• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Demo Coming at E3 (Microsoft Bringing It Home)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Classic_Gs said:
You got that right.

Why are people thinking this when any recent preview has completely diffused any long term adamant scrutiny of the game? The release of the demo is just going to be like 10,000 previews being released at the same time. They will be totally varied, and in no way flatly condemning and everyone will go back to looking for clues about the X-Mote.

PhatSaqs

Banned
AnthonyP said:
It really needs to deliver the goods. He was criticizing that the preview code publications played and critiqued was not final code so it wasn't fair. This better be working on newer code then.
Regardless, it's still a demo...

Capo

Attack You said:
:lol Damn, I heart Flair.
6950.gif

tanod

when is my burrito
gregor7777 said:
The pressure on this demo is unlike anything we've ever seen before.

Not really. People who are already very critical of it will still be critical of it. They'll just have some justification since they will have actually played it.

It's not like this game has never been shown before.

tanod said:
Not really. People who are already very critical of it will still be critical of it. They'll just have some justification since they will have actually played it.

Thank you, exactly.

mm04

GAF is the only place that the demo "will make or break" Too Human. For the rest of the gaming population, a cool commercial will make or break it in terms of sales. Even mediocre games sell well when advertised correctly.

Going by most of the previews, the game will not "suck". It's either going to reach your expectations, whatever they may be, or it won't. I highly doubt the game will be bad. Only here are games that are not great, not worth buying. And before all the but Dyack said it would change gaming history...newsflash, every good dev thinks their games are good. And every mother thinks their kids are cute. Shocking.

mm04 said:
GAF is the only place that the demo "will make or break" Too Human. For the rest of the gaming population, a cool commercial will make or break it in terms of sales. Even mediocre games sell well when advertised correctly.

The print ad, currently found in many of America's most popular and beloved comic books, is pretty damn cool.

tanod said:

I'd like to think most gamers tend to reserve judgment until they've had the controller in their hand.

Maybe it's just me, but I'll wait to make my assessment of game until I've had a chance to play it.

Given that an extremely small fraction of us have played it but we'll all get the chance to when the demo drops, add in Dyack's insanity around these parts, and you have a recipe for one of the most scrutinized demo's in some time.

You don't agree?

Woo-Fu

Banned
EagleEyes said:
No matter if the demo is actually good or decent it won't have a chance of being fairly judged on this forum.

It is the demo, not the full game. If we judge the game by that we're just as bad as those evil journalists who judge aspects of the game from preview builds---even when those builds are the entire game.
Whatever, Denis.

As far as the success of the game goes, it will be made or broken by the same thing that makes or breaks most 360 games: how many people you see on your friendlists playing and evidently enjoying it. Live has elevated monkey see, monkey do to a whole new level.

Awesome! Denis delivers! Hopefully this will ease up the opinions of the game. People can actually give real opinions after playing it, rather than speculative. Can't wait!

theBishop said:
Is this for Gold members only, or do Silver members get it too? I may have to fix my red ring this weekend...

Not sure if Bringing it Home is any different, but more than likely Gold's will get it day one, and silver's will get it a week later.

Unless E3 is different?

PSGames

gregor7777 said:
I'd like to think most gamers tend to reserve judgment until they've had the controller in their hand.

Maybe it's just me, but I'll wait to make my assessment of game until I've had a chance to play it.

Given that an extremely small fraction of us have played it but we'll all get the chance to when the demo drops, add in Dyack's insanity around these parts, and you have a recipe for one of the most scrutinized demo's in some time.

You don't agree?

Here on GAF of course. The general populace on the other hand has no idea who Dyack even is.

What GAF thinks (good or bad) won't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

TDG

Banned
mm04 said:
So, for example, do you believe that games such as Bioshock or Crackdown had they released terrible demos or no demos at all would have enjoyed the same success they did outside GAF?

Xenon

Great to hear! I will get a lot of entertainment out of this demo.

1 hour playing demo

countless hours reading the TH demo thread

hc2

eznark said:
Blue Dragon is proof that shitty demos can significantly hurt a game

From April 2008:
Even though demos are helpful for consumers looking to try before they buy, a new study is claiming that they're not the most effective marketing tool. In fact, the study recommends that publishers shouldn't bother dealing with demos in order to promote their new games; instead, they should rely more on trailers for their advertising.

Gregory Short and Geoffery Zatkin, of the Electronic Entertainment Design and Research Group, presented their findings at last week's MI6 conference. The EEDAR's study revealed that demos can be useful for spreading information about a game via word-of-mouth, but they're not nearly as effective as a trailer alone. The report claimed that a trailer is much more effective because it generates buzz via online communities.

Also, according to the EEDAR, the sales figures they tracked revealed that games released with a demo and a trailer tend to sell less than those released with only a trailer. Of course, more games are released for the PS3 and the 360 without demos than those that are, and (since the actual study is unavailable to the public, only a report of the EEDAR's MI6 presentation) it's impossible to tell if the methodology was sound.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/04/16/study-suggests-game-demos-are-bad-business-for-publishers

Teknoman

I just hope Microsoft brings more home this year than they did for 2007.

Now 2006, that was a great bringing it home XBL event.

Dyno

LIVE better install some extra servers or get their hands on a lot of extra Jiggawhutz for this demo. The combined simultaneous download from GAF alone is going to create enough pull to form a black - er I mean African American - hole.

Here's hoping it's decent!

duckroll

Dyno said:
LIVE better install some extra servers or get their hands on a lot of extra Jiggawhutz for this demo. The combined simultaneous download from GAF alone is going to create enough pull to form a black - er I mean African American - hole.

Here's hoping it's decent!

I don't think they need to do anything. How many people on GAF have a Gold account anyway? :p

Combine

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
The print ad, currently found in many of America's most popular and beloved comic books, is pretty damn cool.
Do you happen to know if there's a place online where I can view that ad? I have not seen it, but have heard before that it is quite nice.

Flavius

sonicmj1 said:
Except the difference between Too Human and those games (Gears of War, Halo 3, and.... Call of Duty 4?) is that Too Human has had a lot of negative buzz around it before it came out, due to its poor E3 showing in 06, the long and troubled development history, and the somewhat underwhelming recent previews and videos. Those other games had very positive previews and videos all the way up to release, so there was a lot of good hype around them.

A solid demo would do a lot to clear up the bad vibes surrounding the game.

Do you really think the "negative buzz" around here (and elsewhere on the internets) has penetrated the mass market?

I certainly do not.

As others have suggested, there are a whole host of other factors that will have just as much of an impact (and collectively, much more so) on success in terms of sales other than what's been posted on GAF and elsewhere.

And for the dude who pointed to Crackdown...I love that game like few others (and the demo absolutely rocked), but let's be honest, much of it's success was owed to that little "Halo 3 Beta" sticker attached to the front of the game-case.

duckroll

Flavius said:
Do you really think the "negative buzz" around here (and elsewhere on the internets) has penetrated the mass market?

I certainly do not.

As others have suggested, there are a whole host of other factors that will have just as much of an impact (and collectively, much more so) on success in terms of sales other than what's been posted on GAF and elsewhere.

And for the dude who pointed to Crackdown...I love that game like few others (and the demo absolutely rocked), but let's be honest, much of it's success was owed to that little "Halo 3 Beta" sticker attached to the front of the game-case.

The negative buzz might not have penetrated the mass market now, but a poor demo on Live certainly would help do that. People already critical of the game would be vindicated by a poor demo, and the press would pick up on it even more. Casuals that decided to try the demo of the "hot new game" might be turned off from buying it, etc.

On the other hand, a good solid demo will ensure that the negative buzz will never hit the mainstream because the negativity would start to dry up, and those casuals trying the demo would be impressed enough to start talking about it and building on peer pressure to get friends to buy the game too.

I think at this point, a demo definitely shifts the balance of how the public will react to the game one way or the other.

Dyno

duckroll said:
I don't think they need to do anything. How many people on GAF have a Gold account anyway? :p

Heh! Perhaps three month activation cards will fly out the stores.

I don't see how any GAFer could miss sampling the demo. It's like skipping one of the end chapters of a juicy novel. Will there be closure? Will there be redemption? Was the one-eyed cat lady that is Mob Justice right all along?

Tune in next time...

duckroll said:
For Dyack's sake, the demo better smash all the alligators away with a big strong hammer. Otherwise by the time the game is out, there'll only be vultures circling.

Haha we all know the demo wont change any opinions of this game.

The demo of this game has never and will never hold that ability. We'll be coming out of the demo with the very same people for and against it as before.

Meanwhile, we'll have some other folk that were clearly against the game before claim how they still had faith in the title, but the demo totally killed any anticipation they had for it to make it appear as if they were fans of the game whom the demo has totally turned off from purchasing the game.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Not sure if this is true, but last E3 Silver members were given temporary gold membership until the end of E3? I hope so, I would love to download this demo. The thread about the demo will be scary or awesome and 1up will probably run a news story about it.

Combine said:
Do you happen to know if there's a place online where I can view that ad? I have not seen it, but have heard before that it is quite nice.

The only thing I could think of is Marvel's website? They integrate ads into their digital comics, and that might be one of them. I wouldn't be surprised if any free previews on their site feature ads, and they usually tend to be just images of the ads you see in print.

armubaba

And Dyack throws down the gauntlet.

I'm rooting for the guy, but we all know if the demo sucks, nobody here will be pulling any punches.

Flavius said:
I think you're limiting your perspective a bit too much. I don't want to derail, but I would suggest, at least at this point, that saying the demo will "make or break" the game in terms of success is probably overemphasizing the impact of said demos on the marketplace.

I can think of at least three highly successful 360 titles that didn't have a demo at all. Didn't seem to hurt them too much.

In this particular case, i think it will be a make or break moment. not all games have Too Human's history. That said, i'm really looking forward to trying it out!

FrankT

Flavius said:

I certainly do not.

Pretty much spot on and a good demo can really help in certain instances, see Bioshock. I remain in the camp that this will be a love/hate game per the previews, but I'm also fully in the camp that the sales of this game will be solid due to the nature of the 360 audience, and the hole that this kind game can fill.

GhaleonEB

MisterSINISTER said:

I love this gif. :lol

Should be fun to play the demo, after all the bruhaha. At the end of the day, the game will speak for itself and I'm just glad the demo hits before the game does.

the disgruntled gamer said:
So, for example, do you believe that games such as Bioshock or Crackdown had they released terrible demos or no demos at all would have enjoyed the same success they did outside GAF?
This. Let's not forget Lost Planet or Dead Rising in the list. There are many.

The demo will matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom