• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.
he idea of more adventures inside other evil mmo's did not appeal to me at all. whole series should ahve taken place inside Sword art online and have been 13 episodes instead of 26

It should have been 26 episodes inside of SAO, with more time spent developing Kirito and Asuna's relationship before they decided to spend 3 episodes just having sex in their cabin in the woods. It would also allow all the secondary characters who are introduced for 1 chapter then never seen again a chance to be more involved with the plot.

It should have been 26 episodes inside of SAO, with more time spent developing Kirito and Asuna's relationship before they decided to spend 3 episodes just having sex in their cabin in the woods. It would also allow all the secondary characters who are introduced for 1 chapter then never seen again a chance to be more involved with the plot.

i agree with that. they haul ass up that tower. there was defiantly room for development of cahracters.

the one thing i can say is its wayy better than accel world. could not have stopped watching that fast enough.

on an unrelated note. anyone here read/watch fairy tail. It sounds like one piece with magic which sounds awesome!

is it good?

i agree with that. they haul ass up that tower. there was defiantly room for development of cahracters.

the one thing i can say is its wayy better than accel world. could not have stopped watching that fast enough.

on an unrelated note. anyone here read/watch fairy tail. It sounds like one piece with magic which sounds awesome!

is it good?

It's very... average. It never does anything that'll make you think "god this is awful" or make you think "god this is incredible". Like One Piece it really harps on the whole cast of characters in the guild as a family and having them all be close. Unlike One Piece which starts us off with 1 character and has a follow him as he builds his crew/family Fairy Tail throws us into the guild after it's been established and all the characters already know each other.

Best way I can describe it is imagine if OP started with Nico Robin joining the Straw Hats, when all the usual hilarity of the crew starts up we know nothing about the characters and can't really connect with them outside of Robin who's our PoV character. As Fairy Tail begins to explain all the characters back stories and show how they all joined FT it does become a lot better. It's not anywhere near as good as OP or anywhere near great but it's consistent.

789shadow

Banned
Fairy Tail is the worst power-of-friendship bullshit ever. Literally what should be in the dictionary next to "Terribly Generic Shounen".

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Now that all the episodes are back up on hulu American Toonami fans basically have no excuse to not catch up. You can do it as you go along without any more spoilers then the current cast (which you've probably already be spoiled on as an anime fan just by any piece of OP artwork.)

Now that all the episodes are back up on hulu American Toonami fans basically have no excuse to not catch up. You can do it as you go along without any more spoilers then the current cast (which you've probably already be spoiled on as an anime fan just by any piece of OP artwork.)

i dunno, 206 episodes is a pretty decent excuse lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
i dunno, 206 episodes is a pretty decent excuse lol

2 episodes a day, 7 days a week will take less than an hour a day including hulu's adds. If you skip the opening and the recap you could push it to 3, but let's stick with 2 a day. Perfectly reasonable for most people.

You'll catch up in only 15 weeks and you'll still be outside the next major plot segment.

2 episodes a day, 7 days a week will take less than an hour a day including hulu's adds. If you skip the opening and the recap you could push it to 3, but let's stick with 2 a day. Perfectly reasonable for most people.

You'll catch up in only 15 weeks and you'll still be outside the next major plot segment.

Really they have 20 weeks to catch up, that's when
Aokiji finally appears and the series really begins to reference events from the past

not everyone wants to watch that much just to get caught up to something.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Going to be very hard to go to one episode a week. Also not looking forward to my first filler experience.

The filler in this segment of the show is fairly innocuous. It's not nearly as bad as the filler earlier in the series and especially not as bad as some of the filler that comes later (just wait until we get to Little East Blue in like 5 years!). It just kind of "is."

So One Piece starts this Saturday? or did it start this last weekend? What episode is it starting at again? I don't recall when the dubs ended, I want to say right before Water 7. At least I think it covered Thriller Bark...

Seda

So One Piece starts this Saturday? or did it start this last weekend? What episode is it starting at again? I don't recall when the dubs ended, I want to say right before Water 7. At least I think it covered Thriller Bark...

This Saturday starting at 207. Funi releases Season 4 Voyage 5 soon which goes to 263 which is right before Enies Lobby.

This Saturday starting at 207. Funi releases Season 4 Voyage 5 soon which goes to 263 which is right before Enies Lobby.
Thanks
Thriller Bark is later.

I knew it, should have thought about it for 5 seconds and I'd have realized who was in the crew at that point making it easily discernible.

