• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

Shin-Ra

Black crush in the Kotaku PC shot. ;)

Does the camera adjust to the amount of light coming in to create such differences at the moment of capture?

edit: The top-end framerate comparison's a bit silly because the PS4 version would boost above 60 in simpler scenes too if the framerate wasn't capped at 60.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think its hilarous how this thread is mostly full of pc vs ps4/x1 posts. Its not hard to have the better version when the game isn't updated for one platform.

i dunno if you were following the previous threads but i'd argue that pc master race posts were what started this e-peen contest.

(i.e. lol...ps4 can't even do 60fps/1080p, oh it does 60fps? lol...no tesselation, etc.) :p

most of us (especially those potentially double dipping) just want to see the comparison because the next-gen console versions are obviously going to look better than the current-gen versions and we want to see if this is more than just a glorified PC port

I think its hilarous how this thread is mostly full of pc vs ps4/x1 posts. Its not hard to have the better version when the game isn't updated for one platform.
Does this bother you somehow?

I picked up the PS4 version; wow at how much 60fps and the extra particles/effects makes a difference. It's very impressive.

TyrantII

Honestly, after the smoke and my own worry about graphical abilities of both platforms it looks like we got a nice generation ahead of us. And any immediate parity or horse shoe/hand grenade nearness they can get to the PC os excellent news for games and their development.

Real time tech demo on hardware:

bmUploads_2013-06-11_3942_SORCERER_TAKE01_2010.jpg

This is the launch period. Things are looking good for 2-3 years in!

Don't get the PC saltiness either. More capable console hardware means PC can go further faster as well. Look how dumbed down Bioshock Infinite went from the E3 (bull)demo trailer to get it working on PS360. Goodbye linear-open skyrails, hello tiny arenas and terrible AI.

Just played the first 30minutes of the ps4 version and it's very nice. 60fps is such a step up from the ps3/360 version. Everything is just sharper and cleaner and runs so smooth. Can't wait to play some more

Edit: I hope they do the same with games like bioshock infinite and TLOU. Especially for those of us who don't own PC's and got the watered down versions of AAA games towards the end of the generation. Of course $60 is too much to pay for a game I've already finished. Next time I'll wait for a price drop

Seems likely I suppose, bit of a shame that Crystal Dynamic's videos imply they're working on all the engine improvements and such and not giving Nixxes any credit if that's the case. They do good work. Does leave out the Xbox One version though, although perhaps that could explain some of the performance discrepancies.

Edit: Actually, did Crystal Dynamics say somewhere they'd been working on the Definite Edition for the past year and planned to use the improvements for the next game or something of that nature?

I really like Nixxes PC versions of games. Deus Ex HR and Tomb Raider were very well done and I have Hitman Absolution but haven't played through it yet. Looking forward to their 2014 Unannounced project, I wonder/hope it will be their own game? Interestingly they mention Killzone Shadowfall on their news feed, did they work on it in some capacity?

Thread of shame. We get to see who bought it at full price :p

In my opinion for someone who hasn't played it before and is looking for a new game its worth full price, IMO.

Tux

I'm the biggest fan of this game but I have to say:

Her new face model is gorgeous, BUT something's off. I'm not feeling the connection with her. She's lacking emotion in all the scenes. Like she got Botox on her forehead and her eyebrows don't move at all. Bugging me big time. Hope they patch it soon.

I agree. It's the animations regarding her facial structure. I'm only 30 minutes into the game and I can say that the longer you play it the more details you start picking up in all the other improvements. Getting back to Lara, I do love her new eyes, and all the new independent objects on her body. But it's her jaw/lower lip that makes her emotions lean towards an uncanny valley effect. I think TyrantII mention it earlier that her jaw movies but her cheeks and rest of her face do not.

komorebi

quick gif:

5k0GXm.gif

PC: Lara
PS4/Xbone: Derpara

New Lara pic reminds me of Jami Gertz.

Jami_Gertz_31870_Medium.jpg

I still have to get to the PC version, its in my backlog. I feel like with all this shapeshifting I'm doubly out of the loop. I think its ridiculous they changed her face at all. There was no need. If anything save that for the sequel.

belmonkey

Ehh, because of this thread, I went from firmly defending the PC version to acknowledging that the PS4 version is, IMO, the better of the two. It's too bad that the new additions cannot be patched into the current PC version (unless as DLC), because there would be a storm coming from people paying $60 for the new version.

Skeff

Ehh, because of this thread, I went from firmly defending the PC version to acknowledging that the PS4 version is, IMO, the better of the two. It's too bad that the new additions cannot be patched into the current PC version (unless as DLC), because there would be a storm coming from people paying $60 for the new version.

I wouldn't bet against a PC port of the definitive version in a few months, of course it would still be full priced, because Square-Enix.

I wouldn't bet against a PC port of the definitive version in a few months, of course it would still be full priced, because Square-Enix.

If someone already has a PC and played the game in 1080p or above and 60fps then I don't think it would be worth it to buy the game again. For console gamers the definitive version is a huge leap but for PC I doubt it'll be a huge improvement

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I don't really think it has anything to do with that. 2K14 didn't get the improvements that the console versions got either. It probably just comes down to money, somebody in a suit thinks it costs them more to do the PC version of the definitive edition than the money they would recoup through new sales.

Tux

This really isn't the case considering a few pages back before we started getting some legit comparisons showing the difference, most PC gamers were convinced that either the PC version was still better or the new added effects were not significant enough.

Yep. It came in waves as more information was known. I wonder what will happen when IGN and Digital Foundry do even more game play analysis? :) By the way, the Kotaku comments on that article are on fire with PC rage accusing the author of not posting the best possible screen shots on Ultra. The predicable, "My PC version of the game looks better than what you posted…here's proof! Links image…."

Skeff

If someone already has a PC and played the game in 1080p or above and 60fps then I don't think it would be worth it to buy the game again. For console gamers the definitive version is a huge leap but for PC I doubt it'll be a huge improvement

I agree completely.

cripterion

100% this on pc not long ago so won't buy it just to have another game on console. Those that didn't play it the first time are in for a real treat though. And who knows, maybe with this re-release the multiplayer can get some traction this time.

Gurish

I don't get the obsession with the "average" FPS, if the PS4 most of the time reported to be running on 60 and i see ppl telling how smooth it feels and the X1 most of the time seems to be running on 30 and like kotaku said in their review, it doesn't feel as smooth than that's the bottom line.

One version feels mostly 60 (like all 60 FPS games on consoles) and the other one mostly feels like 30.

How does it help you that when you are in a small cave and nothing going on you get a few extra frames above 30 on the X1 (and even than it's not 60)? it's really silly, at the end of the day you are leaving with the impression that the game you just played is 30 anyway, those small moments doesn't help much unless you want to wave around with an "above 30" average without any context or much meaning.

GloveSlap

I really wish I wouldn't have bought this for 360 a few months back. I would have loved for the PS4 version to be my first play through. I still want to buy it, but I can't justify paying full price.

LanceX2

Banned
Guresh, your wrong. It seems the games are only 10-15 fps apart. It says when little is on the Xbox is 45fps.

when action against s higher the ps4 dips to 50~ while Xbox is 35~

Imo its nit a big deal and can be chalked up to devs imo. Not saying Xbox should match ps4 but I. This case its not much worse

Pwn

Guresh, your wrong. It seems the games are only 10-15 fps apart. It says when little is on the Xbox is 45fps.

Imo its nit a big deal and can be chalked up to devs imo. Not saying Xbox should match ps4 but I. This case its not much worse

So you've played both version.

Yuripaw

Banned
I played through the whole game on PC, and I never minded her face...I don't really understand why it needed to be changed. It looked real, and not overly glamorous like the new one.

Spazznid

Only thing I see that would really benefit the PC version is MAYBE lighting. Shadows are low res in both at the same spots, the "More" Particles... well I just don't see it. The new face looks derpy more times than it looks better. I guess I'd also like the nicer mud texture. and the Physics effected weapons. Other than that, I can downsample the one I've got, at a respectable framerate, no less.

