• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 to be full priced release ($60-PS4/ONE,$40-360/PS3)

I probably missed it but, did they say what version those screens we got are from?

It would be silly to show screens from the PS3/360 versions if you want to show the best the game could offer but, I am hoping they did something wrong.

I can agree with that as well. It is mostly if they can have lots to do in those 9 courses. If it is like the old series, the course challenges are probably 4 hours total. Online score leader boards would be a good option to keep people playing.

It really just depends on what they do with those 9 courses.
From what I seen of this though I don't really have faith in the developer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBe5tAHk7qk

No arguments there. Their track record is one that's not going to leave gamers with a lot of confidence that this will turn out how they hope it will. So they've got a lot to prove with this game. Especially after HD where they messed up the physics engine. They now have to build a physics engine and design levels that fans are happy with. This is one of those times when doing focus tests would be a good thing. Bring in old fans of the game and let them tell them what's right and wrong about it. Because as HD showed, even if the level designs are fantastic, the physics can ruin the entire experience. They literally make or break the game.

It better be worth it then.
This back in 2000's would buy blindly but now I really has to be a very very good THSP2 clone in order to get me to buy it full price.

Or Jeff has to give it 5 out of 5 stars, he probably the one who knows why THSP 1-4 are amazing and gets these games from the journo's still working today.

This is one of those times when doing focus tests would be a good thing. Bring in old fans of the game and let them tell them what's right and wrong about it. Because as HD showed, even if the level designs are fantastic, the physics can ruin the entire experience. They literally make or break the game.

I agree completely, the issues they've had in the past would have been pointed out immediately by anyone with even a passing interest in the series. If they had focus groups and actually listened I'm sure they could do quite well this time around, but that approach requires logic and foresight, both of which they've demonstrated three times already that they lack so I'm not going to hold my breathe. Like all the skeptics here I'd love to be proven wrong as I want a good, true Pro Skater title.

I didn't know why the thread title announced the price like it was a surprise but after seeing the shots, I can see why people expected it to be less.

I've never played these (and won't play this one) but I know that if the framerate is choppy, on top of it looking like that, RIP.

Considering the circumstances regarding this game, it's looking much less appealing by the second.

Man, just give us a THPS HD Collection and all it a day.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Considering the circumstances regarding this game, it's looking much less appealing by the second.

Man, just give us a THPS HD Collection and all it a day.

They tried that.

And that's why no one trusts Robomodo. It's not some 'you're not even giving them a chance,' it's 'they were given the most basic of jobs to try to revitalize Tony Hawk and they fucked it up at every turn on the way and now you expect them to make a new game and are giving them the benefit of the doubt?'

How does this make any sense, whatsoever?

They're selling it for the expected price of a console game in 2015. That's not news, that's a baseline. It means we can expect content equivalent to a disc-based product, rather than a strictly downloadable title.

Except they've already announced that there's going to be 7 original levels, plus 2 others which are versions of older levels (levels that were in the previous THPSHD, even). That's the lowest number of original levels in the entire series, which has had games with as many as 15 levels total (24 if we count 2X).

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD had 7 levels and was a quarter of THPS5's price.

Fuck the law, they can eat my dick, that's word to Pimp?

On:topic: This is slightly unfortunate news. I said I'd wait to hear more details and I still will but so far it just looks like a cash grab to see if there's interest in the franchise. Of course it seems like they might fail to take into account the quality of the title they're using to gauge that interest.

Nice RTJ reference.

But overall yea I agree too early to jump to conclusions but doesn't seem too good at the moment.

way too early to jump to conclusions. Maybe the game is 60 fps and hits all of the marks gameplay wise? It's funny to see people bitch about the projectiles since that's been done in other TH games before.

SRTtoZ

CEQXQnfWgAId5-2.jpg:large

Sixty. Dollars.

Sixty.

Lol. The blank stare into nothingness while performing a move is amazing. Day 1.

meanspartan

The graphics look like they are literally picking up where they left off about a decade ago (I don't count "Ride" and such as real Tony Hawk games).

Which isn't great......but if this game is fun, those graphics are passable enough that I'll still play the fuck outta this game. $60 might be ok despite the old visuals if they do other things right.

The game needs to have addictive gameplay the same way the older Tony Hawk games had. Otherwise, it'll fail. 60$ is a bit much to be honest. Unless there's something i don't know about.

I loved the remake they did last time on 360 and PS3, feels just right imo.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I'm really worried about what this game is going to do for potential skating and extreme sports games in the future. It's going to bomb hard and other devs might reconsider their ideas.

On the other hand, this absolutely deserves to bomb. No-one wants it. Give us classic Tony (i.e. 1-3) in a fresh new engine, or Skate 4. Nothing less.

meanspartan

I'm really worried about what this game is going to do for potential skating and extreme sports games in the future. It's going to bomb hard and other devs might reconsider their ideas.

On the other hand, this absolutely deserves to bomb. No-one wants it. Give us classic Tony (i.e. 1-3) in a fresh new engine, or Skate 4. Nothing less.

Wait I thought this one WAS going to be like the numbered Tony Hawk games of old? Is it not?

Fitts

I didn't know why this thread existed so I clicked on it. A $60 game seemed like a non-event to me. I scrolled down a bit and seen those screen shots. (my first time seeing the game). Oh dear...

I don't prioritize graphics in my purchasing decisions, but this straight up looks like a mobile game. With such little effort put into the visuals I'm assuming that the rest of the game will be a lazy effort as well. I purchased every Tony Hawk game through THUG and would love for an updated, content-packed game but chances are slim that this will deliver.

Dunkley

Honestly if we were discussing, say, a High Voltage Software port, there'd be no discussion of giving them the benefit of doubt at this point. Looking at Robomodo's track record with the franchise, it's understandable why people are negative about their latest project.

As for me, I also have little faith in this because they already hyped up their last game as the ultimate back-to-roots Tony Hawk's experience just like they are trying to with this one, and it ended up being an extremely disappointing release only so slightly rescued from a complete disappointment due to the inclusion of Goldfinger.

liquidtmd

Banned
Do people that keep on bringing this up realize that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1, 2, 3, and 4 were cross gen games?

THPS1 and THPS2 hit Playstation first with that gen in mind, then were ported later to 'next gen' (i.e DC / GC) with a bit of a shine

I can't believe this, seriously. Tony Hawk as a franchise has had a really bad reputation for a long time. You don't regain faith in a brand by not treating it with the respect it deserves.

I don't want to judge it before I really see it, but based on the initial screens and the developer, I have nothing but low expectations for this. I want this to be good so badly.

OnPoint

THPS1 and THPS2 hit Playstation first with that gen in mind, then were ported later to 'next gen' (i.e DC / GC) with a bit of a shine

Well that and then 3 & 4 had previous gen versions as well, though those were wholly unique games.

Also, American Wasteland was on both Xbox and the 360 at release.

I agree completely, the issues they've had in the past would have been pointed out immediately by anyone with even a passing interest in the series. If they had focus groups and actually listened I'm sure they could do quite well this time around, but that approach requires logic and foresight, both of which they've demonstrated three times already that they lack so I'm not going to hold my breathe. Like all the skeptics here I'd love to be proven wrong as I want a good, true Pro Skater title.

What's especially interesting with HD is that it's one of those times when you don't even have to play it to see that there's something wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL6I4c2IEj4

As you said, anyone that's spent time with the series before could tell them that the physics were busted just from watching the video. That's why i'm so excited about seeing some footage of this game. We'll be able to tell right away if they've made the right changes.

Bgamer90

Banned
THPS1 and THPS2 hit Playstation first with that gen in mind, then were ported later to 'next gen' (i.e DC / Xbox) with a bit of a shine

Well that and then 3 & 4 had previous gen versions as well, though those were wholly unique games.

Also, American Wasteland was on both Xbox and the 360 at release.

Yep. I just don't see how THPS5 being cross gen negatively impacts it in anyway; At least in terms of why people enjoyed the first four THPS games.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Wait I thought this one WAS going to be like the numbered Tony Hawk games of old? Is it not?

Perhaps in some respects, but shit like this

There will also be new additions like power-ups and the ability to shoot projectiles during certain missions.

and the fact that it's Robomodo (Tony Hawk Ride) means I'm out. Would rather just keep playing Skate 2 / 3.

So in Australia at least, Tony Hawk 5's going to be 'budget' priced compared to most big name releases on XB1 and PS4.

https://ebgames.com.au/ps4-207518-Tony-Hawks-Pro-Skater-5-PlayStation-4
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/games-consoles/platforms/xbox-one/tony-hawk-pro-skater-5/714267/

$70 AUD for current gen, $60 for last gen.

https://ebgames.com.au/ps4-205830-Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-III-PlayStation-4
Compared to say, $100 AUD for Call of Duty.

There's a good chance this won't be a full price game in America.

Fat4all

Banned
But I already got olli olli.

We already got TWO OlliOlli's. As far as I'm concerned, Roll7 should dip their toes into making a 3D skating game. I'd buy the shit out of that.

For now I'll settle for their new game, NOT A HERO.

Lol. The blank stare into nothingness while performing a move is amazing. Day 1.

To be fair, you will probably rarely see the skater's face in great detail, so it probably won't be a huge issue. The levels look incredibly sparse and low-detail though, it certainly looks like typical low-budget Activision shovelware, but it at least seems on-par with Tony Hawk HD (if even slightly worse). That isn't saying much, but if the level design is decent, it could be ok.

THPS5

THHD

shiyrley

Banned
Activision, if you can't make something decent out of the franchise, just port the THPS4 engine to every console and PC, and take all maps from the PS2 / gamecube / xbox games for example (which could actually be ALL maps since THPS1 if you count THPS 2x, as it was a remaster of THPS 1 and 2 levels for the first Xbox)

I'll remain exceptical about this. Sucks it won't be released on PC but on worst case scenario and if the game is really good I have a 360 lying around.

We already got TWO OlliOlli's. As far as I'm concerned, Roll7 should dip their toes into making a 3D skating game. I'd buy the shit out of that.

For now I'll settle for their new game, NOT A HERO.

For real though olli olli's tight control and quick reload makes it the ideal skating game. If it goes 3d with all those in check, I'm up for that.

Top Bottom