• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too many Next Generation Titles are using Unreal Engine 3 (56k No)

It's horrific how many titles are using it. It's leading to a lot of "next gen" realistic titles... mainly shooters, looking the same. And quite frankly it's getting bland.

Ok I'm starting to lose my cool here guys. Maybe I should have stated my position more clearly from the beginning:

All the titles look oustanding. I mean, come on, it's next generation. The poly count is high, the textures are unbelievable, the resolutions and all that other mumbo-jumbo is just fine.

In no ****ing way did I insult their look, their style, call them ugly, or attack them, so all you posters with paranoid sticks up your rear-ends can quit with the CRAP about me trolling.

I'm just saying I think programmers should try more of an artistic direction to their games, because they are USING the engine too much, and it seems like for the same purposes. All action, lots of armor, fancy lighting, and big weapons and quite frankly, it's getting bland. The games are beautiful yes, but at the same time there's an almost "I've seen this before" (IN TERMS OF GRAPHICS) effect to it. I remember one specifc case when I looked at a screen of Gears of War for X360 in GameInformer, turned the page to Unreal Tourney for PS2 and saw The EXACT same character model and car, and almost the same gun and armor. It's like their stifiling their artistic freedom by constantly attaching themselves to the engine, and I believe they are using it too much.

I then pulled out THESE screens to try and show you the huge similarities between titles with different themese to them, but seemingly the same graphical style BECAUSE OF the Unreal Engine and those trying to mimick it.

So you can quit with all the bull about me trolling.

Here's our Mass Effect Xbox360:
mass-effect-20060929023315155.jpg

Our Too Human Xbox360:
too-human-20060509032832386.jpg

Our Gears of War Xbox360:
Gears.jpg

Bioshock Xbox360:
bioshock-20060829080013070.jpg

Unreal Tourney for PS3:
UnrealTourney.jpg

Even companies like Capcom are trying to mimic their own specially designed engines to look like, or better than Unreal Engine 3. Like Devil May Cry 4:
devil-may-cry-4-20060925014447183.jpg

When will it end?!

I don't get it. If everything looks so samey to you, then don't you think that others share the same feeling...like people who make the games? Once that happens, you'll see more divergent and wholly different artstyles as a reaction to make their games stand out visually.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It will end when Unreal 4 comes out.

Seriously, Epic made a fantastic and super flexible engine and is selling it like middleware. It should be no surprised that everyone wants to use it.

Nameless

I can assure you, there isn't, nor will there ever be a game that uses the Unreal Engine 3(or anything remotely like it) on the Wii.

I've also noticed Unreal Engine Games seem to have an obsession with metal and heavy armor...

even the RPG Lost Odyssey uses the engine for it's graphic style. And guess what there's lot of? Metal and Armor

pcostabel

Gold Member
The engine has nothing to do with the artstyle. It's just that it's an engine designed for FPS, and FPS are only popular in the US, where developers still think bald space marines are cool. Hence the similarities.

We need more artistic approaches to these games. Otherwise they'll all end up lookking the same soon. At least in terms of the FPS, Third Person Shooter/Action genre

GCQuinton

Lost Odyssey uses it too, so they're not all shooters. Midway's got the engine themselves too, so who knows we may be getting our next-gen MK fix or TNA Wrestling via UE3. Different types of games will eventually come over time.

And oh yeah, you forgot Turok.

pcostabel said:
The engine has nothing to do with the artstyle. It's just that it's an engine designed for FPS, and FPS are only popular in the US, where developers still think bald space marines are cool. Hence the similarities.

It isn't designed for FPS, it is designed for anything the developer can think of.

pr0cs

I don't really care, I'm interested in all the games above, not for the engine but for the game itself.

If anything less and less gaming engines will be common, the extreme cost to develop an entire next gen engine from scratch, the cost to build a AAA title around said engine is counter productive to many developers these days.

They can leverage a proven engine that takes a lot of work off their shoulders and can concentrate on writing a game instead. It all comes down to style and design and the art people you have working for you. Bioshock for example (not really sure why you listed it) doesn't really look like any of the other titles, mostly due to its art assets.

In the end I'm all for having great looking games, running and good framerates, offering awesome online multiplay options every 2 years (as opposed to every 5 when the developer is saddled to writing a new engine for every game).

All Unreal engines games look different to me... same as last gen. can you believe the splinter cell games ran on unreal engine? They looked so different compared to UT 2004! Standardized engines absolutely essential to the survival of developers! Everyone is doing it! Sony has ICE engine, Square Enix has White Engine, Insomniac has their own engine, Capcom has their own engine, I wouldn't be surprised if Konami had their own engine as well.

It's a paucity of really good art design that you're seeing. The engine, contrary to what many people think, does not update all art to look the same.

I'd say not enough games are using it. And as long as the vast majority of UE3.0 games utterly rock (IE Gears of War, Mass Effect, BIOSHOCK, Unreal 2007, etc), no real gamer should be complaining.

ManaByte

Gold Member
pcostabel said:

Unreal Technology stopped being a "FPS engine" two iterations ago. Basically, that stopped with Unreal 1.

Unreal 2 was used in RPGs, MMORPGs, action games, etc.

Unreal 3 will be used the same way.

ManaByte said:
Unreal Technology stopped being a "FPS engine" two iterations ago. Basically, that stopped with Unreal 1.

Unreal 2 was used in RPGs, MMORPGs, action games, etc.

Unreal 3 will be used the same way.
i actually played a pinball game using an unreal engine before UE2 was out. adventure island pinball or something.

isn't there already a racing game (fatal inertia)?

Dahbomb

Wait...... I am confused. =/

What is exactly is this person"trolling" on? Did he just say DMC4 has shitty graphics? :lol

Dahbomb said:
What is exactly is this person"trolling" on? Did he just say DMC4 has shitty graphics? :lol

No.
BUT it sounds like you're saying all of the other games listed have shitty graphics!
You're awesome!

Ranger X

Well those games there (besides DMC4) all look the same because they have similar art styles. It's that genre of visual that should stop maybe, not the engine!

Art direction wise Bioshock, Gears of War, and Mass Effect are pretty different. Look is more similar in the lighting but even then they diverge. Doesn't matter though, the engine doesn't dictate the artstyle. The concept and genre has far more influence.

Dahbomb

PepsimanVsJoe said:
BUT it sounds like you're saying all of the other games listed have shitty graphics!

No, I never said that either. :lol

Guys I am still confused here... Is the guy trolling on UE3, bald headed space marines, art design? Just the record I think the first 3 games look phenomenal and don't look that much alike (aside from similarity in sci-fi genre).

Dahbomb said:

Guys I am still confused here... Is the guy trolling on UE3, bald headed space marines, art design? Just the record I think the first 3 games look phenomenal and don't look that much alike (aside from similarity in sci-fi genre).

Frankly man I don't know.

akbar.jpg

Dahbomb said:

Yea wtf? Im not sure whats the point of this thread:lol

Jim

Oi vey... I know Assassin's Creed and Fatal Inertia (both UE3 powered) look exactly the same as the above mentioned games. It's the f'ing artists not the f'ing engine.

assassins-creed-20060529012618737.jpg

Well, if developers would try to make their games look brighter this wouldn't be a problem.

Remember how alot of last gen SEGA games have that "bright blue sky and clouds" look?

Or how Gamecube games make excellent use of color?

Yeah, thats totally being ignored this gen in favor of "the dark look".

Its like everyone is copying the old Xbox look.

antiloop

I have seen this topic somewhere before. But I agree, too many games using the engine.

It's just that it would cost too much for every developer to make their own engine.

Wollan

Ah but Jim you forget, Assassins Creed is actually really set in the future and so is Fatal Inertia. Sci fi haunts you with UE3.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
What's up with the trollish threads today? :(

To the OP: Whatever man. as of today, NONE OF THOSE GAMES ARE EVEN OUT YET. You know nothing about the variety of enemies, environments, game control, play mechanics, NOTHING. But you're able to bring up a couple screens and boom! "All are the same and its so horrific and abysmal and disgusting and lazy developers and bad art and travesty of programming and..."

Tell ya what OP, let all the games be released, play them all, then come back and talk about similarities. Until then, go play a game or something.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Well, if developers would try to make their games look brighter this wouldn't be a problem.

Remember how alot of last gen SEGA games have that "bright blue sky and clouds" look?

Or how Gamecube games make excellent use of color?

Yeah, thats totally being ignored this gen in favor of "the dark look".

Its like everyone is copying the old Xbox look.

It's crap like this that made me drop the "It's a trap" moniker on this thread.

Can somebody photoshop a bright blue sky in all of those UE3 game screenshots? Hell just make everything brighter. Actually make some games brighter and some games darker...You see UE3 isn't similar at all!

Bad thread! No treat for you!

Top Bottom