• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tons of Japanese devs share thoughts about the Switch presentation and Switch itself

No, they didn't specify games. I was going to go back through my youtube history to see exactly what was said, but I stopped after I noticed all the videos were an hour plus in length. All I know is that I watched a bunch of videos, and in some of them the comment was made that HD rumble was very weak (in feel) compared to other rumble in other controllers. I will say I watched video impressions from Gamespot, IGN, Polygon, Giant Bomb, Ghostrobo, Kinda Funny, and Easy Allies. But as you said, it could just be that its supposed to be more subtle. All I know is, I'm not all that interested in it. To people calling me a liar, get a life. Why would anyone make something like this up? It's just dumb.

I haven't listened to the impressions from all those guys but Easy Allies actually loved it, Bloodworth gave some really in depth and solid impressions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbMBep3RwAk&feature=youtu.be&t=9m57s

Maxinas

No, they didn't specify games. I was going to go back through my youtube history to see exactly what was said, but I stopped after I noticed all the videos were an hour plus in length. All I know is that I watched a bunch of videos, and in some of them the comment was made that HD rumble was very weak (in feel) compared to other rumble in other controllers. I will say I watched video impressions from Gamespot, IGN, Polygon, Giant Bomb, Ghostrobo, Kinda Funny, and Easy Allies. But as you said, it could just be that its supposed to be more subtle. All I know is, I'm not all that interested in it. To people calling me a liar, get a life. Why would anyone make something like this up? It's just dumb.

The overall majority of individuals who had hands-on experience with the Switch and Joycons have said HD Rumble is legit, but at the current time only a few games that were demoed actually took full advantage of the feature. Maybe you aren't a liar, but you're in a minority stating that HD Rumble is a weak feature.

KdylanR92

Why is HD rumble a selling point? I can't think of any games I play where rumble factors into my enjoyment of the game.

I'm a bit confused by this, there are official statements saying it doesn't but people who have tried it say it does in subtle places. You're probably right specifying retail copies, they may have enabled a few small elements just to demo the system at the event.

Aonuma said it wont be in the game. RMC did said he felt bubbles and another said it while walking on the stairs or whatever (During the reveal week) but, according to Aonuma it doesnt have it. Cant remember why maybe parity with Wii U version feature wise idk.

Why is HD rumble a selling point? I can't think of any games I play where rumble factors into my enjoyment of the game.

Because it's not just rumble. It can change how you play a game. Simulate force when you move the controller so it feels like you're physically pushing against objects and stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbMBep3RwAk&feature=youtu.be&t=9m57s
Have a listen to the Easy Allies video that I linked above, when Bloodworth talks about the marbles game in 1 2 Switch HD rumble made sense to me.

Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 also sounds interesting
"On the Switch, Dragon Quest Heroes I & II will make use of the system's HD Rumble, which will allow you vibration from the Joy-Con when slashing enemies, and different enemies will feel different when hit. For example, a slime will have a more jelly-like feeling, while attacking a Golem will cause the controllers to vibrate as if striking solid rock."

Seems that the next Fatal Frame will be there once again, as teased a bit in the past :)

Oooh I hope they use the same control scheme from Maiden of Blackwater, using the gamepad as a camera was brilliant. I'm not ready for horror games with HD Rumble, sounds terrifying.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I feel a little vindicated seeing all of these devs excited about the HD rumble. During the live presentation, I was really intrigued with the concept, and was surprised to hop on GAF later and see so many mocking or dismissing it.

Same. It's why I shut it off. All rumble means to me is reduced battery times.

I don't think you quite understand what HD Rumble is, it isn't a simple buzz, it simulates real textures. In 1 2 Switch there's a mini game where you have to guess how many marbles are inside the joy-con. You use gyro to move the marbles around and you can actually feel the individual marbles.
I feel a little vindicated seeing all of these devs excited about the HD rumble. During the live presentation, I was really intrigued with the concept, and was surprised to hop on GAF later and see so many mocking or dismissing it.

