• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The
school play
ep is a favorite of mine. Kinda like the driver's license ep of DBZ.

Don't remember the
bike fixing one
, though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I divide episodes of Inuyasha into three distinct categories:

1. Awesome episodes that take place in the modern era.
2. Great episodes where Shippo draws something.
3. Filler.

Yea but that doesn't stop them from being fun. My thing was a bit of a spoiler though since
he doesn't get that power until much later. The shooting diamonds out of his sword thing that is

oh yeah, i thought they were great. just trying to communicate that they weren't a big deal spoiler-wise lol

Netflix has all of Season 1 but for some reason don't have any of the others.

I think the only other place you could find it is Adult Swim Gold but I don't qualify so I can't check

Netflix has all of Season 1 but for some reason don't have any of the others.

I think the only other place you could find it is Adult Swim Gold but I don't qualify so I can't check

Really? I might need to renew my sub...

Also, is crunchyroll worth the money? I'm close to biting...

Really? I might need to renew my sub...

Also, is crunchyroll worth the money? I'm close to biting...

Take the free trial, and if you don't find enough stuff, don't sign up right away. They'll throw you another free trial code down the line.

Side questions: with a couple of anime streaming services out there right now, is there one that stands out? Is there a lot of series overlap? How much of that stuff is on Hulu, where the money might go a little farther in terms of overall TV selection?

Tamanon

Banned
I think Hulu has the best selection for dubbed anime, Crunchyroll for subbed(with less commercials too) and Netflix for old and busted anime.

Neon Alley is I think the best dubbed source, having premieres, too bad it's a linear channel format. If it was on demand, I would subscribe.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The DeMarco is very interesting to listen to, chock full of very interesting Toonami tidbits both current and classic flavors. Also, yea, y'all can clam down about the ratings right now, they are in it for the long haul unless I guess it pulls an IGPX like dive.

notes i took from the podcast (i put most of these in quotes, but 98% of it is paraphrased):

"the details of our deal with Funimation allows us to choose from one of several different shows at once"

"we know people tuned in originally for nostalgia"

"concerned with building a future for our block"

"one of the first shows we asked about was One Piece"

Funimation was uncomfortable with giving them One Piece under the terms of their original deal, but once Toonami proved it wasn't just going to fade away they got used to the idea.

"we have a list of shows we would like, they have a list of shows they would like"

One Piece came up "six months later"

DeMarco seems pretty fixated on the idea of airing new episodes

"next time on" segments for Toonami fell to a certain writer who was assigned to a show.

"couldn't get the stuff from the guys at Funimation quick enough" to create Toonami recaps for One Piece, which was the original plan

"we thought about [the starting point] for months", talked with Funimation "a lot", "could we show two episodes a week?"

"we knew a lot of the people watching would already be One Piece fans"

HD played a large role in the decision, catches the casual viewer

says no more than half the viewers are hardcore fans, the rest are just people watching TV

seems to imply Funimation suggested Davy Back

"in a perfect world, one hour a week, maybe more", not possible financially

MAJORITY ON TUMBLR SAID START ONE PIECE LATER

people who said start at the beginning were "hardcore One Piece purists" or people who haven't seen it

"not a lot of effort was made for ASA, to up-res shows, we came onboard and got Bleach in HD"

"we have a minute or two to play with each week" for Toonami stuff

will create future One Piece promos "when we know a good arc is coming, when we have a chance to draw people to it", possibly character stuff

"when Toonami started we had much more of a say" in programming

"around Gundam Wing/Tenchi, people started coming to us"

"ratings will have to do better than they're doing for expansion, it's possible one day, not something in the immediate future, i do not see another night happening; doesn't make sense"

"we grew Toonami slowly the first time, we're growing it slowly the second time; we're playing a long game"

"all we want is for Toonami to slowly grow"

"One Piece is not a gamble show like Deadman Wonderland"

5 year period where programming department took over

One Piece has to absolutely TANK to get the boot. example DeMarco gives is a million dropping to 100,000 total viewers.

"ADHD and SNL are not directly competing with us, they're just going after males like we do"

"we get a lot of viewers for the time of night"

"we are not worried about One Piece's dip; we were surprised by how it did on its premiere, and the dip just brought it back to about where we thought it was going to be when it premiered"

"you're not going to get a sense of how a show is doing for 6-8 weeks"

Jintor

Fine by me. I could stand to watch a solid hour of it, it flies by, but not at the expense of Soul Eater, i.e. the best show on Toonami that doesn't involve giant robots or space bounty hunters

I thought the whole Funimation pick-and-choose deal was an interesting tidbit - wonder if the selection changes every once and a while, or if a show ends, does another take its place.

Take the free trial, and if you don't find enough stuff, don't sign up right away. They'll throw you another free trial code down the line.

I took your advice and signed up for a free trial. I like the selection they have but have encountered some streaming problems on my 360 and don't like the awkward way your queue is set up, it needs to be more like netflix.

Jintor

tumblr_mgf5h2F1xi1qao1fjo1_500.gif

I hope Naruto goes through the process depicted in this GIF one day

Does DeMarco give a reason why they don't release ratings based on the 18-49, which was the format used for over a decade (and to my knowledge still being used)? I miss the ol Ratings bump... :(

Does DeMarco give a reason why they don't release ratings based on the 18-49, which was the format used for over a decade (and to my knowledge still being used)? I miss the ol Ratings bump... :(

Because it's probably illegal. I work in radio, and the only ratings released to the public are the 12+ numbers.

Speaking of ratings....

BL7ts0MCYAAukj4.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
IGPX surprisingly holding the line.

The 103k drop with One Piece is a little worrying.

Seda

Much stronger this week! And no huge IGPX drop.

One Piece dip, but going by DeMarco's comments it isn't going anywhere and he's not worried about it.

EDIT: For reference - last week One Piece did 757k, Soul Eater 851k

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not really all that shocked at IGPX holding the line, that episode wasn't really all that bad. It's a good show when they focus on racing instead of what goes on in the background of the racing.

The OP numbers sort of make sense, the numbers will shoot up once we get to Water 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom