• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Game Informer Info [Update 2: Multiplayer Jobs (Co-op/PvP) Post 892]

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
And out of nowhere, Tomb Raider manages to steal my attention... what the hell? It's been at least a decade since a TR announcement has genuinely sparked my interest. The Lara design looks great and sets a better tone going forward. Definite upgrade from her older iterations.

This new "survival" angle is totally working for me as well. Exploring a vast, hazardous open-world island as a vulnerable protagonist; rummaging for food, water, and other supplies along the way? Personally, that's a console experience I've been wishing on for a while.

Well, they said all the right things to get me hooked this early. Now, if only they can pull off these lofty concepts with a decent amount of polish, I'd be elated. Hoping for the best, CD.

Edgeward

I was already interested when I saw the leaked concept art, but that GI cover and info has me putting this as one of my top hotly anticipated games. I really love the design of Lara, doesn't scream sex object yet is very sexy.

And open world and no lock-on? It's like CD is going straight for my money.

ArjanN

Catalix said:
And out of nowhere, Tomb Raider manages to steal my attention... what the hell? It's been at least a decade since a TR announcement has genuinely sparked my interest. The Lara design looks great and sets a better tone going forward. Definite upgrade from her older iterations.

This new "survival" angle is totally working for me as well. Exploring a vast, hazardous open-world island as a vulnerable protagonist; rummaging for food, water, and other supplies along the way? Personally, that's a console experience I've been wishing on for a while.

Well, they said all the right things to get me hooked this early. Now, if only they can pull off these lofty concepts with a decent amount of polish, I'd be elated. Hoping for the best, CD.

The problem with surivial type games is that they need to give you the option to screw yourself by running out of supplies and modern games, especially console games, have been moving away from that kind of design.

And people who are only now rediscovering Tomb Raider need to go back and play the last 4 Cystal Dynamics TR games because they were all good games.

BowieZ

Banned
"Lara's careless use of the explosives cause a cave in. Sprinting toward the light that signifies salvation, Lara tumbles down a fissure in the collapsing pathway and must scramble up the steep path to escape. THE PLAYER IS IN CONTROL THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE ORDEAL frantically alternating between shoulder buttons to move up the incline, dodging falling boulders with button prompts and trying to find a safe path through the chaos with analog controls"
:/

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've never been much of a Tomb Raider fan but this sounds pretty promising. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

BowieZ said:
The two in-game shots from some leaked scans of GI look incredible; indeed, too good to be true.
Uncharted 2 looked just about that good so I'm hopeful those 2 pics are really in game.

But after seeing the two scans, new croft > old croft confirmed.

soldat7

LA12373-a

Could be the girlfriend of Marcus Fenix.

BowieZ said:

Fuck Fuck Fuck! What is wrong with these assholes? Do they really think this shit is cinematic? How is it cinematic when I'm staring at a 3x4 inch section of my screen looking for stupid ass button prompts instead of what is happening on screen?

QTE's are the stupidest damn thing to come to recent gaming. And they arent even skippable like traditional cutscenes. You have to play them every damn time you play the game for fucking ever.

Yoshiya

Hmmm, some comments in GI make it seem like this is a reboot of the entire franchise, not just the mainline games (old Lara to never appear again). It would be strange though to have the next downloadable game to completely break continuity with the first one, by having it feature the new Lara. That game was only successfully released a few months ago, now it doesn't seem to exist :/

Odd.

Salaadin

Yoshiya said:
Hmmm, some comments in GI make it seem like this is a reboot of the entire franchise, not just the mainline games (old Lara to never appear again). It would be strange though to have the next downloadable game to completely break continuity with the first one, by having it feature the new Lara. That game was only successfully released a few months ago, now it doesn't seem to exist :/

Odd.

Thats probably the reason for the name differences. This is a reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise. GoL is probably the start of the Lara Croft franchise.

I know it doesnt make any sense.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Salaadin said:
Thats probably the reason for the name differences. This is a reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise. GoL is probably the start of the Lara Croft franchise.

I just hope they kill off the "Lara Croft" thing and make it GoL into its own series, with some other faceman/woman lead. No reason to have two completely different versions of the same brand. As exciting as the new Tomb Raider news is, I want more games like LC:GOL (without Lara, so my mind can be at ease).

Yoshiya said:

Odd.
It is a reboot of the franchise.

Yoshiya

Salaadin said:

The way it was worded just makes it sound as if they are really determined to only have the old Lara exist in the past tense. Not that I mind, but it just seems incongruous so soon after GoL came out. You're probably right.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
ArjanN said:
The problem with surivial type games is that they need to give you the option to screw yourself by running out of supplies and modern games, especially console games, have been moving away from that kind of design.