I think people were mocking it because the ice cubes in a glass example didn't sound believable, hands on impressions have really turned HD rumble around.

jmizzal

They are all praising HD rumble, must be amazing, cant wait to try it

also they are saying the price is low based on the tech in the system

These are people who know things, unlike people saying its too expensive that dont have inside knowledge

Aonuma said it wont be in the game. RMC did said he felt bubbles and another said it while walking on the stairs or whatever (During the reveal week) but, according to Aonuma it doesnt have it. Cant remember why maybe parity with Wii U version feature wise idk.
Maybe Aonuma is saying is that they are not using the full capabilities of it. Feeling bubbles, for example, is probably something even the Wii U's rumble can do, but the Joycons are naturally better at implementing that feeling.

Maybe Aonuma is saying is that they are not using the full capabilities of it. Feeling bubbles, for example, is probably something even the Wii U's rumble can do, but the Joycons are naturally better at implementing that feeling.
This is how HD rumble works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_6rMa9_UvQ

I'm pretty sure even simple textures can be inputted with relative ease, like bubbles.

Demonstration begins around 2 minutes in.

No the Wii U wont be able to simulate bubbles. Idk if yall got a iphone 7? But it has some kind of HD Rumble in it.

For instance when you drag the taskbar window thingy down from the top and let it hit the bottom of the phone screen it feel like something hit the bottom of the screen like a window being dragged down

Sounds like it's all about the gimmicks again.

HD rumble sounds like as much fun as the "Blind Haunted House" game where you stick you hand in a box and feel the "eyeballs" (peeled grapes), "brains" (cauliflower and cottage cheese), and "guts" (spaghetti).

1-2 Switch is going to wear out the novelty all on its own. Anyone else chasing HD rumble as the selling point of their game has a bomb on their hands.

HD rumble sounds like as much fun as the "Blind Haunted House" game where you stick you hand in a box and feel the "eyeballs" (peeled grapes), "brains" (cauliflower and cottage cheese), and "guts" (spaghetti).

1-2 Switch is going to wear out the novelty all on its own. Anyone else chasing HD rumble as the selling point of their game has a bomb on their hands.

I think you're right about 1 2 Switch being a novelty but I disagree about your opinion on HD rumble. Enhancements in feel are as important as enhancements in image and sound quality, probably even more so.

Irobot82

Gimmicks made the Wii the leader of it's console generation.

Zedark

It's a good question. It's hard to convey via a video, since it is a sensation, and that can be just right or can feel off. Impressions generally tell us it is convincing, but we will see when more people get their hands on it. The idea is that the rumble is so advanced that you can simulate actual sensations like slashing through a jelly or hitting a hard wall with your weapon. How real it is can only be decided when it is actually implemented in a game. For that, Dragon Quest Heroes should be interesting as it implements it for different feelings.
NIER director got his memories erased by the Switch
Switch internal memory failure confirmed, I guess. Nintendo fucked up even harder.
/s

Air

Banned
Surprised at devs saying it's cheap. While one if my guesses for the console was $300, that doesn't really strike me as cheap. That said, there is a lot of tech in there so I'm not too angry

udivision

It's not a selling point at all.
You'll never see it mentioned in any commercial.

But as a developer, it's probably something cool to work with, since rumble has stagnated fro some time.

Holy fuck...

Imagine feeling the reload
lhqrr6p0iwindsyndvah.gif

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

That's what you take of it, reading these super positive hands-on impressions from talented Japanese devs?

Cerium

Capcom – Ryozo Tsujimoto (Monster Hunter series producer)

THOUGHTS ON PRESENTATION

I was surprised at how quickly they announced the release date and price. This presentation was much different from how they usually do them. They carefully explained each of the Switch’s features one by one. I was impressed by everyone’s acting abilities as well.

INTERESTING ASPECTS OF SWITCH

There’s a lot of them, but personally I’m interested in the vibration. I didn’t think it was possible to enhance vibration features any further.
I wonder what this guy is up to.

Zedark

I don't agree. HD rumble is, in contrast to the Wii's motion controls and the WiiU's tablet, just an addition on the side that devs can use to enhance their game, but don't have to: it does not require them to alter their game development process for it, and I don't think you will see any games simulating what 1-2-Switch does: people can implement this feature into their already existing games instead (as we know from the fact that Dragon Quest Heroes I will feature it as well). In that sense I don't think you can say it is about the gimmicks again.

Whether it will succeed in convincing people that they are actually feeling something is something we have to wait and see on. It could be promises from visionaries that don't work as well in reality, but at least it doesn't influence game design philosophies.

But as a developer, it's probably something cool to work with, since rumble has stagnated fro some time.
I definitely agree that HD rumble won't sell systems: the most it will do, I think, is, provided it works as well as people say it does, get some people to purchase a Switch version of a game over another version (or in addition to another version).

Nightbird

Yeah, i have a feeling HD Rumble is the kind of thing everyone will just judge as a gimmick, but will turn out to be a new standard.

Like motion controls. Everyone complained how it was a gimmick in the Wii, and yet, accelerometers are standard in every controller.

I can see the same thing happen with HD Rumble

Eccocid

Seriously most of the people will probably turn off rumble to keep battery longer and HD rumble is one of the most ridiculous marketing terms i have ever heard of.

Eolz

Seriously most of the people will probably turn off rumble to keep battery longer and HD rumble is one of the most ridiculous marketing terms i have ever heard of.

HD Rumble is indeed a marketing term, but that's because talking about haptic technology for a mainstream audience is hard.
That's a real technology, not some marketing term (like blast processing) in this case.

edit: funny to see NIS is in just because it's replacing the Vita lol.

heringer

Why are some people bothered by HD rumble? It's not like it's going to make the games worse guys. Worst case scenario you won't bother with it.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I have never in my life heard of people turning off the vibration in their controllers. Fucking bizarre complaints in here. Not surprised though to see gamers trying to explain why developers are full of shit...

Excited to see how well-received the new technology is and it's awesome to see it confirmed to be utilized in at least one of the announced third-party releases. I think with the development tools the Nintendo purchased from whatever company it was that announced their partnership, it might actually be relatively easy to implement. This isn't VR where you have to drastically change the design of your game to accommodate.

Gimmicks made the Wii the leader of it's console generation.

A great game that was based on a gimmick did that. No one bought a Wii thinking "Waggle!". They bought it for Wii Sports. Notice how well the Wii U did without a game to sell its gimmick.

I don't agree. HD rumble is, in contrast to the Wii's motion controls and the WiiU's tablet, just an addition on the side that devs can use to enhance their game, but don't have to: it does not require them to alter their game development process for it, and I don't think you will see any games simulating what 1-2-Switch does: people can implement this feature into their already existing games instead (as we know from the fact that Dragon Quest Heroes I will feature it as well). In that sense I don't think you can say it is about the gimmicks again.

Whether it will succeed in convincing people that they are actually feeling something is something we have to wait and see on. It could be promises from visionaries that don't work as well in reality, but at least it doesn't influence game design philosophies.

I hope you're right. If the Switch succeeds on a gimmick, it should be the portability. The rest of the ones crammed in there are nice enhancements at best. And a confusing jumble of inconvenience at worst.

Baltic

Banned
Glad to hear so much interest from developpers on HD rumble. Anxious for E3. I'm wondering if we will get more concrete offerings for the feature in full typical games (meaning not the collection of mini games 1, 2 switch is).

Memory

Why are some people bothered by HD rumble? It's not like it's going to make the games worse guys. Worst case scenario you won't bother with it.

Something, something taking away from the main game development...

I'm hyped about it personally, if it doesn't turn out to be great then we've lost nothing.

Every possible chance must be taken to bitch at the Switch.

Even if it's spinning positive reactions from devs about a feature into something negative.

Why is HD Rumble a ridiculous term? I think it does well on several fronts. It uses two terms together to make people instantly know what they mean. And while it may not use HD correctly in a strictly video game sense, if you consider HD rumble being highly defined, as in "Clearly characterized or delineated," compared to standard rumble it makes perfect sense.

Top Bottom