• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Too Human cover story in EGM - "I will never give gaf an exclusive" says Dyack'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
yoopoo said:
No it was about the money, Nintendo wanted SK to make smaller budget games. Its all in this EGM issue.

The budget for Too Human is like 80 million or something.
Jesus. How many copies will it have to sell to break even?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Archie said:
Jesus. How many copies will it have to sell to break even?

Whatever it is, it's quite the gamble for MS.

koam said:
Denis Dyack is an asshat. He was gloating how MGS:TTS would boast every single possible graphic technique the cube could handle and when it came out, it looked like a turb with very few shadows. The game was still good but good have been better.

He also promissed the world with Eternal Darkness and the game was a borefest. I'll never forgive IGN for making me buy it with that stupid 9.6 rating they gave it just because denis was in bed with them.

Silicon Knights games are average at best and i'm being generous.

p.s the control scheme of ED was nothing special, it was different, yeah but it didn't enhance the game in the slightest and made it repetitive more than anything.

This is Dyack though so there's no way to avoid his games being hyped beyond reason leading to eventual disappointment.
I've learned my lesson twice and wont make the same mistake a third time.

Gigglepoo

yoopoo said:
No it was about the money, Nintendo wanted SK to make smaller budget games. Its all in this EGM issue.

The quote in question is, "Nintendo has publicly said that it wants to make smaller, simpler games. Too Human is not a smaller, simpler game - Microsoft better understands the kind of games that we want to make."

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
AdmiralViscen said:
The dev costs will be split across three $60 releases. They'll get by.
If it is $80 million for the trilogy that is not as bad, but that is still a pretty penny. What is currently the most expensive developed game?

Gigglepoo said:
The quote in question is, "Nintendo has publicly said that it wants to make smaller, simpler games. Too Human is not a smaller, simpler game - Microsoft better understands the kind of games that we want to make."

What a fuckin' stupid thing to say. I agree with Confidence Man's post now all of a sudden.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Error2k4 said:
is that just for one game or the whole trilogy?

Might be the whole trilogy. I'm not entirely sure.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I think that budget is for the whole trilogy, 80 million for just one game is a little ridiculous.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
I wish Denis well and I am pretty hyped for Too Human anyway, but one thing I didn't like about the article was it seemed like a name-drop-fest

Shakespeare

Miyamoto

Kojima

Jaffe

God of War

Zelda

Halo

Metal Gear Solid

EDIT:nietzsche

Silicon Knights seems to be going overboard with the association of big names with Too Human.......I really want them to succeed but the Hype this game is getting is a bit much...

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Some people never learn. Google should provide us with the language tools required to decode Dyack's ramblings.

AndoCalrissian said:
- Went to MS because Nintendo wants to make smaller, simpler games and MS understands big buget extravaganzas.

Yeah, I mean Nintendo have hardly demanded that Retro Studios ditch their approach to gaming in favour of Brain Training, or that they will never make "big" games again. Nintendo knows what is good value for money...and SK just hasn't been, especially if their budget has turned out to be that enormous. I mean if that is true about $80m then it is a patently ridiculous situation to be in.

Dyack een bomba zal droppen

Kleegamefan said:
I wish Denis well and I am pretty hyped for Too Human anyway, but one thing I didn't like about the article was it seemed like a name-drop-fest

you forgot nietzsche

Ark-AMN

Banned
Well, I'll wait to play the game before I judge.

I'm usually not too demanding about control scheme's. All I ask from them is that they allow me to have fun and help, not hinder the experience. If Too Human can accomplish that, then there should be no problems.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Kleegamefan said:
Shakespeare

Miyamoto

Kojima

Jaffe

God of War

Zelda

Halo

Metal Gear Solid

one of these things is not like the others
one of these things just doesn't belong
can you tell which thing is not like the others
by the time i finish this song

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
drohne said:
Halo?

While I would hardly call it revolutionary, the scheme does have a unique combination of schemes. One thing seems to be missing, though, and that's the aim button. Maybe the left or right button (not trigger) is used to target. If not, then it would seem that all ranged attacks are done using autotargeting, with emphasis on melee one-on-one combat. I'd like to hear more about all of this, but it's a shame for fans of Nintendo and SK like myself that won't be able to buy this game without chunking out the cash for a 360, which I don't see myself doing anytime soon.

thetrin

ratcliffja said:
While I would hardly call it revolutionary, the scheme does have a unique combination of schemes. One thing seems to be missing, though, and that's the aim button. Maybe the left or right button (not trigger) is used to target. If not, then it would seem that all ranged attacks are done using autotargeting, with emphasis on melee one-on-one combat. I'd like to hear more about all of this, but it's a shame for fans of Nintendo and SK like myself that won't be able to buy this game without chunking out the cash for a 360, which I don't see myself doing anytime soon.

Maybe it works like ED, where you hold down a button and tilt the left stick to aim. *shrug*

In the control setup, all we see are combat buttons. What about commands? Does the article mention any else about the game besides the story and combat?

drohne said:

Miyamoto, drohne hates nintendo.

Shakespeare is actually the correct answer.

thetrin

LiquidMamba said:
In the control setup, all we see are combat buttons. What about commands? Does the article mention any else about the game besides the story and combat?

The game is, for the most part, an action game. If it's anything like DMC, it doesn't have much besides combat.

I am really looking forward to this game and I have enjoyed SK games even if they are way overrated....

But damn dyack pisses me off with some of these claims. I mean PR guys like Peter Moore are allowed to say stuff like that. Someone needs to teach him how to be humble in all honesty. Maybe it is living in japan that is getting to me but he strokes his own ego way too much.

I'd also like to add that when I saw a picture of him my first response was "Ahhh...all makes sense now..."

TheTrin said:
The game is, for the most part, an action game. If it's anything like DMC, it doesn't have much besides combat.

DMC hasn't changed the world, though. Too Human will herald a new era of cyberpunk Norse Shakespeare-Nietzsche stuff. It's gonna be great.

TheTrin said:

If the game is all action, then my interest has gone way down. I doubt Dyack can come up with a system on bar with DMC. Without any platforming or puzzles, the game will probably end up being monotonous.

ratcliffja said:

You can aim with the right stick while firing, or if you hold down the bumpers, you can do the Robotron thing. Camera zooms out for shooting and zooms in for melee.

I didn't see the $80 million number. That seems excessive - where did it come from?

One of the coolest things from the story is that they are planning on having PSO-style co-op play through the entire single-player game, complete with better loot and team moves!

Duderz

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
i actually liked ED and Twin Snakes, and think Too Human looks cool, but Denis does do a bit of a disservice to his own cause by overhyping SK's games.

QFT. The man certainly has passion for what he's doing, but for god's sake, he needs to contain himself when talking about his product.

PhatSaqs

Banned
211_3.jpg
chappelle_player_medvid.jpg

whats so revolutionairy about that control scheme? really?!

To be honest, between microsoft hype and Silicon Knights hype.....there is really no true excitement to be had. The game might look flashy, and might even have a killer e3 showing, but until the day you play it hype it WITH A GRAIN of salt.

I mean, Microsoft did bring us Brute Force, telling us how awesome it would be. SK brought us _______ (insert any SK game) telling us how awesome it would be and AWESOME THEY WEREN'T!

Too Human sounds awesome, but anyone can make something sound awesome, show us a few screens and say 'just wait! ya! just wait!'.

To be honest, that Capcom Zombie game looks fuckin' awesome. I think that will be the killer 360 game this fall that I'm gonna look into. Theres a new trailer at ign check it out guys.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
its the same control scheme as jet lis crap athon and death by sucking starring nina from tekken

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Can't wait to hear more about this, Mass Effect and Gears of War at E3. That will be MS's big three for late 2006 and early 2007.:D

dyls

Didn't Nintendo offer huge amounts of development help to SK for Eternal Darkness? I'm pretty sure that's the only reason the game was even playable (I like it, anyways.) Their other games, 'Legacy of Kain' and 'Dark Legions,' were great stories with a lot of good ideas all wrapped up in shit gameplay (many would argue the same for ED.) I expect Too Human, without Nintendo's help, will be much the same story.

I think sometimes people forget just how much Nintendo basically co-develops games with their second-parties, and how much those companies lose without this authority, even if they gain freedom (and probably years to their lives.) I have no explanation for Geist, unfortunately.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
With all due respect, (and having nothing to do with revolution) I don't think any control method using existing control pads can be called 'revolutionary'- it just can't. I can't imagine a scheme that hasnt been done before in some way. But ok.

Mifune

Mehmber
Can somebody provide a direct quote from the EGM on the changing the world and revolutionary control bit?

I read the article and I don't remember Dyack saying either of those things.

It seems vaguely implied that the control is 'revolutionary' in concert with the automatic camera system they're using. Still sounds overblown a bit, though.

Mifune said:
Can somebody provide a direct quote from the EGM on the changing the world and revolutionary control bit?

I read the article and I don't remember Dyack saying either of those things.

EGM actually are the ones who said those things, neither statement is quoted to anyone.

Ark-AMN

Banned
citrus lump said:
EGM actually are the ones who said those things, neither statement is quoted to anyone.

Misleading thread titles FTW! Neo-GAF strikes again :lol

All posters before this revelation = OWNED! :D

/thread

Speevy

Banned
Awesome graphics, interesting controls, cover story article. I have a feeling that this thread is going to reach 4,000 posts...

Gigglepoo

This is the quote that is closest to the crap EGM came up with:

"I think we'll hopefully take the gamer places that they've never been before. If we want to take entertainment to the next level, then we have to provide the perfect entertainment experience, and that's what defines Too Human above anything else."

Ark-AMN

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
This is the quote that is closest to the crap EGM came up with:

"I think we'll hopefully take the gamer places that they've never been before. If we want to take entertainment to the next level, then we have to provide the perfect entertainment experience, and that's what defines Too Human above anything else."
And he's being humble there. He doesn't say "We HAVE created the perfect entertainment experience", he said "We have to PROVIDE..." Stupid EGM.

Gigglepoo

Ark-AMN said:
And he's being humble there. He doesn't say "We HAVE created the perfect entertainment experience", he said "We have to PROVIDE..." Stupid EGM.

Isn't he also saying Too Human can be defined as the perfect entertainment experience?

Mifune

Mehmber
Gigglepoo said:
Isn't he also saying Too Human can be defined as the perfect entertainment experience?

Could be. Or he could be saying that the desire to create the perfect entertainment experience is what defines the game.

Either way, it's a far fucking cry from "This game just might change the world."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom