• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Demo Coming at E3 (Microsoft Bringing It Home)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Like others, I've been on a roller coaster ride while waiting for this game. I was awaiting it eagerly on GameCube. The roller coaster had been heading steadily downward with Denis' antics and the general bad press, but this news is hopefully the start of an upswing.

The toughest part will probably be to try to forget all the stuff I've read on the controls etc. and go into this demo with an open mind. That's my goal.

Wizman23

Banned
This place is going to be a nuclear meltdown when the demo hits. I for one am looking forward to it....the demo that is.

Eric WK

JdFoX187 said:
I hope the demo turns out to be excellent if for nothing else than to see all of the trolls eat crow. Can't wait though. It's been on my purchase list ever since it was announced for the Xbox 360.

That about sums up everything I was going to say.

I'm looking forward to playing it, but no Gold membership, so it'll be a week or so. Sucks, but oh well. I was never planning on buying it, but I would like to at least experience the controversy for myself, firsthand.

sonicmj1

Flavius said:
I think you're limiting your perspective a bit too much. I don't want to derail, but I would suggest, at least at this point, that saying the demo will "make or break" the game in terms of success is probably overemphasizing the impact of said demos on the marketplace.

I can think of at least three highly successful 360 titles that didn't have a demo at all. Didn't seem to hurt them too much.

Except the difference between Too Human and those games (Gears of War, Halo 3, and.... Call of Duty 4?) is that Too Human has had a lot of negative buzz around it before it came out, due to its poor E3 showing in 06, the long and troubled development history, and the somewhat underwhelming recent previews and videos. Those other games had very positive previews and videos all the way up to release, so there was a lot of good hype around them.

A solid demo would do a lot to clear up the bad vibes surrounding the game.

Victrix said:
heh, it's probably going to be a trainwreck. Even if the demo is *good*, but not *AMAZING*, there will be an epic bloodletting, justified or no

Why? The littany of previews that have said it was *good* but not *AMAZING* have basically left every Too Human hate thread uninhabited due to lack of zazz. They go on for four pages, some one posts a new "Hey, you know, this ain't half bad" preview and everyone moves on, waiting for the next one.

It goes: Media Released. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE. Someone posts new preview in same thread. RAB -- Oh...hm.

The thread will be much the same. There will be people who pop it in just to lulz at the cutscenes and play through just long enough to get a solid list of what mechanics there are to call broken. There will be people who play through it and articulate their disappointment and/or abject horror well. There will be people who actually enjoy it, and articulate that as well.

Hardly a recipe for destruction.

PhatSaqs said:
flair.gif
YES

I love how most of you always say, "well, it's just a demo, let's not judge the full product based off of a demo"..................Now, most of you want to serve Denis crow based off of one. Hypocritical?????

Dyack is really in a no-win situation. Even if it is the greatest thing since Bread Sliced by Pirate Ninjas, there are going to be those who jump on the hating bandwagon because they thing they'll get some cred or a tag out of it. That, and so many people have staked so much on it being utter shiteballs.

Its kind of gone beyond a joke now, although its not like Dyack is Mr Innocent in all of this. Luckily the internetz crowd has very little bearing on the grander scheme of things so its effect will not be felt far and wide, contrary to popular belief.

The demo's effect however.... well he'd better make sure that he doesn't release a half-arsed, featureless demo.

FrankT

BTRA said:
What's wrong with that? Eternal Darkness is on my top 10 list and having met Dennis Dyack at E3 multiple times with behind the scenes talking and playing a game, my interest and hype is out the roof. This game is going to blow everyone away and will be one of if not the best game on the Xbox 360.

I agree in a sense, this will probably be one of the most unique offerings this generation. From the previews I'm getting a sense of real love and hate relationship to the game, but for those that loved it seemed they really did enjoy it and Game pro's preview stating that every 360 owner should go out and pre-order today is a real sense of that love. I also agree with Matt C in that this game will by no means be a stinker, but it will come down to the difference of good and great. As for the demo, yea it will make it I'm fairly certain of that as consumers do not equal GAF as a whole regardless of the gnashing of teeth here. I honestly think this game will sale fairly well overall.

Also, totally off topic, but my nephew just called and I really cannot trust him as far as what he says because he is so young, but anyhow he said that X-Play just stated something about a Gears of War 2 demo on Tuesday. Anyone confirm this? Or were they referring to them playing a demo live on G4 or something (which is more than likely the case).

Nemesis_

Y2Kev said:
*alligators circle*
I
fucking
laughed for about 10 minutes straight. >_> Not that funny but I just imagined it.

Poor Too Human. I hope it pulls through >_>

Mind you, to give you an idea the last time I saw Too Human outside of the box art was the video where it appeared to be running on Unreal Engine at about 10fps. This was the same E3 that Twilight Princess first debutted the trailer AND gave out those DS carts loaded with the trailer. It's been ages.

Regardless, from what I've heard, I'm really worried I won't see an improvement but I am keeping my mind open.

Oh yeah and I watched some shitty vid where someone storms into a bar or something.

I followed this game religiously back in the PSX days but I seriously have no fucking idea what's going on with the art style or direction. Everything I see is completely different every time I even take a look.

This demo will cement my decision to buy the game. I am already buying it anyway out of support for "that Silicon Knights project on PSX that was multi disc" back when I was young, but if the demo really sucks then I am afraid I'll have to let go.

I loved Twin Snakes and Eternal Darkness (and some of the Legacy of Kain series) so naturally I have faith in SK to pull through.

Dyack is a douche though >_>

We'll see come demo time, I guess.

pr0cs

This demo will likely be the most influential demo on XBOX Live. I would say it will make or break the game, similar to Crackdown really.
I am looking forward to it.

Doytch

Blader5489 said:
I can't wait to play it a week later. =\

I'm sort of tempted to use my free 1-month of gold (3rd rrod) so I can play it without getting beforehand opinions from gaf.

pr0cs said:
This demo will likely be the most influential demo on XBOX Live. I would say it will make or break the game, similar to Crackdown really.
I am looking forward to it.

I don't think Too Human could ever have the widespread appeal of Crackdown. I could recommend that game to anyone on Earth. TH caters to a much more specific type of gamer.

hc2

To Dennis Dyack, "You go boy!". Yes!. Should be a long interesting thread when it hits. :lol

duckroll

Exempted said:
Alligators don't circle, sharks do.

Alligators just grab the victims and spin them around underwater until they drown.

In MGS3 they just sorta sat around until you stepped on them and they would snap at you. So I guess there's that.

Exempted

Banned
duckroll said:
In MGS3 they just sorta sat around until you stepped on them and they would snap at you. So I guess there's that.
Those were Indian gavials.

Alligators != crocodiles != gavials.

PSGames

sonicmj1 said:
Except the difference between Too Human and those games (Gears of War, Halo 3, and.... Call of Duty 4?) is that Too Human has had a lot of negative buzz around it before it came out, due to its poor E3 showing in 06, the long and troubled development history, and the somewhat underwhelming recent previews and videos. Those other games had very positive previews and videos all the way up to release, so there was a lot of good hype around them.

A solid demo would do a lot to clear up the bad vibes surrounding the game.

Actually the previews have been very positive for Too Human.

pr0cs

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't think Too Human could ever have the widespread appeal of Crackdown. I could recommend that game to anyone on Earth. TH caters to a much more specific type of gamer.
I'm just saying that Crackdown was panned (and considered a pack-in for the Halo3 beta) until the demo came out, the demo turned out awesome and I'm certain a lot of people bought the game on it's merits alone instead of for Halo3 (which was what was the case in my situation).

can't wait!

...oh wait, my fucking 360 died again yesterday....I'm done with you MS

Happy to hear that SK is putting this out though...good for them!

PSGames said:
Actually the previews have been very positive for Too Human.

Yep. That was my point in the post above. The thread for the demo will, as I said, float on bad vibes and (undoubtedly) network issues for a few dozen pages, when people start getting the demo itself, count on another six pages of lulz, then when tempered and evenhanded positive impressions start to emerge, there will only be people interested in the game left.

Just like every other Too Human thread this week. (See above explanation.)

BTRA said:
What's wrong with that? Eternal Darkness is on my top 10 list and having met Dennis Dyack at E3 multiple times with behind the scenes talking and playing a game, my interest and hype is out the roof. This game is going to blow everyone away and will be one of if not the best game on the Xbox 360.

cabbiegif7nu1nsbx7.gif

Won

On one side I don't really want to bother with it after all the stunts Dyack pulled off, on the other side I want to know how many Nietzsche quotes someone can fit in a single demo.

TDG

Banned
Holy shit, can't wait.

This is going to make or break the game, so regardless of the quality of the demo, GAF will be hilariously entertaining.

AnthonyP

GhaleonEB said:
Good to hear. It will make or break the game.

It really needs to deliver the goods. He was criticizing that the preview code publications played and critiqued was not final code so it wasn't fair. This better be working on newer code then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom