• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomonobu Itagaki hates you. Yes, YOU! (Unless you're a fan...)

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
From September 04' issue of Play magazine:

"Well, I do listen to the voice of my fans. I make my game the way I think it should be done. What people like about it, don't like about it, I know what they're saying. But I also know exactly how I wanted to make the game. When I approach the next project, I don't simply go with what others are telling me to do, yet I am absorbing and listening to valid observations. I actually seperate gamers into two groups: my fans and other gamers. I don't care what gamers have to say; I only listen to my fans."

- Tomonobu Itagaki, on gaming design philosophy and DOA: Ultimate.

Yep, prickism +1000.

Fularu

Banned
Then I'd like to know why, after a tecmo conducted poll, Ninja Gaiden ended on the xbox when the GC ranked first and the PS2 second?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
heh, there was an old saying that talked about something like this. i forget what it was though.

skip

nothing wrong with custom-fitting your fans with what they want, as opposed to throwing in stealth/swimming/driving levels that focus group A thought might be "cool."

and if I bold this part, instead:

"Well, I do listen to the voice of my fans. I make my game the way I think it should be done. What people like about it, don't like about it, I know what they're saying. But I also know exactly how I wanted to make the game. When I approach the next project, I don't simply go with what others are telling me to do, yet I am absorbing and listening to valid observations. I actually seperate gamers into two groups: my fans and other gamers. I don't care what gamers have to say; I only listen to my fans."

...he seems more reasonable.

Dave Long

Banned
Fularu said:
Then I'd like to know why, after a tecmo conducted poll, Ninja Gaiden ended on the xbox when the GC ranked first and the PS2 second?

Heh... great point.

I think Itagaki really doesn't listen to ANYONE and often just talks out his anus but that's just me.

He's my favorite voice in gaming today. I always enjoy reading his interviews. Entertainment value alone makes them worth it. I like his games too, so hey it's a win win for me.

hirokazu

Fularu said:

because the internet voters did not purchase DOA3/DOAX on Xbox and thus are not his fans :p

I seriously don't like Itagaki very much...The DOA3 is cool...I didn't like Gaiden...Don't get me started on DOAXBV...I don't like the way he acts in most interviews, and the things he says...Maybe if his DS game pulls through, I'll gain some more respect.

Subitai

Hmm, he kinda sounds like...Reggie.

I'm sure sentiments about Itagaki's sentiments would be different from fanboys from both sides if he did do what the poll said and put NG on GCN.

sp0rsk said:
heh, there was an old saying that talked about something like this. i forget what it was though.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you?

People in glass houses shouln't throw bricks?

Do not hold everything as gold which shines like gold?

Don't burn your bridges behind you?

What? :p

Laurent

ITAGAKI-EMULATOR

Try it... You'll love it!™

Tellaerin

Kumiko Nikaido said:
From September 04' issue of Play magazine:

- Tomonobu Itagaki, on gaming design philosophy and DOA: Ultimate.

Yep, prickism +1000.

If GAF's any indication, you can replace 'other gamers' in that quote with 'Itagaki hataz'. :p Then it becomes easy to understand just where he's coming from. :p

Mrbob

Wow. Since when has it been that the Sega fanbase has been vocal against Team Ninja lately. Is it because Team Ninja has taken the ball and ran with it while Sega has done nothing but fumble it around?

Teddman

homie_itagaki.jpg

Itagaki likes me, but we both hate y'all.

border

Holy shit, people are still clinging to that stupid web poll from like 3 years ago? Even though it's a totally skewed polling method and was ridiculously easy to cheat? A new low for fanboyism?

Meier

Itagaki.jpg

Taken after the Microsoft press conference at E3 -- you decide which individual has the worse complexion

Tellaerin

nubbe said:
Larger boobs please! I love your games! tee hee \=^.^=/

Not me. I prefer fighting games where you have to spend forty hours practicing before you're qualified to throw your first punch in vs. mode, and would much rather see more developers include 'realistically-proportioned' female characters who could pass for males in their games. That makes me 'teh h4rdc0r3', you see. :p

Shinobi

Fularu said:

What makes you think he had anything to do with that meaningless poll?

Anyway, nothing wrong with his rationale...most companies that are successful tend to operate this way, so big deal.

I don't see much of a problem with Itagaki. Man says what's on his mind instead of giving out some candy coated bullshit PR speak like most of the industry lemmings.

Of course outside of XBox he's ruffled the feathers of all the fanboy camps so far (Sega fans when DOA2 was ported to PS2 in two months and said the game used up virtually all of DC's power, Sony fans when he said DOA3 wasn't possible on PS2, and Nintendo fans for going against some stupid company poll and throwing NG on XBox instead of Cube), and I'm sure the XBox camp will feel slighted if PS3 becomes the apple of his eye instead of XBox 2. But fuck those camps anyway.

That people who apparantely have no time for him choose to spend copious amounts of time deciphering every fucking thing he's ever said in his interviews is probably a credit to him. It means what he says is actually interesting, which again is far more then can be said for most of the industry sheep.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Shinobi said:

Anyway, nothing wrong with his rationale...most companies that are successful tend to operate this way, so big deal.

I don't see much of a problem with Itagaki. Man says what's on his mind instead of giving out some candy coated bullshit PR speak like most of the industry lemmings.

Of course outside of XBox he's ruffled the feathers of all the fanboy camps so far (Sega fans when DOA2 was ported to PS2 in two months and said the game used up virtually all of DC's power, Sony fans when he said DOA3 wasn't possible on PS2, and Nintendo fans for going against some stupid company poll and throwing NG on XBox instead of Cube), and I'm sure the XBox camp will feel slighted if PS3 becomes the apple of his eye instead of XBox 2. But fuck those camps anyway.

That people who apparantely have no time for him choose to spend copious amounts of time deciphering every fucking thing he's ever said in his interviews is probably a credit to him. It means what he says is actually interesting, which again is far more then can be said for most of the industry sheep.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

Because he only listens to his fans, and he is his own biggest fan therefor he only listens to himself.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
It's also great fun to simply ignore the least significant game developer in Japan. *

* (Based on Japanese game sales.)

Shinobi said:

Damn...exactly.

" and I'm sure the XBox camp will feel slighted if PS3 becomes the apple of his eye instead of XBox 2."

This won't happen since as the past has shown, Sony fans don't want his games. :p

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Teddman said:
homie_itagaki.jpg

Itagaki likes me, but we both hate y'all.

Wow your girlfriend is fine... oh wait... that's a guy... oh yeah he hates us at Gaming Age.. I give that pic a C-

Shinobi

SolidSnakex said:
" and I'm sure the XBox camp will feel slighted if PS3 becomes the apple of his eye instead of XBox 2."

This won't happen since as the past has shown, Sony fans don't want his games. :p

Eh...if he throws Ninja Gaiden 2 on there, they'll buy it.

Rhage

Blackace said:
Wow your girlfriend is fine... oh wait... that's a guy... oh yeah he hates us at Gaming Age.. I give that pic a C-
Heh, I thought it was his girlfriend at first glance too. Didn't even give it a second thought until your comment.

Meier said:
Itagaki.jpg

Taken after the Microsoft press conference at E3 -- you decide which individual has the worse complexion

/puke

he is a funny guy, does the chip on his shoulder come from being a yellow-pockmarked skeleton?
ykow, the same way that bald men are mad at the world?

Meier

Blackace said:

Ahaha, the picture I took at E3 above was outside the bathroom. I totally thought a chick had walked in from afar and then I noticed the pockmarks on the face and was like "That's definitely Itagaki."

Top Bottom