• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too many Next Generation Titles are using Unreal Engine 3 (56k No)

adg1034

Jim said:
Oi vey... I know Assassin's Creed and Fatal Inertia (both UE3 powered) look exactly the same as the above mentioned games. It's the f'ing artists not the f'ing engine.

assassins-creed-20060529012618737.jpg

Ummm... AC is not UE3 powered. It uses Ubi's proprietary Scimitar engine (probably being used in POP Next-Gen, as well.

jett

D-Member
Jim said:
Oi vey... I know Assassin's Creed and Fatal Inertia (both UE3 powered) look exactly the same as the above mentioned games. It's the f'ing artists not the f'ing engine.

assassins-creed-20060529012618737.jpg

What? Since when does Assassin's Creed use UE3? I thought it was an in-house engine developed specifically for AC.

StevieP

Banned
I tend to agree, Bioshock is the only one that looks slightly different, really. Let's look at some more pictures (stupid bald space marines with sci fi guns):

Bioshock:
bioshock-20060512110625977.jpg

Huxley:
huxley-20060511010927211.jpg

Mass Effect:
mass-effect-20060509032117436.jpg

Too Human:
too-human-20060509032826027.jpg

Unreal Tournament:
unreal-tournament-2007-20050512030557619.jpg

Gears of War:
e3-2006-new-gears-of-war-screens-20060509031016166.jpg

Sure, some of these are clearly bullshots but the artstyle is still there, and if this is what "next gen" is about, somebody please put better use to middleware!

Xiaoki

Those are all screen shots from Unreal Engine 3.0 games from the developers with a little thing called TALENT.

Why not post up a couple screen shots of Frame City Killer and show the dark underbelly of these middleware graphics engines.
If a developer just outright sucks then no amount of middleware is going to make their game look good.

If you think those games look similar then it's probably because of Unreal Engine 3.0s overwhelming overreliance on normal mapping. NORMAL MAPPING IS GOD!!!! Bleh. Normal mapping is sooooo 2004.

StevieP said:
I tend to agree, Bioshock is the only one that looks slightly different, really. Let's look at some more pictures (stupid bald space marines with sci fi guns):

Sure, some of these are clearly bullshots but the artstyle is still there, and if this is what "next gen" is about, somebody please put better use to middleware!

I like how none of the "space marines" you posted are bald.

Jim

antiloop said:
Edit: 3 posts in a row with the same question. not needed ;)

Yeah, I'm retarted, been a long morning. Forgot it was "thought" to be running on UE3 at first.

Hunter D

None of the character designs in those games look alike. The only thing that they all have in common is that they are science fiction themed.

gbovo

StevieP said:
Huxley:
huxley-20060511010927211.jpg

Mass Effect:
mass-effect-20060509032117436.jpg

Too Human:

Unreal Tournament:
unreal-tournament-2007-20050512030557619.jpg

Gears of War:
e3-2006-new-gears-of-war-screens-20060509031016166.jpg

The only complaint I have to the artists making these games is that WHY do the characters all have to wear armour?!?!?! ArmourEngine3 ftl :(

Tieno

gbovo said:
The only complaint I have to the artists making these games is that WHY do the characters all have to were armour?!?!?! ArmourEngine3 ftl :(
To protect themself.
But:

904_0004.jpg

827_0003.jpg

786_0005.jpg

+ that other girl in some Gears of War video.

StevieP

Banned
gbovo said:
The only complaint I have to the artists making these games is that WHY do the characters all have to were armour?!?!?! ArmourEngine3 ftl :(

Ballooning game dev costs = less creativity? People obviously like shooting space weapons in space armor at space creatures, so when your'e spending over 20 million to make a game, you'd better believe it's not going to go beyond the folds of what we've already seen. Bigger, badder, prettier maybe - but aside from Bioshock, game design and art style are taking a backseat to bump-mapped plastic steroid-people with large weapons and armor.

Apharmd Battler said:
THe subject of this thread is just silly. Who cares, as long as the games are great?! :)

Because not all of us like having characters with and without hair.
Because not all of us like having characters with and without armor and/or clothing, Because not all of us like characters that are humans and not humans.
Because not all of us like games with futuristic settings and not futuristic settings.
Because not all of us like games that FPS's and not FPS's.
This is why we fight!

PepsimanVsJoe said:
It's crap like this that made me drop the "It's a trap" moniker on this thread.

Can somebody photoshop a bright blue sky in all of those UE3 game screenshots? Hell just make everything brighter. Actually make some games brighter and some games darker...You see UE3 isn't similar at all!

