• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too many Next Generation Titles are using Unreal Engine 3 (56k No)

element said:
Well there are two reasons why Unreal Engine 3 is used by so many people.
1. It actually is a very well done toolset
2. Their isn't anything else that comes close

Lots of games are using UE3 mostly for the toolset. We might start seeing some differences because people will be re-writing the renderer to do exactly what they need. Here are some other games.
Turok
Medal of Honor: Airborne
DC Online
Stargate Worlds
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway

These types of responses I like. Other than those "this is stealth trollin" "get a brain" "You're wrong"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure it's the artists ultimately, but they are all using it to create this big-armored, bloom-lit, normal-mapped dark-roomed, grates, big-weapon games, and I'm thinking that's only because UE3 showed a demo like that at the very introduction of the engine.

Bioshock = looks hot.

MassEffect = looks to play hot.

DMC4 = see avatar

Gears of War, Too Human and everything looks like shit though. Too Human over-uses the blurry, oily, smeary, fuzzy look with every single thing radiating light like a bad habit. Gears of War just looks wrong, everything about that game is off. Look at their feet for god sakes.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
How the **** did DMC4 get into this thread in the first place?

I unno, it was in the original topic creator's post though. I think he was trying to say DMC4 uses unreal engine, or is inspired by it. I like the many here, still can't exactly pinpoint what he's trying to get across with this thread.

C- Warrior said:
I unno, it was in the original topic creator's post though. I think he was trying to say DMC4 uses unreal engine, or is inspired by it. I like the many here, still can't exactly pinpoint what he's trying to get across with this thread.

Maybe I should have put: "DO you Agree or Disagree. Any thoughts or comments"

>_>

I brought DMC4 there because it was stated that Capcom created their own engine for DMC4 for PS3 to rival Unreal Engine 3. I believe that was their words. You can see a little bit of that big-weapon, high armour, same-lighting sort of graphical approach in it too, and I say too many games use/mimick the UE3.

qcf x2

I agree with the OP, even though I like UE3. Variety is the spice of life, and all these games using the engine is obviously leading to a bit of a uniform look. I'd like to see some original engines used as well, although as I said I do like UE3.

qcf x2 said:
I agree with the OP, even though I like UE3. Variety is the spice of life, and all these games using the engine is obviously leading to a bit of a uniform look. I'd like to see some original engines used as well, although as I said I do like UE3.
Again the look of the games has nothing to do with the fact that they are using UE3 and more to do with the fac that they are high budget games (three from the same publisher) in an industry that like to be comfortable artistically rathjer than try new things.

karasu

This isn't a bad thread, but you're dead wrong about DMC. The Big swords have been their since the beginning, and what armor?

Luckett_X

Banned
The UE3 engine is a means to an end. Just because developers are lazy and just settle for the standard graphics toolsets involved rather than going for newer styles and so forth certainly isnt a shortcoming of UE3.

I dont think the thread creator quite understands what it means when companies are using UE3. Its like a standardised game creation sdk, for stuff like physics and rendering. It doesnt mean every game using it is going to look identical.

So yeah, I dont really get the point of this topic, other than the poster being confused or misinformed or whatever. Some games are looking alike. Wow, will wonders never cease!

karasu said:
This isn't a bad thread, but you're dead wrong about DMC. The Big swords have been their since the beginning, and what armor?

Yeah, I'm not seeing it. I don't think Capcom is influenced by unreal engine at all...

turok-20060503002627373.jpg

devil-may-cry-4-20060925014443808.jpg

Hunter D

This thread is horrible. The thread starter and other posters don't even know what the influences are for the huge body armor and technology in american and european character designs. Go read books written by Robert Heinlein, Philip Dick, and the book Necromancer and you will have a better understanding of the character designs.

element

kia said:
I thought Bioshock uses UE 2.5
Can someone confirm it uses UE 3.0?
they moved to UE3 a while ago. before E3. They were building the game on a modified version of UE2.5, but moved over to UE3 for the updates in the tools.

neoxavean

Banned
It's funny to see how many people fail to understand what the hell a graphics engine like UE3 even does.

From a lot of the comments, you'd think people using it are required to use a certain set of built in character models and textures.