And people who are only now rediscovering Tomb Raider need to go back and play the last 4 Cystal Dynamics TR games because they were all good games.
I don't consider that a problem at all. Potentially fucking yourself over is what makes survival gameplay meaningful. People accustomed to more forgiving difficulty trends in modern gaming would just need to toughen up a bit.

Besides, there's a good chance the survival mechanics won't be as rigorous or punishing as some of you are fearing. It all depends on how CD decide to implement the features. Minor levels of resource management can be fun, as long as it's done intuitively.

It can only help the immersion factor. It doesn't have to be super difficult or intrusive, but at least it should have some level of impact on the adventure you'll be experiencing.

Freeroaming could go either way. I love the new direction. I'm just worried about two things:

1) This could go heavy on the action front like Uncharted, and therefore get rid of the awesome puzzle/platforming gameplay that the series is known for
2) If it is a success, will they continue making Tomb Raider games survival horror themed and skip out on her world adventures entirely?

Pure speculation on my part, because my friend's cousin's parrot doesn't work at Crystal Dynamics. I just hope I'm dead wrong though.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Salaadin said:

I think that the idea is for the new Lara to exist in her own continuity and brand name, with old Lara relegated to settings where having a posh british accent and a sense of invincibility makes more sense.

UrbanRats

One thing i loved about the old TRs and Anniversary was that you didn't have the costant chatting in your ear.
Hated this part of Legend/Underworld, cause it totally drain from the sense of being alone in an ancient tomb, where nobody has been in, for centuries.
I don't wanna hear lame jokes or useless advices, goddamit.

Sickboy007 said:
The graphics in the scans look seriously amazing.

It's amazing to see how far graphics have come in open world games. I remember last gen you basically accepted that an open world game wasn't going to look good. And now current gen open world titles are even able to stand up to linear titles.

UrbanRats said:
One thing i loved about the old TRs and Anniversary was that you didn't have the costant chatting in your ear.
Hated this part of Legend/Underworld, cause it totally drain from the sense of being alone in an ancient tomb, where nobody has been in, for centuries.
I don't wanna hear lame jokes or useless advices, goddamit.

Same. I didnt like Legend at all and really didnt care much for Underworld either. Anniversary was a great game though.

Yeah you missed the guy that got banned for posting scans in this thread. They were too blurry to really see anything anyway.

seady

Wow, I can't believe my issue of Game Informer arrived in my mail today already.

And yes, those Tomb Raider images look gorgeous. The character model of Lara looks very nice.

DaBuddaDa

I've seen the scans. I don't think any of it is in-game, they look like rendered glamorshots. This is judging from blurry scans.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Unless Eidos finally learned that taking crappy low-rez console shots like Deus Ex is a bad idea and started using PC as lead platform, I'm going with "not in-game" as well.

DaBuddaDa said:
I've seen the scans. I don't think any of it is in-game, they look like rendered glamorshots. This is judging from blurry scans.

They're definitely not renders as the Lara model in those shots aren't anywhere near the detail of the renders we've seen from GI.

Max

I am not Max
Just googled the scans, looks really good. People shouldn't be scanning with their 10 year old scanners though.

StuBurns

Banned
Although I've played them all (except the XBLA one) this is the first I'm actually excited about since AoD. The scans aren't great quality, but what is there looks pretty cool to me. This is what the series needed and deserved. When it first came out it really was such an ambitious project, there was nothing like it, it fell into B-tier quickly and shelf filler not long after, but it's an IP that means a lot to many people, myself included, and to have a potentially great entry is very exciting.

I can't wait to see it.

SolidSnakex said:
It's amazing to see how far graphics have come in open world games. I remember last gen you basically accepted that an open world game wasn't going to look good. And now current gen open world titles are even able to stand up to linear titles.

I actually thought for a moment they were using the Avalanche engine which is goddamn incredible, but they're not under the Eidos/SE umbrella.

ArjanN

Catalix said:
I don't consider that a problem at all. Potentially fucking yourself over is what makes survival gameplay meaningful. People accustomed to more forgiving difficulty trends in modern gaming would just need to toughen up a bit.

Besides, there's a good chance the survival mechanics won't be as rigorous or punishing as some of you are fearing. It all depends on how CD decide to implement the features. Minor levels of resource management can be fun, as long as it's done intuitively.

It can only help the immersion factor. It doesn't have to be super difficult or intrusive, but at least it should have some level of impact on the adventure you'll be experiencing.

It's a problem because I think there's only a niche audience for that kind of design on consoles. And yes, survival should be hard to make it meaningful, but it probably won't.

CincyRaz

Neo Member
This all reminds me of Lost in Blue. I liked how unique it was. Remember starting a fire? Perhaps Lara will support some waggle/kinect survival skills?
lostinblue_4385.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sickboy007 said:
I actually thought for a moment they were using the Avalanche engine which is goddamn incredible, but they're not under the Eidos/SE umbrella.
Their proprietary engine that they built is just as good.

Top Bottom