• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered Includes Racial and Ethnic Stereotypes Warning From Crystal Dynamics

nkarafo

Me personally, I'd laugh at the accusation but be happy that nothing was cut or changed and that the actual Devs did a stellar job in this version.

Hmm, someone is insulting you in an official statement, via a product that's aimed at the fans of your past works and you would just laugh it off?

Can't say i agree with such stance but everyone is different i guess, thanks for the answer.

Hmm, someone is insulting you in an official statement, via a product that's aimed at the fans of your past works and you would just laugh it off?

Can't say i agree with such stance but everyone is different i guess, thanks for the answer.
i asked him a while back why he kept defending it, but maybe he doesnt even know. being the nice guy neutral party never pans out tho

YCoCg

I look at it this way, Crystal Dynamics has always been salty their Uncharted Adventures of Young Lara was never as iconic as the Core series, and now people get the chance to play updated versions of these works with a vast array of options and great performance on every platform with no work being altered, changed, cut or edited.

Crystal Dynamics input in this basically boils down to a splash screen saying "BUT THIS IS RACIST!"

If I was a dev on the originals I'd be happy that my previous work is being represented in such a well done way by other developers who clearly love the originals and not be that bothered by the salty comments from CD who have long since shown distaste for the core era.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Re-release the games untouched.

Puts harmless disclaimer that the easily offended accept without throwing a strop (thanks Disney for that stemming of censorship).

Anyone complaining about a page of writing that doesn't affect the actual games, ye are the same as the easily offended brigade. This outrage is embarrassing

Puts harmless disclaimer that the easily offended accept without throwing a strop (thanks Disney for that stemming of censorship).

Anyone complaining about a page of writing that doesn't affect the actual games, ye are the same as the easily offended brigade. This outrage is embarrassing
as someone who admires robocop i cant believe you are such a passive beta

BITCHES LEAVE

This is such a dumb thing to say. 'Complaining about toxic bullshit is the same as the toxic bullshit'. That whole disclaimer is a lie based on ideological cultish nonsense - lies are never harmless.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
as someone who admires robocop i cant believe you are such a passive beta

BITCHES LEAVE
Do you want the games on current gen systems with achievements/trophies and slight improvements or not? I'd take a re-release of an original game with a we're sorry for the content than releasing an edited version of the original game. You do realise the hypocrisy of being as easily offended as those the splash page is trying to placate.

Also who told you that Dick Jones reps for RoboCop? Bob Morton? We all know what happened to him, he got cashed out. ED-209 forever.

Krathoon

One remaster that still pisses me off was Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. They removed all evidence that Bioware did it and replaced the cool cutscenes with crappy animations.

I use some mods to restore the original content.

ungalo

They are releasing the game untouched because of laziness (you can't erase this kind of thing easily, it's a remaster) and potential commercial backfire. That makes them even bigger hypocrites in my humble opinion.

No "outrage" on my part, i'm discussing the topic. I just found the stance ridiculous.

Now that it's being said, i'm not going to buy Embracer shit, particularly remaster, i hope it flops.

Last edited:
Do you want the games on current gen systems with achievements/trophies and slight improvements or not? I'd take a re-release of an original game with a we're sorry for the content than releasing an edited version of the original game. You do realise the hypocrisy of being as easily offended as those the splash page is trying to placate.

Also who told you that Dick Jones reps for RoboCop? Bob Morton? We all know what happened to him, he got cashed out. ED-209 forever.
lmao.. the topic had been discussed already. its just a bummer that we cant have a good product without someones shitty trigger warning nowadays. im not offended, i just point out when people are pussies. im sitting next to peter weller at the bar and he agrees with me

Dick Jones

Gold Member
lmao.. the topic had been discussed already. its just a bummer that we cant have a good product without someones shitty trigger warning nowadays. im not offended, i just point out when people are pussies. im sitting next to peter weller at the bar and he agrees with me
Ask Peter Weller how's his wanking hand

hvb9OC0.jpg

nkarafo

You do realise the hypocrisy of being as easily offended as those the splash page is trying to placate.

Let me explain the difference for you:

The easily offended crazy activists you are referring to actually look for things to be offended by. Even if said content isn't made for them and they are not the target audience, they will try to push themselves in just so they can be offended about it and make themselves look victimized. They are narcissists who try to make themselves look more virtuous than you, while others hand over nice things to them because modern societies tend to help people who are victimized.

If the game was censored and the content was offensive to me i wouldn't care as much, i would just laugh it off and ignore it, maybe post a cynical reaction about it at worst. But this particular disclaimer directly insults the fans and developers of a certain trilogy of games. And sorry but when someone directly insults me i can't just laugh it off.

In what way these are the same behavior?

Last edited:

Ristifer

Wow. Thanks for the warning that games aren't real life, Crystal Dynamics. I honestly don't know where I'd be without this tremendous guidance. Do you have a help line I can call when I'm really feeling out of sorts by these depictions?

I'm surprised they didn't add some jackass line about potential body image issues by looking at Lara's tits.

The easily offended crazy activists you are referring to actually look for things to be offended by. Even if said content isn't made for them and they are not the target audience, they will try to push themselves in just so they can be offended about it and make themselves look victimized. They are narcissists who try to make themselves look more virtuous than you, while others hand over nice things to them because modern societies likes to help people who are victimized.

If the game was censored and the content was offensive to me i wouldn't care as much, i would just laugh it off and ignore it, maybe post a cynical reaction post about it at worst But this particular disclaimer directly insults the fans and developers of a certain trilogy of games. And sorry but when someone directly insults me i can't just laugh it off.

they created a monster like me who actively goes out and tries to offend people. for keeping the balance

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The -nolegal flag takes off all of the company logos too. It brings you directly to the title screen.

It is brilliant.
Yeah just tried it myself. Pro gamer move. Directly to the game and skips all the bullshit. A+ to the person that figured it out. Wonder if that works for any game.

ssringo

FYI if you use the -nolegal launch option without launching the game first and accepting the eula you might not have icons in the menu. No other problems from what i saw. Was a (minor) issue on Steam Deck, dunno if affects regular PC.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

The easily offended crazy activists you are referring to actually look for things to be offended by. Even if said content isn't made for them and they are not the target audience, they will try to push themselves in just so they can be offended about it and make themselves look victimized. They are narcissists who try to make themselves look more virtuous than you, while others hand over nice things to them because modern societies tend to help people who are victimized.

If the game was censored and the content was offensive to me i wouldn't care as much, i would just laugh it off and ignore it, maybe post a cynical reaction about it at worst. But this particular disclaimer directly insults the fans and developers of a certain trilogy of games. And sorry but when someone directly insults me i can't just laugh it off.

You're as fragile as they are. You wanting games to be censored than a released copy with a splashpage that says certain things might offend you, here is generic apology number 1.

Censoring re-releases of games would encourage the outrage. The lazy apology is the best case scenario.

nkarafo

You're as fragile as they are. You wanting games to be censored than a released copy with a splashpage that says certain things might offend you, here is generic apology number 1.

Censoring re-releases of games would encourage the outrage. The lazy apology is the best case scenario.

Lol, where did i say i want censored games?

Here's what i want: Don't censor the games and don't insult me at the same time. If you censor i simply won't buy, if you insult me you are going to hear it from me.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Lol, where did i say i want censored games?

Here's what i want: Don't censor the games and don't insult me at the same time. If you censor i simply won't buy, if you insult me you are going to hear it from me.
Did you not write if the game was censored you wouldn't care as much?

I dunno what ya'll are up in arms about. It's infinitely better than them changing the game or removing content.
You are correct that it is better than removing content, but this is just pandering to idiots. The company kept everything the same because 99.99% of the buyers of this game don't give a shit about being offended by stereotypes in these games from the 90's. This silly message is for the 0.01% who are offended about everything, and pandering to those losers never works out in the long run. Companies that worry about this kind of shit don't usually have their priorities straight.

Killer8

Having started the game now, mashing X button got me to the main menu in seconds and I barely even registered that i'd skipped past this screen. In fact the EULA screen which you have to scroll through and agree to was more annoying.

MiguelItUp

You are correct that it is better than removing content, but this is just pandering to idiots. The company kept everything the same because 99.99% of the buyers of this game don't give a shit about being offended by stereotypes in these games from the 90's. This silly message is for the 0.01% who are offended about everything, and pandering to those losers never works out in the long run. Companies that worry about this kind of shit don't usually have their priorities straight.
To me, pandering to idiots would be to completely censor content. IMO this is more of a "just in case" scenario. It's a screen that acts as protection from idiots, and the game content is untouched. It probably felt like the best middle ground they could take. But people still find things to complain about.

I don't recall what "offensive" stuff is in the game, but I almost want to buy it just cause they didn't completely cave and take the stuff out.

To me, pandering to idiots would be to completely censor content. IMO this is more of a "just in case" scenario. It's a screen that acts as protection from idiots, and the game content is untouched. It probably felt like the best middle ground they could take. But people still find things to complain about.
It's true that it would be worse for them to censor the game and then not "need" this warning, but seriously go back and read the warning. This isn't one of those "we are a diverse team, from diverse backgrounds, from many religions, writing games during historical times when bad shit happened so don't get offended" messages that Ubisoft tacks onto their games. This message a real kick. If you boil it down it reads:

"These games are offensive and racist. The content in them is deeply harmful, inexcusable, and against our morals and ethics. We hope you will see how bad the content is and learn from it"

I don't trust developers who censor content in their old games, but Crystal Dynamics is basically saying this game is a piece of shit, but hopefully you can learn from it?

It's a bit nutso, and goes beyond typical corporate virtue signalling and right into "hey we agree with you Kotaku and ResetEra guys, the game is full of shittiness, just play to learn from the bad stuff".

Danknugz

i dont have any horses in this race, but i can understand if you paid your own money for this and aren't warm to this bizarre form of lip service to certain demographics, how one might feel that they inadvertently contributed their own money to it, and only learned of this upon seeing this screen.

MiguelItUp

It's true that it would be worse for them to censor the game and then not "need" this warning, but seriously go back and read the warning. This isn't one of those "we are a diverse team, from diverse backgrounds, from many religions, writing games during historical times when bad shit happened so don't get offended" messages that Ubisoft tacks onto their games. This message a real kick. If you boil it down it reads:

"These games are offensive and racist. The content in them is deeply harmful, inexcusable, and against our morals and ethics. We hope you will see how bad the content is and learn from it"

I don't trust developers who censor content in their old games, but Crystal Dynamics is basically saying this game is a piece of shit, but hopefully you can learn from it?

It's a bit nutso, and goes beyond typical corporate virtue signalling and right into "hey we agree with you Kotaku and ResetEra guys, the game is full of shittiness, just play to learn from the bad stuff".
Nah, I'm good. I don't need to reread anything. I still firmly believe it's nothing more than that. Whether it be an idea from their legal team or otherwise, who knows. Regardless, I just don't think it's that big of a deal personally. It's literally there for a few seconds on boot and then it's gone. If it bothers anyone that much they can remove it via the command line. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom