• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Ryaaan14

Banned
FlameO2.jpg

FlameO.jpg

Uhoh. Better lighting AND more TreesFX.

PC GAF gonna be salty.

I'm not sure if this is parody or not.

Wonko_C

My impressions:
-the graphics are very detailed with nice graphics and occasional textures
-the music plays at volumes sometimes loud and sometimes soft
-the level design is often somewhat interesting in how the design is
-multiplayer supports multiple players
-Lara's tale is a genuine story worthy of being told in a tale perhaps

izMIyUGa5fEx7.gif

made a gif of the stupid lightbar stuff when you're holding a torch

That's... awesome. Completely useless but awesome nontheless.

I was going to say that, it's pretty cool. But I don't have a PS4 so I don't really know if it'll annoy me too. (I play with the lights on, I'm not a vampire)

God, the framerate is soooo good

So the framerate has a lot of smooth frames? Awesome.

Kemal86

Was able to pick up a PS4 copy in central IL. Dude at Gamestop said they had like 2 copies left for both platforms, they had been selling them non stop all day.

Framerate is stupid smooth on PS4 for me. I played it on PC last year but was downsampling with all settings on max so while it looked super pretty I didn't get a good frame rate.

Kanokare

While a bit darker, the DE version definitely looks better than the PC version judging screenshots only. I'd hope for a DE version on Steam, but unlike Deus Ex I don't think it's worthwhile for an upgraded version (unless it's cheap like free cheap).

To everyone whose never played it, game is worth playing and hope you enjoy!

Jedi2016

Hm. "Better" lighting is debatable. It looks like all they did was boost the saturation and contrast... brighter colors (which does a wonderful job of making it look more artificial), and deeper shadows like all the best poorly-lit blockbuster movies these days.

I also realized they didn't just change Lara's face... they changed her eye color. I think that's one of the things that makes it look a little "off" in comparison (being "used to" the old Lara), since as humans, we tend to identify with a person's eyes.

TyrantII

lol

Yo we're gonna suck all the detail outta the foreground to give your ass some PIIIIIIIIIIIINE

Whats sucked out?

Thats volumetric smoke and particle effects that aren't in the other shot. The rest of the scene is the same as PC, except for improved lighting and that sweet treeFX.

hlhbk

Walked into my local GameStop and picked up a copy for my PS4! Just to verify we won't be banned on PSN for playing an early copy right?

SRTtoZ

The PC/PS4 versions look different from each other but not really in a worse way. Very impressive stuff here.

stryke

Walked into my local GameStop and picked up a copy for my PS4! Just to verify we won't be banned on PSN for playing an early copy right?

No, Sony doesn't do that. The date's been officially lifted as well anyway (well for US Gamestop it seems) so it should be safe on both platforms.

dab0ne

Whats sucked out?

Thats volumetric smoke and particle effects that aren't in the other shot. The rest of the scene is the same as PC, except for improved lighting and that sweet treeFX.

I like the clearness of the PC version. You can keep the smoke.

Gurish

I think both PC/PS4 are pretty close but PS4 gets the edge for a better model, problem is that she doesn't cast emotions as well but she is technically better.

overall i don't think a PC gamer, even a graphics whore, needs to get this version for the visuals if he played it on MAX, the jump isn't serious, of course for console gamers it's very significant if they are about the visuals.

BTW i also think the new Tressfx of the PS4 version actually looks better than the PC, i don't know if its technically better but i like it's aesthetic more, PC version looks a little ridiculous with it's REVLON effect, the PS4 looks more like how a real hair would look and not in a way of "WE GOT A NEW HAIR TECHNOLOGY LOOK!!!!".

EDIT: OK, after kotaku's article it seems differences are more significant in favor of the PS4 than some still images can tell us, still wouldn't buy it if i already played it on MAX on PC though.

Vire

Didn't see it but kotaku has a comparison of sorts and analysis review up.

Summary: ps4/xbox one superior to PC. Kirk does review. He gives final nod to ps4 for "feel" - likely fps.

Has screen comparisons and GIf of Xbox one and PC - no ps4.

http://kotaku.com/tomb-raider-on-ps4-is-more-definitive-than-on-xbox-o-1508613136

ignore me if already posted.

Kotaku said:
Most immediately noticeable is how much more alive the environments feel in the new version: Howling winds and low-hanging clouds blow through most areas, where in the PC version there was only open air and the occasional bit of fog. Trees in the Definitive Edition blow in the wind where on PC they stand still. In some places in the Definitive Edition, flocks of birds circle in the air, while on PC the air is empty.

Next gen version has moving trees/PC version has static trees.

Superior version confirmed.

PC:

ku-xlarge.gif

Xbox One/PS4:

ku-xlarge.gif

stryke

Trees swaying in the definitive versions (X1 shown):

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19dkyqzry06xwgif/ku-xlarge.gif[./IMG]

Which is absent in PC

[IMG]http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19dkynjgt5cwvgif/ku-xlarge.gif[./IMG]

Kudos to Kirk/Kotaku

edit: damnit Vire >:)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yep, they reworked foliage and props with a physics engine. Shrubs should move when Lara passes through too.

delta25

Banned

PC:

ku-xlarge.gif

Xbox One/PS4:

ku-xlarge.gif

Man these comparisons are so hit and miss, based on becks comparison it shows that both versions have their pro's and con's, but in this comparison and the one ethomaz posted it shows that the definitive version is leaps and bounds better.

Vire

I'm kinda impressed that this doesn't seem to be a quick and lazy port.

It seems like a fair amount of effort went into it and the improvements (when added together) are not insignificant. Still unsure if I want to pay full price for this though.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yep, they reworked foliage and props with a physics engine. Shrubs should move when Lara passes through too.

They do, very well. I saw it in a stream yesterday.

dolabla

I need to get my hands on this; especially after reading some of the reviews. I played it on the PS3, but never beat it. I ended up trading it in to amazon.

I wonder how long it'll be before we see a price drop? I don't know if I want to pay $60 or not.

I think its hilarous how this thread is mostly full of pc vs ps4/x1 posts. Its not hard to have the better version when the game isn't updated for one platform.

thatJohann

I'm the biggest fan of this game but I have to say:

Her new face model is gorgeous, BUT something's off. I'm not feeling the connection with her. She's lacking emotion in all the scenes. Like she got Botox on her forehead and her eyebrows don't move at all. Bugging me big time. Hope they patch it soon.

mephixto

Banned

PC:

ku-xlarge.gif

Xbox One/PS4:

ku-xlarge.gif

Ohh I like that, the wonders you get from 1 more year of production and more capable hardware.

I hope they update the PC version someday.

delta25

Banned
I think its hilarous how this thread is mostly full of pc vs ps4/x1 posts. Its not hard to have the better version when the game isn't updated for one platform.

This really isn't the case considering a few pages back before we started getting some legit comparisons showing the difference, most PC gamers were convinced that either the PC version was still better or the new added effects were not significant enough.

swcpig

Banned
I just hope the PC doesn't hold back the PS4 and X1 this gen.

I kid, I kid ;)

Honestly, after the smoke and my own worry about graphical abilities of both platforms it looks like we got a nice generation ahead of us. And any immediate parity or horse shoe/hand grenade nearness they can get to the PC os excellent news for games and their development.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It does not say 40 fps average for Xbone...

Read more than that handful of words, like the entire article, and you'll see I stupidly misused the term average.

TyrantII

TBF every post LTTP TR thread was shit on my master race for some reason. Apparently crow is served, but talking points were shifted to tessellation, MSAA and 120FPS.

/shrug

Top Bottom