Edit: I just looked up where in the story ep 207 is and that seems like an awful starting spot for viewers not familiar with the series. Seems about where the dubbing left off so I can appreciate not missing anything but for newcomers it's basically starting on a zany filler arc that's not overly representational of the series at large. Oh well, there are enough OP fans to sustain it and then Water 7 comes up which is a good arc. Yes I know that the foxy arc isn't technically filler but lets be real, it is.

Cranzor

That's good to hear as I'm only at around episode 40. I'm a little worried that I'll feel left out when it airs on Saturday, but I'm very excited for it and I think I'll still enjoy it a lot.

But yeah, so far, I love One Piece. Like others have said, going from multiple episodes a day to one a week is going to be tough!

Raxus

207 is a good spot because davey back fight is a good breather before water 7/ Enis lobby goes balls to the wall

Plus there is a recap arc before it and if we started at Water 7 people would get scared off when they start doing callbacks to earlier arcs and Water 7/EL has a TON of that.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
If there's one thing Toonami has shown me lately, it's the massive gap in quality between Viz dubs and Funimation dubs.

With Viz, the actor's deliveries are either stiff or completely phoned in. Specifically Kyle Hebert as Aizen, who isn't acting, he's just reading (can't really blame him, not even Al Pacino could make his bullshit sound good). It's also not helped by the literal translations. As much as weeaboos want them, literal translations are a bad idea. Meanings and idioms can be lost over time, and sometimes a character can be improved (Ted Woolsey turned Kefka from an annoying idiot to the RPG equivalent of The Joker, all through liberal translation)

With Funimation, the actors are actually into it. They show energy and passion, and Funimation also gets creative with the translations.
For example (this is a One Piece spoiler post-206)
The character Kaku spoke in a manner mostly used for older men despite being 23 years old. To reflect this, Funimation had him use really outdated slang.
That's how one gets creative.

"But Daniel, GXP was by Funimation and that was horrible!" Yes I know, but it was an early dub, and even now Funi isn't perfect. I'm sure a lot of those Ecchi series they do aren't up to the same quality as DBZ Kai, Casshern Sins, Soul Eater and One Piece.

"But Daniel, GXP was by Funimation and that was horrible!" Yes I know, but it was an early dub, and even now Funi isn't perfect. I'm sure a lot of those Ecchi series they do aren't up to the same quality as DBZ Kai, Casshern Sins, Soul Eater and One Piece.

there's also the part where the source material is complete garbage. the only way to save GXP was probably to make it a gag dub.

Seda

If there's one thing Toonami has shown me lately, it's the massive gap in quality between Viz dubs and Funimation dubs.

With Viz, the actor's deliveries are either stiff or completely phoned in. Specifically Kyle Hebert as Aizen, who isn't acting, he's just reading (can't really blame him, not even Al Pacino could make his bullshit sound good). It's also not helped by the literal translations. As much as weeaboos want them, literal translations are a bad idea. Meanings and idioms can be lost over time, and sometimes a character can be improved (Ted Woolsey turned Kefka from an annoying idiot to the RPG equivalent of The Joker, all through liberal translation)

With Funimation, the actors are actually into it. They show energy and passion, and Funimation also gets creative with the translations.
For example (this is a One Piece spoiler post-206)
The character Kaku spoke in a manner mostly used for older men despite being 23 years old. To reflect this, Funimation had him use really outdated slang.
That's how one gets creative.

Yep. Bleach and Naruto are really spotty (the latter does get better....a little) where when I'm watching Soul Eater, Casshern, One Piece, or FMA I'm not even thinking about the lines or deliveries because they sound very natural. I'm not sure if I like Chopper's style of screaming/crying but that's not really a quality thing.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
there's also the part where the source material is complete garbage. the only way to save GXP was probably to make it a gag dub.

That'd be hard as gag dubs only really work for shows that are serious in tone. Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged works because everyone takes these children's card games so seriously. GXP is already a comedy, it would be like RiffTrax trying to riff Spy Hard.

Naruto's dub gets a lot better and Bleach's gets WORSE.

Sounds like Maile Flanagan becomes a lot less shaky. The toning down of "Believe It" probably helped.

But yeah, Bleach is just a slog. Nobody gives a shit. A Bleach Abridged series would have better actors.

That'd be hard as gag dubs only really work for shows that are serious in tone. Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged works because everyone takes these children's card games so seriously. GXP is already a comedy, it would be like RiffTrax trying to riff Spy Hard.

and it would still be better probably :p

Raxus

would it have been a bad idea to start at the recap arc?

Ehhhhhhhhhhh.

Where we are starting you get to settle in with each of the strawhats and get to know their personalities. You will probably pick up a few of the 'rules' of this show during the Davy Back Fight as well. Ocean's Dream really sucks. Good news is all this is rather short for the shows standards and we will be in Water 7 soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom