• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk is going back to its roots. Shouldn't EA do the same with Need For Speed?

Pimpbaa

You fail OP, the recent Hot Pursuit WAS going back to it's roots. And it didn't feel like Burnout at all. In the official thread people were bitching basically because it wasn't a new Burnout.

codecow

My favorites in the series were Porsche Unleashed and NFS2 on the PC, I remember many LAN sessions with that game where someone would always end up drunk driving backwards on the track by the end of the evening.

I adored NFS1. I first played it on the 3DO and then on PC.

When NFS went all "Fast and Furious", I backed away completely as I knew it's not what I wanted from a driving game.

So for me, when I think of NFS going back to its roots with today's technology, I think that the physics engine of GT5 with the tracks and environments of the NFS series would be perfection.

It speaks for itself.

I think I might be in the same camp as the OP, the very early games in the NFS series have always been my favorite. Still have and play the old games on the PS1, including the first "Road and Track Presents..." game. There's just something about those old games, I think it's the courses themselves. They'd venture into the cities for sure, but many of them were set in the countryside. And overall they were just long, awesome courses.

VV7pb.jpg

dkuYZ.jpg

MAd5M.jpg

ndV96.jpg

E9Srd.jpg

I'd love a compilation of NFS2SE, NFS3, NFS4 and NFS5 using the original soundtracks. But they'd need to have an option for Arcade mode and Sim mode as NFS2 & 3 were arcade, but NFS4 (PSX version only-- PC version was a reskin of NFS3) & NFS5 had simulation physics

heres some of my favourite music tracks from those games:

Snow Bags (NFS3)
Paradigm Shifter (NFS4)

JJD

Hot Pursuit was a Burnout game in disguise??????? Really?

I has more to do with the Original NFS than Shift or Underground.

Curufinwe

I will never understand the love for Hot Pursuit, Criterion's effort. Didn't like it at all. The controls were awful. The Run controlled better than HP.

The Run didn't do anything better than HP. Proper use of the brake and handbrake was enough to make the cars in HP control beautifully. Easily my favorite Platinum trophy on the PS3.

Wonko_C

Wow, the NFS/Burnout comparison did struck a nerve with some. Relax, that's just how I feel, it's not going to change how everyone else feels about the game. Perhaps it has to do with it not being 60 frames per second on consoles? (I own the PC version)

And for those wanting a sequel to Underground, I'm with you guys, Underground 3 on disc and NFS Classic HD on XBLA, how about it?

JWong

Banned
"Burnout in disguise" might have been a little stretching but the takedowns, the easy drifting, driving dangerously for boost, the way the crashes are present, its all very burnout-like. Didn't feel like the old Hot Pursuit or even the PS2 sequel at all.

I'm not saying it was bad or wrong because I love both Burnout and NFS and I had been wishing for a NFS/Burnout crossover for a long time, which is what we got.

Hell no, it wasn't easy to drift. And the "driving dangerously" mechanic has been around for ages!

elektrixx

Banned
Considering what I saw on that Thursday Night Throwdown, no thanks.

I'd rather have another NFS developed by Criterion.

Raonak

Banned
They need to do Need for speed: Hot pursuit 2 HD, that was such a good game. favourite ps2 racing game. so much fun.

the new hot pursuit just didn't click with me. :( too much emphasis on drifiting and getting points.
not enough pure racing and evading.

NFS3 remade with new levels and modern graphics? That would be phantastic. Modern arcade racers are far too bloated for my taste... I don't need a goddamn open world in every game!

This, but throw in the High Stakes tracks in there too. The music was godly in NFS3, loved how the music changed as soon as a cop saw you, and if they ticketed you it almost went quiet while they showed a little cutscene. The menu songs are incredible, I don't even know how to describe it.

Grayman

I had a lot of fun with hot pursuit back in the day too. I like my games more sim like now though so I don't know if I would go for a NFS game at all. I do want hot cars and long country side or city tracks.

Would rather see Road Rash come back.

100MS

Neo Member
If they remake or re-release the old games, they have to update and add the new cars models (its a racing game with licensed cars after all), after doing that all they have to do is making a new tracks and call it a new game!

Beside, we already got Hot Pursuit.

SmokyDave

Totally agree. Draft 'Road & Track' back in there as well, it was so obvious that the first game had the input of serious car lovers.

Just give me the first game in HD and I'll be happy. I still play my Saturn copy.

I just wish Hot Pursuit 2010 had more environment types. I know they tried to spread things out and vary tracks with weather effects and such, but I really miss the jet setting sort of style you had in past NFS games. Hot Pursuit 2 took you to Hawaii, Rome, and Redwood Forests.

Hot Pursuit 2010 just takes place in Not-California. I want more variety, dammit!

Martian

Another NFS: High Stakes would be awesome! So many fond memories.
Thing is though, how will you make it interesting again? I mean High Stakes was technically just driving around for the fastest time. NFS now is less arcade, and more play to get better cars to drive faster to get better cars etc.

I wouldn't say no to a remake of Hot Pursuit 2 or Porsche Unleashed though, but I don't think EA will sell as many with those.

Top Bottom