• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tons of Japanese devs share thoughts about the Switch presentation and Switch itself

OryoN

Wow. Lots of salt over Switch's HD Rumble.

Many were quick to dismiss it as "just another" gimmick/buzzword that adds unnecessary cost to the controllers, but now several impressions - especially that of developers who experience the capabilities daily, and are excited at the possibilities - are suggesting this thing is freaking legit(in ways we haven't seen implemented in even existing hapic devices), the only card left for haters to play is semantics about why it still fits the definition of a gimmick, its supposed simplistic design, or why Nintendo shouldn't get credit for this.

Lol, that's some embarrassingly lame sh!t, but keep it coming, cause it's rather amusing to behold the excess sodium. :D

Wow. Lots of salt over Switch's HD Rumble.

Many were quick to dismiss it as "just another" gimmick/buzzword that adds unnecessary cost to the controllers, but now several impressions - especially that of developers who experience the capabilities daily, and are excited at the possibilities - are suggesting this thing is freaking legit(in ways they haven't seen implemented in even hapic devices), the only card left for haters to play is semantics about why it still fits the definition of a gimmick, its supposed simplistic design, or why Nintendo shouldn't get credit for this.

Lol, that's some embarrassingly lame sh!t, but keep it coming, cause it's rather amusing to behold the excess sodium. :D

Yea there salt fuels me

Tripolygon

Banned
If you're going to be that reductive just calling this "haptic feedback" then you have to acknowledge that the N64 was the first home console with any sort of haptic feedback, and the industry has essentially just copied that simple rumble.

From what we've heard of HD rumble it's quite different from Valve's or even HTC's technology. It may just be the software driving the actuators but I don't recall anything with those controllers being anything like the marble demo for the HD rumble.
This is actually false. It's a narrative that has stuck though but Sony and Nintendo both released controllers with Rumble in literally the same month of April 97. In Sony's case, it was built into the controller (SCPH-1150) but in Nintendo's case it was an external attachment (Rumble Pak). Although the rumble was removed from international release and kept in the Japanese version. It would later be scrapped and released as the DualShock and sold internationally in 98.

MDave

Nice to see that Rumble has finally taken a leap forward from this in terms of tech:

aFuIB30.jpg

And this is still the same kind of rumble in PS and Xbox controllers. "Low" definition or "Standard" definition rumble if there is 2 of them in the controller woo! The kind that only shakes the controller at varying intensities, but still just shaking.

HD Rumble sounds like it simulates taps and far more detailed vibrations like your hand running over a rough wall surface. Or bubbles underwater. It can't be just more motors that spin different weights. That only gives you more or less shaking.

Maybe its something like in the latest iPhone and Macbooks?

44-680x381.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If HD Rumble is just haptic feedback, then how come journalists, whose job has likely meant having some experience with Valve's controller, have reported that the HD Rumble is unlike anything they've experienced with controllers before?

ksbdudue the anger and fumes 😁

Looks like gamers and developers are excited for Switch and HD Rumble. Can't wait to see all the Japanese games on Switch!

If HD Rumble is just haptic feedback, then how come journalists, whose job has likely meant having some experience with Valve's controller, have reported that the HD Rumble is unlike anything they've experienced with controllers before?
Because

A) journalists are all frauds in a vast conspiracy
B) not everyone has used Valve's controller
C) the technology in the Joycons is different/more pronounced

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I have haptic feedback in my Vive controllers, but - and correct me if I'm wrong and if it's only because no software tried something like 1, 2 switch demos - it's nothing like feeling marbles or milk inside the controller.

It's probably quite a bit more advanced than even valve's tech, and no one uses the Steam controller.

None of these impressions I've read about HD Rumble sound anything like what I've felt in the Steam Controller. Not even close to being the same.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I'm looking forward to seeing what can be done with an improved version of motion controls and the new HD rumble. I'd love a new Wii Sports like game using the improved controls.

I already have an Xbox One and PS4 so I wan't different experiences on my Switch aswell as the traditional Nintendo games like Mario and Zelda.

Tripolygon

Banned
It is literally just haptics feedback, it is improved from standard eccentric rotating mass vibrators of previous and this gen. These new HD haptics feedback vibrators aka LRA started appearing in smartphones like 2 to 3 years ago because of the constant pursuit of thinness. But they are better than those motors with, weighted mass at the rotating end. Some developers can simply use it as a simple rumble feedback but others can use it to do some pretty interesting things if properly utilized (see apple taptic engine). That is where valve controller falls short, but it still does have HD haptics.
z9xl8Mv.png

Frodo

I hope they show whatever PlatinumGames is doing
BAYONETTA 3 (AKA JEANNE )
at E3.

Really nice to read some positive impressions. I'm actually surprised about the comment on the price.

120v

my only issue with HD rumble/motion controls is i don't see it getting much support. i'm sure a lot of developers will dick around with it at first but then move on

hope i'm wrong though

Flintty

Ignoring the salt, the good take away from this thread is that devs seem to love the HD rumble and that means they're going to use it in cool and interesting ways, potentially. This is a good thing, I'm looking forward to seeing (feeling?) what they do. The proof will be in the pudding!

Clefargle

my only issue with HD rumble/motion controls is i don't see it getting much support. i'm sure a lot of developers will dick around with it at first but then move on

hope i'm wrong though

It will have plenty of support as a cheap VR system holiday 2018.

(I hope)

itsFizz

It will have plenty of support as a cheap VR system holiday 2018.

(I hope)
Care to explain? I don´t think Joycons will be Compatible with any of the PC VR systems.
Also as far as I know there is no traccking on the joycons (gyro and accelerometers can´t properly track your position in a room)

The Boat

None of these impressions I've read about HD Rumble sound anything like what I've felt in the Steam Controller. Not even close to being the same.

Yeah, the Steam Controller basically uses it to give the feeling of resistance to the trackpad and that's it, HD Rumble takes it a step further.

This is actually false. It's a narrative that has stuck though but Sony and Nintendo both released controllers with Rumble in literally the same month of April 97. In Sony's case, it was built into the controller (SCPH-1150) but in Nintendo's case it was an external attachment (Rumble Pak). Although the rumble was removed from international release and kept in the Japanese version. It would later be scrapped and released as the DualShock and sold internationally in 98.

My bad, I actually didn't know Sony had released rumble tech in Japan at the same time, though of course it was in the dualshock a year later. That just goes to show that a quick Wikipedia search for accuracy isn't foolproof.

Waji

Closest was the Nvidia tablet which went for $200. Throw in Joycons, grip, HDMI cable, dock and power supply and $300 is not unreasonable.

The issue is that for almost 60 million 3DS users are the above features worth $300? That is the question that Nintendo will have to address. A lot of the portable crowd probably would rather have $200-220 handheld without detachable controllers and without the dock. Maybe have those as options that you could purchase later.

I suspect that we will see that sku next year (or maybe Nintendo will take a hit and offer regular Joycons). Also lack of d-pad could be another detriment for portable users so it's conceivable that there would be another Joycon confit offered.

I guess we shall see how many users want the $300 approach. I suspect Nintendo won't have an issue selling 6-8 million units in 2017 calendar year. What happens after is the question.
The detachable controllers and the hybrid feature are what I like the most. It's also exactly what the system is.
A machine that can adapt to a lot of situation and needs. It would make no sense whatsoever to release a handheld/home/whatever only version.

I want to play on the TV, I can, I want to get out with it, I can, I want to put the screen on the bed, on a table, anywhere, while playing with joycons in my hands, I can.
And that's great.

However, there are Nintendo patents regarding force feedback that predate the launch of both controllers by several years, showing that the company was developing products with such capabilities. No haptic related patents that i could find for the competing companies in the 5th generation.

Sony's vision of game interface for 3D capable hardware was adding 2 aditional shoulder buttons over a pretty much standard digital pad. Else that Dual Shock that launched in 97 would have been their control method in the first place.

Nintendo most of the time has exhibit some sort of paradoxically stupid behavior for a company that is so secretive and reserved. The company tends to show hardware even several years before it's officially available. For example, the N64 controller was revealed so early that the Saturn had enough time to introduce it's 3D pad before the N64 was launched and Sega is yet another company that had a differnt idea how the games on their 3D system would control.

This also kind of bother consumers. For example, i remember the Wavebird shown in Shoshinkai (i think August 2000?) and the thing took forever to be in consumers hands. Although developers were playing with them before launch at least XD

OryoN

Yeah, I think you would need more than a couple extra motors to simulate individual marbles rolling from one end of the controller to the other, and colliding with a very distinct bang.

What we've heard so far, in terms of both consumer and developers'(who would know a thing or two about other companies' hardware) impressions, there is nothing about Valve's tech that suggests capable of replicating all things the Joy-con are capable of.

It could be on a software implementation level, sure, but it would've been at least a year since developers had access to the tech. That's more than enough time for them to either implement or at least mention ways the tech has impressed them. One possible/obvious scenario is; the Joy-con are, in all likelihood, simply more advanced. Developer sentiments points heavily in that direction. Whatever the case, it seems foolish to try to downplay the confirmed capabilities - which has never been seen elsewhere - of those little controllers.

Lol, you'd think people would be happy to see home console controllers getting a proper upgrage after such a long time with one very basic function applied in a very generic way; just shake on cue.

I certainly am excited to see where controllers and our gaming experiences go from here. The tech will become cheaper over time, but gaming experiences will remain priceless. Let's go!

Lolol, people saying that HD rumbles are gimmick... But the rumble triggers of the Xbox One controller is innovation. Cant wait to tried it.

It would be very, very interesting to get a similar list of responses from Western development partners.

I really want someone to ask Todd Howard specifically about HD rumble.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, I suppose that "hurt" N-Fans are more bitter than S-Fans are happy about a new feature. However, there were some instances (and this is true for every fan out there for every platform) where features like "play online for free" or even Rumble were cut and people were strangely OK with it.
Sure, there are always some cases like this :)

That is true, if it succeeds, Nintendo will have a huge advantage for some years. However, sometimes, it's a big "if" and I don't see much appreciation for companies who try to innovate like Sony with mainstream VR, MS with Kinect or Nintendo with the Wii or the Switch. Most of the time, people seem to be happy with (minor) hardware upgrades and the discussion about what amount of "X unit of technical term" is in one device, but not the other.

Personally, I would enjoy console gaming much more if it were much more different from my PC. I don't want to install games, download large Day-1-Patches and be cluttered with microtransactions or even Hardware options in the settings. I do that on my PC day in and day out and if I want to continue doing that, I don't need another gaming device. Plug & Play is a highly underestimated concept and traditionally, consoles have delivered that better than any PC could do.

So I am especially happy about the Switch, because this will finally be another true Plug & Play device on the market. As long as Nintendo focuses on solid gaming features, I am sold on the concept.
Besides game installs, i think Switch will see all of those things that you mention there.
But not having to install games makes it more Plug & Play, that is true.

Lolol, people saying that HD rumbles are gimmick... But the rumble triggers of the Xbox One controller is innovation. Cant wait to tried it.
Who said that?

Datschge

All games have resolutions. If mere improvements in technology are a "gimmick" then what isn't a gimmick? Music attracts attention and appeal to a game, is game music a gimmick?
Most games until early mid 1980s only contained sound effects and jingles at best, game music very much was a gimmick back then.

All games have resolutions. If mere improvements in technology are a "gimmick" then what isn't a gimmick? Music attracts attention and appeal to a game, is game music a gimmick?

The first films with sound were absolutely seen as gimmicks. People pushed back against talkies for a bit actually.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
well they can have all their thoughts, i want games

That's what they're doing man, literally majority of these developers already have a game on the way, some are unannounced and even fewer are considering putting a game on the switch

jnWake

It's obvious they get excited about HD Rumble since it's a new toy and many developers like new toys to try out. Not many new toys in recent consoles. Also, unlike the second screen on Wii U (and 3DS even), HD Rumble doesn't require modifying a game much so it'll be much better supported than other "gimmicks".

Narroo

The first films with sound were absolutely seen as gimmicks. People pushed back against talkies for a bit actually.

To be fair, the voice acting was kinda bad at first, and it was gimicky in the beginning. It eventually blossomed into what we know today as movies.

Heck, the original moving pictures were gimmicks at first.

Datschge

Part of that is that silent films weren't actually silent but often had live ragtime performance as accompaniment. Now compare tried and true improvised live music with not yet really there recorded audio quality and I'd likely prefer the former as well, calling the latter a gimmick. The move away from silent movies also completely changed how characters were acting as the former asked more of a mime acting.

ika

Yeah in the end both were released in the same year, but Nintendo showed the rumble pack waaaaay earlier (Shoshinkai 96 IIRC). And released it almost a year after N64 launch with Star Fox 64. The Dualshock didn't showed up until Nintendo presented the Rumble Pak. It's a fact that the analog sticks and rumble motors in PSX controllers were added after Nintendo presented the N64 controller and its peripherals.

Top Bottom