Pimpwerx

element said:
Well there are two reasons why Unreal Engine 3 is used by so many people.
1. It actually is a very well done toolset
2. Their isn't anything else that comes close

Lots of games are using UE3 mostly for the toolset. We might start seeing some differences because people will be re-writing the renderer to do exactly what they need. Here are some other games.
Turok
Medal of Honor: Airborne
DC Online
Stargate Worlds
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Didn't the original Unreal come with one of the best level editors ever? I never actually used it, but I remember it was one of the first editors based on extrusion. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else? PEACE.

sky

Francias Castiglione said:
It isn't designed for FPS, it is designed for anything the developer can think of.
Well... I'd say it's designed primarily for whatever game EPIC is currently working on as an engine showcase, and most of the time those are FPSs. If you've spent time with it, it's shooter-roots are very apparent. But it's still general purpose enough to be used for a lot of other things.

neoxavean said:
It's funny to see how many people fail to understand what the hell a graphics engine like UE3 even does.

From a lot of the comments, you'd think people using it are required to use a certain set of built in character models and textures.

It's NOT funny how you seem to be ignoring the post where I said it's the artists' decision, hence me not saying Unreal is causing the uniformity.

It's just so many companies/developers are using UE3, and with that they are sticking to the same look for a lot of their games because they don't seem to have to do much.

And no I don't feel like reading Phillip Dick or those other authors, I have more important text to read than how big armor influences character design. Pick another inspiration than the same things. You think the majority of American buyers are even going to think about that?

element

Pimpwerx said:
Didn't the original Unreal come with one of the best level editors ever? I never actually used it, but I remember it was one of the first editors based on extrusion. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else? PEACE.
Unreal used (it might still I haven't used UE3 yet), subtractive geometry. I personally found it easier to grasp then additive, but it is a mixed bag. In terms of editors, I think Unreal is by far the best one around. Mostly due to documentation and quality of tutorials available. Most popular level editors have similar features, but can be cumbersome to get something up and running quickly.

hmm I dont think you can blame the engine. These systems are all so powerful so developers are going to end up doing HDR, displacement mapping etc even if they made an engine from scratch. So games would still look similar, they can only be differentiated by art style.

nitewulf

actually bioshock looks quite different. and mass effect looks like hot sex. and lost oddyssey looks like a japanese fantasy rpg. so that tells me it's all in the artists hands.
the bald, bulky, space marines thing is an american thing, the games would look the same even if they used different engines.

LanceStern said:
And no I don't feel like reading Phillip Dick or those other authors, I have more important text to read than how big armor influences character design. Pick another inspiration than the same things. You think the majority of American buyers are even going to think about that?
Though I disagree with what he was saying the poster whom you quoted was saying that there is a tradition for this type of design in American Science Fiction, so its not they are drawing inspiration from that like some lousy American artist trying his hand at manga, rather they are working inside that tradition so it is a natural fit.

mr_nothin

Banned
LOL
Devil May Cry copying UNREAL??!?!
Devil May Cry 1 was released in 2000/2001 IIRC.....
I mean come on...
Lol, DMC copying Unreal engine.....pffffftt

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
LanceStern said:
Maybe I should have put: "DO you Agree or Disagree. Any thoughts or comments"

>_>

I brought DMC4 there because it was stated that Capcom created their own engine for DMC4 for PS3 to rival Unreal Engine 3. I believe that was their words. You can see a little bit of that big-weapon, high armour, same-lighting sort of graphical approach in it too, and I say too many games use/mimick the UE3.

Dude, I don't think you know what you are trying to say.. DMC4 looks like that, because it has a kickass art department. Dante and co, have been using huge swords since the series creation. On the other end, UT has always looked like UT. The other games have their respective references from different forms of art(Books, movies, and such). Hell, Turok has always had space type stuffz in the games. Maybe...Mass Effect has space marine stuff, since it...you know, has aliens and stuff in it.

Take your complaints up with the respective art departments and storywriters of the games, not Epic and its Unreal Engine.

Also, be patient. Give them a second to get cracking on stuff like ZoE.

LanceStern is a sandy vagina. UE3 is fine, it's just the art direction of much of the games leaves something to be desired. Also, Bioshock runs on UE2.5.

Top Bottom