Gurish

It was said that X1 is mostly on 30 and only when there is nothing going on and in a simple environment it can get up to 45, it was never suggested to be on average of 45, where did you get that from?

On PS4 it's mostly 60 but sometimes during heavy combat scenes it can dip a little to 50, but that's true for all 60 FPS games that are running on consoles, and still no one says that BF4 or COD are not 60...
The bottom line is how much smoother the experience most of the time, and the PS4 version is +30 FPS smoother most of the time.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

It sounds like 35fps vs 60fps is closer to typical.

Ora

Banned
So excited for this game!!!! Didn't get a chance to play it last gen. Went to coinstar today, got $72.10 in Amazon gift credit and bought the PS4 version. Really really pumped to finally experience this game :))))

Tux

How does it help you that when you are in a small cave and nothing going on you get a few extra frames above 30 on the X1 (and even than it's not 60)? it's really silly, at the end of the day you are leaving with the impression that the game you just played is 30 anyway, those small moments doesn't help much unless you want to wave around with an "above 30" average without any context or much meaning.

The 60 fps doesn't help you in those situations. The article that "bud(?)" wrote in which he was suggesting that 30 fps gives that "magical" feel is right in the sense that it offers the cinematic effect you'd find in movies. While that's a style that might be appropriate in immersion (24 fps look that movies use vs 60 fps that CNN uses), the 60 fps capability for games start to shine when you move into quick action areas where lots of things are going (explosions, grappling, shooting, punching). It really does make for a smoother experience.

This is not a technical outcome that you can quantify when playing the game. It's a smoothness and feel that you notice when the game demands a lot of action.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't want to derail this thread, but I'll reiterate what I was told.

* Both builds have an unlocked framerate, going up and down depending on what's on the screen.
* PlayStation 4 build apparently steers close to 60fps for much of the time, though does dip during certain sequences. I was told it stays well into the 50s basically all throughout.
* Xbox One build apparently goes up to 45fps, but this irregular and only in the most barebones, basic of scenes. I was told it stays in the 30s for most most part.
* I, like a dickhead, misused the term "average" in my article. I'm sorry. My fuck up. 30/60 are not technical averages of the game, and shouldn't be treated as such.
* We don't have concrete famerate values, and won't until someone measures them.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So excited for this game!!!! Didn't get a chance to play it last gen. Went to coinstar today, got $72.10 in Amazon gift credit and bought the PS4 version. Really really pumped to finally experience this game :))))

that must have been one fat piggy back lol

Grisby

Man, those tree's sure are swinging. Not sure about her face. It's like the Seinfeld thing, some shots look better while others don't.

Will check out when she drops her price.

Finally started playing and right now STILL just in the starting cave area….

…why?

…because, um… this game LOOKS INCREDIBLE!

Trojan X

Banned
Too much bull crap this in thread and that Kotaku comparison was bad, i hated it. Let me clear the air:

If you have a powerful PC then do not get the next gen version, get the PC version instead for it IS the ultimate version regardless of it being a year old. Do not worry about this definitive version at all, and don't let anyone else fool you. Your PC version is the best version, especially if you can output higher than 1080p with all effects to maximum, which makes the game looks insanely good (2560 x 1600 resolution and anything near that is bliss)!

If you do not have a powerful PC and you know dead set that the next gen machines are better than your rig then get the next gen version. Why? Well, due to the power of your rig, the next gen version of the game will perform and look better.

If you have the game already on the 360 or ps4 then do not spend $60 on the next gen version for it is an absolute rip off. Wait until you find it in the bargain bin or a good price drop because you ARE getting the same game. Only double dip if you really feel the need to replay the game countless times.

If you have both next gen machines then get the PS4 version for it is the best one out of the two.

If you have never played Tomb Raider before then based your decision on which one to get from the above points.

TyrantII

The 60 fps doesn't help you in those situations. The article that "bud(?)" wrote in which he was suggesting that 30 fps gives that "magical" feel is right in the sense that it offers the cinematic effect you'd find in movies. While that's a style that might be appropriate in immersion (24 fps look that movies use vs 60 fps that CNN uses), the 60 fps capability for games start to shine when you move into quick action areas where lots of things are going (explosions, grappling, shooting, punching). It really does make for a smoother experience.

This is not a technical outcome that you can quantify when playing the game. It's a smoothness and feel that you notice when the game demands a lot of action.

NOPE

Here's a single frame from a pan in POTC:

Until a single frame in a game can accurately do that, there's no such thing as a "cinematic effect" in a game. Further, the resources to do per pixel motion blur to replicate that would better be spent just rendering more frames per second for smoother motion.

Gurish

And from my understanding those moments are not very common and when it happens it's not a major dip, the "feel" is still smooth.
Don't forget that by this criteria there are no 60 FPS games on consoles at all besides arcade games and FORZA that are locked on 60, all other games that dips here and there are not considered 60 if you dismiss TR.

If you don't wanna cosider those games to be 60 that's fine, but TR on PS4 is still mostly 60 and it feels much smoother than mostly 30.

Trojan X

Banned
Finally started playing and right now STILL just in the starting cave area….

…why?

…because, um… this game LOOKS INCREDIBLE!

Good you are enjoying it.

Is this your first time playing the game? If not, please give us your impression in comparison to what version you played previously.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
kotaku claims Xbox hits 40-45 in non action while 35~ in. They state ps4 seems 50~ in action. Its not double the difference for sure

That's not what they claim at all.

Kotaku said:
On Xbox One, the game hangs at bit above 30fps and gets smoother if you pull in close to Lara in an enclosed space where it doesn't have to render lots of objects or long-distance detail.

viveks86

One thing is clear. This version comes REALLY close to some of the best PC shots of the game and is better in some other shots. That, in my opinion, is very impressive for a game ported by a studio I haven't heard of. Good job, Nixxes Software!

Gurish

I don't want to derail this thread, but I'll reiterate what I was told.

* Both builds have an unlocked framerate, going up and down depending on what's on the screen.
* PlayStation 4 build apparently steers close to 60fps for much of the time, though does dip during certain sequences. I was told it stays well into the 50s basically all throughout.
* Xbox One build apparently goes up to 45fps, but this irregular and only in the most barebones, basic of scenes. I was told it stays in the 30s for most most part.
* I, like a dickhead, misused the term "average" in my article. I'm sorry. My fuck up. 30/60 are not technical averages of the game, and shouldn't be treated as such.
* We don't have concrete famerate values, and won't until someone measures them.
Yup, i understood you completely, what i said still stands, the difference based on those points is significant if you care about FPS.

Tux

If you have the game already on the 360 or ps4[sic] then do not spend $60 on the next gen version for it is an absolute rip off.

Too late. Already bought. :p

By the way, the point of the Kotoku article talks about not just frame rates or textures. But also the character models and particle effects what were not coded into the PC version at all. So, it won't matter how powerful your computer is if the developers didn't include those effects into the game unless some patch is released.

kotaku claims Xbox hits 40-45 in non action while 35~ in. They state ps4 seems 50~ in action. Its not double the difference for sure

Man, you're a riot.
"When there's little going on, it's ~45 fps on x1".
"When there's action on ps4, it's ~50 fps".

See? No big deal.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Is your copy and paste broken or you just hoping no one else read it?

I might as well tell you what I see when I play it: On PS4, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition hangs at around 60fps a lot of the time, but dips down to what feels like 40 or 45 at some more complicated areas, like the shantytown and some areas where there's a lot of on-screen fire. On Xbox One, the game hangs at bit above 30fps and gets smoother if you pull in close to Lara in an enclosed space where it doesn't have to render lots of objects or long-distance detail.

That implies 60 which can drop to 45, vs 30 which can go up and conversely can drop lower, 20-25fps?.

So I'm playing on PS4 and the colors seems to be a bit washed out. Like there is an intentional desaturation (vs the PS3 version)

The brightness also seems to be a bit off.

All my other games look great (PS3, 360, PS4)

Top Bottom