• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk is going back to its roots. Shouldn't EA do the same with Need For Speed?

Wonko_C

EDIT for clarification: I'm not asking for a NEW NFS in the style of the old ones, like the recently released Hot Pursuit, (which is a great game but it was just a new Burnout in disguise) I'm asking for the re-release of the first NFS titles all rolled up into one like THPSHD is doing bringing back stages from TH1 and 2.

Where is my "Need For Speed Classic HD", EA? NFS 2SE, 3, High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed on PC were great arcade racers, with features that most racers today are lacking such as:

aqUNe.jpg

Different weather on every. single. track: Rain, day, night, fog, dusk, freaking THUNDERSTORMS. The rain effects were impressive. I think it was the first time where the camera actually could catch some droplets of water. And the skyboxes were beautiful, with clouds scrolling towards the camera, not this boring stock-photo sky wallpaper that is commonplace nowadays. NFS 3: Hot Pursuit looked especially good with a 3DFX graphics card.

oL6rO.jpg

Environment Variety: We're tired of city environments. NFS had snowy mountains, deserts, forests, jungles, coastlines, villages, farms, countrysides and I probably made up some of those, but you get my point.

soGpF.jpg

Engaging Career: You had your standard medal system progression in career mode, but your car damage carried over between events and you had to decide which parts to repair and pay, this motivated you to win your races with as little damage as possible to have enough money to buy better cars. There were also the High Stakes events, where you can actually lose your car permanently if you lose the race.

UIz8u.jpg

Good Music: The menus have some of the best menu music in game history, you could choose to race with rock or techno music, and the tracks were interactive, always changing depending of how were you doing in the race. Just listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69-J2m_GyhI

EA could mash up NFS 3, 4 and 5 into one game with touched-up textures and geometry, all the tracks from those games togheter, High Stakes' career mode, Hot Pursuit's cop chases, and Porsche Unleashed's car upgrade system, add online play, 1080p at 60fps and release it digitally as a "best of" like Activision is doing with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD.

Hundreds of hours were spent on those games but with good reason: The graphics, music and style were the complete package, and the handling was actually good, the cars had a well done sense of weight compared to pretty much every modern NFS title. In the end it probably all boils down to nostalgia, but I must not be the only one who wants the old NFS back, right?

Hot Pursuit, bro. I'm sure EA will make another one. The Run was another attempt at some thing similar, but Black Box fucked it up.

Personally I would like to see another Underground game. Not ProStreet or Undercover or any of that shit, but just plain old Underground. I mean, The Fast & The Furious movie franchise is more popular than ever, so it'd be the perfect time to strike that hot iron, EA.

Jacobi

Banned
NFS3 remade with new levels and modern graphics? That would be phantastic. Modern arcade racers are far too bloated for my taste... I don't need a goddamn open world in every game!

MMaRsu

Banned
NFS3 remade with new levels and modern graphics? That would be phantastic. Modern arcade racers are far too bloated for my taste... I don't need a goddamn open world in every game!

I sure hope you're not referring to Hot Pursuit.

The question is what would you call need for speeds roots? Surely your not on about the original 3DO game. The franchise has branched into so many paths of the arcade racer it would be hard to distill that into a core experience.

Wonko_C

For clarification: I'm not asking for a NEW NFS in the style of the old ones, like the recently released Hot Pursuit, (which is a great game but it was just a new Burnout in disguise) I'm asking for the re-release of the first NFS titles all rolled up into one like THPSHD is doing bringing back stages from TH1 and 2.

Yeah my favourite NFS game is still Underground. The R&T style games were always so... something your father would play instead of you.

MMaRsu

Banned
How is Hot Pursuit at all like a burnout in disguise? Just because Criterion knows how to make a great racer doesnt make it Burnout.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Well, yeah, they did do this with Hot Pursuit, but then they put out The Run.

It'd be nice if they stuck to what worked. Hot Pursuit/Most Wanted/Underground and dropped everything else.

DMczaf

For clarification: I'm not asking for a NEW NFS in the style of the old ones, like the recently released Hot Pursuit, (which is a great game but it was just a new Burnout in disguise) I'm asking for the re-release of the first NFS titles all rolled up into one like THPSHD is doing bringing back stages from TH1 and 2.

Weird, because Burnout fans were pissed that it wasn't Burnout in disguise.

Hot Pursuit was nothing like Burnout. I love Burnout and wouldn't have minded if it even controlled like that, but it didn't. It was still good in it's own right, but anyone who says that probably hasn't played much burnout at all and just wants to whine for the sake of whining.

egocrata

Banned
Hot Pursuit is my favorite NFS since Porsche Unleashed. More of these, please. It was the pure essence of the franchise. Loved it.

SykoTech

Not sure if I'd say that Tony Hawk is going back to its roots just because they're putting out an HD collection.

Once they make a new game that captures the spirit and fun of the old games, then I'd say that they've gone "back to roots".

I will never understand the love for Hot Pursuit, Criterion's effort. Didn't like it at all. The controls were awful. The Run controlled better than HP.

edit: And sign me up, OP. Would love to play HD-i-fied versions of the old games.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If you want to trace back to the early roots of need for speed... It's test drive and stunts

Test drive has already had its remake, need for speed (road and track) was really just a super souped up test drive game but without free roam (iirc)

Id like a remake of stunts! :)

Haeleos

I think fleshing out the cops and robbers mode in the next Burnout game would make a better game than what we got with Hot Pursuit. I actually liked Most Wanted better than Hot Pursuit... I think the open world style is a better fit for the police chase stuff.

bridegur

I wish HP had been Burnout in disguise. It was fine, but not nearly as much fun as Criterion's other games. Does anyone know what Criterion is working on now? Is it HP2, or a new Burnout?

Wonko_C

How is Hot Pursuit at all like a burnout in disguise? Just because Criterion knows how to make a great racer doesnt make it Burnout.

Burnout in disguide... psht hahahahaha.

I wish. ;_;

Hot Pursuit was nothing like Burnout. I love Burnout and wouldn't have minded if it even controlled like that, but it didn't. It was still good in it's own right, but anyone who says that probably hasn't played much burnout at all and just wants to whine for the sake of whining.

"Burnout in disguise" might have been a little stretching but the takedowns, the easy drifting, driving dangerously for boost, the way the crashes are present, its all very burnout-like. Didn't feel like the old Hot Pursuit or even the PS2 sequel at all.

I'm not saying it was bad or wrong because I love both Burnout and NFS and I had been wishing for a NFS/Burnout crossover for a long time, which is what we got.

I would spend $60 for an HD remake of NFS4: Hot Pursuit with the original music, no joke.
You and me both! (Except that NFS4 is Hight Stakes, not Hot Pursuit :p)

Yeah my favourite NFS game is still Underground. The R&T style games were always so... something your father would play instead of you.
Thanks for making me feel old. :(

LuchaShaq

Banned
I want a Burnout Revenge 2 and a Burnout Paradise 2. Call them Need for Speed Paradise/Revenge for the sake of sales but stop hamstringing criterion with crappy NFS handling and bullshit licensed car rules about damage.

Does anyone know what Criterion is working on now? Is it HP2, or a new Burnout?
I suspect we're going to hear about their second Hot Pursuit game any day now, with a fall release date.

I would love to be wrong though, and find out they're working on a new Burnout.

Yen

I loved Underground 1 and Undercover. I'd love re-releases of both (Undercover is having it's servers taken down)

Top Bottom