• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tons of Japanese devs share thoughts about the Switch presentation and Switch itself

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
"Gimmick: an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal."

HD Graphics is essentially that, theres a reason 900p vs 1080p was a point of contention in the console warz at the beginning of this generation, its exactly why 4k is being pushed so hard as a selling point for PS4Pro and Scorpio. They're using Increased Resolution to attract attention and increase appeal for their systems. Hence HD Graphics are a gimmick.

Switch dock mode resolution bump confirmed for gimmick.

antibolo

Banned
Japanese 3rd parties better not ignore the Switch, they are our only hope (for some 3rd party content). Western 3rd parties will continue to be obsessed with specs and not give a fuck about Nintendo as usual.

• Suda 51 made NMH 1 & 2 for the Wii
  • Ryota Aomi is already bringing a game to the Switch
  • Mizuki Hosoyamada's Puyo games have appeared on various Nintendo system and Puyopuyo Tetris is coming to Switch
  • Katsuhiro Harada gave us Pokken and Namco has helped Nintendo a lot with various games
  • Kenichiro Takaki came up with Senran Kagura because of the 3DS' 3D screen
  • Ryozo Tsujimoto responsible for Monster Hunter. One doesn't really need to say much more about that.

Wow, I don't he is going to argue this anymore.

ggx2ac

HD Rumble is actually, legitimately great. I fully expect all next gen controllers to implement it.

I await that day.

*Nintendo reveals HD Rumble*

"Nintendo's throwing gimmicks at the system again making it overpriced, damn it Nintendo why can't you just make a traditional console like the Xbox and PS4?"

*Sony reveals HD Rumble*

"OMG Sony is so innovative. How do they keep coming up with things like this? Take all my money Sony!!!1111"

ggx2ac

This was posted in December??

It's speculation from when Laura Kate Dale leaked the controllers having advanced vibration feedback last year.

The guy that made the video is guessing the company behind it. It's possible that it could be Miraisens but they're not the only company that makes advanced haptics hardware.

Have to wait for Switch on release date to find out anything from a teardown about what's in the HD Rumble.

Tripolygon

Banned
I'm confused. So why is HD rumble a gimmick, but not HD graphics? I mean in the derisive sense people are using it in now rather than the strictest dictionary sense. Unless you mean because HD graphics is the standard now, though I'd argue people weren't calling that a gimmick when the 360 and ps3 were coming out. If you want to be technical, why is HD rumble a gimmick, but nobody calls 4K resolution a gimmick around here?

"Gimmick: an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal."

HD Graphics is essentially that, theres a reason 900p vs 1080p was a point of contention in the console warz at the beginning of this generation, its exactly why 4k is being pushed so hard as a selling point for PS4Pro and Scorpio. They're using Increased Resolution to attract attention and increase appeal for their systems. Hence HD Graphics are a gimmick.
Its a gimmick and its pretty cool, same as Xbox One rumble triggers and DS4 speakers. It'll become an industry standard seeing as it is already in Steam Controller, Vive, Oculus Touch. There is always a pushback from within the gaming community, i don't personally associate the word gimmick as a negative.
Switch-Joy-Con-2.gif
heartbeat.gif
720p, 1080p, 4K are all industry resolution standards aka not a gimmick. Computing power increases rapidly every year (not so rapid anymore). With it comes better graphics, animation, sound, lighting etc.

Its a gimmick and its pretty cool, same as Xbox One rumble triggers and DS4 speakers. It'll become an industry standard seeing as it is already in Steam Controller, Vive, Oculus Touch. There is always a pushback from within the gaming community, i don't personally associate the word gimmick as a negative.

720p, 1080p, 4K are all industry resolution standards aka not a gimmick. Computing power increases rapidly every year (not so rapid anymore). With it comes better graphics, animation, sound, lighting etc.

They're are standards yes, but in the literal sense of the word they fit the very definition of a gimmick. To use resolution as a selling point for their consoles is indeed defining them as a gimmick. At the beginning of the PS3/360 era this was more true than it is now, but the definition still holds up. These consoles could still be fully capable at 240p ala 3DS but they push 1080p/4K as a selling point for their hardware which is why it stands.

The difference between a gimmick, and an innovation is all about reception and legacy. When something doesn't work, it's a gimmick. When it catches on, it's an innovation.

Mario007

I await that day.

*Nintendo reveals HD Rumble*

"Nintendo's throwing gimmicks at the system again making it overpriced, damn it Nintendo why can't you just make a traditional console like the Xbox and PS4?"

*Sony reveals HD Rumble*

"OMG Sony is so innovative. How do they keep coming up with things like this? Take all my money Sony!!!1111"
That has literally never happened...

simtmb

Good read, a lot of positive impressions.

As for the HD rumble talk, I'm sure a lot of you remember Phil Harrison's "Rumble is last generation" during the early days of the PS3 with it being omitted in the Six-axis. After coming back in the DS3, then DS4, I think the only improvement was really in the XBone pad? In that it had two additional rotors.

While I'm not too interested in HD rumble, it's about time we move forward from current rumble implementations. As they feel more like an expected requirement, and you can argue it really doesn't enhance one's gaming experience in any meaningful way.

HD rumble sounds to be a true change to this, so in that respect I'm eager to try it out. It sounds like tech well suited to VR honestly, and with Nintendo not chasing VR, they are offering this for added immersion it seems.

See "MOVE controller"

The "literally never happened" part was the notion that people were reacting positively to the move controller as an innovation. EVERYONE compared it to the Wiimote. Right down to how they presented the controllers. (I actually forgot that the move controller had a secondary accessory like that.)

playstationmove_wii.jpg

Timeaisis

Do digital games dream of analogue games? Is Nintendo trying to liberate digital games from what are known as screens? That is what I have been expecting Nintendo to do since the Wii U, and now my prediction has come true. They have finally escaped the shackles of the screen with the Switch, and introduced to us a digital game where players stand eye to eye. The possibilities are infinite. As a fan of analogue games, it is overwhelming.

These are my thoughts as well. It's incredible how little interest HD rumble has gotten from consumers in the west, when it really could be the next big thing in games. Non screen experiences. Screen plus tactile response. Weight to virtual items. The possibilities are crazy. People really have no imagination. Just goes to prove consumers have no idea what they want until they have it. I hope minds can be changed and some developers actually utilize the tech. We shall see.

asagami_

Banned
These are my thoughts as well. It's incredible how little interest HD rumble has gotten from consumers in the west, when it really could be the next big thing in games. Non screen experiences. Screen plus tactile response. Weight to virtual items. The possibilities are crazy. People really have no imagination. Just goes to prove consumers have no idea what they want until they have it. I hope minds can be changed and some developers actually utilize the tech. We shall see.

And if someday Nintendo want venture in VR, well, they have some notion. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if a future Switch iteration have VR.

x17th

Neo Member
The difference between a gimmick, and an innovation is all about reception and legacy. When something doesn't work, it's a gimmick. When it catches on, it's an innovation.

Gimmick definition:
noun
a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

Innovation definition:
noun
the action or process of innovating.
or
a new method, idea, product, etc.

Technically in slang terms the word gimmick is being used as when something works. In literal terms (which I assume the other guy is arguing about), he's more correct than you? As long as it's new, whether or not it catches on, it is considered an innovation. A gimmick is attracting attention basically...so any form of advertising or feature proposed is considered a gimmick in this case...?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
If Ishii produces a novel of the same quality as 428, that would make Switch the true successor to Wii for me. Actual Xenoblade sequel, No More Heroes 3 (at least I think it's NMH3?), and a new Ishii novel. I'm not ready.

What a time to be alive.

I think it's important to find out who's providing the tech in these things, to better understand what the potential of these haptics are.

Also, will they be better or equal to Vive's or Oculus controllers? What are these controllers doing right now?

With Nintendo games + Japanese games + indie games... Thick western developers can laugh as much as they want at the system. It is their loss.

With Nintendo games + Japanese games + indie games... Thick western developers can laugh as much as they want at the system. It is their loss.

My thought as well. I'm just depressed at the idea that a platform needs EA turds (OK, I'm a bit harsh on this) to succeed.

Zedark

That's not how Rumble technology, nor the laws of Physics, works.
I think it should be possible to do something with rumble that gives the sensation of the controller getting lighter as a psychological trick. But perhaps more effective would be to simulate the sensation of sloshing inside the paint reservoir.

Pandy

LMAO

Wii and WiiU were both there first.
It's also the one feature I'm really annoyed the joy-cons are missing, but I can see that it'd be somewhat redundant in portable mode.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
LMAO

Wii and WiiU were both there first.
It's also the one feature I'm really annoyed the joy-cons are missing, but I can see that it'd be somewhat redundant in portable mode.

True, Nintendo was there with controller speakers first and thanks Nintendo for introducing this concept/feature... but DS4 is the first controller/portable speaker in a similar device that actually sounded really feeling good. I remember being a bit freaked out in Resogun due to the speaker quality. Wii remote speaker sounds quite a lot worse in comparison.

Durante

One thing I learned from this is that we are calling haptic feedback "HD Rumble" now, and that the annals will credit Nintendo for bringing it to gaming input devices rather than Valve ;)

Vinnk

One thing I learned from this is that we are calling haptic feedback "HD Rumble" now, and that the annals will credit Nintendo for bringing it to gaming input devices rather than Valve ;)

And if it is better than what Valve is doing, it will be deserved. Apple didn't introduce the MP3 player or smartphone either. History remembers the ones who made these things a mainstream success.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

lol is that a good thing or a bad thing to you

Durante

lol is that a good thing or a bad thing to you
It's not something I care about deeply either way, just something to note both for those who call it a "typical Nintendo gimmick" and for those who call it a "Nintendo innovation". As far as I am concerned it's neither of those.

ksamedi

HD rumble is a nice feauture to have but not something that Nintendo uses in their marketing. The main draw for me is still its hybrid nature and 2 player local multiplayer. HD rumble is just a nice extra. I would like to see more games being made using only the controller, though.

Funny how people who actually know something about hardware(and the console itself) seem to agree think that the Switch is underpriced for all it's bringing to the table. GAF, on the other hand...well, will continue being GAF.
GAF and most other people have some valid arguments:
- it's the most expensive dedicated gaming handheld ever
- it's less powerfull as a console, but higher priced than ps4 or xbone (which have bigger hdd and mostly come with a game)

So... logical; from a consumer stand the Switch is expensive.

GAF and most other people have some valid arguments:
- it's the most expensive dedicated gaming handheld ever
- it's less powerfull as a console, but higher priced than ps4 or xbone (which have bigger hdd and mostly come with a game)

So... logical; from a consumer stand the Switch is expensive.

....I don't even know where to start.

Zedark

....I don't even know where to start.

I wouldn't start at all. The discussion has been had many times, and it always boils down to how much value people see in the system's ability to be both: if you are looking for a handheld only, the system may not be optimal for you, and the same applies when you are looking for a home console only. No need to retread that, I think.

I wouldn't start at all. The discussion has been had many times, and it always boils down to how much value people see in the system's ability to be both: if you are looking for a handheld only, the system may not be optimal for you, and the same applies when you are looking for a home console only. No need to retread that, I think.

This. There is ALWAYS certain people who want to start this conversation to mud the actual point of the topic.

Or they shitpost insane things just to get on people's nerves and then the thread goes downhill...

Branduil

To be fair it does sound like "HD Rumble" is more advanced than the haptic feedback in Steam's controllers.

Oregano

To be fair it does sound like "HD Rumble" is more advanced than the haptic feedback in Steam's controllers.

I don't think there's any actual technological difference but Switch being a bespoke machine with HD Rumble as a standard means that experience can be tailor made to take advantage of the hardware.

All games have resolutions. If mere improvements in technology are a "gimmick" then what isn't a gimmick? Music attracts attention and appeal to a game, is game music a gimmick?

KtSlime

All games have resolutions. If mere improvements in technology are a "gimmick" then what isn't a gimmick? Music attracts attention and appeal to a game, is game music a gimmick?

Not gaming, but at one point color and recorded audio tracks were gimmicks for the film industry.

If there is a lot of advertising, fancy catch phrases, slogans, etc, that go into a specific feature of a product which is used to differentiate itself from past and competing products, I don't think it is too much of a stretch to call that thing a gimmick.

Top Bottom