something burger out of a nothing burger? Never seen it before.

Astray

Gold Member
I expect it’s because, as a soul crushing corporate hell hole, nothing gets out of the comms department without sign off from hundreds of people.
No fucking way they leave rumors like this unchecked for so long. Denial of rumors has happened via Twitter before, you don't need a special event to reiterate your strategy or to announce Hifi Rush on PS5.

I think someone wants to muddy the waters and make leakers look like idiots because people are getting close to figuring it out online and it might get picked up by the stock market and analysts etc.

They are going to have to have proper P&L numbers for the gaming biz again, and they need to communicate whatever new strategy they have on their terms.

I would personally pay a lot of attention to what Tom Warren says until the event happens. He's connected beyond the likes of Jez or Colt are, and certainly more than Nate the Hate.

MarkMe2525

Massive damage control before the weekend lol

Phil Spencer could have easily squashed this days ago but he didn’t.
It's normal for companies not to comment on rumor. I'm not making any proclamations, just correcting the idea that if he didn't squash it days ago, that makes the rumors true.

Side note: if the unsubstantiated rumors turn out to be false, many will be quick to claim damage control on MS's part. Ironically, their confirmation bias will blind them to the fact that it is themselves who are doing the damage control, in defense of the many assetertions they themselves have made.

Last edited:

Kacho

The damage has been done at this point. They aren’t putting the toothpaste back in the tube.

Last edited:

Three

And conveniently they finally realised and decided to reply/made a decision by end of week. How nice.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

"We're so baffled." These guys had every chance to spell it out and refused. Liars that are changing course, at best. And even then still porting multiple games.

Joke of a company that doesn't take any of their customers seriously. Fuck off.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Lmao, idiots. A good way to put rumors out is to come out and talk about it and confirm things as soon as possible. Of course rumors are going to spread like wild fire while some people are in panic mode.

Sushi_Combo

And if they really thought these were getting out of hand, Phil Spender would've probably made some post on twitter to quell those rumors.

Sakura

I expect it’s because, as a soul crushing corporate hell hole, nothing gets out of the comms department without sign off from hundreds of people.
Sure, but I still believe Phil could say something like "Hey guys, don't believe everything you read online! Xbox will always have exclusive games." There are many ways that they could say something to quell all the rumours etc without actually having to say anything.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
then why have they been so quiet? if nothing beyond that was set in stone they could have denied it or even just put out the classic “we don’t comment on rumors and speculation”

instead they let this go rampant unchecked to the damage of their own brand 🤦🏼‍♂️

I legit cant believe you're trying to blame Microsoft in all this. A bunch of internet psychos start spreading pure FUD and the world goes with it.

Phil was playing Diablo IV with his buddies! What do you expect him to do.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
As soon as there was a rumour that Hi Fi and sea of thieves were coming to other platforms, there were people everywhere saying "it's over" "MS going full third party"

How were MS supposed to have any chance of predicting how insane these people are?

DrFigs

Feel like they probably should have responded sooner to rumors. this is a really bad look.

like the rumors are that this is the end of xbox basically, and their response was: "Bond will talk about it in the spring". then it was "Phil Spencer will talk about it next week". now its: "we're baffled people think this is a big deal". are there any serious people left at Xbox.

Last edited:

farmerboy

Someone said people inside don't know whats going on, now Henderson says people inside are baffled, "it's only two games".

Basically, where there's smoke there's fire. MS should get on the front foot ASAP.

Still doesn't excuse the meltdowns.

Last edited:
Top Bottom