• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater review thread

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't think the market for skateboarding games is that big, and the way skate just sucked up the Tony Hawk audience makes me think that maybe there is not room for both types.

It's not like there are tons of arcade racers these days. Most franchises tilt at least a little in the sim direction.

Darkangel

This is hilarious/sad in hindsight.

n3jXE4f.jpg

Mahonay

Banned
I don't think the market for skateboarding games is that big, and the way skate just sucked up the Tony Hawk audience makes me think that maybe there is not room for both types.

It's not like there are tons of arcade racers these days. Most franchises tilt at least a little in the sim direction.
Can't really say Skate took the audience away from Tony Hawk when there were no big Tony Hawk games released afterward.

Tony Hawk's Proving Ground flopped out of general disinterest in the franchise at the time, Project 8 had came out just 1 year prior. Now more recently when people were actually craving for a new Tony Hawk we got fucking THPS5.

For the record, Skate 1 and 2 are my favorite skateboard games since THPS2.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Can't really say Skate took the audience away from Tony Hawk when there were no big Tony Hawk games released afterward.

Tony Hawk's Proving Ground flopped out of general disinterest in the franchise at the time, Project 8 had came out just 1 year prior. Now more recently when people were actually craving for a new Tony Hawk we got fucking THPS5.

Project 8 did fine, skate came out alongside Proving Ground, nobody cared about Proving Ground, Activision ditched the series. Obviously we don't live in a world where we can run 1000 experiments to isolate the reasons why PG failed, but I think it's reasonable to say that skate took a lot of interest away from the TH games.

I do think there is interest for a new TH, but I don't think there is some wide well of skateboard game fans to draw upon.

Project 8 did fine, skate came out alongside Proving Ground, nobody cared about Proving Ground, Activision ditched the series. Obviously we don't live in a world where we can run 1000 experiments to isolate the reasons why PG failed, but I think it's reasonable to say that skate took a lot of interest away from the TH games.

I do think there is interest for a new TH, but I don't think there is some wide well of skateboard game fans to draw upon.

I think the problem was that Tony Hawk fans wanted a Tony Hawk game, but Activision wanted to make some kind of Tony Hawk/Skate hybrid to appeal to both markets, and ended up alienating both of them instead.

SURGEdude

So basic functionality like booting up and loading the character easily validates for a 2-3 rating on a 1-10 scale?

Nice, Big Rigs, The Letter, Meme Run and my UE3 project where I made a block you can shoot should be critically-acclaimed then.

Yeah didn't you hear along with Evolve: Buy Me Please Edition 2K is also gonna go ahead with Big Rigs: Best Trucking Sim of November 23 2003 Gold Edition to rake in all that nostalgia money. I hear it comes with a collectors can of 12 year old spent motor oil if you pre-order exclusively at GameStop!

Nibiru

Banned
I stopped playing games for several years in my late teens and it was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater that got me into them again. To see the series getting the shaft like this is really sad.

antitrop

After renting THPS5, I would fucking love to see the game that Game Informer would give less than a 6.5 to. I guess they gave it 5 points just for the console actually booting up.

gossi

And not full retail either, I think it's a bigger "accomplishment" to get such MC with a 60$ game from a big publisher and a known developer than a no-name developer and publisher.

Even more depressingly when Activision signed their Tony Hawk deal the game was by far the #1 selling franchise. Basically the Call of Duty of the time. So although "Riders to Hell Retribution" got a lower score on 360 and PS3... That wasn't exactly a franchise from a big publisher.

Top Bottom