• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomonobu Itagaki Interview talks NG2, Sigma wasn't good, GTA and more

TheOddOne

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=189396

Whole interview is full of win.

From our little one-on-one with Tomonobu Itagaki last week, it looks like the man mainly responsible for the DOA and Ninja Gadien series is at a crossroads in his career.

He told us there'll be no more Ninja Gaiden games. Or Dead Or Alive beat-'em-ups. So what's next for the outspoken Japanese dev? From what he's said, even he doesn't know yet...

Please tell us that the stories of Ninja Gaiden II being the last game in the series EVER aren't true!

Tomonobu Itagaki: Ha, I've done everything I wanted to accomplish with this franchise and all of my closest colleagues are satisfied and agree that we've done as much as we can with it.

What did you think of the PS3 game Ninja Gaiden: Sigma? I'm told you won't even sign copies of the game...?

Itagaki: It was no good.

Why's that? I thought it was pretty good.

Itagaki: All you need to do is play Ninja Gaiden II and then try and play Sigma afterwards and you'll see why.

Despite the fact that it's on a 'next-generation' console there's no evolution whatsoever. That was made not by me, but one of my sub-ordinates who basically tried to copy the success of Ninja Gaiden.

Does that mean we'll never see NGII on PS3?

Itagaki: No because it's a 360 exclusive.

But Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden: Black were Xbox exclusives at the time...

Itagaki: We've announced it as an Xbox 360 exclusive, but I don't own Tecmo the company. But if that were to ever happen it would be a loss of face for everyone involved.

As the NG series is at an end then, what's your favourite memory of the series?

Itagaki: I think it's probably the Attract mode which you might have seen when you leave the screen on without doing anything. It shows a ninja graveyard. That's my most memorable moment.

What would you like the series to be remembered for?

Itagaki: I'd like to be remembered as the black sheep of game design.

So what's next for Dead or Alive?

Itagaki: This is another area that me and my closest colleagues all agree that we were able to achieve the definitive fighting game with DOA4. So we're not looking to extend the series at this point.

What's next then? Where do you go from here?

Itagaki: I'd like to make a brand new action game. Something that no one's ever seen before.

And ideas on what that might be? You're going to take some time off first though, right?

Itagaki: Yes, I'm going to take a few months off before I really get into it. But regardless of what it is I think you'll definitely see violence as a component of that franchise as well.

So the whole 'violence in games' issue doesn't worry you then?

Itagaki: No, it does not bother me because we are following all of the rules in terms of ratings. And I believe we're following morality as well in only showing violence between combatants. I think the 'violence issue' is something that is within each individual who plays the game.

I'm not shallow enough to tell people that they shouldn't be concerned with violence and I don't want to put words in other people's mouths. I just know that I have to follow the ratings and make sure it's not going to offend anybody. I feel there is no issue with that.

If I had any complaints about government regulations it would be the fact that Tokyo recently outlawed smoking in taxi cabs. That's a bigger problem for me right now.

What are your thoughts on Grand Theft Auto IV?

Itagaki: I think it's made extremely well and is a fun game. People always use that as an example of violence in games. I don't think there's anyone who takes their job as seriously as the guys who make that game. You only have to look at all the detail in there.

Worthy of being the biggest game of all time?

Itagaki: I think it's an important argument to make that; how many billions of people in the world are there? And it sold a few million copies. In the overall scheme of things it's not a huge deal.

But it is the biggest entertainment launch ever. And that's a fact. Do you think it's worthy of that headline?

Itagaki: I don't want you to think I'm being cynical, or that I'm trying to dodge the question or anything, but I don't think of those things like that. As far as me thinking it's worthy, I don't have a particular opinion. I mean it sold, people bought it. That's the reality of it.

PR: Time's up.

Itagaki: How did you like the content of the answers?

CVG: Yeah, very good. Better than I thought they'd be through an interpreter.

Itagaki: Laughs

PhatSaqs

Banned
Awesome!

presto-hot-air-popcorn-maker.jpg

Haunted

:O

Why's that? I thought it was pretty good.

Itagaki: All you need to do is play Ninja Gaiden II and then try and play Sigma afterwards and you'll see why.

Despite the fact that it's on a 'next-generation' console there's no evolution whatsoever. That was made not by me, but one of my sub-ordinates who basically tried to copy the success of Ninja Gaiden.
:bow Itagaki. Undisputed king of trashtalking in interviews.

Itagaki: We've announced it as an Xbox 360 exclusive, but I don't own Tecmo the company. But if that were to ever happen it would be a loss of face for everyone involved.

He'll cut off his own head I suppose. :lol

Itagaki: This is another area that me and my closest colleagues all agree that we were able to achieve the definitive fighting game with DOA4. So we're not looking to extend the series at this point.

I think it's pretty refreshing for a dev to say that a series has run its course.

Itagaki: I'd like to make a brand new action game. Something that no one's ever seen before.

And ideas on what that might be? You're going to take some time off first though, right?

Itagaki: Yes, I'm going to take a few months off before I really get into it. But regardless of what it is I think you'll definitely see violence as a component of that franchise as well.

Nice. :D

Crisis

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
Way to shit on everyone who worked on NGS

Pretty much.

Has anyone told him that it was supposed to be Ninja Gaiden but in HD?

pr0cs

I'm not really a fan of his games but as a designer and a character I like his no bullshit response to questions.

Kyoufu

despite the fact that it's on a 'next-generation' console there's no evolution whatsoever. That was made not by me, but one of my sub-ordinates who basically tried to copy the success of Ninja Gaiden.

Holy shit :lol I wonder what his subordinate thinks of that?

ymmv

Banned
U K Narayan said:
He's right, though. He really nailed it with that singular statement.

Why? NGS was exactly what it set out to be: a HD version of the original Ninja Gaiden. Nothing more, nothing less. Itagaki comes off like an arrogant prick by bashing his colleagues for no good reason, just because he hates Sony and doesn't want his games on Sony consoles for some reason.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Stupid Itagaki can't compare a four years old game to a new one. Because we're talking about gameplay right?

:lol :lol :lol

threw Hayashi under the bus, then basically said if NGII is on PS3, then it's on Tecmo!

even his own subordinates and employer are not safe from his tongue!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The definitive fighting game eh? Pardon me, I have to excuse myself for a fit of uncontrollable laughter.

ymmv said:
Why? NGS was exactly what it set out to be: a HD version of the original Ninja Gaiden. Nothing more, nothing less.
And yet, there are many issues with the game that prevent it from being the definitive version of Ninja Gaiden. Any well seasoned player of the games is going to tell you this.

I do agree that he shouldn't be comparing Ninja Gaiden II to Ninja Gaiden Sigma, because that's just unfair. That's like someone saying that Resident Evil 4 is better than Resident Evil 3, just because. Ridiculous.

Just sounds like he didn't see the point of Sigma being on a next-gen console without using the additional available power properly and that Ninja Gaiden II actually does do that.

Speevy

Banned
U K Narayan said:
And yet, there are many issues with the game that prevent it from being the definitive version of Ninja Gaiden. Any well seasoned player of the games is going to tell you this.

What's wrong with NGS?

Monocle

I'm no fan of Itagaki, but I couldn't help but find that interview entertaining. It's interesting that he feels the Ninja Gaiden series should end with NG2. I would have expected at least one more sequel to round it out as a proper trilogy. It's also interesting he thinks the DOA series has run its course. I expect he'll eventually return to it, but in the meantime I hope he'll release that patch/update for DOA4 that he mentions occasionally. According to an interview on DOACentral it's still on the back burner.

Oni Jazar's right about TI's comments regarding Sigma. That's a hell of a way to disparage a lot of talented people.

Crisis said:
Has anyone told him that it was supposed to be Ninja Gaiden but in HD?

Exactly, thats what I was expecting when I bought Sigma and thats exactly what I got. Itagaki might not appreciate the effort that went in to porting NG to the PS3, but I certainly do and thoroughly enjoyed the game for the 3rd time. I hope Tecmo go ahead and port NG2 to the PS3 at somepoint anyways, even if Itagaki isn't involved in the slightest.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
U K Narayan said:
He's right, though. He really nailed it with that singular statement.
No, he didn't, it's exactly like the previous one just prettier and with a couple extras.
Same game.

EDIT: Oh, for SEASONED players. Haha.

So does this mean Dead or Alive: Code Chronos is no longer in works?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If I had any complaints about government regulations it would be the fact that Tokyo recently outlawed smoking in taxi cabs. That's a bigger problem for me right now.

hahahaha what a fucking rock star

Speevy

Banned
Itagaki: Virtua Fighter 5 bombed, right? Yeah, so there's no point in making another fighting game. We win.

borsdy

Banned
Ninja99 said:
It's also interesting he thinks the DOA series has run its course. I expect he'll eventually return to it, but in the meantime I hope he'll release that patch/update for DOA4 that he mentions occasionally. According to an interview on DOACentral it's still on the back burner.
Was there anything significant about this supposed update?

Speevy

Banned
LiK said:
the only neg is the camera. they never fixed it from the original versions.

That's not really a negative, just a minor adjustment on the player's part. I don't think people realize how badly games with truly terrible cameras are penalized in reviews. This really isn't a big issue among the game's players.

Emiru

Banned
Speevy said:
Itagaki: Virtua Fighter 5 bombed, right? Yeah, so there's no point in making another fighting game. We win.
He doesnt hate VF he hates Tekken with good reason too, it sucks.

I think he was probably against Ninja Gaiden Sigma from the day he heard it was being made. The fact that he didn't speak out against it until now shows an unusually high level of restraint from our trash talking rockstar developer.

Always worth reading an Itagaki interview, always.

Twig

Banned
ymmv said:
Why? NGS was exactly what it set out to be: a HD version of the original Ninja Gaiden. Nothing more, nothing less. Itagaki comes off like an arrogant prick by bashing his colleagues for no good reason, just because he hates Sony and doesn't want his games on Sony consoles for some reason.
I won't pretend to know Japanese culture enough to state this as fact, but it's my understanding that it's not nearly as big a deal to call someone out like that as it is in the Western business world.

Besides, he said his "subordinate" handled NGS. His bitch, in other words. Don't mess.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Wow thats a terrible thing to say (regarding Sigma). For one thing, he totally slagged one of his employees (actually the entire staff of that game) in public. For another thing, does the phrase "buck stops here" exist in Japanese? If he's the boss, it's his problem. I usually like Itagaki's no-BS style but that crossed the line.

Speevy

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Pretty much. It really means nothing for the average player.

I have beaten Ninja Gaiden Black 5 times, and I've completed every single mission under every difficulty.

LiK

Speevy said:
That's not really a negative, just a minor adjustment on the player's part. I don't think people realize how badly games with truly terrible cameras are penalized in reviews. This really isn't a big issue among the game's players.

it was still pretty bad. like when it gets stuck during some indoor sections. i wish the God of War camera guys were contracted to work on it. i hope NG2 fixes those problems.

WrikaWrek said:
Take it easy Ps3 fans. He wasn't trashing you people, or the Ps3.

that's true. he only talked about Sigma. it wouldn't have mattered what system it was on.

wowfactor

Banned
I've done everything I wanted to accomplish with this franchise and all of my closest colleagues are satisfied and agree that we've done as much as we can with it.
me and my closest colleagues all agree that we were able to achieve the definitive fighting game with DOA4. So we're not looking to extend the series at this point.

So NGII is as good of an upgrade as DOA4.

Top Bottom