Bad thread! No treat for you!

I'm more concerned about art trends than UE3. A universal open source game engine isn't a bad thing.

This is obviously supposed to be a stealth 'support wii' thread by showing somehow that the powerful consoles lack aesthetical diversity. But Ue3 is better than the poo textures and dreamcast polycounts of many wii projects, metroid prime 3 and mario galaxy the exceptions.

Why do you all hate armor? You want to fight off an alien onslaught naked?

Please give some suggestions on what everyone SHOULD be wearing. Please enlighten me because obviously you know way more about game development than companies like Bioware and Epic.

Also to the Nintendo supporters I give you...
samus.jpg

Oh noes teh big armour!

Vrolokus

Banned
I actually know the TC from GameFAQs, he's a hardcore Nintendrone. Three guesses on the point of this thread, and the first two don't count.

Borys

Banned
1) Mass Effect looks like HOT SEX.
2) It's still quite sad that even games like Mass Effect (or Crysis for that matter) doesn't look as good as that Ackbar pic from Star Wars. We are almost 40 years after SW premiere and games (real-time graphics) still don't look "real".

Bah, maybe in next 10 years...

PepsimanVsJoe said:
!

Although I hate that this is some dumbass stealth pro nintendo thread, there does need to be more aesthetical variety in next gen. I really want to see what the next okami would like like. Or maybe a game that uses black and white exclusviely or squiggly line character models or some other awesome crazy shit.

PepsimanVsJoe said:

Please give some suggestions on what everyone SHOULD be wearing. Please enlighten me because obviously you know way more about game development than companies like Bioware and Epic.

Also to the Nintendo supporters I give you...
samus.jpg

Oh noes teh big armour!

ITs so different from the others its not even funny, besides how old is the metroid franchise???

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
LanceStern said:
It's horrific how many titles are using it. It's leading to a lot of "next gen" realistic titles... mainly shooters, looking the same. And quite frankly it's getting bland.

Here's our Mass Effect Xbox360:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/LanceStern/mass-effect-20060929023315155.jpg[/IMG]

Our Too Human Xbox360:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/LanceStern/too-human-20060509032832386.jpg[/IMG]

Our Gears of War Xbox360:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/LanceStern/Gears.jpg[/IMG]

Bioshock Xbox360:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/LanceStern/bioshock-20060829080013070.jpg[/IMG]

Unreal Tourney for PS3:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/LanceStern/UnrealTourney.jpg[/IMG]

Even companies like Capcom are trying to mimic their own specially designed engines to look like, or better than Unreal Engine 3. Like Devil May Cry 4:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/LanceStern/devil-may-cry-4-20060925014447183.jpg[/IMG]

When will it end?!

gbovo said:

The only way to survive otherwise is when you're in a John Woo movie.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Xiaoki said:
If you think those games look similar then it's probably because of Unreal Engine 3.0s overwhelming overreliance on normal mapping. NORMAL MAPPING IS GOD!!!! Bleh. Normal mapping is sooooo 2004.

You are just ignorant if you think normal mapping is 2004. I see non educated people say this all the time and it's just funny to see.

Something like normal mapping is not bad. It's all in the way you use it. Kojima uses normal mapping for old man Snake, but it doesn't look as bad as others doing it.

StevieP

Banned
Probationsmack said:
This is obviously supposed to be a stealth 'support wii' thread by showing somehow that the powerful consoles lack aesthetical diversity. But Ue3 is better than the poo textures and dreamcast polycounts of many wii projects, metroid prime 3 and mario galaxy the exceptions.

WTF? No, I seriously hate the fact that devs who are using this really powerful engine can only come up with the same crap over and over. Mass Effect, for instance, looks to have some actual game variety but there is still space shooting. And now the Wii has dreamcast level graphics? Take the Wii hatred to another thread, this is discussing the ArmorEngine 3 games that all look too similar. And in truth, they do. Plastic-coated space heroes FTL!

Chi-Town

Borys said:
2) It's still quite sad that even games like Mass Effect (or Crysis for that matter) doesn't look as good as that Ackbar pic from Star Wars. We are almost 40 years after SW premiere and games (real-time graphics) still don't look "real".

Star Wars came out in 1977.

Bluemercury said:
ITs so different from the others its not even funny, besides how old is the metroid franchise???

How is it so different? The OP complained about armor, I bring you someone wearing armor, and still I hear it.

StevieP said:
And now the Wii has dreamcast level graphics? Take the Wii hatred to another thread, this is discussing the ArmorEngine 3 games that all look too similar. And in truth, they do. Plastic-coated space heroes FTL!

Wii dreamcast visuals is the result of lazy developers with miniscule budgets. Im quite aware its capable of more.

Tony HoTT

Banned
The armor in Gears of War looks so ****in stupid though. I mean I can't imagine a normal human body filling up the insides. Just look at the guy all the way on the right of that group photo and your brain will tell you everything is wrong. The guy is just completely disproportionate. Especially the legs.

Tony HoTT said:
The armor in Gears of War looks so ****in stupid though. I mean I can't imagine a normal human body filling up the insides. Just look at the guy all the way on the right of that group photo and your brain will tell you everything is wrong. The guy is just completely disproportionate. Especially the legs.

Instead of complaining all the time maybe you guys should get together and design some fashionable armor.

I expect a full report with pictures on my desk in one week.

jarrod

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Remember how alot of last gen SEGA games have that "bright blue sky and clouds" look?
*sigh*

I still love trademark SEGA Blue Sky. After Burner Climax nicely illustrates how it should live on in the coming generation.

As an aside, how manay JP made games use UE3? Just Lost Odyssey and (the canceled) Frame City Killers?

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Instead of complaining all the time maybe you guys should get together and design some fashionable armor.

I expect a full report with pictures on my desk in one week.

Seriously. Unless one of you clowns is named Frank Quitely then shut your mouths.

The fact is that the design in all those games, to anyone who actually pays attention to shit and doesn't just go "AHuRAHurAHUR theyz all wearin armore and I'ma call its ther ARMORE ENGINE 3, giddit?", is hell of varied. The industrial design and the graphic design is worlds apart in each of those games. Wow, they all carry guns and wear armor. Here's a newsflash. In Lord Of The Rings, they all carried swords and wore armor. And damn it I HAD SO MUCH TROUBLE TELLING THEM APART. (Update: No, I Actually Did Not)

If you guys want to step to the plate about this stuff, at least back it up with more than lazy generalizations.

You can say they're not your cup of tea, but in no way do they all look the same.

morrison_xmen_2.jpg

Ya heard?

agent069

Banned
I don't like all those next gen effect, bloom lighting, normal mapping, HDR, they make game like I have some shit in my eyes :(

I just want 60fps, 4xAA and Anisotrop filtering :(

element

Well there are two reasons why Unreal Engine 3 is used by so many people.
1. It actually is a very well done toolset
2. Their isn't anything else that comes close

Lots of games are using UE3 mostly for the toolset. We might start seeing some differences because people will be re-writing the renderer to do exactly what they need. Here are some other games.
Turok
Medal of Honor: Airborne
DC Online
Stargate Worlds
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway

jax (old)

Banned
Tony HoTT said:

this is way stupider and totally hideos.... SK really should stop hyping their shit and wait til they get something working and out the door before... nevermind...

didnt' they drop UE3 or are they going to soldier throught their "issues"?

mass-effect-20060929023315155.jpg

the rippled glass in that shot = HAWT

maybe i'm nuts but UT, Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Too Human are about as varied as FPS games get these days.
this thread fails the intelligence test

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
as far as i'm concerned, not enough developers are using ue3 at this point. its a stellar engine, seems to scale pretty well to different visual styles and genres, and outclasses nearly any competitor. plus, iirc, both MS and sony have licensed it allowing any 1st party to use it.

kewlsanx

Banned
I dont think its the Unreal Engine itself that makes these games look similiar in design. I agree that it is the artists that make the game what it lookslike. I think its a matter of cultural differences in art as well. These unreal engine games are maninly american games, which can explain why most are fps, over sized armor, and bald men. If you look at some of the Japanese games using the engine, you dont really see that. And if anyone can render hair using the unreal engine, the japanese can do it

ToxicAdam

You can make the same (bad) arguement about Source games on the PC. But, once you play each game, that idea fades away. The playstyles, art assets and controls are so different that you don't notice the similarities.

Its called immersion. The difference between analyzing static screenshots and actually ... playing the game.

jax (old)

Banned
element said:
One would assume that they are modifying the engine to their needs.

there was some story about SK dropping UE3 after EEE but I don't care for them so I didn't follow the thread. My post was about that... did they follow through or did they get back on the UE3 bandwagon?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Jax said:
there was some story about SK dropping UE3 after EEE but I don't care for them so I didn't follow the thread. My post was about that... did they follow through or did they get back on the UE3 bandwagon?

pretty sure that turned out to be false

Top Bottom